• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

I'll be happy to eat it. As I said I hope the game looks amazing and totally like in this shot.
I'm still skeptical of bullshots as I think we all should be by now.
HZD is in top 5 of my favorite games and my PS5 is super ready for the new one.
I don't think that these screens looks good enough to be considered bullshots.

They look great but not unrealistic, look at the npcs, they clearly still look crossgen (high level crossgen, but still crossgen)

this is morales on ps5
msm_milesmorales_ps5_6pklm.jpg

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I don't know. I don't expect the world like others here do. I consider next gen to be more about better AI and overall game systems.

I want suprr cheap games and console so we can enjoy more games. Less money. More employment. More developers. Gaming becomes more accessible. I am fine with xbox one or wiiu level graphics.

Can you imagine new console that is streamlined and is 199$ with games starting at 30$? I don't care how they look.

xPikYx

I don't know. I don't expect the world like others here do. I consider next gen to be more about better AI and overall game systems.
Forget about AI, that it is more up to the developer than the actual computational power, many games in early 2000 have better AI than today's games. If not graphical, I expect more next gen experience from physic interaction with the environment, this is more something GPU related, but still, it is up to the developer to program that physic interaction. We have many games from past generations that have better physic than today's games, again. So all we have left is graphic and ray tracing

xPikYx

I think is more than just resolution, I think they are photoshooped or something. I mean 4k is already good enough for quality, 8k gaming will be definitive, but something happening in 8 years from now

xPikYx

The second shot doesn't convince me, it looks "enhanced" somehow, maybe the lightning, the color saturation, Aloy model is definitely better (but we should compare it to the PS4 version of the same game, not the previous), NPCs meh, they look on par, geometrically the environment is more dense but not much improved, most of the wow effect is thanks to the lightning and colours

The second shot doesn't convince me, it looks "enhanced" somehow, maybe the lightning, the color saturation, Aloy model is definitely better (but we should compare it to the PS4 version of the same game, not the previous), NPCs meh, they look on par, geometrically the environment is more dense but not much improved, most of the wow effect is thanks to the lightning and colours
The PS4 version wont look much better than the previous game IMO...theres only so much you can do with PS4...Also the difference is huge IDK what people are seeing lol.

Banned
the PS4 version will have worse LOD settings, lower resolution, 30fps only and lower res shadows + textures

those will be the differences. it will be like playing a PC game on High vs playing it on a mix of Medium and Low... noticeable but not by much
on PS4 Pro it could quite literally run almost PS5 settings if they go with an 1800cb resolution and 30fps.

1800cb is a native resolution of 1608x1800 (2,894,400 pixels)
4K is 3860x2160 (8,337,600 pixels)

so native 4k is ~2.9x the resolution of 1800cb. the PS5's GPU is about 2.5x to 3x as powerful as the GPU of the PS4 Pro
add to that running at 30fps and I could totally see the PS4 Pro version running almost PS5 settings with reduction in settings that are VRAM hungry

we don't know how the performance mode on PS5 will look I don't think... so that performance mode especially will look very close to the PS4 Pro version i bet

the PS4 version will have worse LOD settings, lower resolution, 30fps only and lower res shadows + textures

those will be the differences. it will be like playing a PC game on High vs playing it on a mix of Medium and Low... noticeable but not by much
on PS4 Pro it could quite literally run almost PS5 settings if they go with an 1800cb resolution and 30fps.

1800cb is a native resolution of 1608x1800 (2,894,400 pixels)
4K is 3860x2160 (8,337,600 pixels)

so native 4k is ~2.9x the resolution of 1800cb. the PS5's GPU is about 2.5x to 3x as powerful as the GPU of the PS4 Pro
add to that running at 30fps and I could totally see the PS4 Pro version running almost PS5 settings with reduction in settings that are VRAM hungry

we don't know how the performance mode on PS5 will look I don't think... so that performance mode especially will look very close to the PS4 Pro version i bet
This is wrong...LOL!

