• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite |OT| Campaign. Evolved.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
GOTY. No debate. This is it.
bnljG0b.jpg

Vagswarm

I don't know about you guys, but this game is making me excited for FPS and Open World games again. Now I want to see what Doom, Half Life and Metroid would be like in an open world setting done right with their own unique flavor. It also makes me wish Ubisoft would stop being lazy and put more effort into their worlds. lol

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I’m getting my shit kicked in by the two Spartan Hunters right after the AA canons (on Heroic), it seems nothing works against them: sniping, mid range, close range, stealing the shitbike, etc.

How do you handle that?

Bar81

They've done a poor job with explaining the story. This is a continuation of Halo Wars 2.

They also fill in some of the gaps (Atriox's attack on the Infinity) through the audio logs. His death is confusing but it's explained later in the game
It's still a mess. The events immediately preceding Halo Infinite won't be explained until a book released in June. The last part of the story there is is Chief going to get the new AI (and in the book they don't even say it outright, only that's he's getting something to stop Cortana but it was obvious that it was Cortana 2.0).

I've been less than impressed with the narrative since the end of Halo 4. Cortana going bad was just WHAT?!? It made no sense and was a horrible end for her - which is probably why they just killed her off as it was unsalvageable. Now Atriox doesn't kill Chief, but pulls an Austin Powers/Bond type move where he assumes he's dead without actually killing him. Horrible.

I'm also not a fan of a new big bad being introduced right after another. It would be nice if 343 could develop a coherent narrative where there just one bad group for a few games like in Halo 1-3 so we don't have to figure out each game why we care about swapping power crystals to make the elevator/door work (the Forerunners apparently had a shortage of batteries and needed to keep swapping them from place to place).

Having said all that, in terms of the game, WOW - the open world works so well and the grappling hook - it's CE but way better. The bosses on the other hand, UGH - not sure why we need a boss fight every couple of hours.

Ultimately 343 needs some new writers but they seem to finally understand Halo gameplay.

Bar81

I’m getting my shit kicked in by the two Spartan Hunters right after the AA canons (on Heroic), it seems nothing works against them: sniping, mid range, close range, stealing the shitbike, etc.

How do you handle that?
I'm right there, fought them a few times and had to stop for real life - they're super annoying.

I read a guide which said there's a rocket launcher on top of the ship that's across from the one on the broken bridge (btw in between the top of the ships is a Spartan core) and you use that to destroy his shields and then take him out. Then you take his weapon and just rain down fire from above on the bike guy to kill him.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.

How do you handle that?
I died so many times in this section (heroic).

What finally worked for me:
- Steal a warthog and lead the shitbike one far away from the tower guy.
- Steal the shitbike to and kill the guy with shit bike
- for the tower guy I found heavy weapons around the crashed ships and then used fully upgraded Drop shields to safely shoot at him.

I also got a Skyrim vibe from it. The indoors missions in the forerunners structures were like caves.
I also get a slight Skyrim vibe from time to time. Maybe it's the mountains. Or the way music is tied to certain areas and time of day.
Sometimes I just stand and gawk at the scenery. This game can look quite stunning.

mansoor1980

any news from 343i regarding patches for PC version? performance leaves a lot to be desired and i locked the game on my desktop at 30fps with a mix of ultra and high settings

Vagswarm

Can't wait to complete it, just taking my sweet time to take it all in.
Same here. There's so many awesome battles and environments outside of the main quest. Can guarantee I wouldn't be enjoying it nearly as much if I just did the story. Or stuck to any kind of path.

You can literally grapple and climb to anywhere. And it's so smooth. Plus the recordings aren't found on the main map even after unlocking the FOBs.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I've finished all the FOBs, distress calls, bunkers, and upgraded all gadgets. Just have the high value targets to mop up.

I really liked the bunkers. Each one was different with a different objective and challenge. They weren't copy and pasted objectives like trolls who aren't really playing the game are trying to pretend they are.

