• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Has Not Met Financial Expectations - Brad Sams

Orbital2060

The talking head parts were an awful way to tell the story. Truly amateur cringe levels of game design.

Handing out XP in chunks of 50 and 100 xp without any consideration of your actual performance. As if PUBG and Fortnite never happened.

Heads stuck in the past while trying way too hard to be down with the kids.

The guns feel great, movement feels great with the grapple hook.

It has nothing to do with game pass, its just a developer that dont know how to make a great Halo game, or any other game from what they did with Infinite.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
That could actually be pretty amazing for Halo, especially if it was teams of 50 v 50. Half the players are the UNSC and the other half is the Covenant. As well as standard death match BR, you could also have some assault games where one team needs to breach and take over a defending teams fortifications.

Somebody make this happen.

Lognor

Banned
It was a product of its time. Online multiplayer on console was fresh. Xbox live was fresh. Xbox and Halo owned the multiplayer audience. That quickly changed though when cod 4 came on the scene. It literally stole the audience. Coupled with bungie leaving, halo has been on decline since. Sorry if it hurts your feelings mate, but ain't my problem. Im just telling it how it is.
Yeah, a product of its time. That's why a tv show was greenlit, right? No one cares about Halo anymore. That's why MCC and Halo Infinite still rank among the most played games on Xbox? Seriously, wtf are you talking about? I thought you were joking, but I guess not. LOL

Are you of the mindset that if you're not first you're last? Yeah, COD is the most popular fps in the world. No shit. But to say because Halo is not as popular they should discontinue the series is plain laughable. You can probably count on one hand how many fps games are more popular than Halo. It's a very short list. So yeah, I can't even with you.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
This is why its stupid to support this model for the future of the industry when clearly it hasn’t proved it can work. Whereas the old model of selling games has been going on for 3+ decades and companies like Nintendo and Playstation are selling more games then ever. 10+20+30+million sales for certain games
I don't think this is the future of the industry but to say that Gamepass isn't working when it clearly has a massive amount of overwhelming success is kind of stupid, and it's becoming harder and harder to justify spending money on games when prices keep rising and budgets keep inflating. It's simply because Playstation has the more popular and compelling exclusive library, and if MS invested all of their infinite cash and budget into fixing up management and getting good AAA games out on time for the service you wouldn't be doubting the gamepass model this much

Last edited:
Yeah, a product of its time. That's why a tv show was greenlit, right? No one cares about Halo anymore. That's why MCC and Halo Infinite still rank among the most played games on Xbox? Seriously, wtf are you talking about? I thought you were joking, but I guess not. LOL

Are you of the mindset that if you're not first you're last? Yeah, COD is the most popular fps in the world. No shit. But to say because Halo is not as popular they should discontinue the series is plain laughable. You can probably count on one hand how many fps games are more popular than Halo. It's a very short list. So yeah, I can't even with you.

Lol, why you so emotional? Thats why you always banned. Learn to relax and have actual discussion. Your like an over emotional teenage girl. You acting like i personally attacked you or something! Halo ain't what it was! How the fuck can you blind yourself and deny that?

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
No shit the game was fucking TRASH

bad movies endless trash GIF

Nuke it from orbit
Get rid of 343
Kill Halo

Last good Halo was reach

Last edited:
Brad Sams doesn't get it, and may never get it. Halo Infinite helped boost Game Pass subscriptions. That's all it ever needed to do. Halo Infinite along with Forza Horizon 5 were the big headliners as part of the push to achieving an additional 7 million subs, bringing Game Pass to just over 25 million worldwide as of January. That extra 7 million alone, at minimum, accounts for an additional $839 million in revenue per year for Game Pass, and that's assuming none of them are Ultimate subscribers (not likely).

Here's some more reality. Attempts to blame Game Pass are a waste of time and energy because it won't stop Microsoft from continuing to release all first party games onto Game Pass day one. Very easy to understand why, so won't bother explaining.

They're also not going to stop supporting Halo Infinite anytime soon. Why would they? It's the most played first party game on their entire platform behind only Forza Horizon 5 and Minecraft. Forza Horizon 5 is top 12, Minecraft is top 14. Halo Infinite is top 16. On Game Pass it's consistently top 2 or top 3. Has never left the top 5. This for a game people say is unfinished and has no content.

Support for the Halo franchise going forward isn't going anywhere either, as is crystal clear by the additional studios that have been enlisted to work on the game and this major partnership with Certain Affinity.

Halo Infinite had the largest launch in the franchise's history at 20 million unique players. Sure, it may have nowhere near that now, that's fine. But it tells you the enormous draw and interest that Halo as a franchise still possesses even under 343i. Halo Infinite generated that 20 million based on its own merits.

