• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite |OT| Campaign. Evolved.

J3nga

Finished it, shooting is fun and interesting which is by far are the best aspects of the game. The rest aspects are really mediocre or even bad e.g. writing at times. Problem with the plot that it's not friendly to newcomers(doesn't even have story recap before you start the game and for some reason story continues from Halo Wars 2 which is strategy game. WTF?). For Halo fans I also don't see how the story can be satisfiable, you wait 6 years for a new Halo game to get an abrupt ending.

Last edited:

the_master

I love the audio logs. The audio logs tell a great story of the events leading up the point of where Atriox launches the MC into space at the begining of Infinite.
Maybe, but I don't want to walk back and forth to find them. I don't have time for such low quality fun, I will start a new campaign instead.

In the end, the open world was not needed. I would prefer more story missions with massive areas and epic battles. Some optional paths on each mission would have been perfect (like is on the Silent Cartographer there where a couple other ruins, some stranded marines on a hill, etc...
But focus on the fun.

TVexperto

this has to be one of the worst optimized pc games ever. I have a 3080 ti and i7 8700k and I can't even get 30fps on 4k. every other game runs flawlessly 50-60fps in 4k. I reinstalled Nvidia drivers etc. is this a known issue in general or (I guess) it has to be something on my end that is wrong

other than that the game is a lot of fun except the first hour which felt like playing a game from 2005

Sony

Nintendo
Oh my, I'm having such a blast with this game. I have to say, based on the previews and reviews, I though the one biome would bore me quickly. But I just keep on grappling my way though the environment for collectibles. This is the first time in any game ever that I find myself listening to audio logs. My thoughts so sar (playing on legendary):
+ Sense of scale and exploration is off the charts. Amazing. The vistas, the forza horizon style 'you can go to the point on the horizon your looking at' is really impressive. Grappling up a cliff at nighttime and seeing a Banished cruiser hovering over your head between the stars is just chilling, in a good way.
+ Banished dialogue and propaganda towers, they're really fun
+ Skirmishers
+ I'm surprised to say this, but: graphics. I'm playing on Series X, quality mode. This game is so pleasing to the eye, I'm surprised I like it so much. Due to the open levels and far horizons, I'm in awe regularly.
+ Legendary difficulty hits the right spot: easier than in the previous Halo's in terms of single enemy ferocity, but on the other hand I do find myself scavenging for the right weapons for the right encounter. The bossfights are challenging and make you think of the right strategy every time after you die.
+ The outdoor environnments are vast and the indoor environments are stellar. I think I broke my Xbox account with how may screenshots I took.
+/-The thruster is not really a thruster, it's more a 'displacer'. It doesn't have any momentum. For example, jumping after a thrust is the same as without a thurst. Using thruster feels like someone is pickup you up, moving you, and putting you down.

I'm with ManaByte ManaByte on this one. I'm doing as much as possible to avoid the story missions because I don't want this ride to end. I hope 343 can keep it up with regular singleplayer content updates.

Last edited:
Finished it, shooting is fun and interesting which is by far are the best aspects of the game. The rest aspects are really mediocre or even bad e.g. writing at times. Problem with the plot that it's not friendly to newcomers(doesn't even have story recap before you start the game and for some reason story continues from Halo Wars 2 which is strategy game. WTF?). For Halo fans I also don't see how the story can be satisfiable, you wait 6 years for a new Halo game to get an abrupt ending.
I have issues with the story myself, but more so because there are things I wanted to see happen that didn't. Campaign Spoilers Ahead! Another gripe I have with the story thus far is that the whole game is hinting at Cortana possibly being alive and building up the mystery of what is being hidden in the ring. By the end of the game all we get is the same information that we already knew and that the Harbinger already gave us. Oh and just kidding Cortana really is dead. As a big Halo fan I think it's a shame Cortana is gone. That's my own opinion though. I do think it's clear that the next dlc will be a desert biome based on Infinite's ending.

But I think 343 had to just obliterate everything that happened in Halo 5. So many people hated 5 so it's not surprising that they brush over a lot from it. Halo Infinite is going to have additional content added, which is why I think it feels like the story is slow right now. There is more to be told, which shouldn't be spoiled with the very first installment. Halo Infinite is by no means finished. It's just getting started.

I do agree with you on not having some kind of a recap for people new to Halo. Though if people who have never played Halo like what they have see and play they should just get the Master Chief Collection and go through all the Halo games lol.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Slight spoiler/rant
Wtf is up with the brute chieftain in the last fight?! There is shitty weapons all over he is near impossible with everything else coming at you

Last edited:

RGB'D

It's probaly the way you said everything. You just sound whiny.

like this sounds whiny AF,

"But the face animation
The story is 😂 that bad guy (WAAAH I AM MAD)
The plot is just 😐damn the so called missions.
Walk to point to get item to open gate.