The one with the shuttle in the South of the map was a lot of fun because I rolled in with a Warthog with a rocket marine in the passenger seat.

the_master

17.5 hours.
Full campaign (started in normal and switched to heroic starting the open world area)
All fobs
All enemy bases
All spartan cores
All cosmetics but one (can't find it and it feels like a super drag)
All fob upgrades
Do not care about logs, I am not payed to play this game.

Good Halo game, should still be a bit better.

Vagswarm

Non-story spoilers

Found 3 different pairs of hunters so far. The standard Halo hunters, the crazy red ones with relentless attacks in the top left portion of the map, and now another one of them (also red, but with cannons) is paired as an elite mob! The Cindershot works on them even when they are facing you, and there is one stashed in the area.

I found that if you dig around, there's usually some powerful weapons in most areas like these.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

How do you handle that?

I'm only playing on heroic but I thought this was one of the easiest boss fights so far once I figured out an easy strategy to kill them

I killed each one of them with the gun on the back of 2 warthogs tou can find in the battle area. I took out chopper guy first , with a warthog I found in the water. I just kept shooting him until he died. Took a couple of tries because he would kill me before I killed him :pie_roffles: After I killed that one I moved away from the immediate battle area and waited until I got a check point so when I died trying to kill tower guy I didn't have to kill the chopper guy again.

Then I went inside one of the crashed ships and there is another warthog inside. Took out the banished in the immediate area with it and when tower guy comes over, I did the same as chopper guy - shot him in the face until he was dead.

Screw you, dead Spartan Killers!

Skull spoiler - I ran into a pair of red hunters in the most random area. I had been exploring a huge crack in a mountain that resulted in a narrow pathway. I'm convinced there is still something there that I couldn't find, but at the end of the path it comes out into an open space with 2 hunters wandering around. I thought it was so random and then found a skull in the open area, presumably why the hunters are there. So have skulls always shown up on the tac map? The only reason I found this one, the Catch skull, is becuase it showed up on the tac map. It's the area west of outpost tremonius.

Just finished playing through. Had a blast the entire time save for a couple issues.

Pros:

- This game plays really well. The grapple shot is handled really well. Auto-snapping the reticle to the closest attach point like in Just Causewould have been nice, but that can always be added later down the series. For their first shot at it they did a great job and I had a ton of fun flinging myself around the map.

- This game looks great, anyone who is pretending otherwise can stuff it. The frame pacing and other hiccups I'll cover in cons, but in the end I ran all the way through the game with max settings and it all looked just great to me. Not the best looking game I've played but It looks good.

- The sound in the game is amazing, bananas, bonkers. Everything has a solid punch to it and the pop you hear when you kill something accompanied by the red X really lets me know "next target" better than anything else I've played. Just great.

- The music is Halo music. Heavy drums, chorus, orchestra, all of it was great. Good work with the tracks kicking in when I needed them and going away when I didn't.

- The big battles and fights were almost all great. Huge area to fight in, running around like an idiot flinging myself about while trying not to get splattered was almost all great.

Cons:

- Only one location. No I'm not complaining about the single biome. Halo as a series is known for taking you to a lot of places throughout the game, sometimes outside the known galaxy. Being on one ring, and only one small area of one ring is a big change. Even the original game, though limited to the ring, had you flying all over the ring's surface for each new mission. For a Halo franchise this game was small in scope despite being massive in scale.

- PC performance. It's just shit. I ran this at 72fps, which is 1/2 my monitor's refresh rate. On day one I had Freesync Premium running and was getting between 100-120fps. Without making any changes this got worse throughout the first day. Even going back to areas I know I was getting a solid 120fps I was now seeing anywhere from 80-120. Locking the game to 72fps was a compromise I made that I shouldn't have had to.

- The entire last area of the game.

