• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite |OT| Campaign. Evolved.

Which is why I'm making sure to do all side activities before progressing each story mission.

I briefly stepped away from doing this to dig into main story, but thankfully I was given a second chance before pushing forward more in story. I will not make that mistake again. I will complete all side objectives before pushing forward with anymore story from here on out.

I see the way 343 handled this initial scare of not having access to the open world to complete side objectives as a very good way to signal to the player "hey, we're going to get into some story moments that will occupy you in specific places, so you might want to do all those activities in the open world if you want any chance of doing them again before endgame."

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Just finished campaign. Disappointing. I was having much more fun in the open world and the last few campaign missions would not let up on the, admittedly cool, boss fights and corridor after corridor, with no respite back into the open world.

I’m going back to enjoy the open world now, and I hope they step it up for the next dlc campaign.

One of the marines called me a dickhead earlier. I was fucking outraged. Wrote an email to kotaku.

Im actually finding some of the collectibles quite hard to find at the FOBS, the audio logs are fine as they emit a beep, and I think im doing ok on the cores but the things on the far right arent easy to find. Like the first ransom keep - scan doesnt seem to find them and getting high I cant see any flashing greens

Advancing warning. I just experienced something and it shook me up to see it.

2 things.

First do not ever quick resume this game. Advancing warning. I captured FOB LIMA and went to go find a mjolnir armor locker, and it simply wasn't there. But when I exited the game and tried to go searching again, there it was! So quick resume creates issues. Always shut down the game proper when you're done playing and then re-open it to avoid missing things.

Second, do not listen to audio logs mid game, just collect them because I was really upset just now when the weapon tried to speak to me about an important story thing and the audio log overrided her. Didn't like that.

The Shepard

You should be able to swap the crouch button for the thruster ability as it would make traversing with the grappleshot better imo, be literally flying around the map. Also a better way to change abilities instead of button combinations on the dpad, hold down a button and an ability wheel pops up or you can tap button to instantly swap to the next ability. Best halo in years still, the gameplay is 10/10 perfect for me, it's just so much fun to kill things.

Last edited:

Loope

I wonder how much MS invested into the marketing/shilling of this game. They had to know that if this game failed, Halo would be dead as a franchise. They couldn't let that happen as Halo is synonymous with the Xbox brand. The disparity of opinions between the media and people actually playing the game on Twitch is staggering, with most real person opinions being somewhat negative on the game structure as open world, but all agreeing that the gameplay loop is solid.

The level of manipulation at play here is also next level. Choosing to skin the entire game after the most iconic level in Halo Combat Evolved, and going so far to manipulate your feelings of nostalgia as to use the exact same box art as Halo Combat Evolved reeks of desperation. 343 clearly doesn't have the magic that Bungie did, and still does with Destiny. Destiny is the natural progression of Halo. Infinite just reeks of a desperate attempt at reviving a dying brand by using nostalgia and paid propaganda to dictate public opinion.

This game will be largely forgotten by this time next year. I don't really see the Halo brand going anywhere positive from here. If this game is a commercial success, I can see them going back to the well of nostalgia for the next installment as well.
awkward tropic thunder GIF

You never go full retard. And the likes, oooofff the likes....

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Just played the first two missions and it's incredibly fun. I'm not yet at the open world. I'm probably one of the few who prefers linear Halo, because the action is more concentrated and exciting to me, which is why I also take Halo 2 over Halo 1. Which is not to say I'm not excited for the open world, just an observation. Mechanically the game is great. It plays super smooth, proving once again that Halo is the console shooter with the best controls. The grapple hook is super fun to use, I see myself using it all the time, I mean heck I'm already using it all the time. The guns feel great too. On the gameplay front there is nothing to complain so far.
Just by the way, the graphics look good too, maybe not the most incredible looking game of all time or AAAA or whatever, but it definitely looks good and timely, although I've to see if it holds up at the open world. The presentation and cutscenes are top notch.

so yeah... pretty thrilled so far...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just played the first two missions and it's incredibly fun. I'm not yet at the open world. I'm probably one of the few who prefers linear Halo, because the action is more concentrated and exciting to me, which is why I also take Halo 2 over Halo 1. Which is not to say I'm not excited for the open world, just an observation. Mechanically the game is great. It plays super smooth, proving once again that Halo is the console shooter with the best controls. The grapple hook is super fun to use, I see myself using it all the time, I mean heck I'm already using it all the time. The guns feel great too. On the gameplay front there is nothing to complain so far.
Just by the way, the graphics look good too, maybe not the most incredible looking game of all time or AAAA or whatever, but it definitely looks good and timely, although I've to see if it holds up at the open world. The presentation and cutscenes are top notch.

