• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:CE Anniversary Announced (MS Conf, Nov 15th 2011, $40)

GavinGT

Banned
thezerofire said:
posted in halogaf but I'll repeat it here: Is it just me or are parts of Damnation and Beaver Creek really dark?

What the hell happened to Damnation's blue base? I can't see a thing over there, and it looks like it'll be easier than ever to camp there and take people out who are either coming up the ramp or walking along the sniper platform.

GhaleonEB

-Yeti said:
Guilty Spark looks weird without the fog, but besides that fact, it looks really really good.
Yup, looks great. But I hope they add some fog back, it does much to add to the creepy mood of the level, especially at the end as the Flood emerges from the mist.

Ichabod

Banned
About that Beaver Creek vid:
I'm probably jumping the gun here (I really hope I'm not) but @:49-:50 it looks like the blue spartan got beatdown before his shield popped and @1:42-1:46 I'm noticing a distinct lack of bloom on the plasma rifle. *crosses fingers*

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GhaleonEB said:
Yup, looks great. But I hope they add some fog back, it does much to add to the creepy mood of the level, especially at the end as the Flood emerges from the mist.

You can actually add fog on the fly by pressing the Back button.

PIQyE.jpg

GhaleonEB

OuterWorldVoice said:
You can actually add fog on the fly by pressing the Back button.

PIQyE.jpg
But can I add the fog and keep the hawt new graffix? (Still looks gorgous. You guys done gud; just wish the fog was kept in the new iteration. Nits, I pick them.)

Also, on the title update front for those not following closely, this video from the update today features a bloom-less DMR and tweaked armor lock (note the effect the grenade has on the charge meter at about 4:30).

The HaloGAF thread is currently filling with tears of joy. Come wallow with us.

Vire

GhaleonEB said:
But can I add the fog and keep the hawt new graffix? (Still looks gorgous. You guys done gud; just wish the fog was kept in the new iteration. Nits, I pick them.)

Also, on the title update front for those not following closely, this video from the update today features a bloom-less DMR and tweaked armor lock (note the effect the grenade has on the charge meter at about 4:30).

Few questions Ghaleon:

Is there a list of what will be changed in the title update? Is it removing the bloom completely or only certain playlists? When is it coming?

Secondly, will I be able to purchase these maps separately without Halo:CE and play them through Reach?

Thanks a bunch.

Vire said:
Few questions Ghaleon:

Is there a list of what will be changed in the title update? Is it removing the bloom completely or only certain playlists? When is it coming?

Secondly, will I be able to purchase these maps separately without Halo:CE and play them through Reach?

Thanks a bunch.

This.

I don't care about bloom one way or the other, but it would be good to know if this is just for selected playlists and customs, or across the entire game.

Cause if it's game-wide, my god, the DMR is going to dominate maps in a way not even the BR did.

JB1981 said:
Buying this won't give you access to all Halo Reach DLC will it?
No, just the Anniversary map pack.

Vire said:
Few questions Ghaleon:

Thanks a bunch.
We don't know yet. Halofest is coming next week, we'll (probably) get more details.

What we do know is it won't be deleting bloom entirely, just in the classic playlist. It's not even sure if if it'll disappear on the on-disc maps, as that would apparently require a rather hefty TU. Or at least, that's what FyreWulff keeps telling us. :lol

As for purchasing the maps, I'm not sure. Maybe Ghaleon knows, but I sure don't. All I know is that you'll be able to download them to your HDD if you buy Halo: Anniversary, so you can play them through Reach as well.

soldat7 said:
No...teleporters? Extra rooms behind the bases? What's going on here?
There's two versions of the map. One has extra rooms (including teleporters), the other is more... 'classic'. At least, that's what I heard.

Here, there's even picture confirmation!

"Classic" (Beaver Creek)
image4.jpg

"New" (Battle Canyon)
image5.jpg

GhaleonEB

Vire said:
Few questions Ghaleon:

Thanks a bunch.
The video was a teaser. The list of most changes in the TU will be revealed at HaloFest on Friday of next week. Hints and teases are all we had to go on so far.

The title update will add an additional set of options to the game types for players to configure. The examples we can now see are alterations to bloom, and the removal of fall damage mentioned in a previous weekly update. These changes will be introduced in a set of playlists after it rolls out, alongside "vanilla" Reach.

