• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Multiplayer is out NOW

noise36

Jumped in on PC had has a quick game.

My fond memories of Halo probably end around Halo 3 or 4.

Will need to put a little more time into MP to see if its for me or not but the p;rice is right so why not.

Ogbert

Greatly prefer ranked arena to big team battle.

Gonna be playing this for a long time. Its so nice to have a classic style arena shooter in a modern skin.
Will be very interesting to see how the Fortnite and Warzone crowd react to this. Slower paced. Less jumping nonsense. Calmer.

That’s not a criticism by the way - those games are great. But as you say, this feels like something from the mid 2000s wrapped in modern garb.

And I’m never playing D2 crucible again.

GHG

Gold Member
Will be very interesting to see how the Fortnite and Warzone crowd react to this. Slower paced. Less jumping nonsense. Calmer.

That’s not a criticism by the way - those games are great. But as you say, this feels like something from the mid 2000s wrapped in modern garb.

And I’m never playing D2 crucible again.

This + insurgency and hell let loose are all I need for my multiplayer needs for when I feel like shooting some shit.

Fuck COD/BF/Fortnite etc, I'm too old for that shit.

Naked Lunch

The 2 Test Flights already made me a believer in this game - best Halo mp since Halo 3 no doubt.

One Flag CTF is back!
I like that CTF defenders now get a point for defending a round. Meaning if you Defend, Cap, and Defend - the match will now end. All past Halos had that 4th round for no reason if one team was getting wrecked.

I will say there are some questionable game mode decisions with this beta though:
-No direct Team Slayer selection. I guess this is to force people to try out and learn some objective modes?
-Oddball is round based now - could potentially make for some epic games - but I can see people quitting because the match takes a very long time.
These can both be easily corrected - and Team Slayer selection will no doubt be there eventually.

GHG

Gold Member
Can someone please explain to me how to kill someone in this game? I am literally unloading full clips into people and they’re running straight through me. 😡

Think of it as two stages. Stage one is taking their shield out (you will know when this is done once they look like they are electrocuted) and then stage 2 is the final kill. Once their shield is out then a head shot or melee punch is an instant kill.

You can bypass all of this by melee punching someone in the back, that's an instant kill. There are certain weapons that are one shot kill if you land a head shot as well (snipers for example, unless it's different in this game?).

I'd suggest doing the academy stuff in the main menu if you're brand new to the franchise.

Last edited:

cragarmi

Why does the pistol seem to do more damage than the assault rifle? People just seem to be spamming grenades all the time. Seems somewhat unbalanced, but I guess that's why it is in beta? A bit late to be balancing things though less than a month before full release? Hopefully the campaign will be more my cup of tea.

Null Persp

It's great to be back , the last time I've played Halo multiplayer was on 360 with Halo 3.
Finally a great and a simple team deathmatch mode that I can enjoy after the battle royale craziness that saturated the market.

GHG

Gold Member
Is the ability to customise their spartan not working for anyone else? I'm just getting a flashing loading screen when I click on the option from the menu.

Naked Lunch

Can someone please explain to me how to kill someone in this game? I am literally unloading full clips into people and they’re running straight through me. 😡
You have to be conscious of when your enemies shield has popped. This is represented visually by lightning or a stactic blast.
There are countless scenarios from there - thats why Halo's combat is so highly regarded. Its not a see first, kill first game - even if getting caught off guard, you can still outplay people. The better Halo player usually wins 95% of the time.

Ideally you want to set up firefights with a well placed grenade then finish with gun or melee - or the other way around.
If youre not shooting, it takes 2 melee's to kill a full shield/full health person from the front. Melees in the back kill in one hit.
AR+melee at close range.
Pistol/BR at mid to long.
Stay around teammates to focus fire enemies.
Also remember to charge your own shields before just running back out there.
Not to mention learning how and when to use the different grenade types+equipment, and deciding which two weapons to carry on the fly.

Overall Halo has an extremely high skill ceiling - and there are really, really good players out there.
Good luck and practice, practice, practice.

Last edited:

TheZink

Think of it as two stages. Stage one is taking their shield out (you will know when this is done once they look like they are electrocuted) and then stage 2 is the final kill. Once their shield is out then a head shot or melee punch is an instant kill.

You can bypass all of this by melee punching someone in the back, that's an instant kill. There are certain weapons that are one shot kill if you land a head shot as well (snipers for example, unless it's different in this game?).

I'd suggest doing the academy stuff in the main menu if you're brand new to the franchise.
Thanks brother. 🙏

jigglet

Banned
Can I carry more than 2 types of grenades?

