• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite |OT| Campaign. Evolved.

I wonder how much Joseph Staten influenced the current campaign. If not that much, then it means that 343 finally nailed what Halo supposed to be.

Staten has made clear that the awesome game here was already present when he got there. What was added since he came on to get the team more time was stuff like the propaganda towers with full voice acting.

Chukhopops

It's no wonder co-op was delayed. They probably had no clue how they were going to balance it, at least how the game is currently designed. Maybe it fit in better before Staten came aboard.

For one, are they just going to let all players share the Spartan Cores they find? Hm, fair enough, that's the least of their worries.
Because I imagine this game is going to be exceedingly easy once you have four players hovering above in the "Wasp" aircrafts. Even having 3-4 players with drop shields makes the game sound easy.

I just think they have their work cut out for them if they want the game to be challenging for two or more players, or even work in terms of progression.

How will they handle checkpoints? Can 2-4 players run off to opposite ends of the map and enable four huge firefights to happen at once? Can Xbox One handle that? Will it make sense in terms of progression? How many players do you need with you to trigger the main campaign levels?
So many questions.

On the bright side, all these questions may force them to really figure out something cool and innovate upon the base game.
It was the same with previous Halo games, they become massively easier with coop. Halo 3 Legendary with 4 people was a blast but fairly easy. Same with games like Borderlands.

For the distance between players I guess there will be a warning when you get too far from each other and after x seconds you get teleported back to whoever is host.

Sephimoth

Mid to late game spoilers:

Just finished the massive slog of midgame missions through endless interior levels back to back, that ends in The Road. IMO felt too excessive, like it needed breaking up with some open world parts, or shortening

Last edited:

bargeparty

I'm not trying to start anything here, but I was looking at the achievements list on both Steam and PC Game Pass... why are the numbers so low? I have to assume the Game Pass stats are for both PC and Console players?

6% on Steam have beat Tremonius, 14% on Game Pass.... what? This is like the first thing you do and it's not optional.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
B0TqVsd.jpg

Ei8Oj0v.jpg

lol just finished the campaign and it's 3am. Waiting for the wife to come and tell me off.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I agree. They could have went with "scroll wheel" that magically slows or stops time as you make your selection but I'm so glad they didn't. It's yet another skill gap. You need to learn button combos to efficiently change equipment and grenades on the fly. I think it's genius.
I'm annoyed it's different than MP.

I'm not trying to start anything here, but I was looking at the achievements list on both Steam and PC Game Pass... why are the numbers so low? I have to assume the Game Pass stats are for both PC and Console players?

6% on Steam have beat Tremonius, 14% on Game Pass.... what? This is like the first thing you do and it's not optional.
Isn't it counting all the MP players as well? Campaign mode is dlc for MP.

clarky

Gold Member
Mid to late game spoilers:

Just finished the massive slog of midgame missions through endless interior levels back to back, that ends in The Road. IMO felt too excessive, like it needed breaking up with some open world parts, or shortening
I was relieved for some fresh air finally, all good levels but I agree could have done with breaking up a bit.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I just got a Series S and I’m really happy with the campaign so far. I kinda want to play Halos1-3 now tho.
You should! One and two’s campaigns
Show their age certainly and have problems, but are still a good time with a friend. 3’s campaign is easily the best of the bunch though, its so good. Reach is pretty good as well!

DragonNCM

I think single player co-op is not even needed but that is my opinion, idd balancing game around co-op will be very hard if I may say impossible.
On other hand they can make separate co-op like firefight, Maybe it is best to wait & balancing co-op with new DLC.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
First session done. It's not as open world as I figured it would be. The open world segments really feel like spaces between traditional single player, linear missions. With extras peppered about if the player cares to look for them.

won't be hyperbolic and say it's "tacked on" or anything, but one can definitely see how they're trying to build up a framework for more ambitious updates in the future. It feels very much like a foundation is being laid.

sainraja

I just reached the open world area and the game froze on me; for now I stopped there and will continue later. I hate the way some of the loading happens in the game (e.g. going up an elevator sequence then a quick loading screen and then back to the elevator to continue going up — I hope this isn't a common thing in the game.)