3 dots on map activate to walk to other point.
How in the fuck is this game rated highly?

this shit is amateur hour."
Or that his post history is full of many comments about green rats, hating on halo and propping up Driveclub... is it any wonder?

Last edited:

Jemm

I’m getting my shit kicked in by the two Spartan Hunters right after the AA canons (on Heroic), it seems nothing works against them: sniping, mid range, close range, stealing the shitbike, etc.

How do you handle that?
I found a Ghost near the other cannon (top-right, if I recall correctly). With it it was quite easy to destroy the other Spartan Hunter and the lower-level enemies. I couldn't kill the other Hunter with it, but once I got the shields off and about half of the health, I finished the fight with a BR and some coils he happened to be near. On Heroic, too.

OT: Once I tried to drive over a Grunt with a Ghost and he yelled: "Don't try to Ghost me!"

TwinB242

Im not much of a Halo fan but i've always enjoyed blasting through the campaigns of the previous ones. Unfortunately I can't say the same for this one, I found it be completely mediocre all the way through. The open world adds nothing of value to the experience and instead takes it away from it. The spectacle, massive battles, and set pieces that I typically expect from Halo are practically non existent here. Story goes nowhere and straight up feels unfinished, or like a small part of a bigger game. The villains are just completely laughable in their cliches and saturday morning cartoon quality dialogue. I could go on and on, the whole experience just left me feeling empty inside.

Quickly grapple away from them/ leave them behind.

I blew them off one time then got in a fight a bit over my head against one of the targeted Banished and was probably about to lose. Two of the four that had been following me somehow made it to me despite there being a mountain between us and managed to help a lot with the fight, eventually turning the fight in my favor as they were both carrying Arkane Sentinel Beams. Towards the end of the fight the remaining two had also caught up and just wrecked what was left as I had turned my full attention on the target. Turns out those marines can jump about 20 feet in the air and jump down from retarded heights. Then they get stuck at a two foot ledges...

About half way through a second run and yep this is easy my GOTY.

Simply fantastic. Although I can see why some people are cold on it, but it just hits all the right notes for me personally. More please.

This works and the story to me thus far has been really fantastic in its execution. The story isn't only told with cutscenes, but visually from the game's environments. This game has some of the very best environmental storytelling I've ever experienced. The art is just continually fantastic and conveys . Especially love when they use enemies, weapons, and various other means of set dressing using items from the sandbox to paint or decorate a scene permanently. Those are those scenes where you can't ever move or knock enemies out of their poses because it's meant to stay that way for visual storytelling purposes. It's really effective in selling what's been going down since Chief has been away.

Outposts and logs are another excellent tool. They're consistently properly themed in line with the larger story that's being told, and the various optional objectives are well placed to ensure you get all kinds of fantastic looks at the game world.

Im not much of a Halo fan but i've always enjoyed blasting through the campaigns of the previous ones. Unfortunately I can't say the same for this one, I found it be completely mediocre all the way through. The open world adds nothing of value to the experience and instead takes it away from it. The spectacle, massive battles, and set pieces that I typically expect from Halo are practically non existent here. Story goes nowhere and straight up feels unfinished, or like a small part of a bigger game. The villains are just completely laughable in their cliches and saturday morning cartoon quality dialogue. I could go on and on, the whole experience just left me feeling empty inside.

There is outpost after outpost crawling with enemies and very big battles. You have optional marine rescues that are better than many of the very best large encounters in past Halo games in their staging, same for high value targets. Remember the very last mission in Halo Reach? You've got fights like that all across the open world section, not just from the main story path, but the optional objectives across Zeta Halo, but it's lacking in big battles? Right...

Even crossing a bridge from one island to the next, like the first time you did it in campaign, ended up being a pretty sizable encounter with enemy reinforcements. The first island you get to after Outpost Tremonius, there is a marine squad way to the edge of the map, I think called Starlight Squad; That encounter was fucking fantastic, a nice large battle with both allies and enemies, plus heavy duty reinforcements that get triggered once you progress far enough in. Another nice one is Pronto Squad.

You've got main story missions that overwhelm with the amount of force they bring your way, but somehow you're saying it's lacking set piece fights? Come on bro.

