• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite |OT| Campaign. Evolved.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
What are some of your favorite guns?

Aside from the BR and Shotgun(has always been my favorite combo in any Halo game) I like the shock rifle, Heatwave, VK47, Skewer.

I do like going around and doing all the points on the map, it feels Far Cry-ish, but I do agree with those who have said the lack of variety in the terrain is a little disappointing. I'd love a snow area or a little diversity there.

Also, something about the physics when running people over with vehicles doesn't seem right. There's no impact to it, it's like you're hitting a balloon almost.

Loving this, basically feels like the Halo 2 we never got. One thing, though, what's with the complete lack of variety in the environments? I guess it says something about the excellence of the gameplay loop that I've still put in over 15 hours into the game despite there being, like, one type of (outdoor) environment. Not even snow, wtf.

Edit: I guess I'm far from the only one who noticed this, lol

Oh, another thing. I'd be totally down with some DLC where you play a grunt squad leader fighting marines. Or flood. Or something.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I finally sat with the game for a moment on pc and got to the open world. 55fps 4k, ultra with 3080... It felt framepacy even inside with 70+fps

Anyway - The shooting feels good as old Halo games. The sound is still good. Master chief feels slow, grappling hook feel short :p
THE NEW CORTANA IS SMALL AND CUTE AS FUCK. I never got this impression from previous entries. She was nice and thicc in 4 but she is so cute now, I am melting.

Anyone else find that they have made the hunters really weak? Maybe it's because of where you fight them, but I've had zero issues with them even in close quarters and that's just not right.

Denton

So...this is the "night" in 2021's most big budget blockbuster game from the biggest wealthiest megacorporation on the planet when played on "ultra" preset on my PC

halolekeq.png

And this is 4 years old lowbudget czech game called Kingdom Come also on my PC

379430_2019082409084436kr4.png

379430_20190823202122yjj6e.png

What the hell happened? Kingdom Come looks positively next gen next to Infinite.
Halo wouldn't stand out among games from 2012.

And that is of course putting aside how one-note the environment in Halo is, and how simple its mechanics are compared to KCD.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
So...this is the "night" in 2021's most big budget blockbuster game from the biggest wealthiest megacorporation on the planet when played on "ultra" preset on my PC

halolekeq.png

What the hell happened? Kingdom Come looks positively next gen next to Infinite.

And that is of course putting aside how one-note the environment in Halo is, and how simple its mechanics are compared to KCD.
cant really compare the two. different art styles

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

halolekeq.png

One is using Voxel GI(CryEngine SVOGI raytraced lighting) on PC not present in the console version of the game, and the other hasn't had its raytracing features patched in yet. I wish Halo Infinite would have just been made with Unreal Engine.

This is what Halo Infinite looks like when you add Raytraced Screen Space Global Illumination to it through Reshade:

That's just minor raytracing compared to Voxel GI.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

halolekeq.png

Careful, you'll get banned.

BigLee74

halolekeq.png

Eh? One game looks like a Halo game, one doesn’t. It’s the art style of the game. And what fun would it be running around in pitch black half the time?

I personally think the graphics are pretty dam decent in Halo Infiiite. Sharp and detailed, with some great texture work and effects.

Not top of the class, but they don’t need to be with such stellar game play!

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
One is using Voxel GI(CryEngine SVOGI raytraced lighting) on PC not present in the console version of the game, and the other hasn't had its raytracing features patched in yet. I wish Halo Infinite would have just been made with Unreal Engine.

Yeah, that's them cranking the Screen Space Reflections that Pascal's reshade plugin provides up to the max. If I did want to bother with it I would just use the Screen Space GI.

Last edited:

This is what Halo Infinite looks like when you add Raytraced Screen Space Global Illumination to it through Reshade:

That's just minor raytracing compared to Voxel GI.
I'm very curious how Infinite will look when they drop their own Raytracing update.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I'm very curious how Infinite will look when they drop their own Raytracing update.

That's if they even bother to do raytraced lighting. Those AMD GPUs are not good at raytracing. I wish they would amaze us and give us full raytraced lighting like Metro Exodus but I doubt it.

That's if they even bother to do raytraced lighting. Those AMD GPUs are not good at raytracing. I wish they would amaze us and give us full raytraced lighting like Metro Exodus but I doubt it.
They did confirm raytracing for post launch already and again since the delay/release. To what extend remains to be seen. I wonder if it goes beyond lighting and reflections to audio or bullet pathing/registration etc.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
They did confirm raytracing for post launch already and again since the delay/release. To what extend remains to be seen. I wonder if it goes beyond lighting and reflections to audio or bullet pathing/registration etc.

