• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite | Campaign Gameplay Premiere – 8 Minute Demo

dilbag

They are one of the worst devs of all time considering the budget they are handed and the golden goose of Halo with a huge loyal fanbase and established gameplay mechanics and lore. They still can't even make an average video game with the Halo name on it, completely embarrassing and the studio should have been dismantled after Halo 5.

It's funny you say 3 strikes, when in reality 343i has made like 10 Halo games:

Halo Infinite
Halo 5
Halo MCC
Halo 4
Halo Spartan Assault
Halo Wars 2
Halo Anniversary Edition (1st game they made)
Halo Spartan Strike
Halo Fire team Raven

They are a complete failure of a developer.

Halo 4 was good I think.
Halo infinite is not out yet

halo anniversary was good for a remaster

everything else on that List is trash

MCC is decent now after years of patches but at release it was purely broken and halo 5 is absolute garbage.

Riven326

Banned
343 is the worst thing to happen to Halo. I can't even be disappointed anymore lmao. That demo was meh at best. Looks like they are still keeping that AWFUL dialogue.

tenor.gif
That dialogue at the end. Lol

"I better than you!"

Good Lord. It's like a power rangers episode. Looks like one, too.

Last edited:

doboy

Neo Member
I just hope the open world aspect is done better then Gears 5 was.... I knew it was most likely coming but I must admit atm I am disappointed its another open world game.....
I died inside a little when I saw the upgrades and database (codex/journal?) tabs on the map screen, too. Not ideal, but we'll see.

I'm shocked. This is the first game in a very long time that I would actually say has bad graphics. Its rare these days. And my god, Halo 4 looks better. How the fuck does that happen?

Halo-4-Campaign.jpg

This game is running on hardware from 2005, and it looks better. What the hell?

This one is down to art direction. Infinite is obviously using much more of the GPU on rendering. Infinite just has a lot of bland, simple textures. The screenshot you posted shows more detailed, inspired texture work so it appears to be better looking.

the_master

I have to say though, that Infinite still looks better than Halo 4 and 5. An I mean it in terms of the game. I am way more excited to play Infinite than I was to play Halo 5, and I doubt it will disappoint me as much as Halo 4, so at least I think they made some right choices in the game direction. Even though their engine didn´t work out very well, even if the level design didn´t turn out good, still feels better than the last 2 games

Flintty

I have to say though, that Infinite still looks better than Halo 4 and 5. An I mean it in terms of the game. I am way more excited to play Infinite than I was to play Halo 5, and I doubt it will disappoint me as much as Halo 4, so at least I think they made some right choices in the game direction. Even though their engine didn´t work out very well, even if the level design didn´t turn out good, still feels better than the last 2 games

Yeah it feels like they lost their way on 4 and 5 (though 5 multiplayer was superb).

I really hope the apparent open world brings something fresh to the series. If they nail that I’ll be happy. I hope RT helps out with the look though.

dilbag

I died inside a little when I saw the upgrades and database (codex/journal?) tabs on the map screen, too. Not ideal, but we'll see.

Me too, I have no idea why the added open world to gears and Halo.....

and if halo has RPG elements too imma puke (not really but it will turn me off even more)

But while it’s easy to get carried away about the prospect of playing Halo Infinite, it’s worth taking a minute to think about the enormous work put into this playable preview of Halo Infinite. While this is just a section of the final game, it took a herculean effort to make sure this little corner of our Ringworld was polished and pretty enough for its premiere! The art, lighting, design, environment, graphics, production and engineering teams involved in carving out and curating this little slice, are nervous and excited to show people a glimpse of what we’re building.

JimiNutz

Banned

He's definitely trolling us.

It's like when you fuck a fat ugly slag and your mates see you hooking up with her.

Next day you say "oh she was actually really fucking hot and an incredible lay, best girl I've ever fucked. You should come meet her later, I can't wait for you to meet her"

Then when she turns up she's actually just a fat ugly slag.