I don't buy that anybody legitimately "not being a Halo fan" could enjoy blasting through the campaigns of the previous games, but somehow not enjoy it in this game when damn near everything about the gameplay and sandbox are significantly better, not a minor improvement by any means. The storytelling is also some of the franchise's best, particularly where characters and the dynamics between them are concerned. Big story events are superbly well handled.

It's why when I read some of these my suspicion alarm tends to go off on not just being another console wars fodder post. The most stand out negative posts in this thread have also all been from, conveniently, neo members. Even that comment about the game's enemies. Have you played past Halo titles? If so, you would know enemies have always had a certain element about them. That said, Escharum has been definitely one of the most interesting villains for me, as well as Spartan Killer Jega. The Harbinger is also top of the pack levels of badass based on my limited exposure of her thus far.

Alex11

Big Halo fan and I agree with all you have said,what saved it for me was the gameplay,which again for me,is the best in a Halo game.Shame for the story,I thought it would make some sort of sense at the end.Not for me,and I don`t want to read any novels or play those strategy Halo games,so i guess I`ll never fully understand it.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Once you unlock the Wasp from your FOBs:
Ripping Nba Finals GIF by Milwaukee Bucks
Yeah, except give him some machine gun fem-bot tits. Once I unlocked Wasp, all the challenge was drained. I think there should be more air resistance. Even if you get overwhelmed in the air, you can likely hop out of your vehicle and jack a new one with the grapple.

Pilgrimzero

Cortana and Chief resolution

I've been following Chief and Cortana's odd relationship since the beginning. A whole star crossed lovers thing that can never work because ones human and the other is a self aware AI/hologram.

I recall in H3 when Chief goes through a living hellscape to get back his digital girlfriend and in H4, even though she's broken and dying he does whatever he can to try to heal her.

And then real tragedy when she "dies" but comes back as Skynet with plans to rule the galaxy and woe to anyone who gets in her way...

So what does 343 do once they realize H5 had massive issues? Well, that's all taken care of off screen. In fact Chief FAILS to finally save Cortana after she becomes a genocidal maniac. She even kills herself after realizing how far down the hole she's fallen.

And thats the end of Cortana after 20 years. Chiefs would-be GF and she goes nuts, kills whole cities and planets and then kills herself. Can't give props to 343 for that storybook ending.

How i thought it was going to go (boy was I off) that Weapon really would be Cortana just hiding. Or Cortana was hiding in a computer system near the end of the game, maybe merge with Weapon? I dont know, point being shes alive. Also didnt think she'd kill a ton of marines etc but maybe the evil AI that was deleted was an evil shard of herself and the real Cortana is... somewhere.

And maybe with what looks like species templates (the tomb headstone looking things) he would maybe craft her a real body and it ends with him saving her and being truly alive... happy ending. He'd still have Weapon as his AI partner...

I really did enjoy the game. Great gameplay. I dont know how I can ever go back to old Halos without the grapple, LOL. I enjoyed 95% of the story. I just think 20 years of Chief+Cortana deserved a better payoff.

TwinB242

There is outpost after outpost crawling with enemies and very big battles. You have optional marine rescues that are better than many of the very best large encounters in past Halo games in their staging, same for high value targets. Remember the very last mission in Halo Reach? You've got fights like that all across the open world section, not just from the main story path, but the optional objectives across Zeta Halo, but it's lacking in big battles? Right...

Even crossing a bridge from one island to the next, like the first time you did it in campaign, ended up being a pretty sizable encounter with enemy reinforcements. The first island you get to after Outpost Tremonius, there is a marine squad way to the edge of the map, I think called Starlight Squad; That encounter was fucking fantastic, a nice large battle with both allies and enemies, plus heavy duty reinforcements that get triggered once you progress far enough in. Another nice one is Pronto Squad.

You've got main story missions that overwhelm with the amount of force they bring your way, but somehow you're saying it's lacking set piece fights? Come on bro.

I don't buy that anybody legitimately "not being a Halo fan" could enjoy blasting through the campaigns of the previous games, but somehow not enjoy it in this game when damn near everything about the gameplay and sandbox are significantly better, not a minor improvement by any means. The storytelling is also some of the franchise's best, particularly where characters and the dynamics between them are concerned. Big story events are superbly well handled.

It's why when I read some of these my suspicion alarm tends to go off on not just being another console wars fodder post. The most stand out negative posts in this thread have also all been from, conveniently, neo members. Even that comment about the game's enemies. Have you played past Halo titles? If so, you would know enemies have always had a certain element about them. That said, Escharum has been definitely one of the most interesting villains for me, as well as Spartan Killer Jega. The Harbinger is also top of the pack levels of badass based on my limited exposure of her thus far.