EDIT: I just tested it and you can't. Why are there two bindings for previous grenade / next grenade? I assume you can carry more than 2 in campaign?

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
More accurate than 99.9% of ‘insiders’:

sv38z685btz71.jpg

fazzk7

Neo Member
Is anyone else getting this error

“ATTENTION: An error occurred while searching for players. Please try again.”

very frustrating I haven’t been able to get into any match at all. Reset network and Xbox etc. no luck getting jn. What could be wrong ?

BigLee74

Why does the pistol seem to do more damage than the assault rifle? People just seem to be spamming grenades all the time. Seems somewhat unbalanced, but I guess that's why it is in beta? A bit late to be balancing things though less than a month before full release? Hopefully the campaign will be more my cup of tea.
You sound like you’ve never played Halo before? Grenades, pistol, melee - it’s the Halo dance.

Naked Lunch

Can I carry more than 2 types of grenades?

EDIT: I just tested it and you can't. Why are there two bindings for previous grenade / next grenade? I assume you can carry more than 2 in campaign?
You can carry 2 types only. Frag and Sticky for example. Then use the D Pad to switch between the 2. You can only carry a quantity of 2 of each type. You have to chose which 2 types of grenades the same why you have to chose which 2 weapons youll carry.

jigglet

Banned
You can carry 2 types only. Frag and Sticky for example. Then use the D Pad to switch between the 2. You can only carry a quantity of 2 of each type. You have to chose which 2 types of grenades the same why you have to chose which 2 weapons youll carry.

On PC there are two key binds, next and previous gadget. That only makes sense if you can carry 3 or more, otherwise why wouldn't it just be one key bind (swap gadget). Hope that makes sense.

I assume in the campaign you can carry 3 or more?

Naked Lunch

On PC there are two key binds, next and previous gadget. That only makes sense if you can carry 3 or more, otherwise why wouldn't it just be one key bind (swap gadget). Hope that makes sense.

I assume in the campaign you can carry 3 or more?
Ah ok - your original post said "grenade" not "gadget".
In campaign you can probably carry 2 equipment or more (mp you can carry only 1 equipment).
The purpose of switch grenade bind is obviously to switch from frag to sticky or something.

cragarmi

You sound like you’ve never played Halo before? Grenades, pistol, melee - it’s the Halo dance.
Kind of, last played Halo multiplayer in Halo 2, so I guess I'm out of practice? I'm not the only one who thinks there are balance issues though. May try it again once the hype dies down.

Battlefield will be alright, Vanguard on the other hand ..
The three of them are totally different type of shooters. Each one serves a different FPS community and style. They will all be fine. B

You can't be great at COD and have your brain trained for how that works from aiming, moving etc etc and then suddenly move into a game with a much much longer TTK and shooting style. Same with battlefield. The shock of that will keep those players with those games.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Can someone explain to me what the purpose of the battlepass stuff is and what it's for?

I'm seeing people talking about it. Am I missing out on anything by not giving a shit about it if I just want to have fun playing ranked arena?

God I feel so out of touch with all this season/battlepass crap that goes on in MP games these days. What happened to just playing, having fun and improving your skills eh?

Can someone explain to me what the purpose of the battlepass stuff is and what it's for?

I'm seeing people talking about it. Am I missing out on anything by not giving a shit about it if I just want to have fun playing ranked arena?

God I feel so out of touch with all this season/battlepass crap that goes on in MP games these days. What happened to just playing, having fun and improving your skills eh?
Its just cosmetics, you don't even need to pay attention to it.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: GHG

VN1X

Banned

yeah yeah theres also corona pandemic going round now watch out

• Empathy

Kagey K

Banned
The three of them are totally different type of shooters. Each one serves a different FPS community and style. They will all be fine. B

You can't be great at COD and have your brain trained for how that works from aiming, moving etc etc and then suddenly move into a game with a much much longer TTK and shooting style. Same with battlefield. The shock of that will keep those players with those games.
Back in the day I used to switch between Halo 3 and COD4 and it always took a few rounds to get used to COD4 again.

It was relatively easy to go from CoD to Halo, but You go running around CoD like you are playing Halo and you get dropped fast. 😅

YukiOnna

If you don't care about cosmetics and just want to play, you can totally ignore it. They have exclusive armor from their Esports store and it just adds more unlocks to the level tiers. Like wanting fire effects or Halo Reach armor.

Kev Kev

same here man

i asked this same question a couple months back. i think fortnite popularized it, and now its like this MP standard. its stupid and basically just means more money for developers. just ignore it and play the base game, unless you care about cosmetic shit.

• Strength
Top Bottom