Last edited:
I would wait for the final release to really compare the two
And her upgrades this generation:

“Each generation of consoles brings extra power that lets us add even denser polygons to our character models, so we can create finer details such as peach fuzz, smooth contouring, or finer texture details and accurate materials expression, to name a few. And not only do visual aspects benefit from the new PlayStation 5 hardware — we have also increased the number of skeletal joints to bring our deformations and facial expressions to a whole new level for more credible and immersive character performance. All in all, a dream come true for both players and developers!”

I maintain that Aloy is one of the best designed third person character models in the entire video game industry, especially her iconic hair which is something almost every developer still struggles to get right in games after all this time. I’m looking forward to playing as her again in a few more months, and not looking forward to whatever new appearance debates this blog post may spark.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Once I thought bullshot where 4k resolution, now that we have 4k games what resolution is a bullshot?
Bullshots have nothing to do with resolution. They've been part of marketing since forever. It just means there's a lot of effects/filters or retouching added to the image that are otherwise completely absent during actual gameplay.

GymWolf

But that’s a bullshot lol that section Did not look that good
Yeah lol i forgot to write that this screenshot looked more like a bullshot to me but it is pretty close in the final game (its probably a pic in photo mode with the usual small enhancements), and guerrilla are better than insomniac in terms of graphic imo so i have more trust in them.

The pics of horizon don't look otherwordly in terms of details tbh, it looks like a great crossgen game\early exclusive, i'm replaying w3 with texture mods and some details are very similar, and we talk about a 2015 game even if enhanced.

Banned
This is wrong...LOL!

it's not... and that's proven by any cross gen release out there. the mid gen refreshes play the games at roughly the same quality but lower framerates or resolutions, sometimes both)

I'm not even gonna click on that link because I know it will not have relevant information to what I have said, otherwise you would have brought it up hopefully

Last edited:

Kenpachii

What makes it so unrealistic to you?! The lights?

How the characters are all put in the picture, doesn't seem like a real world to me seems like a made put in place stuff just for the sake of a picture, there latest trailer did the same thing. Where everything was put in a place to do exactly what they wanted for a trailer solution even while the visual quality is archievable it just feels fake.

It's a thing those company's need to stop doing, just play the game and showcase how it looks like by actually doing some content,. instead of heavy soaped up trailers.

They did the same for there original horizon zero dawn trailer.

Last edited:

GymWolf

How the characters are all put in the picture, doesn't seem like a real world to me seems like a made put in place stuff just for the sake of a picture, there latest trailer did the same thing. Where everything was put in a place to do exactly what they wanted for a trailer solution even while the visual quality is archievable it just feels fake.

It's a thing those company's need to stop doing, just play the game and showcase how it looks like by actually doing some content,. instead of heavy soaped up trailers.
So how characters are displaced in the pic?

They talked about improving how lively the city feels in the new game, maybe the game is just filled with npcs doing different things?!

I don't fully understand what you say, many games have a lot of npc doing stuff inside taverns etc, it is because it looks too perfect?! I mean its a still image, in motion probably you are gonna see all the flaws in animations, repetions etc.

Sorry if i don't understand what you say :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Kenpachii

So how characters are displaced in the pic?

They talked about improving how lively the city feels in the new game, maybe the game is just filled with npcs doing different things?!

I don't fully understand what you say, many games have a lot of npc doing stuff inside taverns etc, it is because it looks too perfect?! I mean its a still image, in motion probably you are gonna see all the flaws in animations, repetions etc.

Sorry if i don't understand what you say :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Hard to explain.

But its basically putting objects in a screen just to make a screenshot and make it better then what u get served in a presentation, while if you would walk or play the game yourself u see something different. Now the game can look even better then the picture. but the picture looks fake as hell because of this.

AC games also do this with there advertisement

Advertisement

maxresdefault.jpg

Reality

maxresdefault.jpg

Another example

assassins_creed_odessey5.jpg

AC-Odyssey-E3-2018-Shot-11.jpg

Bit shit picture, but it conveys the idea of how gameplay actually looks like versus soaped up pictures, even while that gameplay picture has more detail into it ( if it wasn't pixelated then top picture ) it's still kinda fake looking.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Hard to explain.

But its basically putting objects in a screen just to make a screenshot and make it better then what u get served in a presentation, while if you would walk or play the game yourself u see something different. Now the game can look even better then the picture. but the picture looks fake as hell because of this.

