• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:CE Anniversary Announced (MS Conf, Nov 15th 2011, $40)

thezerofire said:
I wouldn't say the campaign is necessarily the biggest part. It varies from person to person, how much time they spent in either mode. Personally, I played campaign a couple times and then played the hell out of multiplayer, but I understand that people did the opposite of this too.
I loved Combat Evolved's campaign. It's the only campaign out of all the Halo games that I played religiously. I'd come home after working all day and pop in the campaign on an almost daily basis, and usually at least one friend would stop by for co-op. It was a blast and this went on for over a year, if not multiple years. Since then, every new campaign has been downright awful in my opinion. That's not saying the games were bad. The graphics were okay, and lots of fans really appreciate the storyline. But the fun factor simply didn't carry over from the original for me. The fun from Combat Evolved has never carried over into of the latter Halo games.

I'm still waiting for a decent new campaign akin to CE's campaign. Reach is nothing like CE... And I am embittered. I still see the remake as unnecessary, not asked for, and a waste of resources. If nothing else, the remake could have been scrapped and maybe 343i should have just made even more new multiplayer maps for Reach with the Combat Evolved theme. Imagine getting like 10-14 new maps without a remake, instead of 7 with the remake. Then no toes would have been stepped on and no expectations and hopes would have been crushed. Outrage averted. But no, the bizarre remake idea won out. My feelings...

Rtas

I'm really liking the look of anniversary, the only thing that gets me is that their remake of chiefs visor looks horrible, it looks like a stretched piece of orange plastic! That and the fact that the marines have been replaced with reach's Army rangers. Considering they've got halo ce original code running underneath the graphics engine, I would've thought they'd have revamped the existing marine models

Booshka

Rtas said:
I'm really liking the look of anniversary, the only thing that gets me is that their remake of chiefs visor looks horrible, it looks like a stretched piece of orange plastic! That and the fact that the marines have been replaced with reach's Army rangers. Considering they've got halo ce original code running underneath the graphics engine, I would've thought they'd have revamped the existing marine models
A lot of those are placeholders, and the MC Helmet issue has been confirmed fixed.

Gui_PT

I have a question for anyone who may know the answer.

I've recently started playing Halo CE again it reminded me of something.

Will the cutscenes be worked on/changed in any way? Because those babies have some funkeh animations =\

Gui_PT said:
I have a question for anyone who may know the answer.

I've recently started playing Halo CE again it reminded me of something.

Will the cutscenes be worked on/changed in any way? Because those babies have some funkeh animations =\

I have played through Halo CE many times over the years but I haven't played since CEA was announced, I want it to be as fresh as possible.

clav

I'll have to admit I'm not a fan of the new sounds.

Also the explosions and plasma tracers look weird.

:\

I hope this is not all final yet.

The plasma rifle cool down close is a nice touch.

The particles leaking from the rocks was cool as well.

Timan

Developer
Question, is MP gonna come on a 2nd disc like ODST? I was thinking of selling my copy of reach and just hold off till CE.

FyreWulff

Timan said:
Question, is MP gonna come on a 2nd disc like ODST? I was thinking of selling my copy of reach and just hold off till CE.

No, all one disc, and that disc only has the anniversary remake maps

Timan

Developer
FyreWulff said:
No, all one disc, and that disc only has the anniversary remake maps

So do I have to swap discs if I wanna play reach maps? or does it just install em to the hdd.

TUROK

Saggy said:
Have these videos been posted anywhere yet? Their off of the HaloWaypoint Youtube channel and compare the differences in sound between vanilla Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary.
Whoa... I have a newfound faith in 343 now. So far it seems like they've given the weapons a much-needed "oomph", so to speak. Made them feel formidable. Can't wait to see what they're going to do with Halo 4.

Also, when Master Chief melee's with the rocket launcher in the Anniversary version, you can hear the sound Robocop makes when he moves. Very cool.

DeMeester

Saggy said:
Have these videos been posted anywhere yet? They're off of the HaloWaypoint Youtube channel and compare the differences in sound between vanilla Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary.

The new sounds sound a lot more clear and refined to me. I'm impressed.

Kiarushka

I am most definitely pleased with the weapon upgrades. Plasma rifle and the needler looks so gorgeous.

If the music has been improved (which sounds like it has been), I want to hear Siege of Madrigal.

Nostalgia will hit me so hard on November 15th. Reserved.

Gui_PT

claviertekky said:
I'll have to admit I'm not a fan of the new sounds.

Also the explosions and plasma tracers look weird.

:\

I hope this is not all final yet.

The plasma rifle cool down close is a nice touch.

The particles leaking from the rocks was cool as well.

I think you're the only person who didn't like the sounds. They are majestic

jgminto

The new weapons sound great. The Magnum looks a bit small and the needler rounds seem to be missing the traces but the rest is awesome. The Plasma Rifle looks and sounds fantastic.

AusQB

Majanew said:
The guns sound much better, as does the clanking around. And dang is this game looking gorgeous.
It actually sounds exactly the same. I think most people are jaded by the sounds of the guns in Halo 3 and Reach.

Kiarushka said:
If the music has been improved (which sounds like it has been), I want to hear Siege of Madrigal.
Sorry, dude. Siege of Madrigal is a Myth track and so it won't be in Halo:CE:A, because of copyrights. Siege of Madrigal belongs to Bungie and not to the Halo franchise.