The sad part is by the time they finally do add raytracing I'll have already beaten the game and moved on to something else.

It run at 70-80fps in open area at ultra at 4K with my 3090….with raytracing and without DLSS it’s going to run like shit.
It's an interesting one, did they know they're going with raytracing early on or is it now being retroactively fitted so to speak? Given they're always on about a 10 year run for Slipspace engine/Infinite it leaves one wondering why the hell wasn't raytracing available at launch? This points to latter being true that raytracing is an afterthought rather then a forethought early in planning/development. So I agree it's going to need some real optimisation and tricks to be 4K/60fps. Ideally the competitors to DLSS deliver in that Infinite raytracing update window too.

YukiOnna

halolekeq.png

Have you looked up? I want my sexy starry sky boxes that feel like I'm in space. Not boring night of the 300th medieval game.

YukiOnna

After all these years, the warthog still drives like shit. I hate the say the thing controls and I hate that it feels like a giant inflated balloon instead of a multi ton off-road beast
Mongoose should have wings at this point because it can't stick to the road.

halolekeq.png

Halo Infinite looks a lot better than that game. Many scenes and locations in the game look much better than the shot you posted, and overall it isn't even close. But I mean, whatever.

Jemm

halolekeq.png

The Zeta Halo is a ring, that doesn't block the star (or whatever light sources there are near that halo ring) as well as Earth blocks the Sun during nights. We don't know how the ring rotates in relation to the light sources, either. Maybe there never is as dark as in those games you showed. However, in underground areas the lightning seems to work just fine, from what I have seen...

Plantoid

My final thoughts

8.5/10

Good combat, not much to say here, shooting feels good and it's what kept me going, superb audio, you can hear everything around you with a headset, better yet in a good pair of audio monitors, story is kinda good although the villain is generic

Another good thing is the grapple

Now the bad, graphics are worse than gears 5, no snow?? The map is all the same biome

Has no variety outside the same bunch of 5? Different enemies, the weapons have low ammo so you always have to switch, vehicles are overpowered

Emedan

halolekeq.png

I love me some KCD believe me, it's gorgeous and one of my all time favourite games but come on - A Halo ring is not a planet it's a ring, planet like night time might not be what they were going for since it doesn't really make sense. I even remember a marine from like Halo CE mentioning something about it "How does days even work on here"

There is outpost after outpost crawling with enemies and very big battles. You have optional marine rescues that are better than many of the very best large encounters in past Halo games in their staging, same for high value targets. Remember the very last mission in Halo Reach? You've got fights like that all across the open world section, not just from the main story path, but the optional objectives across Zeta Halo, but it's lacking in big battles? Right...

Even crossing a bridge from one island to the next, like the first time you did it in campaign, ended up being a pretty sizable encounter with enemy reinforcements. The first island you get to after Outpost Tremonius, there is a marine squad way to the edge of the map, I think called Starlight Squad; That encounter was fucking fantastic, a nice large battle with both allies and enemies, plus heavy duty reinforcements that get triggered once you progress far enough in. Another nice one is Pronto Squad.

You've got main story missions that overwhelm with the amount of force they bring your way, but somehow you're saying it's lacking set piece fights? Come on bro.

I don't buy that anybody legitimately "not being a Halo fan" could enjoy blasting through the campaigns of the previous games, but somehow not enjoy it in this game when damn near everything about the gameplay and sandbox are significantly better, not a minor improvement by any means. The storytelling is also some of the franchise's best, particularly where characters and the dynamics between them are concerned. Big story events are superbly well handled.

It's why when I read some of these my suspicion alarm tends to go off on not just being another console wars fodder post. The most stand out negative posts in this thread have also all been from, conveniently, neo members. Even that comment about the game's enemies. Have you played past Halo titles? If so, you would know enemies have always had a certain element about them. That said, Escharum has been definitely one of the most interesting villains for me, as well as Spartan Killer Jega. The Harbinger is also top of the pack levels of badass based on my limited exposure of her thus far.
You are too defensive about this game. Like, you respond to almost everyone who has a negative opinion about the game. Just chill out man. Halo is a long-running franchise that has many fans who want many different things in a Halo game. I love the open-world Halo setting of Infinite but I can legitimately see why previous Halo fans would not vibe with it.

