• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite |OT| Campaign. Evolved.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Wow who is playing this game on Heroic, because the game is pretty hard.
Been on the Termonius boss fight and just have to kite him through the corridors which is not that fun. Gonna lower it down to Normal now.

edit: aaand normal is too easy now. another case for game should have just one difficulty option.

How about no?

You shouldn't give up. I'm sure if you would try few more times and switch up your tactics you would beat that boss without a problem. He can be easily killed in under 1 minute.

The reason why I love Legendary difficulty in Halo is because you won't beat it with just good motor skills. Good strategy is equally as important. You need to utilize the full sandbox in order to win. And when you do, it's just so damn rewarding.

And if you're really having a hard time try this tip:
Before you initialize the fight, collect every explosive coil and create a pile around the area where he first lands with his jet-pack. One shot = big boom. This should give you the edge. Also, Needler is amazing at killing bosses.
Now switch it back to Heroic, soldier!

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Been playing this quite a lot recently. It’s a lot of fun. Love the grappling hook, it really adds a lot to the open world traversal.

Story and characters are interesting and bosses have been fun. Though I’m not a big fan of the voice acting of the antagonist.

There has only been a couple of things that annoyed me, mainly draw distance and invisible walls. Looking out in the distance I’ve seen lots of trees popping in and out of existence when I just take a couple steps backwards and forwards. I also tried to jump between sections of the map and noticed that it wasn’t possible due to an invisible barrier, which also kinda sucks in an open world game. They could have easily just spread the land masses further apart and made sure jumping was not possible.

Anyway, those are very minor things. The game is great!

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I also tried to jump between sections of the map and noticed that it wasn’t possible due to an invisible barrier, which also kinda sucks in an open world game. They could have easily just spread the land masses further apart and made sure jumping was not possible.

More areas open up as you progress through the story. But yes, even when you beat the game and are returned to the open world there are some really bullshit kill barriers around. I hope there will be a mod to remove this shit on PC.

DragonNCM

Gun paly, man......gun play is on next level.
No meter what you pick from base you never have enough ammo & you always need to change weapons on the fly with fast thinking.
Also on legendary fast changing equipment and fast changing grenades is must.
Brilliant design !!!

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Brilliant design !!!

I agree. They could have went with "scroll wheel" that magically slows or stops time as you make your selection but I'm so glad they didn't. It's yet another skill gap. You need to learn button combos to efficiently change equipment and grenades on the fly. I think it's genius.

Vagswarm

Gun paly, man......gun play is on next level.
No meter what you pick from base you never have enough ammo & you always need to change weapons on the fly with fast thinking.
Brilliant design !!!
Indeed. It gives me Doom Eternal vibes in that regard. But obviously not as frantic, lol.

Vagswarm

I like how the bigger enemies call you out for taking cover when your health is low. Sometimes savagely. "I thought we were here to fight, not hide".

It's like "F this guy, he's going down", and makes it that much sweeter when you get the kill.

DragonNCM

Indeed. It gives me Doom Eternal vibes in that regard. But obviously not as frantic, lol.
Yeah agree here
Doom is daddy of all shooters hands down
I like how they make Halo faster in movement & combat.
Also every difficulty have own settings & different gameplay. Playing on each difficultly give's you feeling like you are playing new game.

JT14

Banned
I'm on Heroic. I've died a few times so I definitely have to take corners and take out targets from the outside in. Problem is that when I do die, the game puts me 15 seconds back (minimal penalty) so I never really feel big moments building up.

I know this is sacrilege but the last open world single player game I played was Ghost Recon Breakpoint and I found myself going prone and studying bases + patrols for > 2 minutes. I like the pre fight just as much as the fight itself. Right now, Halo Infinites pre fight isn't very interesting for me. I know most people dont really care about that kind of stuff though.
You're lying your ass off lol the fact you compare this to Ghost Recon Breakpoint id laughable. No way in hell you're playing on Heroic

Mohonky

Finished first play through on Heroic.

Liked it; all the bases etc done, had over half the audio recordings and maybe one or two more Spartan Cores to find, but did the majority of it.

Dunno why people hated inside the forerunner buildings, I enjoyed them; plus it was one of the few times my GTX970 wasn't dieing in the ass trying to run the game even on Low. @ 1080p 21:9

DragonNCM

There is so much potential to make game appealing after you finish it.
Like add now bounties, retake keeps, Dungeons with some new objectives, defense of FOB points(if you fail that FOB point is lost), new improved vehicle from bounty's(including banished) etc.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Finally firing this up today, PC. I am playing on ultra settings, 2560x1440. It runs at a smooth 75 FPS.

Thing is, it looks poor. Is there some kind of high res texture pack, or known graphical bug(s)? This just doesn't look right. The textures kind of look about on the level of something like Battlefield 4. The lighting looks unremarkable, again on the highest settings. I swear I am not trying to troll, but even inFAMOUS: Second Son with the PS5 patch looks better. There has to be something wrong on my end because this just doesn't look right.

Aside from that the gameplay is OK. I really need to get the hang of rapidly moving about. It kind of feels like perhaps I should switch to a controller.

Edit: The poor visuals seems to have just been an issue with the first zone / level. It seems fine now in the second level. Hmm.

Edit 2: Reducing my brightness greatly increased the overall visuals by a lot. Going from 0 to -18 is revelatory

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I mean "go full circle" on "feet" , I want to know the boundaries for just walking through the map

9n9px5wFNYpo4uUWmojDmP-970-80.jpg

J3nga

Played campaign for 5+ hours and don't know why people are comparing it to Far Cry, the game is quite linear and doesn't feel tedious if you choose not to grind outposts it's nothing like it and it's good, I'm enjoying the campaign, downsides for me are that some textures look very bad, performance sucks, strange checkpoints system. Overall technologically it's a lackluster but considering I got the game for "free" via gamepass it's a fair deal to me. Ratchet and Clank is way more technological but it was 60x more expensive at launch. If I had to grade it so far, it's a solid 8/10 for now.

