• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite graphics evolution - 2020 vs 2021 - Major Improvement

Iced Arcade

Here is some more hilarious salty replies to add.

Loope

To me Stalker 2 looks like a sad clone of previous corridor shooters with little imagination or scope. Come back to us when it expands to large scale battles with better enemy AI and tighter, faster gameplay. When you wander around a map in slow motion in a limited space or environment it's not hard to focus on graphics much.
This only tells me you definetely never played a Stalker game, like ever.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
The cutscenes from 2020 look better then 2021, but gameplay looks better in 2021. 2021 cutscene is also different lighting so not really a fair comparison....

iHaunter

Textures and lighting make or break visuals.... yes there is more to it than that, but even even the highest detailed mesh will suffer without good texture and lighting work.

With that said, Halo Infinite is looking just fine. Nothing earth shattering... but it looks good. The art style is looking fantastic IMO... like a modernized original XBOX game. I totally dig it.
I don't mind the Graphics if the gameplay is good.

elliot5

Eh, i think it was more cg representing an impossibly high target and now they have egg on their face for not being able to reach that target render
It was definitely not cg in the sense that it was modeled and rendered in Maya or something. You can tell by the particle effects by the rhinos and the warthog or whatever it is. It definitely was a high target that had to be scaled back as actually gameplay was made for the supported systems.

The 2019 trailer was also in engine and the cutscenes look exactly the same

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
To me Stalker 2 looks like a sad clone of previous corridor shooters with little imagination or scope. Come back to us when it expands to large scale battles with better enemy AI and tighter, faster gameplay. When you wander around a map in slow motion in a limited space or environment it's not hard to focus on graphics much.

You completely missed the point.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Graphics aren’t important for me when it comes to halo but if it gives the franchise some confidence than do the delay thing.

Have you ever played STALKER? Because I don't think you know what it is AT ALL.

Looks better but expectations are also much much higher now. Its been a year later, and PS5 has released killer after killer. Halo Infinite was meant to help get Xbox through the first year.
"killer after killer"

please elighten me on what games you're talking about? all i can think of is Demons Souls and maybe Ratchet & Clank. The only other good PS5 games aren't out yet: Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo, and God of War.

Will be the first game I buy for my Series X that I've had since launch
what have you been doing with it since launch then?

Last edited:

HYDE

Banned
Graphics are fine. Is the gameplay amazing and fun? Metroid Dread & Elden Ring are catching the same flack…quit caring about graphics so much folks. Wait to play the game, and figure out if it’s great or not at that point.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Looks better but expectations are also much much higher now. Its been a year later, and PS5 has released killer after killer. Halo Infinite was meant to help get Xbox through the first year.
The fact that they dont have a release date yet, that they are hiding the campaign is concerning

The Alien

Banned
Still delicious bacon regardless.

So you are surprised a next-gen exclusive looks better than a cross-gen game?

giphy.gif
....with massive multiplayer components vs. a linear single player experience.

You completely missed the point.
Have you ever played STALKER? Because I don't think you know what it is AT ALL.
The point is that some are acting like Stalker 2 as a 3rd party game somehow puts Infinite to shame in the graphics department, which is laughably untrue. What is irrelevant is whether or not I have played Stalker. Ive watched videos of Stalker and the trailer for Stalker 2. It looks generic. It doesn't look like a graphical powerhouse. Nothing in the trailer shows open encounters. Can someone direct me to the footage of Stalker 2 that somehow blows away Halo Infinite? Because I must have missed it.

fatmarco

The point is that some are acting like Stalker 2 as a 3rd party game somehow puts Infinite to shame in the graphics department, which is laughably untrue. What is irrelevant is whether or not I have played Stalker. Ive watched videos of Stalker and the trailer for Stalker 2. It looks generic. It doesn't look like a graphical powerhouse. Nothing in the trailer shows open encounters. Can someone direct me to the footage of Stalker 2 that somehow blows away Halo Infinite? Because I must have missed it.
Stalker_2_Heart_Of_Chernobyl_Bloodsucker.19215b41.jpg

vs.

06rcFERHAAT5T82mqpHWZX1-1..1596234523.jpg

The cutscenes from 2020 look better then 2021, but gameplay looks better in 2021. 2021 cutscene is also different lighting so not really a fair comparison....
I absolutely disagree about the 2020 cutscene looking better. Not one person has said this bar you, I mean are you being serious? Now if you said the 2019 trailer you'd have a discussion, but the 2020 trailer not a chance.

As much as I am hyped for Halo Infinite, the reality is that its nothing compared to the original E3 2018 slipspace engine.

I am glad the game got delayed and got a visual boost. The fact of the matter is that its a cross gen title and that's it. I don't care how anyone or how MS spins it, but its cross gen.

We will have to wait another while to see a true next gen Halo sadly. Also, I have no clue how they are planning on supporting this game for 10 years running on an old gen system. Perhaps that's where the Xbox Series X Cloud Server Blades come in but even then i am not sure

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

As much as I am hyped for Halo Infinite, the reality is that its nothing compared to the original E3 2018 slipspace engine.

I am glad the game got delayed and got a visual boost. The fact of the matter is that its a cross gen title and that's it. I don't care how anyone or how MS spins it, but its cross gen.

We will have to wait another while to see a true next gen Halo sadly. Also, I have no clue how they are planning on supporting this game for 10 years running on an old gen system. Perhaps that's where the Xbox Series X Cloud Server Blades come in but even then i am not sure
If it wasn't cross gen it would of ended up looking way better.

the_master

That is what I wanted, visually.
It is insulting that they claimed that was in engine at that point.

Now they may keep improving it during the next 10 years but it won't be the same.

I still hope that the gameplay will be great, thus the game will be great regardless of graphics.

Sometimes I hope that they had rebooted the game sooner or delayed it 3 years instead of 1, so that they really cooked something spectacular at all levels.

Top Bottom