You all have a good laugh but they're laughing at you and you're laughing at yourself because you're dead inside and Halo Infinite looks like shit.

aries_71

Unreal... what were they thinking showing that and then showing that garbage after. How could they mishandle it this badly

Bad management, that simple. Probably the engineering team and artists are solid, but management was a total failure. Five years to have that demo on a very powerful machine goes beyond any explanation.

I believe MS should downsize 343 Industries immediately and redirect the resource to other more competent teams. The actual management should think about a carreer change. The damage this demo has done to the Xbox brand is huge.

aries_71

While this is just a section of the final game, it took a herculean effort to make sure this little corner of our Ringworld was polished and pretty enough for its premiere! The art, lighting, design, environment, graphics, production and engineering teams involved in carving out and curating this little slice, are nervous and excited to show people a glimpse of what we’re building.

Nervous and excited? I don’t think the are stupid. They had to know they were showing something that looks subpar to current gen titles.

This thing needs at least one more year in the oven, with a reduced team and new management. Problem is that MS is probably tired of burning money in this sinkhole and will get this shit out of the door as soon as possible to recover some of the losses.

I would never have imagined that after this shitshow the Xbox brand would be the laughing stock of the whole industry. Boy, I am disappointed.

h4.jpg

Look, there's even the physics fail in that footage with the enemy bent over backwards.

What makes all this look even worse is PS4 has just been spoiled with FF7Remake, TLOU2 and Ghosts of Tsushima, technical and artistic impeccable for the most part, so the bar is high and 343 can't even match that.

skneogaf

I'd love to find out why this looks so bad, it doesn't make sense that it looks terrible in so many ways.

Surely it can look better than this?

I expected the graphics to be like some if the cut scenes of the grunts in whichever game has them in after it was updated.

This could really do a lot of damage to xbox at the beginning of its life cycle.

Riven326

Banned
h4.jpg

Look, there's even the physics fail in that footage with the enemy bent over backwards.

What makes all this look even worse is PS4 has just been spoiled with FF7Remake, TLOU2 and Ghosts of Tsushima, technical and artistic impeccable for the most part, so the bar is high and 343 can't even match that.
The only thing infinite about this game is the amount of time it's been in development.

YukiOnna

I'm not buying it because the game is 4 months away. Why would they show a much older build for a games that is almost complete. It doesn't add up.
Not that I'm defending the presentation decision, but iirc the reason why developers don't like doing show demos is because it uses up time to build what is an entirely separate slice, hence why it's generally a much older build. Generally speaking.

Nervous and excited? I don’t think the are stupid. They had to know they were showing something that looks subpar to current gen titles.

This thing needs at least one more year in the oven, with a reduced team and new management. Problem is that MS is probably tired of burning money in this sinkhole and will get this shit out of the door as soon as possible to recover some of the losses.

I would never have imagined that after this shitshow the Xbox brand would be the laughing stock of the whole industry. Boy, I am disappointed.

I don’t think another year in the oven would make a big difference. There’s some foundational issues holding the game back. Yes maybe improved lighting and textures could improve things, but there’s next gen improvements I was hoping for that I’m not seeing. Such as brute facial animations during combat, improved AI, more interesting physics engine etc

GloriousEuropa

Neo Member
Why is it a company who are the kings of software, consistently cannot trounce the competition in visuals? In fact, the only time they did it was with their first outing in the console industry. But that was 18 years ago!

Sony

Nintendo
I've has a day to take it in. As a big fan, I hate to say I'm very disappointed. Yes, graphics aren't everything. But this reveal was disappointing in more ways.
Graphics: This a new Halo game launching on the most powerful console. I wanted to show the gameplay to friends, to make them see why I'm excited. That was part of the excitement for me. People saying Halo has never been about graphics are dead wrong. The graphics look bad. Like, there was nothing in the gameplay that stood out. The textures, okay-ish. The animations, average. The lighting, flat.

Gameplay: Even if you forget the graphics. Couldn't they have found a more exciting gameplay part? Yes, they showed new weapons and mechanics, but it was so... Meh.