Gaming has changed from how it was many years ago. Games don't just only live and die by how they launch (which was already fantastic for Infinite), they change, they evolve. Cyberpunk is the perfect example of this, and it's far from the only example. Cyberpunk was incredible from the start for me, even with the flaws that existed, but it has taken 21 months for the game to get to where it is right now. Almost 2 years. People think Destiny 2 was suddenly made free to play because everything was going exactly how they wanted? They switched to free to play and changed up their strategy and plans, and it shot back up to being one of the most played games. Even with all the content the game had received up to that point, things weren't all perfect. So Halo Infinite, just like those games did, will become dramatically better with time.

As I always say, the foundation is stronger than most games out there.

Leyasu

Banned
Brad Sams doesn't get it, and may never get it. Halo Infinite helped boost Game Pass subscriptions. That's all it ever needed to do. Halo Infinite along with Forza Horizon 5 were the big headliners as part of the push to achieving an additional 7 million subs, bringing Game Pass to just over 25 million worldwide as of January. That extra 7 million alone, at minimum, accounts for an additional $839 million in revenue per year for Game Pass, and that's assuming none of them are Ultimate subscribers (not likely).

Here's some more reality. Attempts to blame Game Pass are a waste of time and energy because it won't stop Microsoft from continuing to release all first party games onto Game Pass day one. Very easy to understand why, so won't bother explaining.

They're also not going to stop supporting Halo Infinite anytime soon. Why would they? It's the most played first party game on their entire platform behind only Forza Horizon 5 and Minecraft. Forza Horizon 5 is top 12, Minecraft is top 14. Halo Infinite is top 16. On Game Pass it's consistently top 2 or top 3. Has never left the top 5. This for a game people say is unfinished and has no content.

Support for the Halo franchise going forward isn't going anywhere either, as is crystal clear by the additional studios that have been enlisted to work on the game and this major partnership with Certain Affinity.

Halo Infinite had the largest launch in the franchise's history at 20 million unique players. Sure, it may have nowhere near that now, that's fine. But it tells you the enormous draw and interest that Halo as a franchise still possesses even under 343i. Halo Infinite generated that 20 million based on its own merits.

Gaming has changed from how it was many years ago. Games don't just only live and die by how they launch (which was already fantastic for Infinite), they change, they evolve. Cyberpunk is the perfect example of this, and it's far from the only example. Cyberpunk was incredible from the start for me, even with the flaws that existed, but it has taken 21 months for the game to get to where it is right now. Almost 2 years. People think Destiny 2 was suddenly made free to play because everything was going exactly how they wanted? They switched to free to play and changed up their strategy and plans, and it shot back up to being one of the most played games. Even with all the content the game had received up to that point, things weren't all perfect. So Halo Infinite, just like those games did, will become dramatically better with time.

Without numbers to back up your claim about boosting subscriber numbers, your post is as worthless as any of the Sony fanboys who talk nonsense about gamepass.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

did-not.gif

FireFly

I'm stunned by the debate about dev costs.

We're literally in a thread about the marquee ip of XBOX not being able to financially recoup it's costs. All while being in a service which had a narrative of being financially viable for any game released on it. Business wise, that's cataclysmic on two fronts.

The PR around GP being viable is at the very least completely flawed. There's a ton of question we as a community now have especially when we consider that the PR Phil Spencer himself and every other exec has pushed is that GP is "the future" of gaming. The implications here are vast.

Arguing about initial devs costs is like arguing about the color of a damaged car that's been written off. Also dev costs don't account for the amount spent on marketing which is often equal to dev costs. XBOX had massive add, tv, and product buys for the first delayed release date. Add to that the other snack/food promotions that were rumoured to coincide with the game before the first delay. Halo is/was a behemoth and like any big ip had an expensive marketing machine behind it.

[/URL]
Being in Game Pass doesn't automatically make a game a success. That would be a ridiculously high bar to meet, since all traditional publishing models are based on a few "hits" subsidising the rest of the portfolio. Game Pass can potentially expand the reach of a game and open up incremental revenue through DLC + microtransactions. It doesn't mean you can spend as much as you like to make a game, release no new content for it and expect everything to go perfectly.