AC games also do this with there advertisement

Advertisement

maxresdefault.jpg

Reality

maxresdefault.jpg

Another example

assassins_creed_odessey5.jpg

AC-Odyssey-E3-2018-Shot-11.jpg

Bit shit picture, but it conveys the idea of how gameplay actually looks like versus soaped up pictures, even while that gameplay picture has more detail into it ( if it wasn't pixelated then top picture ) it's still kinda fake looking.
Ok now i get what you say, thanks for the explanation.

This is another example

rdr2_screenshot-077.jpg

Although i think that outside of combat when things are more calm you can achieve something similar to these promotional screenshot, i'm sure that you can find many real pics of rdr2 looking pretty close to my example.

Last edited:

kyussman

It's crazy when you are as old as I am and you've seen the evolution of graphics from Pong to today......things have already gone so far beyond what my child brain could ever have imagined.....it's all just gravy from here,lol.
It's nuts that a 10 year old today gets to experience the graphics they do......to my old head anyway!

Yeah okay. I wouldn’t be surprised is the PS4 version looks about the same except for resolution and the hero lighting on Aloy.
It's the PS fanboy getting a little too excited for a nice looking game but claiming something incredible. This just looks like what it is, a cross gen title, people are seeing something that's not there with this one unfortunately 😕

It's the PS fanboy getting a little too excited for a nice looking game but claiming something incredible. This just looks like what it is, a cross gen title, people are seeing something that's not there with this one unfortunately 😕
It looks good for a cross gen title for sure, but it's not blowing my mind.

xPikYx

True, it is nothing special, good looking for a 2022 game but nothing mind blowing, we had already far superior showcases of what possible on these consoles if games are developed exclusively for them

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
True, it is nothing special, good looking for a 2022 game but nothing mind blowing, we had already far superior showcases of what possible on these consoles if games are developed exclusively for them
I think it looks better than ratchet which is probably the best looking game on consoles right now, but yes, Matrix and Hellblade show whats possible on next gen.

Hope to see more from Avatar next year. It should show just what is possible on these next gen systems when it comes to rendering forests and natural environments.

Last edited:
it will be still a gen til native 4k at 60fps becomes a thing with rt decades. They are at 1440-1800p for 60 fps with lower settings just like at 5700xt would do + 10%. We would need 6800xt in consoles for native 4k. See guardians of the galaxy look great yet only 30 fps and still not native 100% of the time. But games suck anyway we have bigger problems than res or fps.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
^Video Games definitely need a ground up redesign. I was talking to some friends about Flying in horizon, and they said it would break the game's narrative structure if you can just fly to the final boss area. Or break pacing. And Im like how is that a bad thing? Why have we shackled ourselves to these dated concepts? Why are we treating video games like movies? Who gives a shit about pacing or story structure in a video game? This is an interactive form of media and if I find myself at the boss' door at the start of the game then great. Lets design something for that scenario, but give players the freedom of flying, breaking walls, and levels, and skip half the level if they figure out the best way to beat the level.

Removing tools just so they can have artificial walls like they did in PS2 GTAs feels archaic to me. Same goes for not being able to blow walls and make my own path through the levels because devs are still designing A.I encounters like MGS2 in 2001. I.e., you enter a room and encounter some A.I soldiers, deal with them and move on. It's rigid and boring.

I would hate to see devs finally have access to these fantastic CPUs and do nothing with destruction, physics, fast traversal (not just flying) and A.I because it would break traditional game design principles and narrative heavy mission structures. Nah gut all that story bs instead and give me a fully interactive world I can tackle the way I want.

Last edited:

Utherellus

^Video Games definitely need a ground up redesign. I was talking to some friends about Flying in horizon, and they said it would break the game's narrative structure if you can just fly to the final boss area. Or break pacing. And Im like how is that a bad thing? Why are we shackled to these dated concepts? Why are we treating video games like movies? Who gives a shit about pacing or story structure in a video game? This is an interactive form of media and if I find myself at the boss' door at the start of the game then great. Lets design something for that scenario, but give players the freedom of flying, breaking walls, and levels, and skip half the level if they figure out the best way to beat the level.