DaGwaphics

Yeah. Actually i wanted to play on higher difficulty, but then decided to try normal. After 4 hours i already died more often than in Dead Rising 4, Just Cause 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man and Days Gone together. (all on normal).

I'm glad this wasn't just me. I did seem to get a bit better after playing for an hour or so, I'm definitely rusty at Halo.

DragonNCM

Finally firing this up today, PC. I am playing on ultra settings, 2560x1440. It runs at a smooth 75 FPS.

Thing is, it looks poor. Is there some kind of high res texture pack, or known graphical bug(s)? This just doesn't look right. The textures kind of look about on the level of something like Battlefield 4. The lighting looks unremarkable, again on the highest settings. I swear I am not trying to troll, but even inFAMOUS: Second Son with the PS5 patch looks better. There has to be something wrong on my end because this just doesn't look right.

Aside from that the gameplay is OK. I really need to get the hang of rapidly moving about. It kind of feels like perhaps I should switch to a controller.

Edit: The poor visuals seems to have just been an issue with the first zone / level. It seems fine now in the second level. Hmm.
Yeah controller gives you better reactions I think.
There is 2 many buttons to push on keyboard, can't execute all commands fast enough without loosing movement momentum thru environment.
Also controller mapping for equipment & granade's sucks. You can lose movement so need to move my right tumb to switch equipment.
Any one know if can be remapped on controller ?

The title is Halo INFINITE

The whole concept is this is the base client for years of Halo.
Nobody would be happier than me but maybe the 10 year comment was about multiplayer. It wouldn't be the first time we've had a scaled down bait and switch. Have they said anything about future sp content?

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
This game is more challenging than I expected, but rewarding when you reload after a death on a boss and school his ass. I actually fist pumped in celebration. Haven't done that in years playing a game lol

Also cannot stress enough how much reducing the lighting improved visuals on PC for me. Colors pop now, textures look a hundred times better, the enemies look better. I think maybe 343i should set -17 tp -20 as default. I know all monitors and hardware are different but I can't be the only one out there.

Mister Wolf

This game is more challenging than I expected, but rewarding when you reload after a death on a boss and school his ass. I actually fist pumped in celebration. Haven't done that in years playing a game lol

Also cannot stress enough how much reducing the lighting improved visuals on PC for me. Colors pop now, textures look a hundred times better, the enemies look better. I think maybe 343i should set -17 tp -20 as default. I know all monitors and hardware are different but I can't be the only one out there.

I noticed that too especially using HDR on PC. Have mine set to -10.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So how many times per hour does everyone accidentally flip their warthog or ghost? I've never played a game where your vehicle gets fucked up by every little detail in the geography.

(Still had way more fun playing last night. I'm only 200 Valor away from getting that Wasp)

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It's no wonder co-op was delayed. They probably had no clue how they were going to balance it, at least how the game is currently designed. Maybe it fit in better before Staten came aboard.

For one, are they just going to let all players share the Spartan Cores they find? Hm, fair enough, that's the least of their worries.
Because I imagine this game is going to be exceedingly easy once you have four players hovering above in the "Wasp" aircrafts. Even having 3-4 players with drop shields makes the game sound easy.

I just think they have their work cut out for them if they want the game to be challenging for two or more players, or even work in terms of progression.

How will they handle checkpoints? Can 2-4 players run off to opposite ends of the map and enable four huge firefights to happen at once? Can Xbox One handle that? Will it make sense in terms of progression? How many players do you need with you to trigger the main campaign levels?
So many questions.

On the bright side, all these questions may force them to really figure out something cool and innovate upon the base game.

Last edited:

Starfield

It's no wonder co-op was delayed. They probably had no clue how they were going to balance it, at least how the game is currently designed. Maybe it fit in better before Staten came aboard.

For one, are they just going to let all players share the Spartan Cores they find? Hm, fair enough, that's the least of their worries.
Because I imagine this game is going to be exceedingly once you have four players hovering above in the "Wasp" aircrafts. Even having 3-4 players with drop shields sounds easy.

I just think they have their work cut out for them if they want the game to be challenging for two or more players.

How will they handle checkpoints? Can 2-4 players run off to opposite ends of the map and enable four huge firefights to happen at once? Can Xbox One handle that? Will it make sense in terms of progression? How many players do you need with you to trigger the main campaign levels?
So many questions.

On the bright side, all these questions may force them to really figure out something cool and innovate upon the base game.
a good twist on it would be that your coop partners play as Marines and are incredibly weaker than Master Chief

SafeOrAlone

Banned
a good twist on it would be that your coop partners play as Marines and are incredibly weaker than Master Chief
I think that's a cool idea, but I also feel that if you're going to spend time in the game, you want to feel the progression in the same way you would in your own game world.

Hard to imagine how those two concepts would align.

Last edited:
Nobody would be happier than me but maybe the 10 year comment was about multiplayer. It wouldn't be the first time we've had a scaled down bait and switch. Have they said anything about future sp content?
No, I think it was rumored that the idea was to expand Halo Infinite single player with the spartans players make in the multiplayer.
Also recently MS registered trademark The Endless for Halo.

I full expand continuous DLC expansions for Halo Infinite similar to Destiny but without "vault". The world is just designed that way. You feel it when you play it.

Last edited:
So many questions.
Yeah, and not to mention that the co-op supposed to be local one right (online based it could be easier to achieve) but local co-op with the ability to travel independently? I could understand tethering or whatever it is called, but according to the rumors it in co-op we supposed to operate independently.

Top Bottom