Literally the entire point is to bring more eyes to a game. If people try a game and decide it isn't for them, there is no model that can "force" them to keep playing and paying for new items. Perhaps you were thinking of mind control?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It was a product of its time. Online multiplayer on console was fresh. Xbox live was fresh. Xbox and Halo owned the multiplayer audience. That quickly changed though when cod 4 came on the scene. It literally stole the audience. Coupled with bungie leaving, halo has been on decline since. Sorry if it hurts your feelings mate, but ain't my problem. Im just telling it how it is.
what??? no!!! Halo only died because it killed itself. Even back in the days of MW2, halo was more popular. If Bungie stayed (or 343 was actually competent at their fucking job) Halo wouldn't be in the position they were in now.
Look at doom, it managed to get a beautiful revival and immediately reemerged itself as one of the biggest FPS franchises and all they needed was a good developer who understood what made the originals so fun, and now it's only a matter of time before Quake ends up becoming popular again thanks to that same developer.
It's all because of nothing but pure mismanagement. Xbox has some of the most talented developers in gaming history, and yet all that talent is squandered because they don't know how to harness that potential properly.

I wasn't even born when the original halos came out but even replaying them on MCC years later helped me realize their amazing gameplay, even more amazing stories and the infinite fun that can be had with Forge and multiplayer. It's a formula that CAN work. It's just that the developers (or more accurately the people who lead those developers) don't have a damn clue how to truly work it

Last edited:

DragonNCM

Halo: Infinite had a great potential........WASTED & honestly I don't think that they had 500 million to spend on that game.
That is some PR bullshit to rise the hype.

Pelta88

Yeah, a product of its time. That's why a tv show was greenlit, right? No one cares about Halo anymore. That's why MCC and Halo Infinite still rank among the most played games on Xbox?

Think about the info we're discussing, and then re-read your post. An objective person would understand how problematic your post is. And the implications that has for the state of the XBOX platform

Being in Game Pass doesn't automatically make a game a success. That would be a ridiculously high bar to meet, since all traditional publishing models are based on a few "hits" subsidising the rest of the portfolio. Game Pass can potentially expand the reach of a game and open up incremental revenue through DLC + microtransactions. It doesn't mean you can spend as much as you like to make a game, release no new content for it and expect everything to go perfectly.

Literally the entire point is to bring more eyes to a game. If people try a game and decide it isn't for them, there is no model that can "force" them to keep playing and paying for new items. Perhaps you were thinking of mind control?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Up until the bolded, I was prepared to have a discussion with you...

Last edited:
Nah you're just making things up at this point. Mods didn't ban you because you said you didn't like something. It's the way that you said it that got you banned. There's always other forums if you don't enjoy this place.

So now you're trying to tell me what happened to me and why. I have plenty of innocent, respectful posts that have led to bans for one reason or another. I was once banned as an astroturfer for speaking too positively about something other people in the thread didn't like seeing me do.

And now you're trying to gatekeep and tell me where to go simply because I'm in disagreement with you. This is pretty much the usual pattern of how all my bans go. It starts with users like you who can't take people who disagree with you. I would bet money you probably already alerted a mod to my supposed "disobedience." When something happens enough times you start to recognize the patterns and the ones who engage you right before your ban. You are one of 4 users in particular I've become very aware of. The very instant you start disagreeing with me or engaging with my posts, a ban follows shortly after.

So with all due respect, there's always other forums if you don't enjoy seeing me post on this place.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
No idea. I’m not MS nor do I have their internal numbers.

Margin wise, selling the game makes more than putting it on GP. Perhaps MS banked on more sales than GP usage? Maybe they banked on more cosmetic sales? Who knows. All we can do is speculate.

The MP was made F2P for a reason. Micro-transaction revenue was clearly the driver, and I’m sure their projections for concurrent playerbase on Steam (for example) was probably WAY more than the < 10k players on average.

You’re certainly going to be getting significantly lower revenue when your active userbase is much lower than projections.

FireFly

Up until the bolded, I was prepared to have a discussion with you...
I did wonder if it was a bit much, but my points still stand. Especially since the live service part of the game is in F2P, not Game Pass, and Microsoft haven't released any sales figures for the single player portion.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
i really saw no reason to spend money on the game. couldnt care less about the dumb cosmetics in their battle pass.

FH5 seems like the perfect formula for getting people to spend money on a gamepass game. anecdotally saw most of the people on my friends list driving around with the crown that says they got the ultimate edition.

Kokoloko85

No need to spread lies. The CEO of Microsoft gaming has confirmed that they're not burning money and that Gamepass is indeed very sustainable. If you're talking about Xbox, we know that they were profitable in 2019, which was at the same time one of their worst years ever. They've only massively grown since then.
Lol

Learn to read. I said him being overly emotional about his favourite brand is what gets him banned all the time. Not that he disagreed with me. He gets triggered way too easily!