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I think this includes all the MP Infinite gamers as well, as the achievements are lumped together. Also, the more popular a game is, the more casuals are out there. Tons of people download/buy games and never finish them. It seems like with niche single player games, the story progress achievements always have a fairly high completion rate, compared to popular games. Like for Castlevania Advance Collection and Fatal Frame Maiden of Blackwater, I was surprised that almost none of the story achievements are Diamond, but I guess if you are buying games like that, you are more of a hardcore gamer.

As for Steam being lower than Gamepass, people buying games to add to a MASSIVE backlog seems like a serious addiction problem on Steam. The amount of games many people own on Steam is just insane. Steam has tons of people over indulging at the trough.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Very advanced on the campaign, i think ill finish it tonight or tomorrow.
I was in the “mm, this open world might endup being far cry shit” to be surprised how well it works. Now Id love more games to explore hybrid open/close worlds loke Halo.

Havoc2049

To me, as for the open world exploration part, it feels more like a Halo meets Oblivion/Skyrim vibe, especially with the far draw distance and all the mountains. Seeing a mountain peak or some structure in the distance and figuring out how to get there and see if there is anything cool there feels very much like Oblivion/Skyrim exploration.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
To me, as for the open world exploration part, it feels more like a Halo meets Oblivion/Skyrim vibe, especially with the far draw distance and all the mountains. Seeing a mountain peak or some structure in the distance and figuring out how to get there and see if there is anything cool there feels very much like Oblivion/Skyrim exploration.

Yep, this feels like if Skyrim had guns and aliens instead of dwemers and dragons, lol.

Not a complaint, the campaign and open world game play is extremely fun.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
One thing I’m not loving is the Pilot and his voice acting. Whiny and always at 110% with his voice high and cracking.

Next to Cheifs stoicism (👌🏻) not loving it

Yeah, the pilot is probably the only thing I dislike in this game. Such a whiny little bitch. STFU you coward :messenger_tears_of_joy:

adamsapple

Yeah, the pilot is probably the only thing I dislike in this game. Such a whiny little bitch. STFU you coward :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I can see what they were TRYING to do. Bring in some humanity and an outsiders perspective on Master Chief's actions.

But yeaaaaaaah ... his dialogue is nothing short of annoying.

The Weapon though, I didn't expect her to be so endearing, I thought she would be the more annoying character with her naivete towards everything, but she grew on me.

Jadsey

I really tried to like this game, but I don’t.

I put about 6 hours in so maybe the game changes later, but I find it really boring.

The first segment is the same old tired corridors of Halo, but I’d read that it opens up quickly so I stuck with it.

Then it opened up and I was pleasantly surprised. On first glance the open world looked amazing….very pretty.

However from what I can tell, that’s it. Lots of conifers and grass. Some tacked on outposts and stuff that don’t really seem to reward you with much.

It’s the most boring open world I’ve ever played.

I do like the grappling hook though!

I will caveat all this by saying I haven’t enjoyed a Halo game since Halo 2, so it really needed to be incredible to win me round. It isn’t.

I admire them for shaking up the formula though and I’m super pleased others are enjoying it so much.

Last edited:

mejin

I really tried to like this game, but I don’t.

I put about 6 hours in so maybe the game changes later, but I find it really boring.

The first segment is the same old tired corridors of Halo, but I’d read that it opens up quickly so I stuck with it.

Then it opened up and I was pleasantly surprised. On first glance the open world looked amazing….very pretty.

However from what I can tell, that’s it. Lots of conifers and grass. Some tacked on outposts and stuff that don’t really seem to reward you with much.

It’s the most boring open world I’ve ever played.

I do like the grappling hook though!

I will caveat all this by saying I haven’t enjoyed a Halo game since Halo 2, so it really needed to be incredible to win me round. It isn’t.

I admire them for shaking up the formula though and I’m super pleased others are enjoying it so much.

The world is empty. Probably cause it was designed for coop.

