• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA is famous for satirizing America, will R* have the balls to satirize the current climate?

Will R* stick to their guns for GTAVI and do what they do best and that's making fun of everyone?

• Yes, R*'s big d**k attitude will not be tainted by a few online opinions and trusts in the masses.

Votes: 62 43.4%
  • No, even a behemoth like R* can not stand up to the wannabe lobbyists.

Votes: 81 56.6%

• Total voters
They definately will. They made fun of hipsters, feminists, sjw's before. Why would one of the biggest video game company cool off on the provocation that makes them billions? Since its inception GTA was always scrutinized by groups for its violence, representation of women, making fun of gay people etc. Nothing stops this train.

karasu

Why wouldn't they? People have ALWAYS been offered by GTA. There was no magical time where the game was treated as business as usual. There is always a ton of controversy. They will embrace it.

carlosrox

Banned
Can they make a satire out of COVID stupidity?

Or does virtue signaling not allow that?

Not like you'd even be able to tell these days!

(Watch Dogs Legion already did it brilliantly anyway)

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
They can safe satirize the right and be praised in the gaming press as bing brilliant and edgy, but if they dare touch SJWs or wokeness and group think and cancel culture their review scores will take a hit. They could also get called racist or homophobic or bigots.

Woggleman

Rockstar is in the category of Family Guy and South Park who do whatever they want and have no fear. The woke scolds are sort of like vicious dogs in the sense that they can sense fear and when they see it they go in for the kill.

If anything, I would expect them to go the opposite way and align with the SJW and help push the false narratives from those camps.

EDMIX

Of course not. Getting cancelled today could get your game delisted.

??? Yet GTA survived this...

Same story, different day. I see the same people getting triggered and the same people making it sound like the sky is falling.

GTA will be just fine.

Like I said, same shit, different day.

None of this is brand new. Folks simply want to sensationalize it. Yet games continue to exist with great violence and sex in them today, go figure. (sky intact)

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
??? Yet GTA survived this...

Same story, different day. I see the same people getting triggered and the same people making it sound like the sky is falling.

GTA will be just fine.

Like I said, same shit, different day.

None of this is brand new. Folks simply want to sensationalize it. Yet games continue to exist with great violence and sex in them today, go figure. (sky intact)
It’s not the same. Today we have weaponized outcry and mass internet condemnation. There will be young people on the side of cancelling GTA if it speaks about the untouchable subjects (China virus, looting riots, police brutality, etc).

EDMIX

It’s not the same. Today we have weaponized outcry and mass internet condemnation. There will be young people on the side of cancelling GTA if it speaks about the untouchable subjects (China virus, looting riots, police brutality, etc).

Yet people are triggered over GTA...RIGHT NOW, TODAY.

Enough buy it, don't give a shit and will support it.

So I don't know how its "not the same" when that article is literally about GTAV, right now. We've heard all that shit before though. Plenty of "young people" were also on the side of cancelling Far Cry 5 only for it to become the best selling Far Cry in history.

Not as much people give a shit about this crap as you guys actually think.

THEAP99

Banned
It really annoys me that people on all sides and whatever want to suppress artist visions and just the artist's themselves to cater to their beliefs. Super annoying. Just turn your brain off and enjoy entertainment or challenge your own beliefs for once, critical thinking is a good thing. We all should be able to laugh at ourselves

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned

Watch Dogs Legion was 1000% shitting on that stuff.

Awesome game, excellent world and commentary.

The sad thing is how accurate it is.

EDMIX

Watch Dogs Legion was 1000% shitting on that stuff.

Awesome game, excellent world and commentary.

The sad thing is how accurate it is.

I'm saying, so much of that series talks about those subjects its not even funny. Legion especially, its literally arguing against a police state, with people violently protesting. In the Watchdogs Universe, the US is literally linked with China by some cable.

Years later, such a thing was entertained and was later rejected in fear of China stealing data. So I'd say the story in Watchdogs series is right on the ball with lots of shit that will likely happen or could happen in the future. I hear Legions tackles a lot of that, so I have no clue why anyone would really be making it sound like any of those subjects can't be talked about in a game lol

carlosrox

Banned
I'm saying, so much of that series talks about those subjects its not even funny. Legion especially, its literally arguing against a police state, with people violently protesting. In the Watchdogs Universe, the US is literally linked with China by some cable.

Years later, such a thing was entertained and was later rejected in fear of China stealing data. So I'd say the story in Watchdogs series is right on the ball with lots of shit that will likely happen or could happen in the future. I hear Legions tackles a lot of that, so I have no clue why anyone would really be making it sound like any of those subjects can't be talked about in a game lol

Everybody ignored Legion though. Makes you think.

With how damn relevant it is with today's bullshit you'd think people would be talking about it. Guess it struck a nerve with people who know deep down that the world in the game is eerily similar to our reality.

People don't wanna admit they're being played for fools.

Anyways the game gets my highest recommendation. It's crazy how anti-government, police, and bullshit regulations it is. I'm almost surprised it even released.

Haven't seen such an anti-government work of fiction since V For Vendetta.

Both absolutely show EVERYBODY being against this shit and standing up. It's like an anarchist's wet dream.

The messaging of both is about how anybody can stand up if they really want to.

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government, the government should be afraid of its people."