The smaller sandbox levels in the previous games were much more lively than the encounters scattered throughout the open world in Infinite. One of my favorite moments in the series were the Scarab battles in Halo 3. They gave you the illusion of being involved in a massive conflict especially since you have multiple ships in the background fighting it out along with marines on the ground engaged in their own battles. Infinite has nothing like that. They couldn't even bother dressing up the skybox to show that there's a conflict going on in the world. Why is the sky empty most of the time? Even when there are ships in the background, why are they completely inanimate? Where is the fire from the ships as they target marines on the ground, or where is the fire from the marines firing back (would actually look very cool when it gets dark). Where are the Banished Drop pods dropping out of the sky to assist with the battles against the marines, surely they don't just decide to use those when Master Chief shows up? Even when you're traveling around the world you see remnants of battles like broken down vehicles or dead marines, they're overly clean like they were just generic assets that were dropped in and not touched up. There's no smoke emanating from destroyed vehicles even though they're clearly recent. The terrain around them is also in perfect condition with no burnt marks or small fires from the vegetation. There's so much stuff like this that adds up making it feel like there's a complete lack of atmosphere and life to the world. It honestly gives me the vibe of an early open world game from 15 years ago.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The smaller sandbox levels in the previous games were much more lively than the encounters scattered throughout the open world in Infinite. One of my favorite moments in the series were the Scarab battles in Halo 3. They gave you the illusion of being involved in a massive conflict especially since you have multiple ships in the background fighting it out along with marines on the ground engaged in their own battles. Infinite has nothing like that. They couldn't even bother dressing up the skybox to show that there's a conflict going on in the world. Why is the sky empty most of the time? Even when there are ships in the background, why are they completely inanimate? Where is the fire from the ships as they target marines on the ground, or where is the fire from the marines firing back (would actually look very cool when it gets dark). Where are the Banished Drop pods dropping out of the sky to assist with the battles against the marines, surely they don't just decide to use those when Master Chief shows up? Even when you're traveling around the world you see remnants of battles like broken down vehicles or dead marines, they're overly clean like they were just generic assets that were dropped in and not touched up. There's no smoke emanating from destroyed vehicles even though they're clearly recent. The terrain around them is also in perfect condition with no burnt marks or small fires from the vegetation. There's so much stuff like this that adds up making it feel like there's a complete lack of atmosphere and life to the world. It honestly gives me the vibe of an early open world game from 15 years ago.

Well here's a thought; why don't you go back to playing Battlefield 2042 which you defend like it's the greatest game ever and stop playing this "inferior" game and spreading your negativity in this thread since Halo Infinite clearly isn't up to Battlefield 2042 standards. :pie_roffles: :pie_roffles: :pie_roffles:

Codes 208

Cortana and Chief resolution

I've been following Chief and Cortana's odd relationship since the beginning. A whole star crossed lovers thing that can never work because ones human and the other is a self aware AI/hologram.

I recall in H3 when Chief goes through a living hellscape to get back his digital girlfriend and in H4, even though she's broken and dying he does whatever he can to try to heal her.

And then real tragedy when she "dies" but comes back as Skynet with plans to rule the galaxy and woe to anyone who gets in her way...

So what does 343 do once they realize H5 had massive issues? Well, that's all taken care of off screen. In fact Chief FAILS to finally save Cortana after she becomes a genocidal maniac. She even kills herself after realizing how far down the hole she's fallen.

And thats the end of Cortana after 20 years. Chiefs would-be GF and she goes nuts, kills whole cities and planets and then kills herself. Can't give props to 343 for that storybook ending.

How i thought it was going to go (boy was I off) that Weapon really would be Cortana just hiding. Or Cortana was hiding in a computer system near the end of the game, maybe merge with Weapon? I dont know, point being shes alive. Also didnt think she'd kill a ton of marines etc but maybe the evil AI that was deleted was an evil shard of herself and the real Cortana is... somewhere.

And maybe with what looks like species templates (the tomb headstone looking things) he would maybe craft her a real body and it ends with him saving her and being truly alive... happy ending. He'd still have Weapon as his AI partner...