Which clanking sound is this?
AusQB said:
It actually sounds exactly the same.
The guns? Errr... no, it doesn't. Maybe you're unclear on what "exactly the same" means, but having both versions next to each other in the videos makes the changes/update quite clear.

derFeef

AusQB said:
It actually sounds exactly the same. I think most people are jaded by the sounds of the guns in Halo 3 and Reach.
What do you mean? The CE sounds and the Anniversary sounds are pretty different. There is much more clarity and oomph (and other subtle things) in the Anni sounds.

Blue Ninja said:

This makes me sad. I thought they would do the whole ODST model again for C.E. Anniversary. Now i have to buy those two Reach map packs when they go on sale again. Too bad that the last sale was only last week and now i probably have to wait a good amount of time :(

Zabka

Sounds are fine but the glowy effects on the weapons in CE are way better than the Anni weapons, which look a little plain.

thezerofire said:
I wouldn't say the campaign is necessarily the biggest part. It varies from person to person, how much time they spent in either mode. Personally, I played campaign a couple times and then played the hell out of multiplayer, but I understand that people did the opposite of this too.

It's my favorite of the campaigns but I would honestly be fine if they just upped the resolution and skipped the new graphics. When I pick up the game I'll mainly play in the original style. If they added Live support I'd pick it up day one. As it is now, it's a SP game only and while it's one of my favorites of all time, I'll wait awhile since there will be new multiplayer games like CoD coming out that I'll want to be a part of on launch. Even though Halo 1 was the biggest game for me from '01 to '04, I'll be skipping the "anniversary" launch and pick it up around Christmas.

AusQB

derFeef said:
What do you mean? The CE sounds and the Anniversary sounds are pretty different. There is much more clarity and oomph (and other subtle things) in the Anni sounds.
My bad. I didn't watch the sound comparison videos.

wwm0nkey said:
the only part of CE that was touched was the graphics for this re-master.
I think Frankie mentioned there being other control schemes too, though. Specifically, I think he referenced "recon" as a control scheme.

Petrichor

Plasma Rifle looks and sounds fantastic, I always felt like the plasma weapons were made needlessly weedy sounding from Halo 2 onwards so this is a welcome return.

The needles on top of the needler actually still look better in Halo: CE than in any of the sequels. Why cant we go back to the see-through blue needles?

Moofers

Anyone know where I could get in touch with a community manager or somebody from 343? I'm putting together parts of a convention in the midwest next year and would like to talk to somebody about doing a Halo space. Thanks in advance.

Moofers said:
Anyone know where I could get in touch with a community manager or somebody from 343? I'm putting together parts of a convention in the midwest next year and would like to talk to somebody about doing a Halo space. Thanks in advance.
David Ellis, who is the Content Producer at 343i, posts here under the nick lybertyboy.
And of course OuterWorldVoice is Frank O'Conner, the Franchise Development Director. You should contact them.

Moofers

Hypertrooper said:
David Ellis, who is the Content Producer at 343i, posts here under the nick lybertyboy.
And of course OuterWorldVoice is Frank O'Conner, the Franchise Development Director. You should contact them.
Thank you. I suspect that this will be a bit below their paygrade or whatever, but I'll give it a shot.

daedalius

I hope they have Bumper Jumper as a available control scheme, I don't know if I could retrain myself to something else after using it since halo 3.

Petrichor said:
The needles on top of the needler actually still look better in Halo: CE than in any of the sequels. Why cant we go back to the see-through blue needles?

I'll take the opportunity to reiterate that the needler still needs contrails and light effects. Currently the projectiles look crap compared to CE. Otherwise the new sounds and effects are great.

As for blue needles, that never made sense (they're pink everywhere else in the game), and was something that couldn't be fixed in time, IIRC.

Kiarushka

Hypertrooper said:
Sorry, dude. Siege of Madrigal is a Myth track and so it won't be in Halo:CE:A, because of copyrights. Siege of Madrigal belongs to Bungie and not to the Halo franchise.

Would that mean that that's the one easter egg that won't be included? Or just not revamped? I thought they were leaving everything in that intact along with a few extras.

Photolysis said:
I'll take the opportunity to reiterate that the needler still needs contrails and light effects. Currently the projectiles look crap compared to CE. Otherwise the new sounds and effects are great.

As for blue needles, that never made sense (they're pink everywhere else in the game), and was something that couldn't be fixed in time, IIRC.

Those videos are from an old build and are really just there to give fans an idea of how the sound has changed. I can't guarantee that the projectiles have been updated since then, but that video is definitely NOT from a final build.

Kiarushka said:
Would that mean that that's the one easter egg that won't be included? Or just not revamped? I thought they were leaving everything in that intact along with a few extras.
343 has stated that they're trying to preserve as many eggs as they can, while maybe throwing in a few of their own. It isn't feasible to keep every single one though, because the context for certain eggs has changed in the last 10 years. One example that has been brought up is the "Megg" on the first level - it probably won't be in CEA because A) that designer isn't working on CEA and B) he might not be dating that girl anymore. (Kinda personal, but from what I've heard he isn't.) Maybe the triggers will still be there but the final payout (the bloody heart with a bullet-hole M) will be different.

I'm guessing the Siege of Madrigal will be replaced by some other hidden song. It could still be triggered at the same location, just swapped out for something that doesn't infringe on any copyrights.

Heck, what if the Siege of Madrigal was replaced with an unfinished song from Halo 4? That would be pretty cool.

FyreWulff

Wu said over on HBO that we'd hear more on Siege later.. so I don't think it's 100% for sure gone.

It would still technically make sense to have it since it IS still a game made by Bungie.

Top Bottom