• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Multiplayer is out NOW

ZehDon

Oh no, you might not finish all battle pass, however will you cope.

Why do you need to "get something out of it" in every round? Don't you get fun? Again, why do so many people seem to not actually like playing video games, they just like chasing carrots on sticks?
When 343i charge AUD$15 for the content in the form of a Battle Pass, ok cool, that's pretty fair. When they build a progression system that actively prohibits player progression to encourage players to pay yet more money to then access the AUD$15.00 content they already paid for, that's pretty fucking bad. It's not about players winging about not getting their carrot on a stick - it's about players not being able to get the things they already paid for. I don't mind putting the time in myself, but some folk are already gated on level 1 on day 1. That's garbage. This scenario happened to me in the tech preview both times and killed progression, and 343i dismissed the feedback. There is no excuse.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
My recollection of Halo 3 and Reach is a bit fuzzy...but neither of those games had progression....so, do you not enjoy Infinite's mechanics like those games? Why do you need to "earn" anything?

Halo 3 and Reach both offered various unlocks as well by doing content through the game. Such as the well known and remembered Hayabusa Armour. No extra paywalls, just play the game to get higher ranks and no FOMO to be found.

The progression systems were very simple and they worked very well. Enough that the games still had dedicated playerbases long into Halo 5’s life span, even long after MCC came and went with its numerous updates. INfinite’s Progression system makes you feel *bad* for playing. It’s challenges push you to do focus on things other than winning a match, which we can already see happening. People trying to finish their challenges and not care one way or the other about winning the match. Hiding out and waiting for a particular vehicle or weapon to spawn and then hiding in an area where they can reasonably obtain/finish said challenge. As that is the only way you can *progress* in this game, outside of ranked mode.

I am unsure if they will change it from the previous game, but doing other modes offered nothing in terms of unlocks in MP. Could be that Halo 5 was just the one off case, being a rushed and shitty game, but who knows.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Why do you need to "get something out of it" in every round? Don't you get fun? Again, why do so many people seem to not actually like playing video games, they just like chasing carrots on sticks?

We already have people in lobbies ignoring the objectives and trying to just finish their challenges to level up their BP. The progression system is actively causing harm to the game and just general “I want to play a match and win” fun.

Akhawi

Banned
Even with all settings at low and just 1080p resolution my GTX970 is only able to run Infinite somewhere between 25 and 35fps which feels is totally unplayable to me. Good thing I have a couple of Halo Infinite Limited Edition Series X's waiting for me at the post office that I will be picking up in a few hours.

Series X supports M/K in this game, right?

elliot5

I don't care about xp and achievements and levels and all that, but I would like to have some sense of progression and the cosmetic unlocks seeing as they're not all available in an instant. If I played battlefield and wanted an attachment unlock but 5 rounds didn't count towards unlocking it that would kinda suck.

I'm not super pressed over it but it can be improved. I care more about the gameplay itself anyway.

twilo99

This game completely takes over my monitor's brightness.. the menu is simply grayed out lol I'm guessing its the HDR? anyway to disable it?

Otherwise the game is a blast, they've done a great job!

twilo99

No offense, but this looks like a college grads passion project compared to Vanguard. Progression, graphics, weapon handling, level design. They're not in the same league. Mind you, this is coming from someone who has adored the Halo franchise, but no amount of rose colored tinting can mask the fact that modern FPSs are 15 years ahead of this. That's not to say you wont have fun with it, but more as a nostalgia trip back to when you used to use tunneling software to play bootleg LAN games with your mates on Halo 1.

I only played it for a few hours, but I'll have to agree, vanguard looks more polished overall. Also, I'm able to get 160fps+ on vanguard where my PC hovers around 90-120 in Halo. Its no problem with VRR, but just saying.

Rac3r

It's good, not great but I think the Halo community will be mostly satisfied. So far I think Vanguard feels more exciting (the MW engine is seriously amazing) and I honestly think Gears 5 is more fun (too bad the player-base is nonexistent). It was smart of MS and 343 to undercut the new Warzone release (Dec 2) because the hype would have died out very quickly. Halo MP can shine for a few weeks before everyone moves to Warzone, and then the campaign release will bring some attention back as well.

