• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 | PC - 360 - ONE - ONEX | 4K Graphics Comparison

Uusis

Banned
I would say the One X is the definitive version to me because PC has no HDR
I still dont understand why hdr is so big deal. I have older oled from LG (65e6v, 16 year model) and had ps4 pro and x. Now I dont have a monitor for my pc so it is hooked to tv and Division 2, Far Cry 5 or Doom Eternal looks little different if hdr is on (not worse or better so to speak). Mind that my tv ain't calibratet but some custom settings tweaking is done by hand.

And little to this topic too, Halo MCC is getting hdr support on pc. When? Don't know but I will try to find source for news/rumours on this.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I still dont understand why hdr is so big deal. I have older oled from LG (65e6v, 16 year model) and had ps4 pro and x. Now I dont have a monitor for my pc so it is hooker to tv and Division 2, Far Cry 5 or Doom Eternal looks little different if hdr is on (not worse or better so to speak). Mind that my tv ain't calibratet but some custom settings tweaking is done by hand.

And little to this topic too, Halo MCC is getting hdr support on pc. When? Don't know but I will try to find source for news/rumours on this.

Halo ODST mentions HDR.

Thanati

Ok, please forgive me here but I’m not seeing a HUGE difference between the 360 version and the rest.
Man, I miss the 360 days. Sigh.

Hayriko

Ok, please forgive me here but I’m not seeing a HUGE difference between the 360 version and the rest.
Man, I miss the 360 days. Sigh.
It ain't that huge. Just a res bump, higher fps and textures res bump?
Don't know if they done the last one too

DavidGzz

If that video above is any indication, Infinite will look just fine once Ray-tracing is enabled. I hope they work to get that ready for launch instead of having to wait, but I can always play other games while I wait.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
If that video above is any indication, Infinite will look just fine once Ray-tracing is enabled. I hope they work to get that ready for launch instead of having to wait, but I can always play other games while I wait.

It help games alot and that just screen space GI not even real raytracing.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned

Sure but it's not a good look to have a ray-tracing patch come out AFTER the game is already released.

DavidGzz

Sure but it's not a good look to have a ray-tracing patch come out AFTER the game is already released.

True, I know this is going into conspiracy theory territory but I almost wonder if they are doing to to not overshadow the XB1X version. I just don't know how they can be so sure it won't be ready when we are this far out still. It is odd and make me worry about the overall product.

It help games alot and that just screen space GI not even real raytracing.

Nice! I can see it making a great difference if the more simple graphics are anything to go by. Similar to how radically different Minecraft looks.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
But it shows what’s doable. End of the day the reshape hack is done by an amateur where the people making the game should be able to do it even better
That's what I was trying to say, but I just woke up, so I may not be as coherent as I would like to.

supernova8

Banned
True, I know this is going into conspiracy theory territory but I almost wonder if they are doing to to not overshadow the XB1X version. I just don't know how they can be so sure it won't be ready when we are this far out still. It is odd and make me worry about the overall product.

Yeah I'm not sure what to think. They have had 5 years to build this game and it's still cross-gen. I suppose it makes sense, if they started building it 5 years ago then the foundations will be firmly XB1/XBX-based design philosophy. Designing around the slow hard-drive, shit CPU etc. One would kinda think the only games that will look truly next-gen are the ones that started development maybe 2 or 3 years ago max. Either that or 343 are just shit at making nice looking games. I don't recall any of the Halo games ever being jaw-dropping.

DavidGzz

Yeah I'm not sure what to think. They have had 5 years to build this game and it's still cross-gen. I suppose it makes sense, if they started building it 5 years ago then the foundations will be firmly XB1/XBX-based design philosophy. Designing around the slow hard-drive, shit CPU etc. One would kinda think the only games that will look truly next-gen are the ones that started development maybe 2 or 3 years ago max. Either that or 343 are just shit at making nice looking games. I don't recall any of the Halo games ever being jaw-dropping.

I don't think they don't have the know how, it simply comes down to last gen holding it back graphically. Unless they lost a lot of talent since Halo 4, that games was really impressive for being a 360 game.

supernova8

Banned
I don't think they don't have the know how, it simply comes down to last gen holding it back graphically. Unless they lost a lot of talent since Halo 4, that games was really impressive for being a 360 game.

Yeah I get the feeling the same may be the case regardless of what Microsoft does, considering there are over 100 million PS4s out in the wild. Third parties must be dreading dropping support for PS4.

DavidGzz

Yeah I get the feeling the same may be the case regardless of what Microsoft does, considering there are over 100 million PS4s out in the wild. Third parties must be dreading dropping support for PS4.

I bet not all of them do right away unless Sony pushes it. I am surprised Capcom did with RE8 since it seems to be the same engine, but I am happy about it since I'm selfish and want the best graphics possible.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Nice! I can see it making a great difference if the more simple graphics are anything to go by. Similar to how radically different Minecraft looks.

Check out how much switching to raytraced GI helps Metro that without it uses the same basic light probe GI like Halo Infinite:

Metro-Exodus-Screenshot-2019.02.12-12.48.16.24-1440x810.png

Metro-Exodus-Screenshot-2019.02.12-12.48.03.37-1440x810.png

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I bet not all of them do right away unless Sony pushes it. I am surprised Capcom did with RE8 since it seems to be the same engine, but I am happy about it since I'm selfish and want the best graphics possible.

The RE7 engine seems to have been designed with future-proofing in mind. The sort of visuals it puts out are pretty amazing (RE2/3 remakes!) so I'd expect them to be able to make some beautiful games with the same engine for quite a while.

the_master

Halo 3 is an absolutely beautiful game. It has its unique non realistic look that aged great.

Remember when they showed the first images that everyone was "oh the graphics suck, this is xbox 1.5", this looks old gen", etc...?

It's a shame Halo 3 didn't get the respect it deserves and have some work done to it for MCC as it looks a bit iffy at times when played at 4K - Looking at you Crows Nest. High Res texture pack would be a treat.

Top Bottom