GymWolf

Gold Member
What are your favourite 2 weapons that you always keep with you if you have the chance?

I personally try to keep with me that energy granade launcher who does the red flame on the ground if you keep pressing the trigger and one between the br or covenant carbine, they kinda cover all the ranges.

The impalator if i can find one for when there are a couple of armoured brutes\elites.

Sword over hammer if we talk melee.

halolekeq.png

You mean night on earth looks different than on an interplanetary ring within a different solar system? I'll let you think about that for a bit.

Sony

Nintendo
What are some of your favorite guns?

Aside from the BR and Shotgun(has always been my favorite combo in any Halo game) I like the shock rifle, Heatwave, VK47, Skewer.

I do like going around and doing all the points on the map, it feels Far Cry-ish, but I do agree with those who have said the lack of variety in the terrain is a little disappointing. I'd love a snow area or a little diversity there.

Also, something about the physics when running people over with vehicles doesn't seem right. There's no impact to it, it's like you're hitting a balloon almost.

On legendary, I found the commando, BR, mangler, shock rifle and stalker rifle to have the biggest utility.
Especially the commando. I'm using the commando as a single shot rifle and it's deadly with headshots.
Brute: 3 headshots dead and the lower class enemies with 1 headshot.
From the power weapons (skewer/rockets/hydra) I like the hydra most by far, as it's ammo capacity is good and the damage is very good against strong targers.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
The addition of the grapple, especially fully upgraded, is possibly my GOAT gameplay addition to a franchise. It’s so fucking fun to Spider-Man sling on cliff sides, then stun/slam enemies, then grab a power coil to throw (which itself is very satisfying).

And I don’t normally meticulously work my way through side content in open world games until there’s nothing left but the main story, ain’t nobody got time for that…but here I am because all the side content is goddamn fun

G-DannY

BR is the best weapon overall

this is why it's so uncommon to find it around

Literally, Commando/bulldog are just in all banished racks...

Jemm

The addition of the grapple, especially fully upgraded, is possibly my GOAT gameplay addition to a franchise. It’s so fucking fun to Spider-Man sling on cliff sides, then stun/slam enemies, then grab a power coil to throw (which itself is very satisfying).
This. Also, I was recently in a tough spot and running out of ammo. Luckily there was another weapon within the reach of the grapple, so I could obtain it from the cover.

Why so low?
You literally beat it on the hardest difficulty and did all of the side stuff, yet you still wouldn’t give it an A?
1.5 points away from calling it almost perfect is "low"?.....its also my own little tradition to run through Halo games on Legendary for my first playthrough..I love Halo Campaigns(Way more than the multiplayer though the multiplayer for Infinite is awesome). I'm a bit of a completion freak - I've called games a '5 or 6/7 and I still got the plat/all the achievements lol, im a bit of an achievement/plat nerd alright lol. My main issues for the game however were two areas:

Difficulty seems to have been eased up with the introduction of the open world format. For example, and not spoiling anything here since the games out and it's something you can see in some of the trailers/i'll still cover it up however...But being able to spawn whatever weapons you want AND the vehicles you want just made this one way too easy..I found myself literally creating loadouts to increase the difficulty at parts...I mean on the old games you would pray for a rocket launcher or vehicle...On this one after getting your valor up you can literally go to an FOB and get some power weapons plus a Scorpion tank whenever you want. The game should be challenging because its challenging - not because I'm running through it and saying to myself "Let me pick a few weak weapons and walk to the next mission so its a challenge"..this happened a bunch in the last like 30-35% of the game/while collecting for me before heading into the final story missions. And with this games history the interiors shouldn't feel so repetitive...towards the end of the game it felt like I was walking into copy/paste work with a few of the assets rearranged.

And 2 - some of the technical issues and the save system got to be too much of a chore. I played it about 75% on my PC/25% on my Series X and my PC has an 3090 + a 5950x + an loading it from an SSD and I'm playing on a nice widescreen monitor with a high refresh rate..The stutters, odd frame issues during reloads or anytime the chiefs hands appear on screen, clipping, and the crashes was a bit too much. I honestly didn't plan to play on my Series X at all since I like the high framerate and visual fidelity - but I booted it up on there and you can really tell the team spent a good bit more time on the Series X version(And I understand that as well). It flies on the Series X and feels great.