Removing tools just so they can have artificial walls like they did in PS2 GTAs feels archaic to me. Same goes for not being able to blow walls and make my own path through the levels because devs are still designing A.I encounters like MGS2 in 2001. I.e., you enter a room and encounter some A.I soldiers, deal with them and move on. It's rigid and boring.

I would hate to see devs finally have access to these fantastic CPUs and do nothing with destruction, physics, fast traversal (not just flying) and A.I because it would break traditional game design principles and narrative heavy mission structures. Nah gut all that story bs instead and give me a fully interactive world I can tackle the way I want.

This. Games really need to take bet on sandbox and freedom of will oriented gameplay. Too many restraints. If I had 1 dollar everytime I asked ingame "can I go there or do this" and answer was no, I would be filthy rich.

But in contrast, ,my brain exploded when I found out that I can fight Ganon - the most important villain in whole BOTW, immediately after leaving 15 minute prologue plateau... It was amazing feeling of being free. Damn, what a game...

GymWolf

On the top of my head only senua 2 is far better.

Ratchet is on par but it is easy to look good when you don't search for a realistic style (also not an open world)

Forza 5 looks great but not superior and matrix is a limited demo, not a real videogame.

And senua is a small game, not a full fledged open world.

In terms of open world i think that only heavily modded stuff on pc looks better\on par.
^Video Games definitely need a ground up redesign. I was talking to some friends about Flying in horizon, and they said it would break the game's narrative structure if you can just fly to the final boss area. Or break pacing. And Im like how is that a bad thing? Why have we shackled ourselves to these dated concepts? Why are we treating video games like movies? Who gives a shit about pacing or story structure in a video game? This is an interactive form of media and if I find myself at the boss' door at the start of the game then great. Lets design something for that scenario, but give players the freedom of flying, breaking walls, and levels, and skip half the level if they figure out the best way to beat the level.

This is a bad take, some games are ok as sandbox with total freedom, but some games need a structure if they have a story, sense of progression, introduction of new gameppay elements etc.

You have the fucking tlou as an avatar dude, that thing is the opposite of what you want.

I want a rich, paced story from horizon, not some shitty narrative like zelda botw where going into the final boss after 2 hours doesn't break nothing because you have nothing to break to begin with.

Thank god majority of games have a solid structure, botw was just one different way of doing things, not the only correct one.

Last edited:
Forget about AI, that it is more up to the developer than the actual computational power, many games in early 2000 have better AI than today's games. If not graphical, I expect more next gen experience from physic interaction with the environment, this is more something GPU related, but still, it is up to the developer to program that physic interaction. We have many games from past generations that have better physic than today's games, again. So all we have left is graphic and ray tracing
Once we have high resolutions, high framerates, , RT for GI+shadows+reflections, full destruction and accurate physics systems we will be at a point where there’s no more limitations for developers for most of the current genres. It will all be down to quality of game rather than tech hurdles.

GymWolf

I'm not sure how true that is tbh.
It is easier to make pixar style textures than hyper detailed\realistic textures.

We are more severe when we judge realistic graphic compared to pixar style graphic, we tend to notice flaws more easily because we have a real life counterpart.

Nobody is gonna say that the aliens in ratchet don't look realistic enough.

And it is the same with destruction\interaction, nobody even called out ratchet when the wood boxes or the armours of the enemies disappear after a while but everyone noticed the rocks disappearing after a couple of seconds in the horizon 2 first gameplay when the mammouth destroy the rock structure.

People talked shit about water\sand interaction in horizon 2 but nobody talks about how shitty is sand\water interaction in ratchet.

If you want another example, old stylized\cartoony games looks better\gets old better than old realistic styles like from the ps2 era, why? because it is easy to forget graphical flaws in a cartoony looking games compared to games that try to emulate reality.

When kena was showed for the first time we were all talking about cg\pixar quality with ease even if the game has noticeable worse graphic than ratchet, that's how easy is to look good with that artstyle.

easy is the wrong word, i'm sure insomniac worked his ass off to achieve ratchet graphic level, easier compared to realistic style is more precise.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I care ALOT about pacing and story structure in a video game! But I think if GG put flying in the game, they'd just change the pacing of the story to include that.

Top Bottom