• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite | Campaign Gameplay Premiere – 8 Minute Demo

aries_71

The way they did the slow pan around the shitty looking environments was cringe.

So majestic!

109748628_292073115221063_8585737023375935245_n.png

That literally reminds me of Halo 3 forge editor. Even the textures and lighting, ugh. I mean, wtf.

Problem here is that people is saying it doesn’t look like a new gen title, while the fact is that it barely looks like a current one. Aside from the resolution, that screenshot could be from a 360 game. It certainly wouldn’t wow anybody on the Xbox One.

What a disappointment. They really must wasted time, money and resources with very bad management.

Justin9mm

Lol, nice response. You want people to not defend Halo but you're being needlessly harsh calling it a last-gen effort. What do you expect? Also you can't produce an FPS that's current gen that looks as good as this, runs at 4k 60 and features split screen co-op. Like I said it's technically a current gen game just optimized for XSX. People expecting next gen graphics from cross gen games are as dumb as the ones expecting the cross gen games from PS3 to PS4 to look like TLOU2. Logic. Use it.
I don't have some magical expectation of next gen games, I just want more good games like we've been having at the tail end of this gen. But this Halo Infinite.. This Halo.. Is something else! If you really think this looks good then I guess Xbox is going to do just fine with their blind loyal fan base.

I'm not hating on Xbox, I love my One X for what it is but if you really think this looks good for a new game not yet released and we are in July 2020, then I don't really know what to say anymore.

It's not like I'm in the minority thinking this, majority of people here on GAF over multiple threads even Xbox fan boys saying this is highly disappointing.

Halo 5 ran 4K 60fps did it not? It's widely known the game was not good at all. I'm not sure why you keep forcing this whole 4K 60fps like that is the reason why it's going to be good. Resolution and frames has nothing to do with why this looks like shit.. At all!

DavidGzz

I don't have some magical expectation of next gen games, I just want more good games like we've been having at the tail end of this gen. But this Halo Infinite.. This Halo.. Is something else! If you really think this looks good then I guess Xbox is going to do just fine with their blind loyal fan base.

I'm not hating on Xbox, I love my One X for what it is but if you really think this looks good for a new game not yet released and we are in July 2020, then I don't really know what to say anymore.

It's not like I'm in the minority thinking this, majority of people here on GAF over multiple threads even Xbox fan boys saying this is highly disappointing.

Halo 5 ran 4K 60fps did it not? It's widely known the game was not good at all. I'm not sure why you keep forcing this whole 4K 60fps like that is the reason why it's going to be good. Resolution and frames has nothing to do with why this looks like shit.. At all!

I guess I'm easy to please. I'm not a big fan of the art style anymore, but I still think the high resolution and frame rate will look great especially in big team battle mode or whatever multiplayer mode they have. I also think Ghost of Tsushima has the best graphics of all time so far. A lot of that's just art style particle effects, weather, atmosphere etc. I guess I just love games I'm not expecting the world from cross gen games. I also almost never joined the bandwagon when it comes to the hate for any game in general. I think there's too much of it on forums in general and I feel bad for the devs all the time. I'm pretty easy going laid back and happy.

GodofWhimsy

I love how the aesthetic is very reminiscent to older Halo. I thought the over saturation of colours in the newer entries made everything a bit overwhelming on the senses. I couldn't tell an enemy from a piece of debris.

I can't really complain because a return to what I picture to be "true Halo" is exactly what I wanted. I also always favoured the larger, more explorable stages. This is pretty ideal for me ngl.

TBiddy

HZD already outclasses HI. That's on a 4.2Tf console, 4Kcb/30fps.
HI is running on a 12Tf machine.

HFW will run on a 10Tf machine and given that HZD used ingame cutscenes, you doubt that HFW will look like the trailer?

I doubt you actually believe that..

Of course HFW wont look like the trailer they showed. That’s a given.

Halo Infinite looked great in the 4K stream. I suppose you’re bashing it based on the live stream, which of course is silly.

Psykodad

Banned
Talking about borderline delusional...
The reveal trailer for HZD was gameplay and looked worse than the final game.

Edit:

Don't even know why we're having this discussion.
We'll get back to this when HFW gameplay footage drops.