Last edited:

EDMIX

Why do you think the main talent behind the series left months ago?
yea I'm sure they hated all that money and left for moral reasons / s

You telling me they have to fucking die at 1 studio or something? They have enough money to start their own big projects, not everyone leaving a studio is because of some massive "WOKE" issue, they have personal lives, they have their own projects they want to work on. Shit, I worked at Home Depot years ago, left to work in Real Estate (best decision of my fucking life) has NOTHING to do with Home Depot personally, I'd recommend anyone work for them, I don't care for the politics of the owner of the company, but that has NOTHING to do with why I left.

You'll find most really don't give a fuck about those things, folks simply exaggerate anything that goes on as if every who left was some morally just company man and woman lol I don't even think I've ever come across a person that left their job for um "moral reasons", its 99% of times for money, lack of it, wanting more of it else where, or they have enough to start a passion project etc.

pzq04KZ.jpg

Catphish

If anyone can, R* can. The GTA brand is bullet proof. It'll sell millions regardless.

However, i don't need them to do it. And if they do, it has to be more nuanced than the satire of V, if you can even call it that. That shit was so brute-force and cynical, it killed the humor.

If R* decided to piss all over modern stupidity, and executed well, I bet they'd be rewarded for it.

Fortune favors the brave.

Stuart360

I think the rumoured remasters of the orig trilogy will be a good barometer for this. If they remaster them intact, and done censor anything, then that will be a good sign for GTA6 for me.
The ironic thing for me is that ithink sales for GTA6 would be huge if they took the piss out of SJW culture, i mean sales will be huge anyway, but i could imagine this game being the 'poster child' for the 'war' against the SJW agenda, and really send a message that the masses are fed up of their bullshit.

anothertech

They will make ppl from every side feel the heat. I expect race to be a huge part of the satire this time. And half the writing to be woke as fuck cancel culture. But only because the more woke it sounds the more of a joke it will be.

I have full faith in rockstar to make everyone feel bad about everything.

YCoCg

Has no one paid attention to the smaller things in GTA games like the websites, etc? They've always took the piss out of everyone, difference is both side will cry about it now like bitches, I could pull up any of the Republican mocking pages from GTAV, post it in the Politics section and I guarantee people there will cry about it being the liberal MSM agenda ran by SJWs.

Same goes for the Democrat mocking stuff if you posted it in a place like Ree, it'd be called alt-right trash that needs to be cancelled.

Jon Neu

Banned
I see the same people getting triggered and the same people making it sound like the sky is falling.

Seems to me that the woke apologist in yourself is the one getting triggered.

Other people here are just wondering if R* is going to stick to their guns or get with the times and do what most of the industry is doing, which is cater to SJW insanity.

If you think we are claiming the sky is falling, then you have zero capacity of observation and self-awareness, but again, you are one of those people who claims there's nothing woke in TLOU2, so you probably have your "answers" already written no matter what the outcome finally is.

Last edited:

Spoog

Banned
I think they will do what they always have: take the piss out of everyone.

Rip that useless prick Trump to pieces.
Decimate the stupidity of pronouns.
Tear apart the insane Qanon psychopaths.
Parody the absurdity of woke culture to insane levels.

There is so much they can go for, and both sides are absolutely full of crybaby snowflakes that people from here and Resetera will rage and cheer in equal measure at what happens. I don’t think R* give a fuck, its all good material from them - they aren’t going to lose a significant amounts sales whatever they do.

Ten_Fold

Yeah, GTA games are larger than life. And by the time GTA VI is released (say in 2022 at the earliest) people will be truly fed up of the SJWs. It is showing right now. If they satire the left, I will buy the game on PC when its available by 2024.
Man we can only hope that’s the case.

DiviniDee

Banned
No because rockstar isn’t the same rockstar they were years ago. They’re afraid to discuss certain topics now. If they do, it’ll be the same way other developers do it (orange man bad, we are the resistance)

that’s why I’m glad the next gta might be set in the 80s

mcz117chief

Everybody ignored Legion though. Makes you think.

With how damn relevant it is with today's bullshit you'd think people would be talking about it. Guess it struck a nerve with people who know deep down that the world in the game is eerily similar to our reality.

People don't wanna admit they're being played for fools.

Anyways the game gets my highest recommendation. It's crazy how anti-government, police, and bullshit regulations it is. I'm almost surprised it even released.

Haven't seen such an anti-government work of fiction since V For Vendetta.

Both absolutely show EVERYBODY being against this shit and standing up. It's like an anarchist's wet dream.

The messaging of both is about how anybody can stand up if they really want to.

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government, the government should be afraid of its people."
That actually sounds really good, I'll check it out.

ZywyPL

Banned
That;s partially what makes the series so popular, isn't it? All the controversy and the media headlines are nothing but a free marketing in the greater picture. You know how they say - forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
If they even touch satire of race or trans craze - they'll be burned down to the ground.

In a time where eBay bans the private selling/buying of some Dr. Seuss books.... Yeah, good luck with that.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i think they will and i can't wait to see the reeemob try to cancel GTA ahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha

regawdless

Banned
Satire is possible without offending people.

People seek to be offended by everything.
i think they will and i can't wait to see the reeemob try to cancel GTA ahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha

I would love to see that. But cancel culture and political correctness have advanced so far. People, books etc. get cancelled for the smallest and stupidest reasons.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely not, it will be set in the past again.

Banjo64

cumsessed
We saw the reaction of some of the extremists when Cyberpunk did some satire. GTA will become too pussified as they chase the cash.

Top Bottom