Some users opinions of what constitutes "overly emotional" is not consistent with the view of all users. Different people react differently based on what the subject matter is.

FireFly

I don't know why people don't get this. Everyone is happy they are saving so much money but it's costing something.
Just too early to tell what that is. In the end all of these companies want to make money.........not give you more for less.
The industry as a whole is moving towards a microtransaction based financing model. F2P is one extreme of this, where you pay nothing for the initial product, to maximise the potential microtransaction revenue. Traditional "boxed" games are the other extreme. Game Pass is in the middle, because it still allows for users to purchase titles, while expanding the audience for additional content. It also gives a bump for catalogue content.

Romulus

I can see why. I can't get through the campaign without being completely uninterested. I played online for maybe a week and stopped. I'm having way more fun with that Halo VR mod on Contractors than I had with this AAA release.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
releasing a half finished game at no extra cost on a service half the subscribers are still on some cheap trade-in or special offer subscription is not the best way for big financial success?
Gee, color me surprised......

Pelta88

Halo Infinite helped boost Game Pass subscriptions. That's all it ever needed to do. Halo Infinite along with Forza Horizon 5 were the big headliners as part of the push to achieving an additional 7 million subs, bringing Game Pass to just over 25 million worldwide as of January. That extra 7 million alone, at minimum, accounts for an additional $839 million in revenue per year for Game Pass, and that's assuming none of them are Ultimate subscribers (not likely).

200.gif

• LOL
Reactions: Fuz

FireFly

Players... NOT payers.
The slides state that Game Pass users spend 45% more on Game add-ons. So you must think that this difference comes from them exclusively spending more money in games that they would otherwise have played had Game Pass not existed. In other words they are happy to pay for new content, but not if the game was discovered through Game Pass!

The public doesn't care about "gunplay feel". I've never heard anyone playing Overwatch, Fortnite, Destiny, Call of Duty, Apex Legends etc talk about gunplay feel.

I'm always amazed when this is brought up because it's such a non issue IRL.

Halo was bad off the jump because it was repetitive and did nothing different from the last 7 Halo games. That's why people bounced so quickly.
Halo won multiple game of the years including here. Acting like it’s a terrible game is rediculous. Terrible service sure but bad game to play? Stop it fam.

And people don’t talk about how gun play feel, in a fps? Stop it again.

Last edited:

2021 started with 18 million Game Pass subscribers. The two biggest games of 2021 for Xbox were Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5. This year started with more than 25 million.

Which Xbox titles you think had the biggest impact on that growth coming off the pandemic in 2020?

Combine math with common sense and what do you arrive at?

And on the game pass revenue math for an additional 7 million subscribers, that's very easy.

$9.99 * 7 million * 12 = $839 million in New game pass revenue. And I'm not even counting Game Pass Ultimate.

Now use this cheat sheet I've so kindly provided to figure out 25 million subscribers to game pass yearly.

Penguin Bap GIF

Lognor

Banned
Lol, why you so emotional? Thats why you always banned. Learn to relax and have actual discussion. Your like an over emotional teenage girl. You acting like i personally attacked you or something! Halo ain't what it was! How the fuck can you blind yourself and deny that?
You don't like being called out on your bs. So you deflect. Got it.

You said "it's time to put Halo to sleep" which was the laughable part. It's one of the biggest IPs in gaming still and you think they should just bury it for the foreseeable future? It really makes no sense. Think about what you said.

Halo won multiple game of the years including here. Acting like it’s a terrible game is rediculous. Terrible service sure but bad game to play? Stop it fam.

And people don’t talk about how gun play feel, in a fps? Stop it again.

Primary point I been making. A shit game was not what 343i released. We are all supposed to play dumb and pretend the game is shit even when the majority of reviews say it's incredible and reinvigorated people's excitement for Halo. The praise it got for how good it is has not suddenly disappeared from the internet.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

Unbelievable.

So you're implying that because they disagree with you they could be banned for it? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

bullshit bs GIF

I've been banned for that! More than once lol.

So now you're trying to tell me what happened to me and why. I have plenty of innocent, respectful posts that have led to bans for one reason or another. I was once banned as an astroturfer for speaking too positively about something other people in the thread didn't like seeing me do.

And now you're trying to gatekeep and tell me where to go simply because I'm in disagreement with you. This is pretty much the usual pattern of how all my bans go. It starts with users like you who can't take people who disagree with you. I would bet money you probably already alerted a mod to my supposed "disobedience." When something happens enough times you start to recognize the patterns and the ones who engage you right before your ban. You are one of 4 users in particular I've become very aware of. The very instant you start disagreeing with me or engaging with my posts, a ban follows shortly after.

