• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite gameplay was running on a PC, not on Series X

martino

Lets look at the big first-party stuff from both sides in terms of what they showed

Halo Infinite - Included Gameplay
Forza - No Gameplay
Avowed - No Gameplay
Fable - No Gameplay
State of Decay 3 - No Gameplay

Sony

Ratchet - included gameplay (for the second part not part in trailer which is target in engine)
Spiderman - no Gameplay
Returnal - target in engine
GT - Included Gameplay
Horizon - No Gameplay
Demon's Souls - No Gameplay

I think its pretty clear
it's more the truth corrected like this

Yes I can lmao.

There were obvious gameplay snippets in the spiderman trailer. If you played the original you'd know how that game looks as you play it. I agree there wasn't actually much.

Avowed showed a character drawing his sword and wielding magic with animations that will obviously not occur during gameplay. It was scripted. There was no gameplay in that what so ever.
The Spiderman Morales was a cinematic trailer. NOBODY except you are trying to imply it was gameplay. You're becoming annoying.

Three

This is actually good news.

The pop-ins seen will likely not be present on the XSX, unless they made the game to take advantage of an SSD on the PC (which I doubt they did). And it can potentially look better on the XSX than on the PC, just like what they're doing with Gears 5.
Additionally, we don't know what the build date of this demo is.
So why would they show the version with pop in? Clearly the PC version was either better in some way or they are trying to throw PC under the bus to save XSX after that showing.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Does it really matter when the XSX has a GPU comparable to a 2080 Ti which is the best gaming GPU card available?

XSX likely looks the same as this. Framerates might be lower but I suspect it'll still be 60fps. If there is any raytracing then PC will look better but I didn't see any in the gameplay.

I could understand if XSX was about 9-10TF and the PC was using a 2080 Ti.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: MrS

mortal

The pop-ins seen will likely not be present on the XSX, unless they made the game to take advantage of an SSD on the PC (which I doubt they did). And it can potentially look better on the XSX than on the PC, just like what they're doing with Gears 5.
xcEamGI.gif

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

You do know that PC SSD speeds are much faster than what XSX has?

Unless they were running the game off a HDD or SATA3 SSD (would explain the crazy pop in tho) then PC will have the same or better speeds as XSX if using an Nvme drive.

Nvme speeds are generally 2.5-5GB/s. My SSD is 3.5GB/s.

I could see your point if XSX had an SSD speed of 5.5GB/s.

Last edited:

Ascend

So why would they show the version with pop in? Clearly the PC version was either better in some way or they are trying to throw PC under the bus to save XSX after that showing.
Maybe the PC had better graphics as of now at the cost of pop-in. No one knows. I do agree that they likely chose the PC because it is currently in a better state to be shown compared to the console version. It's not as if the XSX is incapable though. This is either a development issue or an art style issue. Kind of a shame though. Because after looking at CrossfireX, the XSX is clearly capable of a lot more.

4K60 is not easy though. They would have been better off lowering the resolution and adding more graphical effects. Not to mention toning down the AA. The AA is really overkill.

Ascend

You do know that PC SSD speeds are much faster than what XSX has?
I know. But the current way DirectX works doesn't really help with this. Until DirectStorage comes around, the faster SSDs can't stretch their legs as much as they are capable of.

Unless they were running the game off a HDD or SATA3 SSD (would explain the crazy pop in tho) then PC will have the same or better speeds as XSX if using an Nvme drive.
I wouldn't be surprised if they ported the Xbox One X version to the PC rather than the XSX version, simply because the former works much more like a PC does. But I don't want to get people's expectations too high either. The fact that RT is going to come later hints that they are running late with development of the game.

Nvme speeds are generally 2.5-5GB/s. My SSD is 3.5GB/s.

I could see your point if XSX had an SSD speed of 5.5GB/s.
And yet your PC games load only about 5 times faster rather than 50 times.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Does it really matter when the XSX has a GPU comparable to a 2080 Ti which is the best gaming GPU card available?

XSX likely looks the same as this. Framerates might be lower but I suspect it'll still be 60fps. If there is any raytracing then PC will look better but I didn't see any in the gameplay.

I could understand if XSX was about 9-10TF and the PC was using a 2080 Ti.

Series X GPU is a RTX 2080 equivalent as demonstrated by The Coalition to Digital Foundry in person.

bargeparty

The moment when the player has control over what is happening on the screen.

How do you handle "cinematic gameplay" which is gameplay presented with no hud and camera movement that is made to look like a cutscene?

If you looked at one of Much's gif's without knowledge of the game being shown you might not believe it's gameplay when it is.

That's what the Horizon and Spider-man videos show.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
That's what developers do at conferences it'll probably be on PC at some point just the way gaming is today (Horizon, Death Stranding PC versions etc.)

RasAlGhoul

The game doesn't really look that bad. It looks like a cleaned up cross gen game. This was never going to be a true revolution being tied to the Xbox One.

This confirms it. Those rumors that Xbox was behind schedule were true. We're just months from release, yet we haven't seen a single new game running on XSX? Always in-engine or running on PCs that are supposed to replicate the XSX.

Last edited:
Honest question, who cares? The system doesn't release for months and development is often done on PC. Not to mention the game is coming out on PC.

Mista

Banned
Which makes it not good in any form. I might be very harsh on the game is a hardcore Halo head but I’ll wait and see the final build. If nothing changes which is what I truly believe, then GG 343, 3 chances and you messed them all up. But if they managed to turn it around I’m willing to praise it.

I don't know, the XBOX GAMES SHOWCASE didn't feature any XBOX gameplay, only PC gameplay.

I think that's worth drilling into even if a little bit.

XBOX is PC too. I swear some people will never learn this. Every PC is an XBOX. For those of us that prefer couch console gaming we have the Series X. Console warriors are just punching the sky with this shit.

Last edited:

Rubik8

This is what denial looks like.

Imtjnotu

So much spin you got me dizzy

Tutomos

I honestly believe MS was banking on Cyberpunk to save them so they didn't really care about how Halo would be received.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I honestly believe MS was banking on Cyberpunk to save them so they didn't really care about how Halo would be received.

Is Cyberpunk a timed console exclusive or something? Sorry, I just haven't kept up with the game.

Top Bottom