We'll know more - a lot more - next Friday.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
GhaleonEB said:

wow @ the changes, would that be the new vanilla reach (no bloom, modified armor lock, more?)? also, wouldnt no bloom on the dmr greatly increase how powerful it is? not sure i like that...

GhaleonEB said:
The video was a teaser. The list of most changes in the TU will be revealed at HaloFest on Friday of next week. Hints and teases are all we had to go on so far.

The title update will add an additional set of options to the game types for players to configure. The examples we can now see are alterations to bloom, and the removal of fall damage mentioned in a previous weekly update. These changes will be introduced in a set of playlists after it rolls out, alongside "vanilla" Reach.

Nice time to invest some money in live again when that title update is out hopefully before Gears 3.

\Edit Wow bloomless DRM.

Vire

Thank you Blue Ninja and Ghaleon for the quick replies. Can't wait to hear what's coming.

First time I've been excited about Halo in a long time. I'm actively giddy right now...

OMG DAT GAMEPLAY BOUNCY GRENADES AND BLOOMLESS DMRS OHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

too bad the entire video was a goddam cocktease cause he wont grab a pistol or dmr haha

The level still looks creepy without the fog. Maybe a very thin layer could help, but I am just super impressed by how much better looking the level appears to be now that I can actually see two steps in front of me in the remake.

Arnie

GhaleonEB said:

Hold me Ghal.

I feel faint.

op_ivy said:
wow @ the changes, would that be the new vanilla reach (no bloom, modified armor lock, more?)? also, wouldnt no bloom on the dmr greatly increase how powerful it is? not sure i like that...

That's the worry.

God willing, they've actually been testing this for awhile and rebalancing the shit out of everything to make it work, instead of just throwing it in there as an idea to raise interest among a vocal minority of the Halo community.

We shall see.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Blue Ninja said:
There's two versions of the map. One has extra rooms (including teleporters), the other is more... 'classic'. At least, that's what I heard.
Right. There's going to be two versions of EVERY map released alongside CE:A. One version will be a faithful remake with the only difference being pretty HD graphics, and the other will be tweaked and tailored to better fit Reach's sandbox/weapons/mobility/etc.

Vire

What's been modified with armor lock?

omg.kittens said:
Right. There's going to be two versions of EVERY map released alongside CE:A. One version will be a faithful remake with the only difference being pretty HD graphics, and the other will be tweaked and tailored to better fit Reach's sandbox/weapons/mobility/etc.

That's pretty awesome.

op_ivy

The Antitype said:
That's the worry.

God willing, they've actually been testing this for awhile and rebalancing the shit out of everything to make it work, instead of just throwing it in there as an idea to raise interest among a vocal minority of the Halo community.

We shall see.

i *like* bloom, but would be absolutely fine with it being removed too... but a rapid fire, accurate as hell DMR will own everything else sans powerweapons and that is a BAAAAD thing IMO - though i'm sure many in the community would be fine with that.

we'll see.

the armor lock change is a GREAT step, though i'm not sure its enough :p

Havok

Vire said:
What's been modified with armor lock?
Damage drains the charge. You still get your burst of invincibility, but now people have a chance to knock you out of it with some effort.

Vire

Havok said:
Damage drains the charge. You still get your burst of invincibility, but now people have a chance to knock you out of it with some effort.
OH HAPPY DAYS!

Why couldn't Bungie do this? Thank God...

I feel like dancing around the room, seriously.

nomis

op_ivy said:

Yes, especially at long range. You see in that video, he ALWAYS lands the final headshot. None of the frustration of bloom + him running away means you miss if you rush it, but now it's overpowered. I like it, if it's just a playlist.

op_ivy said:
i *like* bloom, but would be absolutely fine with it being removed too... but a rapid fire, accurate as hell DMR will own everything else sans powerweapons and that is a BAAAAD thing IMO - though i'm sure many in the community would be fine with that.

we'll see.

the armor lock change is a GREAT step, though i'm not sure its enough :p

Likewise.

I have no issues with bloom, I actually felt like it helped make Reach the most balanced Halo ever.

If 343 want to remove bloom, fine, but they need to completely address everything from weapons to movement speed if they're going to make it work.

Remember, when Bungie created Reach, they said they wanted fire-fights to be longer, messier, more dramatic and drawn-out. So everything from bloom, to movement speed, to the placement of weapons on the map took that into account.