I really did enjoy the game. Great gameplay. I dont know how I can ever go back to old Halos without the grapple, LOL. I enjoyed 95% of the story. I just think 20 years of Chief+Cortana deserved a better payoff.
She shouldve stayed dead after halo 4. The payoff was she sacrificed herself to save chief in the end but 343i decided to completely screw over that ending and everything 4 set up by bringing her back. They wrote themselves into a corner because people were pissed they ruined a perfectly good ending in 4.

if you ask me, infinite fixed that by having cortana fail due to her new hubris and the game does still revolve around her final moments with all the flashbacks and data we see throughout. And the weapon exists not just to replace but succeed cortana as a copy of her (which btw was a very predictable outcome)

this was the best possible outcome to fix the mistakes halo 5 made

xrnzaaas

I should mention I'm not into Halo games and I haven't played any of their campaigns since Halo 3. I've used the Game Pass to check the new game. With that said...

For me this was a pretty weak campaign and I'm not even talking about the story, because I imagine I would enjoy it more if I watched some recaps from previous games. There's not enough of different stuff going on and it's mostly noticeable in the final levels. They're just a room after room after room of similar fights and reused enemies. Sure brute officers or hunters are interesting when you first encounter them, but it gets boring having to kill them for a 10th time to proceed. Or there are only two types of puzzles with using the scanner to find the connections and locating power seeds (also with the help of the scanner).
The open world bit was okayish, but I feel like it's also filled with repetetive content. Even taking out enemy strongholds feels roughly the same. I was pleasantly surprised with the difficulty level, it's very easy to die after losing your shields even if you're on normal.

Last edited:
Oh my, I'm having such a blast with this game. I have to say, based on the previews and reviews, I though the one biome would bore me quickly. But I just keep on grappling my way though the environment for collectibles. This is the first time in any game ever that I find myself listening to audio logs. My thoughts so sar (playing on legendary):
+ Sense of scale and exploration is off the charts. Amazing. The vistas, the forza horizon style 'you can go to the point on the horizon your looking at' is really impressive. Grappling up a cliff at nighttime and seeing a Banished cruiser hovering over your head between the stars is just chilling, in a good way.
+ Banished dialogue and propaganda towers, they're really fun
+ Skirmishers
+ I'm surprised to say this, but: graphics. I'm playing on Series X, quality mode. This game is so pleasing to the eye, I'm surprised I like it so much. Due to the open levels and far horizons, I'm in awe regularly.
+ Legendary difficulty hits the right spot: easier than in the previous Halo's in terms of single enemy ferocity, but on the other hand I do find myself scavenging for the right weapons for the right encounter. The bossfights are challenging and make you think of the right strategy every time after you die.
+ The outdoor environnments are vast and the indoor environments are stellar. I think I broke my Xbox account with how may screenshots I took.
+/-The thruster is not really a thruster, it's more a 'displacer'. It doesn't have any momentum. For example, jumping after a thrust is the same as without a thurst. Using thruster feels like someone is pickup you up, moving you, and putting you down.

I'm with ManaByte ManaByte on this one. I'm doing as much as possible to avoid the story missions because I don't want this ride to end. I hope 343 can keep it up with regular singleplayer content updates.

You sum up my thoughts almost perfect, especially on the graphics. It's very visually pleasing to the eye. The openness, draw distances and the environment design just makes it all work. Thanks to the design of the environments, the fact that PNW is the primary biome in the open world doesn't make take away from the visual appeal and variety of the game. Normally I don't care to visit every part of an open world, and I'm doing just that in this game.

She shouldve stayed dead after halo 4. The payoff was she sacrificed herself to save chief in the end but 343i decided to completely screw over that ending and everything 4 set up by bringing her back. They wrote themselves into a corner because people were pissed they ruined a perfectly good ending in 4.

if you ask me, infinite fixed that by having cortana fail due to her new hubris and the game does still revolve around her final moments with all the flashbacks and data we see throughout. And the weapon exists not just to replace but succeed cortana as a copy of her (which btw was a very predictable outcome)

this was the best possible outcome to fix the mistakes halo 5 made
I was scared shitless reading these spoilers, hopefully I didn't see something I didn't want to, but thank god it was safe. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Finished it and Im in the middle somewhere.

I think its a good open world but it lacks variety and it does hurt it for me.

The game play is there. Its Halo at its best but I felt like I had tapped the potential of the combat and randomness far before the game ended. Its still fun but the pacing vs amount to do feels off.

Story was there. It serves its purpose but it feels like a soft reboot rather than a continuation in many regards and like a lot of setup rather than delivery. I think itll get there but it felt like one act drawn out over 3.

I think it proves 343 can get the core game play down and its fun but it still doesn't hit that Halo 3 high for me. 343 have to improve their writing. They just arent good at it imo.

Solid 7/10 for me.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Wow the credits actually name the temps with the name of their temp agency after their name. I wonder if that’s a MS thing to prevent non-employees for claiming credit on a shipped game.

Top Bottom