Once you really get into the open world section, you will see how amazing it is. It takes Halo's gameplay to the next level.

Unity2012

It's hard to share some things without spoiling the game.
I was trying to take over an armory place with 4 marines (on a Razor), and failed miserably. I was highly outnumbered. I went back to FOB loaded another razor with 5 marines; then went and rescued two other groups of marines, now walking across the map, on foot with all of them, lol; (we took care of a few groups of enemies along the way) I made sure "every marine," was equipped with a great weapon... walked with all of them back to the armory, and yes! It was insane! Man, I love this game.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Still really enjoying it. Taking my time. Think I'm on about the seventh or eighth mission, but simply mooching around, doing side stuff.

It actually feels a bit like......Vanilla Destiny.

Ogbert

Does anyone also think that Normal difficulty isn't that easy. I'm at the beginning of the game but still die more often.
Halo is harder than most other fps games. Certainly it's 'normal' vs other's 'normal'.

I think people play it incorrectly or, rather, not how it is intended to be played. Not suggesting that this is what you're doing, but I suspect a fair few people stand still aiming down sights, wondering why they're dying.

The bosses can be tough too.

Does anyone also think that Normal difficulty isn't that easy. I'm at the beginning of the game but still die more often.

Heroic feels easier than I thought it would but just need to be clever with your approach but a decent challenge at times.

The difficulty options are well balanced though, my 6 yo son is playing on easy and nearly done level 2.

Hawk269

I was thinking for me that I would feel the same...I am use to Halo being level after level, some corridor stuff, some semi open areas but pretty linear. I was LOVING the first 2 levels because that is what I am use to with Halo games...but I then made it to the first open world area and WOW...I am loving it more than I ever expected. The way you can approach scenarios is pretty incredible and there are random side things you can or if you choose not do at all. It is pretty incredible what they have done here.

I just cant imagine what the game would of been if they did not have all the issues they experienced. With reports that at one point in 2019 they decided to cut 2/3rd of the game is simple crazy. I wish they would announce a roadmap for both SP and MP stuff....I would love some additional areas to explore like Snow, Deep forest/swamp areas etc.

But at the end of the day, I am judging this game on what is being provided and I am loving it. I am only about 6 hours in or so and it just incredible and one of the best games i have played. The grapple hook is the single biggest change to Halo gameplay and the open or semi open world aspects is presented and executed extremely well.

DragonNCM

Fuckin AI of enemies on legendary is fuckin legendary.
Elites and brutes take better weapons from the ground(marines doing the same), use cover, throw canisters at you, they do proper flanks(specially when your shield is empty) elites also give commands to grunts & jackal's and much much more.
Damn impressive.

aries_71

This first HVT is giving me trouble just on Normal.
Which one? The Elite? Just clean the area from long-medium range and leave him for last. Then use the threat sensor to uncover his position, and deplete his shields from medium range while easily dodging his plasma grenades. Once his shields are depleted he tends to hide against an obstacle, like the good Elite he is. Close in for the kill with a shotgun and teach him what a prey is.

RPS37

Which one? The Elite? Just clean the area from long-medium range and leave him for last. Then use the threat sensor to uncover his position, and deplete his shields from medium range while easily dodging his plasma grenades. Once his shields are depleted he tends to hide against an obstacle, like the good Elite he is. Close in for the kill with a shotgun and teach him what a prey is.
I haven’t tackled The Tower yet. I think k should do that first.

clarky

Gold Member
I'm almost at the end and I think this game would be far better without the open world.
No way. Mucking about in the open world is what makes this game.

Random thoughts. Imagine a gun boat level battling your way up river at sunset, marines in tow leading upto an assault on a banished base lodged in the cliffside. Apocalypse now style. Or you could get a message that one of your FOB's is being attacked and you need to rush to defend it in a mini firefight type thingy mode.

This game has so much potential, hire me 343.

Last edited:
Didn't WB patent the Nemesis System? Hence why we've never seen it outside of those two LOTR games.

Scummy behaviour imo. Should be available in so many other games. As rightfully pointed out, it would work so well here. Makes too much sense.