It'll be a league above HI.

Last edited:
I'm hoping the low-res textures and obvious pop-in are a result of 343i showing a demo that is months old but happened to be playable. Let's not forget, this same gameplay trailer would have probably been shown early in June had E3 not been cancelled, which would mean the demo is from April or May. I think the more likely explanation is that COVID severely hampered development of the game. If that's the case, I wouldn't be against Microsoft delaying the game to Spring 2021. As far as the direction of the game, with a highly explorable Halo ring and the return of equipment, I think those decisions arefantastic and the gameplay looks fun as all Halo games are.

Last edited:

Redlight

Is this your first day? There was always going to be a massive backlash against the MS show regardless of what was shown. Halo Infinite looks like an actual Halo game as opposed to 4 & 5. I thought it looked fine and is what people have been asking for.

Is this current gen/cross-gen game the greatest visual achievement of all time? No, of course it isn't.
Is it a graphical disaster? No, of course not.

Halo Infinite will be a massive success and will do record numbers, at least in part, due to Gamepass.

Oh, and don't forget. If you're already a Gamepass subscriber, the game is free.

Last edited:

TaroYamada

Microsoft should have let Bungie make Destiny under their ownership. Instead they are basically turning Halo into Destiny years after the fact.

Also weird marketing: We have the most powerful hardware! But absolutely no games will be making use of it for two years!

Pantz

Did they specify any details on the demo? I can only hope that demo was running on the One X and the XSX version will look much cleaner.

Graphics aside, I really liked what they showed. Gameplay looks great and I'm already IN for open world Halo.

Andodalf

Banned
Did they specify any details on the demo? I can only hope that demo was running on the One X and the XSX version will look much cleaner.

Graphics aside, I really liked what they showed. Gameplay looks great and I'm already IN for open world Halo.

No way in hell that was running on XOX, the geometry and texture quality was next gen stuff. The cutscene models would be a big stretch for the One X even at 30fps, let alone 60 FPS. Halo 5 cutscenes were 30 FPS on current gen, that won’t change.

But being clean isn’t a problem. Even in the YT upload in 4K, IQ is really fine. Looks like native 4K with some nice TAA If I was to randomly guess. Didn’t notice much specular sheen even

ruvikx

Banned

There's a lot of talk about graphics, but I'd say one of the main problems here is it looks like a sort of remake/remaster of Combat Evolved. I mean I feel I've been there loads of times already & fought those exact same Covenant millions of times already & driven that warthog for nearly 20 years already.

I would have thought new technology would offer the chance for something more intricate rather than a mere nostalgia driven "look! we've made Combat Evolved again!".

And I don't like the chatter about "games as a service" I'm hearing in various forums either. Keep that sh*t in Destiny & out of Halo. For me, Halo is at its best with a really tight well balanced single player campaign (Reach, ODST, Halo 3) & the multiplayer is separate.

DavidGzz

All you need to do is go into photomode and zoom in on her face.

GG knows how to handle games, unlike 343.
But again, we'll wait for HFW gameplay footage and make a comparison again.

Edit: why not compare vistas while you're at it?

Funny Halo 4 has as good or better graphics than KillZone 3 and a better meta.

Justin9mm

Is this your first day? There was always going to be a massive backlash against the MS show regardless of what was shown. Halo Infinite looks like an actual Halo game as opposed to 4 & 5. I thought it looked fine and is what people have been asking for.

Is this current gen/cross-gen game the greatest visual achievement of all time? No, of course it isn't.
Is it a graphical disaster? No, of course not.

Halo Infinite will be a massive success and will do record numbers, at least in part, due to Gamepass.

Oh, and don't forget. If you're already a Gamepass subscriber, the game is free.
I don't know where you got the information that there was always going to be a backlash regardless? I think that's in your head.

No one is expecting some great impossible achievement or something we have not seen before but this looks a lot worse than a new current gen game pushing current gen hardware.

It will be a success because it's one of the game franchises that has been keeping the Xbox fan base. And without gamepass Xbox would have been doing even worse.