Overall good management by MS/Xbox to end the year.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
This is sooo good.

Im not even a halo guy but the weapons feel great, the sound is amazing, the physics are great. Im getting that sandbox feel that games just dont have these days. The graphics are excellent too, theres colourd light bouncing off walls, nice materials and a great attention to detail, feels very polished, games like warzone and battlefield feel quite shallow in comparison, in the gameplay elements I mentioned, but these are very different gameplay styles. Both are good, but the little time I've had with infinite is rather refreshing compared to modern twitch shooters like cod.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
No offense, but this looks like a college grads passion project compared to Vanguard. Progression, graphics, weapon handling, level design. They're not in the same league. Mind you, this is coming from someone who has adored the Halo franchise, but no amount of rose colored tinting can mask the fact that modern FPSs are 15 years ahead of this. That's not to say you wont have fun with it, but more as a nostalgia trip back to when you used to use tunneling software to play bootleg LAN games with your mates on Halo 1.

In the elements I described COD is inferior. They are very different games, so comparing them does not make sense.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
How? I’m almost level 4.

Weekly challenges are drawn from a random pool each week. Not everyone gets the same set. Some are getting absurdly difficult/RNG dependent challenges and routinely are not getting the modes/maps where it is even *viable* to finish these challenges. The only way to “move past” these near impossible challenges is to use the few free challenge swap tokens you get in the BP or spend real money to buy a pack of them.

The more games you play, the more matches you need to play to earn the basic daily challenge XP reward.

Plus not everyone has all day to play the game.

The game is designed in such a way to treat player’s time with nothing but disrespect and goad the mentally ill and whales to spend money to earn unlocks. It’s greedy, low, and pathetic.

Last edited:

Bridges

Haven't spent a lot of time with a Halo title since Reach and generally never cared much for the series, but this is super fun.

My only complaint so far is one I have with every multiplayer game these days, all the cool unlocks cost real money. The battle passes never expiring is really great but I still never want to engage with that model. When you saw someone with an elaborate skin it used to mean they had played the game a bunch or accomplished something difficult, but now it just means they've got money to burn which is less interesting to me.

Aside from that though, it seems well made, can't way for Forge to be added.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The battle pass maybe seems a bit slow? But I really don't play Halo cuz of a few cosmetic add-ons so I'm not sure I care.
Progression is definitely slow. Don’t really care since it’s just cosmetic and has no time limit, but it’s definitely slow.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I don't care about xp and achievements and levels and all that, but I would like to have some sense of progression and the cosmetic unlocks seeing as they're not all available in an instant. If I played battlefield and wanted an attachment unlock but 5 rounds didn't count towards unlocking it that would kinda suck.

I'm not super pressed over it but it can be improved. I care more about the gameplay itself anyway.
Attachments do something, they affect how the game plays. Cosmetics don't.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Included with Halo Infinite's Multiplayer is an in-story tutorial called Spartan Academy. Check out about 14 minutes of it right here, with gameplay and cutscenes included, on Xbox Series X!

Halo Infinite's multiplayer surprise released on November 15th alongside Xbox's 20th Anniversary Stream. While the multiplayer is still officially in beta, it's free-to-play, fully featured, and carries progression into the final release. From Slayer, to Oddball, to King of the Hill, there are many modes to play in Halo Infinite right now.

decisions

Game is OK. Most guns are unsatisfying, and the grenade spam is crazy. I like the maps.

Honestly having way more fun playing Vanguard but I will see how this grows on me.

Installing now. Fuck BF 2042

giphy.gif

opagangnam_j6rm3n5x.gif

d71f6bc308ed6bec07eb3487c5b6dac1f6e9b524_00.gif

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I led the team in kills, and secured the winning flag. I feel so good right now lol.