So with all due respect, there's always other forums if you don't enjoy seeing me post on this place.

Some users opinions of what constitutes "overly emotional" is not consistent with the view of all users. Different people react differently based on what the subject matter is.

Rap Game No GIF by Lifetime

Literally contradicted by the facts. So we just making up stuff now, are we? This is 2022 GDC data.

kmPYQoe.jpg
CQ2Bgzj.jpg
z26eotG.jpg
j1VVl3O.jpg

Thanks for proving my point. Even when data is in your face, you still ignore it.

Let me interpret for you.

Game Pass subscribers spend 60% more on games.

45% more on Game Add-Ons.

45% more on consumables.

Lmb4Akv.jpg

2021 started with 18 million Game Pass subscribers. The two biggest games of 2021 for Xbox were Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5. This year started with more than 25 million.

Which Xbox titles you think had the biggest impact on that growth coming off the pandemic in 2020?

Combine math with common sense and what do you arrive at?

And on the game pass revenue math for an additional 7 million subscribers, that's very easy.

$9.99 * 7 million * 12 = $839 million in New game pass revenue. And I'm not even counting Game Pass Ultimate.

Now use this cheat sheet I've so kindly provided to figure out 25 million subscribers to game pass yearly.

Penguin Bap GIF

Primary point I been making. A shit game was not what 343i released. We are all supposed to play dumb and pretend the game is shit even when the majority of reviews say it's incredible and reinvigorated people's excitement for Halo. The praise it got for how good it is has not suddenly disappeared from the internet.
Straight up the most deluded person I’ve ever seen on GAF.

All of that on one page. And you’re tying to convince us that it’s the mod team who are irrational, not you?

Gambit2483

"Sustainable" for Microsoft, not the rest of the industry which is why you don't see many others doing day and date AAA releases into services
As I said earlier, I don't even think Gamepass is truly sustainable for MS unless the majority of their games are made at conception with a monetization system that's part of the games foundation.

Either game budgets will decrease or Gamepass subscription prices will increase (or a combination of both)

Last edited:
You don't like being called out on your bs. So you deflect. Got it.

You said "it's time to put Halo to sleep" which was the laughable part. It's one of the biggest IPs in gaming still and you think they should just bury it for the foreseeable future? It really makes no sense. Think about what you said.

Halo WAS one of the biggest IPs in gaming. That's the point. It isn't anywhere near that anymore though. How is that a good thing? Are you telling me you think 343i did a good job with Halo since they were handed it? If you think they did, than this discussion is over! Cause there's no way we'll ever agree on that.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Halo WAS one of the biggest IPs in gaming. That's the point. It isn't anywhere near that anymore though.

This. It basically needs a full reboot at this point because that's the only way the brand can be properly re-established.

The bottom line is that there's been a new game, a 20th Anniversary milestone, and an expensive TV show and its still not performed to expectations. Likely in large part to the scuffed launch and subsequent year-long delay, and that the service content hasn't made the brand catch-fire.

Lognor

Banned
Halo WAS one of the biggest IPs in gaming. That's the point. It isn't anywhere near that anymore though. How is that a good thing? Are you telling me you think 343i did a good job with Halo since they were handed it? If you think they did, than this discussion is over! Cause there's no way we'll ever agree on that.
I did not claim that Halo is anywhere near where it once was, or that its current position was a good thing. What are you talking about? I called you out on your comment that "it's time to put Halo to sleep." It sounds like you're walking that back now, which is a good thing.

Halo Infinite started off fantastic. It won GOTY here apparently! It was the lack of new content that really hurt it. The core gameplay is still fantastic. And 343 could still turn it around, but Microsoft has to commit the resources to it if they want to turn it around. That likely requires 343 to hire a lot more people. I'm sure the staff supporting Fortnite is huge and that is what Microsoft and 343 need to do if they want to turn things around. Constant updates to keep people engaged. While Halo Infinite is a lot of fun, I haven't played it since I maxed out season 2. I will pick it up again at season 3, but there is no reason there should be close to a year gap between seasons.

I do agree that 343 has mismanaged the franchise and that is why we are (finally) seeing Microsoft make some changes internally. Hopefully they get things sorted and Halo Infinite gets back to its glory days in 2023!

Reallink

By this logic, RDR2 cost a billion dollars to make. Complete nonsense.

Absolutely, raw development cost on RDR2 was a minimum of $300-500 million. How exactly are you suggesting they employ many hundreds of specialized professionals in extremely expensive metros for 6 -10 years of development?

Last edited:
Top Bottom