The entire last section of the game was a huge contrast to the rest of the game. Trapped in tight rooms with nothing to grapple to made the fights less fun. The room with the two red Hunters was frustrating as it was a tiny room with nothing in it, no second floor, no real overhead nooks to escape to. I found the entire end area was just me spamming the dash cloak ability to get in cheap shots before dash cloaking away. It got a little boring.

I looked at the map before I went into the second pillar. There was this massive landmass over to the east with a giant tower, a big area with a lake and a bunch more mountains and floating islands to explore that I hadn't been to yet. To my dismay the only accessible part of it is the trench you charge down in the center with nothing but a few drop-pod fights immediately off to the side. Maybe they'll do something with the area later on, who knows. It almost felt like they'd meant for you to explore the area but ran out of time.

The last few boss fights were mediocre in contrast to the previous ones. The Blademaster is only a juiced up Elite and attacks like one. Toss a threat detector, wait for him to run at you and melee him just as he's about to attack, rinse, repeat. Escharum was tedious. Shoot him a million times, shot the exposed core, shoot him a million times, shoot the exposed core, shoot him a million times, shoot the exposed core, shoot him a million times, shoot the exposed core, finally once he pulls out the hammer shoot him in the face with a bazooka while you throw all the grenades. The end. The final boss was a non-event, kill adds, melee boss, kill adds, melee boss, kill adds, melee boss, kill adds, melee boss. The End.

The story really goes nowhere at the end. Cortana is dead again, she redeemed herself, yawn. Finding out Atriox died like an idiot was a bit annoying considering he was built-up as a pretty smart warrior in Halo Wars 2. To find out he died with his dick in his hand to a Cortana finger snap? Boo. EDIT: He's not dead. I forgot nobody in 343 Halo is allowed to die unless it's off-screen. Guess Cortana left a teleporter running by accident when she created an explosion big enough to break apart a piece of the ring. Boo.

Overall it's a solid 8, maybe 8.5. I wanted to give it a 7 after the last section but even it had some interesting moments. The training ground rooms in the tower were interesting and the hard charge to the final tower while limited in direction were still old-Halo fun. It's definitely a great launching platform for new additions to the game in the future and I hope they work on ironing out performance issues. I do hope the series returns to larger scope adventures in the future but this was a very fun game and I'm glad I played it.

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

Beat it.

Last boss fight was hella annoying. And I’m not happy with how a certain character ended up.

Really not happy with how the Chief/Cortana plot over 6 games pans out.

Over all a great game, though.

Last edited:

Unity2012

I'm 34 hours in and haven't finished the campaign yet :messenger_tears_of_joy:

..But of course it's my own "fault" for enjoying the game to the point that I'm out in the sandbox fucking about having fun instead of focusing on the story.

This is the way 😁👍

After the Spire mission; I've been, just having ridiculous fun around Zeta Halo. I waited a long time for this game. I have no desire to rush. 😅

Havoc2049

17.5 hours.
Full campaign (started in normal and switched to heroic starting the open world area)
All fobs
All enemy bases
All spartan cores
All cosmetics but one (can't find it and it feels like a super drag)
All fob upgrades
Do not care about logs, I am not payed to play this game.

Good Halo game, should still be a bit better.
I love the audio logs. The audio logs tell a great story of the events leading up the point of where Atriox launches the MC into space at the begining of Infinite.

Sakura

Just finished playing through. Had a blast the entire time save for a couple issues.

Pros:

- This game plays really well. The grapple shot is handled really well. Auto-snapping the reticle to the closest attach point like in Just Causewould have been nice, but that can always be added later down the series. For their first shot at it they did a great job and I had a ton of fun flinging myself around the map.

- This game looks great, anyone who is pretending otherwise can stuff it. The frame pacing and other hiccups I'll cover in cons, but in the end I ran all the way through the game with max settings and it all looked just great to me. Not the best looking game I've played but It looks good.