First Halo I've played since the first Halo. About an hour in and really enjoying it. Great FPS so far. Just getting to the open world so I hope it doesn't drop to much

Last edited:

Nyxir

I guess? You'd think these systems would be smart enough to differentiate.

But I guess that makes sense. Still, if you have all these people who've played the MP but are not playing the campaign that's not good.
Multiplayer is free to play. The campaign is not.

Freeman76

Huge Halo fan since the original on the old heffer of an OG xbox. This one is by far my favourite of all the series. After 4 and 5 I can't believe 343 have made this lol. Literally cant fault it, except for the fact its too fucking short. After all this dev time i was hoping for a RDR2 type epic. Even so, incredible game that ticks every box for me. 10/10 all day!!

Bragr

Banned
I am surprised at how much the grapplehook and those exploding containers add to the combat. The containers are very satisfying and powerful and there have been a few great moments where I lose my shields and I end up spotting a container and grab and lobb it behind me in desperation and blow everyone up. It's a cool addition, and the grapple hook helps with getting over troublesome terrain and getting away from enemies.

Both are great additions and flesh out the movement heavy combat of Halo.

adamsapple

Replaying the campaign with the Bandana skull (The one that gives you infinite ammo and removes all cooldown timers for powers) is a helluva fun experience.

Grappling your ass everywhere without any cooldown is just so much fun.

Nico_D

Ugh, honestly the Bassus boss fight is pretty bad design. Too fast, too strong. There's zero time to look for new - suitable - weapons. His leap and recharging shields are stupid.

Tells something of design if people feel need to cheese it by fooling the AI.

Been stuck in this for a while. I may have to drop the game, not feeling it after this. Which is a shame - it has been a great game this far.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Huge Halo fan since the original on the old heffer of an OG xbox. This one is by far my favourite of all the series. After 4 and 5 I can't believe 343 have made this lol. Literally cant fault it, except for the fact its too fucking short. After all this dev time i was hoping for a RDR2 type epic. Even so, incredible game that ticks every box for me. 10/10 all day!!
One hopes they will give it more SP content on top of MP additions, the settings is a good template for that and it looks like there is a lot on the cutting floor ready to be polished and added.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
One hopes they will give it more SP content on top of MP additions, the settings is a good template for that and it looks like there is a lot on the cutting floor ready to be polished and added.
Yeah, I agree that there is potentially already a tonne of content that just needs to be polished and released.

This is basically the GamePass effect. You get a nice and short base for "free" and then pay for (hopefully) more meaty or at the least, regular expansions.

Ogbert

Never underestimate how stupid and broken the U.S. patent system is...

Warner Bros Finally Patents Nemesis System After Several Attempts (gamerant.com)
I certainly have no knowledge of US IP law, so happy to be educated. If it’s anything like the UK where, again, my knowledge is limited, getting a patent is reasonably easy. It’s defending it that’s the hard part.

I just can’t fathom how a company would be able to argue sole use claims on a video game mechanic, rather than a specific technology, visual design, name etc.

It’s like patenting double jumps.

Last edited:
I certainly have no knowledge of US IP law, so happy to be educated. If it’s anything like the UK where, again, my knowledge is limited, getting a patent is reasonably easy. It’s defending it that’s the hard part.

I just can’t fathom how a company would be able to argue sole use claims on a video game mechanic, rather than a specific technology, visual design, name etc.

It’s like patenting double jumps.
Yes, it’s as stupid as patenting double jumps. Someone probably has tbf.

The way the U.S. works, in my cynical opinion, the intent is to try and force a settlement because the infringer is reluctant to pay the endless lawyer fees. So it’s opportunistic. Not just in patent cases, most civil litigation. Source: I’ve been involved in two settlements totalling over $10m over the last three months. Both cases were weak af, but were just paid out to avoid the litigation costs and the uncertainty of the possibility of getting a crazy decision (which would be appealed, making more money for the lawyers).

Moving from the UK to the US is a real eye opener - the court system here is beyond nonsensical.

Top Bottom