It looks about right for what you'd expect of a game that has to still consider that it has to run on Jaguar cores and HDDs, with the 9th gen just able to crank up graphics more and add non-fundamental improvements. Which is exactly what people were saying you were concern trolling to say was logically true a while ago. It literally just has to be true.
But you see stuff poping up all over the place, the lods are pretty aggressive... They should be able to eliminate that kind of thing without having to sacrifice any kind of compatibility. Just boost the graphical settings on the new console, like they do on the X, look at PC versions of console games running on PCs with high end graphics cards, console games are the same, except the options are hidden (even on PC often times some graphics options are hidden in some .ini file or something like that).

I wonder if those pop-ins are because of the slower SSD? or is it just some mis-configuration... or is this a sign of things to come?

I mean look at the level of details in what Sony had on display, they are on a different level.

Yoda

Visuals really weren't "next-gen". A lot of stuff currently available looks nicer. Most likely due to this being mandated as a cross-gen title.

Mister Wolf

Don't get me wrong. I will still get it day one but it's healthy to make fun out of how poor this whole presentation was.

I've just accepted that its a current gen game. No problem, will play on PC at 4k 60+fps with raytracing and hopefully DLSS. The Series X exclusive first person shooter with lots of detailed texture work that everybody loves will be Scorn.

Last edited:
I’m really confused about this releasing as a service.. I mean game doesn’t even look half finished.

I’ll be playing Day 1 via Gamepass on PC, but man this looks To be in a very very rough state

Kagey K

Banned
TBH after being disappointed with graphics, on the livestream, and then watching it again a few minutes ago in 4K, it’s not as bad as people want to make it look.

The gameplay looks fun as hell (it’s Halo) and some of the pop in and judder can easily be fixed before launch.

Polishing the rough edges is usually the last thing done, and focusing on one frame or one animation doesn’t detract from everything else the game is doing.

Type_Raver

Flagship title that struggles under the weight of its own flag.

Rough looking demonstration graphically, solid but somewhat busy game play sample. Doesn't know if it wants to be doom, destiny or its own thing.

Apocryphon

It's almost like they saw the changes id made to Doom's combat with Eternal and decided that they should introduce a grappling hook and let Chief jump higher. The demo was clearly put together to highlight a more frenetic pacing and increased verticality. All they need is a double-dash evade now...

Combat certainly looked better than expected so no complaints there. I'm interested to see where they go with it.

The world looks good. They're obviously trying to tap into the first game's nostalgia and that's fine. I'd like to see weather effects and a more diverse biome. Give me steamy rainforests, wind battered stormy coastlines, muddybbogs and swamps etc. Granted the pop-in seen in the demo was jarring but that should be easy enough to fix.

My only real issue with it visually is that it looks too clean. It's almost clinically clean, particularly Chiefs armour and the weapons. I want to see grease stains, scuffs and scratches, some sort of wear on weapons. Right now the weapons don't even look at good as Reach's and very inferior to something like Destiny 2 and Metro Exodus.

I also have to assume that they'll build a battle royale mode. I can see that working well in the context of having it set on a Halo ring world and they already have a shitload of item pickups, vehicles etc. Need to see much more dense geometry for that though, super wide open spaces just leads to everybody playing as a sniper.

I'm not blown away and I suppose I'm pretty disappointed overall, but maybe it will work out. If the Covenant are the main enemy faction here I'll be happier than I was with 4 and 5.

ZywyPL

Banned
Apparently the gameplay is from an early build:

I don't know what to think TBH, it did looked like an X1X game, but there's only so much they can do/add within 3-4 months before the game ships, maybe the RT will be a game-changer, but until then, it is what it is.

Compsiox

Banned

I don't know what to think TBH, it did looked like an X1X game, but there's only so much they can do/add within 3-4 months before the game ships, maybe the RT will be a game-changer, but until then, it is what it is.
It's 6 months old build. It will almost be a year old come launch. A decent amount can change visually in a year. I don't expect too much but little improvements here and there.

JimiNutz

Banned
Why after five years are they showing such an early build of the game?
This game is due out in 4 months!

Troubled development for sure.
Making an open world game may be too ambitious for 343.

Mister Wolf

I would love to know what raytracing features they plan to add to the game. I'm sure they know. Raytraced lighting for a game with day/night cycle is a legit gamechanger.

Top Bottom