- The sound in the game is amazing, bananas, bonkers. Everything has a solid punch to it and the pop you hear when you kill something accompanied by the red X really lets me know "next target" better than anything else I've played. Just great.

- The music is Halo music. Heavy drums, chorus, orchestra, all of it was great. Good work with the tracks kicking in when I needed them and going away when I didn't.

- The big battles and fights were almost all great. Huge area to fight in, running around like an idiot flinging myself about while trying not to get splattered was almost all great.

Cons:

- Only one location. No I'm not complaining about the single biome. Halo as a series is known for taking you to a lot of places throughout the game, sometimes outside the known galaxy. Being on one ring, and only one small area of one ring is a big change. Even the original game, though limited to the ring, had you flying all over the ring's surface for each new mission. For a Halo franchise this game was small in scope despite being massive in scale.

- PC performance. It's just shit. I ran this at 72fps, which is 1/2 my monitor's refresh rate. On day one I had Freesync Premium running and was getting between 100-120fps. Without making any changes this got worse throughout the first day. Even going back to areas I know I was getting a solid 120fps I was now seeing anywhere from 80-120. Locking the game to 72fps was a compromise I made that I shouldn't have had to.

The entire last section of the game was a huge contrast to the rest of the game. Trapped in tight rooms with nothing to grapple to made the fights less fun. The room with the two red Hunters was frustrating as it was a tiny room with nothing in it, no second floor, no real overhead nooks to escape to. I found the entire end area was just me spamming the dash cloak ability to get in cheap shots before dash cloaking away. It got a little boring.

I looked at the map before I went into the second pillar. There was this massive landmass over to the east with a giant tower, a big area with a lake and a bunch more mountains and floating islands to explore that I hadn't been to yet. To my dismay the only accessible part of it is the trench you charge down in the center with nothing but a few drop-pod fights immediately off to the side. Maybe they'll do something with the area later on, who knows. It almost felt like they'd meant for you to explore the area but ran out of time.

The last few boss fights were mediocre in contrast to the previous ones. The Blademaster is only a juiced up Elite and attacks like one. Toss a threat detector, wait for him to run at you and melee him just as he's about to attack, rinse, repeat. Escharum was tedious. Shoot him a million times, shot the exposed core, shoot him a million times, shoot the exposed core, shoot him a million times, shoot the exposed core, shoot him a million times, shoot the exposed core, finally once he pulls out the hammer shoot him in the face with a bazooka while you throw all the grenades. The end. The final boss was a non-event, kill adds, melee boss, kill adds, melee boss, kill adds, melee boss, kill adds, melee boss. The End.

The story really goes nowhere at the end. Cortana is dead again, she redeemed herself, yawn. Finding out Atriox died like an idiot was a bit annoying considering he was built-up as a pretty smart warrior in Halo Wars 2. To find out he died with his dick in his hand to a Cortana finger snap? Boo.

Overall it's a solid 8, maybe 8.5. I wanted to give it a 7 after the last section but even it had some interesting moments. The training ground rooms in the tower were interesting and the hard charge to the final tower while limited in direction were still old-Halo fun. It's definitely a great launching platform for new additions to the game in the future and I hope they work on ironing out performance issues. I do hope the series returns to larger scope adventures in the future but this was a very fun game and I'm glad I played it.
Atriox isn't dead. Did you watch the post credits scene?

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.

Pros:

Cons:

The story really goes nowhere at the end. Cortana is dead again, she redeemed herself, yawn. Finding out Atriox died like an idiot was a bit annoying considering he was built-up as a pretty smart warrior in Halo Wars 2. To find out he died with his dick in his hand to a Cortana finger snap? Boo.

Basically sums up how I feel about the game.

I usually roll my eyes at the "this game is gonna last 10 years" thing but they've really got a good foundation to build on here. And most importantly gunplay is fantastic and feels like old school Halo. I hope we get lots of singleplayer content over the years.

Top Bottom