Story: I don't get it. How you end Halo 5 with activating world destroying Guardians and having a rampant AI and then open Halo Infinite with Brutes/the Banished as the baddies? How can you take the Banished seriously after ending the Human/ Covenant war and fighting AI lead Prometheans. The Banished are basically the Heretics from Halo 2.

I wanted so much to be excited for this. I started the show all happy and was left disappointed afterward. You cannot drop the ball like this. I'm sorry for all the people involved with this to read this, but man, I've been a fan since the beginning but this was so disappointing.

the_master

I've been playing more Halo 4 today. And the level Infinity was really good actually. The previous one was unbearable, but infinity was incredible all around.
Beautiful forest with the new enemies that where way less anoying than in other environments. New promethean vision, then turrets and marines that where actually helpfull pushing forward. A scorpion tank area with some marines driving a warthog really wel. Like a real improvement in driving ai since halo 2 & 3. Then the new Mantis. Till an epic battle on the infinity with the massive turrets.

That level earned my respect.

I'd love to find out why this looks so bad, it doesn't make sense that it looks terrible in so many ways.

I'd bet anything it's the Mass Effect Andromeda/Anthem situation: management who had no idea what they were doing, development reboots, the works.

And like those games, I'm expecting an expose or two shortly after this game releases.

ZehDon

Good Lord. 343i really, honestly believe they delivered a next-gen, jaw-dropping gameplay demo. They really don't understand. The sheer disconnect on display is entering the realm of things I have never seen before.

longdi

Banned
The 4K/60 looks much much better.
Imo 343i has always headed towards a water-painted aesthetics.
So you wont be seeing those photoreal textures and all.

Do not forget the base game must run on Xbox One. It is very impressive how much they managed to push that. 🤷‍♀️

-Arcadia-

Banned
Good Lord. 343i really, honestly believe they delivered a next-gen, jaw-dropping gameplay demo. They really don't understand. The sheer disconnect on display is entering the realm of things I have never seen before.

Every time they did the Slow E3 Pan(tm) in the demo, I just kind of cringed. Not even the fun, jokey cringe. The kind of cringe where your entire body becomes an empathetic livewire, and wants to knock the controller out of their hands before they embarrass themselves any further.

ZehDon

Every time they did the Slow E3 Pan(tm) in the demo, I just kind of cringed...
Oh, absolutely. It is utterly, utterly baffling. The first one, right out of the ship at the start of the demo, I was felt like maybe I was missing something - some amazing 4K detail that I'd pick it up on a re-watch of the 4K upload. But, the slow pan at the top of the elevator - as if to allow us to soak in the awe-inspiring distant visuals - was just really sad. By that point, I wanted them to just... stop. Every single open world game has dramatically better distant detail.

Here's the technological peak at the moment: a third party, current-gen, open world game, running on Xbox One X. 30FPS, sure, but I don't doubt with 10 times the processing power at their disposal, Rockstar could optimise the game to exist exactly as it looks in this image running at 60FPS on Xbox One Series X.

F69799AF-793A-497C-B982-84FFDCF93953.jpeg

Here is Microsoft's own marketing shot from Halo Infinite, that they think show of their new engine, their new game, their new console, and their new strategy for the Xbox platform
halo-infinite-open-world-master-chief.jpeg

And still, 343i honestly think they'd done something worth applauding. Baffling.

THEAP99

Banned
Lmao can't wait to see how the rest of the "pretty and polished" game ends up. Def gonna land in the lower 80s for metacritic

Also, doesn't that blog post put to rest people trying to spin and damage control that it's a very older build?

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Lmao can't wait to see how the rest of the "pretty and polished" game ends up. Def gonna land in the lower 80s for metacritic

Also, doesn't that blog post put to rest people trying to spin and damage control that it's a very older build?

Throwing out the meta like it matters. Oh no, the lower 80s down there with GoT my GoTG, the horror.

THEAP99

Banned
Throwing out the meta like it matters. Oh no, the lower 80s down there with GoT my GoTG, the horror.
I mean people have been saying (prior to this showing) that Halo Infinite was gonna a God of War (2018) moment and bring back the glory days!

Top Bottom