The melee feels so damned satisfying. The guns just straight work. No silly recoil or anything like that. Is this how Halo has always been? This is my first Halo. Loving it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This feels weird. On one hand the gameplay feels polished. Shooting is fun. Gameplay isn’t buggy.

But then everything outside the game feels incomplete. Only two playlists? Why? Especially for a f2p game. Why can’t I just play tdm? What’s up with the progression? I get that it’s f2p but that’s no excuse to strip it out completely. I played several rounds and did well. No unlocks.

They game takes forever to load maps. It gets stuck on waiting for others to load maps. It takes way too long to get into games. Say what U will about cod but they get you in a game within seconds. Here it can take almost 5 minutes between rounds.

ManaByte

Gold Member
What’s up with the progression? I get that it’s f2p but that’s no excuse to strip it out completely. I played several rounds and did well. No unlocks.
What the hell are you talking about? This is Halo. Not COD. The game has never had “unlocks” through progression.

This game is fun. Played for a few hours with the boys and the hours just flew by. I'm still pretty mediocre at it (was mostly carried in all honesty), but I'm relearning how to play slowly but surely. My biggest problem right now is simply not being familiar with most of the weapons and equipment since I haven't played a Halo game in over a decade

sinnergy

This feels weird. On one hand the gameplay feels polished. Shooting is fun. Gameplay isn’t buggy.

But then everything outside the game feels incomplete. Only two playlists? Why? Especially for a f2p game. Why can’t I just play tdm? What’s up with the progression? I get that it’s f2p but that’s no excuse to strip it out completely. I played several rounds and did well. No unlocks.

They game takes forever to load maps. It gets stuck on waiting for others to load maps. It takes way too long to get into games. Say what U will about cod but they get you in a game within seconds. Here it can take almost 5 minutes between rounds.
COVID ? You name it .. now enjoy what you got early and what is there ! Enjoy gaming and enjoy life ..

this is the most fun i've had with a Halo game since Halo 2.

Im a little rusty and so use to playing Destiny....that i need to remember that my melee doesn't magnetize and lunge at the enemy. I keep whiffing melee hits

Coney

Is there a reason my mouse keeps trying to interfere with my controller on PC? I get these odd moments where my aiming is completely stifled and I have to calibrate my aiming again. Don't game on PC much these days, just wondering if this is a Halo Infinite bug or something on my end?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Do I only get to customize my quick playlist after I hit a certain level? Really not a fan of capture the flag.

People are forgetting this is a Beta, maybe its so all modes are full and tested etc. I hope I'm right as I just like tdm and Slayer. I'm must say though I quite enjoy Oddball.

Strider311

I am loving the MP, save for not having loadouts. I know this is historically not a Halo thing for the most part, but I’d like to be able to always spawn with the BR.

Played for 8 hours, its fun but it also feels a little soulless sometimes
my only real frame of reference is Halo 1 & 2. Cuz i didn't play much Halo after those. And to me this reminds me very much of the Halo 1 days. Not a lot of new games nowadays can recapture that feel of the glory days. But this one did in my opinion

If u stuck around with the franchise the whole time, maybe i could see some ppl might say this could be a regression or too simple. But for me, a lapsed fan. Its nice to play something that instantly feels familiar and like what i remember it. I didn't get that feeling with Halo 5 when i tried getting into that

Södy

Had a lot of fun yesterday.

I don't care for battle pass / cosmetics much (as in: no, I won't pay money for it) but I wish they would have a normal rank that'll also level like in MCC, taking in your performance in a match. Leave the battlepass XP by challenges only but I'd really like to have a rank system to feel some sort of progression.

And customizable nameplates / emblems like MCC.

sendit

Played for ~35 mins (Quickplay), top kills in both matches. I'm ready for the Campaign. TTK is easy to get used to if you know how to aim. Graphics are medicore at best (played everything at Ultra w/ some settings maxing at High)

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Literally not stopped playing and I have work in one hour, what thebfuck this is so fun.

hope they sort the XP issue out to be a little more forgiving but its the most fun ive had in a long time.

Top Bottom