Shubh_C63

Wow who is playing this game on Heroic, because the game is pretty hard.
Been on the Termonius boss fight and just have to kite him through the corridors which is not that fun. Gonna lower it down to Normal now.

edit: aaand normal is too easy now. another case for game should have just one difficulty option.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished the story, it´s definitely one of the best SP FPS campaigns I´ve played in a long while.

And after this, I don´t think Halo can go back to a non open-world format. It just works too damn well and only highlights the combat scenarios more when you´re given a lot more permutations to work with.

Been on the Termonius boss fight and just have to kite him through the corridors which is not that fun. Gonna lower it down to Normal now.

I am and If that’s the one I am thinking of it was a bitch hahaha.

Outside of boss fights though it’s very manageable.

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
Nearly done. I'm up to mission 13 and got the achievements for getting all the FOBs, rescuing all the marine squads and destroying all the checkpoints (the purple icons on the map)

Sacred

Just to give an example of how much I love this campaign, I just rescued the northern most squad of marines on the first island with the tower and taken down the two elite Brutes and his squad. All the sudden I here reinforcements inbound and at the same time I get one of the random dropship spawns. So I peak out from behind the rocks with my 6 marine buddies and see a literal army of enemies coming at us (talking 30+). So I grapple to the top of a nearby cliff and find a HMG turret and start spraying everything in sight across this flat battlefield. My marine buddies are launching rockets and sniping the back line. Then my turret runs out of ammo as about half of them are dead. Round the corner throw out a threat senor and see a razorback, flip that everyone jumps in and we ride through the remaining army including two cloaked elites. Finally I jump out and shock grapple the boss brute with my custom energy sword and a marine finishes him off in mid air with a rocket. I love this game so much.

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
I'm almost at the end and I think this game would be far better without the open world.
I'm the opposite mate. I like the open world stuff better than the main missions. I'm not a big fan of gathering power seeds or all the indoor forerunner structures

edit: aaand normal is too easy now. another case for game should have just one difficulty option.
I am and If that’s the one I am thinking of it was a both hahaha.

Outside of boss fights though it’s very manageable.

Yes I played through the game on Heroic and all I kept thinking about is how hard legendary is gonna be. The open world stuff is manageable but those boss fights hurt. Now that I'm done I'm gonna relax and just explore/find armor lockers for a bit before restarting on legendary. Certainly there is no rush haha.

scalman

tried campaign... its ok run and shoot .. atl east in corridors... but man it looks dated.. i mean its just like last game just with some better visuals.. but nothing next gen for sure... compare to corridors shooters like doom it looks last gen for sure.. and after cyberpunk or far cry in terms of gun play .. how you jump and what you can do its so dated.. not sure what people see in this rly. looks old ... just because it has nice made enemie models runing around doesnt make it any better... and look at enemies logic ...just stupid and flat . thats at least for first part game inside , but just lookt at it and compare to other thses days games and its nothing here to compare just dated, old , nothing speciall at all. runs fine on gtx 1060 6gb on 1080p maxed.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Didn't WB patent the Nemesis System? Hence why we've never seen it outside of those two LOTR games.

Scummy behaviour imo. Should be available in so many other games. As rightfully pointed out, it would work so well here. Makes too much sense.
Not an IP/Copyright lawyer, but I would be surprised if you could patent a generic game feature like that.

tried campaign... its ok run and shoot .. atl east in corridors... but man it looks dated.. i mean its just like last game just with some better visuals.. but nothing next gen for sure... compare to corridors shooters like doom it looks last gen for sure.. and after cyberpunk or far cry in terms of gun play .. how you jump and what you can do its so dated.. not sure what people see in this rly. looks old ... just because it has nice made enemie models runing around doesnt make it any better... and look at enemies logic ...just stupid and flat . thats at least for first part game inside , but just lookt at it and compare to other thses days games and its nothing here to compare just dated, old , nothing speciall at all. runs fine on gtx 1060 6gb on 1080p maxed.
If you don't enjoy Halo gameplay and mechanics you're not going to enjoy Infinite even if it did look next gen. Personally, I find the graphics/visuals more than pleasing. Halo sandbox magic will always trump corridor shooter visuals for me any day of the week. There is just no comparison.

Wow look at this narrow hallway! So realistic!
Meanwhile...
Halo E3 GIF by Xbox

Top Bottom