One small change can topple the dominos and get you a result you weren't intending, especially in the hands of an online community that puts hundreds of hours into tearing the game open.

I'm going to be in the minority here. But I think that whilst the makeover of 343 in the playthrough looks pretty and detailed, I think they completely destroyed the mood of the level. Everything is way too bright and lit up.

Looks more like we're infiltrating Pandora than an LV426-inspired level.

ZZMitch

I am so pumped for this game. The maps look amazing.

On a slightly unrelated note, I just bought a 250gb Xbox 360 Slim :p

I thought it was supposed to come with a free month of xbox live?

MooMoo

ZZMitch said:
I am so pumped for this game. The maps look amazing.

On a slightly unrelated note, I just bought a 250gb Xbox 360 Slim :p

I thought it was supposed to come with a free month of xbox live?
Unless things have changed since I got an xbox, the first three accounts you connect to xbox live get a free month of live. There's no physical card with a code or digital code that comes with the system. And congrats on the purchase! You have some catching up to do lol.

Oh and this game looks amazing! Can't wait, and I'm definitely glad I preordered this during the newegg promotion. Can't say I'm bothered by the darkness or glowiness that other people are bringing up.

ZZMitch

MooMoo said:
Unless things have changed since I got an xbox, the first three accounts you connect to xbox live get a free month of live. There's no physical card with a code or digital code that comes with the system. And congrats on the purchase! You have some catching up to do lol.

Oh and this game looks amazing! Can't wait, and I'm definitely glad I preordered this during the newegg promotion. Can't say I'm bothered by the darkness or glowiness that other people are bringing up.
Oh, I have owned an Xbox before. I sold it a bit over a year ago. But so many games are coming out that for the Xbox that are not on PC that I couldnt resist Jumping In again!

Satchel

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
bloomless dmr? you mean reach might actually be playable again? Oh snap

I confess I don't play Reach as much as most of you would, but I probably play it pretty often compared to the average gamer, and I gotta say, I don't get this bloom thing. Let alone affecting Reach negatively.

I mean I KNOW what bloom is, but why does it make things worse? Doesn't it make it better by definition, and if anything FURTHER the gap between the hardcore and the noobs?

As far as I'm concerned, Reach has the best multiplayer 'feel' out of every Halo game. Although 1 has the best maps.

So come November, I'm getting the best of both worlds. The feel of Reach with the fuck awesome maps of CE. Just hook Beaver Creek to my veins.

blamite

op_ivy said:
Frankie's been saying for a while that The current form of Reach gameplay will remain intact in most playlists, and the new changes from the update will be applied in specific playlists and adopted based on popularity.

So people who like Reach as is will still get to play the same game. But people who hate bloom, or want armor lock nerfed will have their own places to play. It's a win-win!

op_ivy

blamite said:
Frankie's been saying for a while that The current form of Reach gameplay will remain intact in most playlists, and the new changes from the update will be applied in specific playlists and adopted based on popularity.

So people who like Reach as is will still get to play the same game. But people who hate bloom, or want armor lock nerfed will have their own places to play. It's a win-win!

not sure i like the sound of that either :/

i like playing in different playlists for variety. i dont like adjusting to rules of each, which is why i stear clear of MLG or other playlists with tweaked settings. i have faith it will all work out in the end, but i dont envy their job of trying to appease everyone.

op_ivy

Lead Based Paint said:
oh you. you're just so..... wrong. I guess you don't understand the gameplay effects and the ramifications behind bloom

does it red ring your xbox? or just make it so you have to time your shots otherwise introduce a bit of luck in hitting at what you are aiming at? cause one makes the game utterly and undeniably unplayable, the other introduces another fold into the gameplay that you may or may not be a fan of.

OrangeOak

op_ivy said:
does it red ring your xbox? or just make it so you have to time your shots otherwise introduce a bit of luck in hitting at what you are aiming at? cause one makes the game utterly and undeniably unplayable, the other introduces another fold into the gameplay that you may or may not be a fan of.

You don't need to time your shots you can spam and get a headshot while shooting at someone's knee ;)

op_ivy

OrangeOak said:
You don't need to time your shots you can spam and get a headshot while shooting at someone's knee ;)

i guess that would be the luck part in what i said?

Top Bottom