Things I liked/loved...I absolutely fell in love with all of the voice acting and just the writing in general in this game. The enemies were hilarious at times, Chief has some damn good one liner comebacks that made me feel like we were about to tear some sh*t up, and I liked the enemies too because even though at times they were kind of over the top/corny, it felt like good corny sci fi..kind of funny, but still cool..Whomever the lady is that played the AI she did a damn good job too. I know others expressed disappointment(and at first i was part of the bunch) in the single biome/location but it grew on me...Once I learned more about the story and what was going on it felt more like the single biome made it more of an intimate experience with the place. The grappling hook has been used in other games before, but it's amazing here, they did a good job of fitting it into what Halo offers combat wise..You gradually get better at using it, especially on the harder difficulties and when you really start to get it down the game opens up so much. You can literally hit the wall with it at the right angle propelling you through the air, snipe an enemy thats aiming at you and run out of ammo - land shoot it and grab a replacement weapon and take out the next enemy, hit the next wall/kill the next enemy and before landing? Grapple to the jeep you drove up in and drive off...It sounds crazy but you can do stuff like that lol. I think people need to play it just to try it out, its dope.

But in short...The most important thing about the game is it's fun, like really fun. So my post up above wasn't negative, if you check the date I'd finally beat it and was feeling myself :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
After all these years, the warthog still drives like shit. I hate the say the thing controls and I hate that it feels like a giant inflated balloon instead of a multi ton off-road beast
Yeah, that's my biggest complaint. They really botched the vehicles.

ManaByte

Gold Member
And I don’t normally meticulously work my way through side content in open world games until there’s nothing left but the main story, ain’t nobody got time for that…but here I am because all the side content is goddamn fun

Like I said earlier, the bunkers were a lot of fun because each was different. Like mini-levels almost. Not copy and pasted Far Cry POIs at all.

G-DannY

Like I said earlier, the bunkers were a lot of fun because each was different. Like mini-levels almost. Not copy and pasted Far Cry POIs at all.

One of the funniest moments for me was at a FOB... Heroic playthrough, I approach this base slowly, I don't see ANYONE around. No marines, no enemies. Nothing.

So I proceed around, I confirm no enemies. I'm a bit "what the fuck? whatever..." I go up the FOB and grab the audiolog. I proceed listening it watching the beautiful sunset on the ring, lighting up a cigarette.

BLAM!!!! A stealthed elite backstab me making me jumpscare on my chair and start to trow jokes and bully words at my dead body...

There were 2 of them, completely still and stealthed, they just waited to make the move.

From that point forward in the game, everytime I encountered a suspiciously empty or quiet room/situation, always spammed a couple of motions sensors around....

That was awesome, with Dolby Atmos Headphones on.

Last edited:

Helghan

Anyone else find that they have made the hunters really weak? Maybe it's because of where you fight them, but I've had zero issues with them even in close quarters and that's just not right.
Yeah, even on legendary they aren't that hard. But have you tried the red hunters? They are very difficult, I don't think I can beat them on legendary, unless I would have a wasp

I finished the whole game without using the pistol because I thought it was just some basic gun. Turns out it's awesome, especially the yellow variant.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
One of the funniest moments for me was at a FOB... Heroic playthrough, I approach this base slowly, I don't see ANYONE around. No marines, no enemies. Nothing.

So I proceed around, I confirm no enemies. I'm a bit "what the fuck? whatever..." I go up the FOB and grab the audiolog. I proceed listening it watching the beautiful sunset on the ring, lighting up a cigarette.

BLAM!!!! A stealthed elite backstab me making me jumpscare on my chair and start to trow jokes and bully words at my dead body...

There were 2 of them, completely still and stealthed, they just waited to make the move.

From that point forward in the game, everytime I encountered a suspiciously empty or quiet room/situation, always spammed a couple of motions sensors around....

That was awesome, with Dolby Atmos Headphones on.

And that's why I threat sensor every 5 meters when playing on Legendary. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I did a dead space plasma cutter type thing with the mangler. Was the only gun I used 80 percent of the time. Solid range, increased melee damage, amd ammo everywhere from killing Brutes. Only really used something else when I aas fighting sentinels then I used the sentinel beam.

I played on Heroic

rofif

Banned
The gamepass pc app is trash. I played fine yesterday. Today I can't even start.
I can click update all I want. Nothing happens lol
ZPUSYUN.png

Top Bottom