• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Good lord.

I come back from a four-day trip to Vegas with the wife (5-year anniversary, woohoo!) to Invasion information, multiplayer goodness, jet-pack assassinations, bearded avatars, and now a podcast?! This has been an awesome last few days. Lots to catch up on, and my work will suffer for it.

squidhands said:
Good lord.

I come back from a four-day trip to Vegas with the wife (5-year anniversary, woohoo!) to Invasion information, multiplayer goodness, jet-pack assassinations, bearded avatars, and now a podcast?! This has been an awesome last few days. Lots to catch up on, and my work will suffer for it.

squidhands

Just use your other 6 arms

dslgunstar said:
Anybody using the flag-cap avatar?
I haven't seen anyone using it. I think metareferential's using the armour lock one though. Go for it.

I was considering wearing it but switched to my current instead.

Kapura said:
:lol

Major Williams said:
Still trying to grapple my head on how the lockdown perk is balanced... can't wait to see how it pans out
People can zoom in on you while you are in lock-down mode. When it goes out, headshot.

Chinner said:
started playing halo 3 mp again. its fun, just wish btb was more objective with less slayer and SANDTRAP.
Amen.

metareferential said:
How is that so?

There's a huge difference in philosophy from equipments to abilities, but how is that less cool than the bubble shield? Not just aesthetically, I mean.

I guess it is a good way of translating the bubble shield into a one-man feature. The only difference is you can't protect anyone else.
With the bubble shield, once you deployed it, you could do other stuff, like melee people who come into it. Armour Lock is something that occupies your abilities, you can't shoot, etc while in Armour Lock.

Great podcast. The Derek basically has my dream job, writing code and architecting gametypes. I really, really hope we get a taste of this tool set.

Timmins piece was cool too. After playing mw2 last night I appreciate the n etcode efforts even more. Info on spawning logic was especially interesting, hopefully its a solid change.

That reminds me I need to get my BiL to shut down his torrents for may...

InvincibleAgent said:
With the bubble shield, once you deployed it, you could do other stuff, like melee people who come into it. Armour Lock is something that occupies your abilities, you can't shoot, etc while in Armour Lock.

I know, but only if they're inside the bubble.

With the armor lock you're blocked and can't shoot, but you can't get run over by a vehicle, for example.

You give away something but yet you gain something else (like emp burst, that affects everyone, enemy and team mates altogether).

Different strategies, different awesomeness.

Brainboy

Wizman23 said:
I wonder if loadouts are going to be in the campaign. One thing I hated about Halo 3 co op was playing as an Elite and spawning with their weapon set. I'm wondering if we get to chose weapons and armor abilities each time we die in campaign like we do in MP.

Well, everyone in co-op is going to be playing as their Noble 6, so I think you can safely assume you won't spawn with a Covenant weapon set.

Unless of course Bungie pull another Halo 2 on us...

JaggedSac

Just got around to listening to the podcast. Holy poop the networking stuff sounds to be incredibly tuned now. The system sounds incredibly robust, especially the part about there being a record about a host's previous networking performance going into host selection.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
electricpirate said:
Great podcast. The Derek basically has my dream job, writing code and architecting gametypes. I really, really hope we get a taste of this tool set.

Timmins piece was cool too. After playing mw2 last night I appreciate the n etcode efforts even more. Info on spawning logic was especially interesting, hopefully its a solid change.

Taste? I expect the toolset to be rolled out as part of Forge 2.0. It only seems that natural that the extension of map editing is game-type editing. It wouldn't surprise if part of Bungie's final Halo send off is to let players modify/create their own maps along with appropriate game-types.

Chinner

Banned
metareferential said:
Then you'll probably love Invasion.
Invasion probably will be my new home. i'd class my self as a btb veteran, and although it's been fun, it's basically been a rotting corpse ever since bungie gimped in in Halo 2. However, Invasion definitely seems like the Obama of Halo Reach. I just hope its 8 v 8 and not 6 v 6 when H:R is finally released.

chess

Being an old school Halo CE fanboy, I've been anxious for the beta to see how the game plays. So far everything seems to be pulling the good from all the other Halo games. Of course, I've still worried anxiously waiting to find out for myself. I must say though, after Urk's answer to my "end of the day still crave to play" question and finding out Derek used to work for Fasa(more importantly on Shadowrun), my worries on game play are next to none. Only 2 weeks to see if Reach resurrects my gaming desire!

Gui_PT said:
Do you guys usually have lag related problems during matches?

I always pick "Good Connection" so I only have lag problems half the time :lol

Problem is that it takes forever to get a match started
I only very rarely have obviously laggy games, where everyone's connections are yellow or red and players are warping around or disappearing, and usually when that happens it's a problem my end, or is something everyone is experiencing.

That said, I would estimate 70-95% of my games suffer from Transatlantic latency. Bungie can't help this, I appreciate. There is a price to be paid for networking across an ocean, and it seems to be a minimum of 100ms tacked onto your ping. And while it infuriates the fuck out of me that Xbox Live games only show bars and not actual ping numbers, I imagine it's a Microsoft directive.

Basically, the experience is that every single thing I do in most games of Halo is between one-eighth and one-fifth of a second off the pace of what's "actually" happening. Every BR duel. Every beatdown attempt. Every sniper shot. Everything. It's hard to appreciate just how consistently enraging this can be until you've played a game of Grifball like this, and the hammer just won't work.

(Part of the reason I went on extended binges of both Left 4 Dead games is because I can play it on dedicated servers with UK & Ireland-based friends and that feels awesome.)

But really, there's not much Bungie can do about the realities of intercontinental networking, other than handing out host more "fairly". But since Americans in general have better connections than we do in the UK and Ireland, and because the computers talking to those connections to find out how good they are are likely based in Seattle... Americans get host far, far more often. And, you know, there are more American Halo players in general.

If the new system is better at understanding location and bundling Eurozone players together, that can only be an improvement.

electricpirate said:

He is Bungie's version of Tarantino, without question. :lol Loved his part of the podcast.

What I probably should have tacked onto my post, in the spirit of the F&F-begging culture EazyB loves to hate, is that it's nice Bungie are appreciative of how the playing field slants uphill the further you get from Seattle, and even nicer that they are looking at ways of addressing it even partially.

LunaticPuma said:
Taste? I expect the toolset to be rolled out as part of Forge 2.0. It only seems that natural that the extension of map editing is game-type editing. It wouldn't surprise if part of Bungie's final Halo send off is to let players modify/create their own maps along with appropriate game-types.
True, when I say taste though, I want that full scrpting language in my grubby little hands. I guess I want a BIG taste. I just don't see bungie letting me plug in a keyboard and start going to town on creating ultimate Frisbee in Halo.

DualX

BladedExpert said:
I think Frankie mentioned it in a Weekly Update once. I'd love it too actually.
Fourth.

There's several games that I would love to have a screensaver from. I'm surprised nothing like this exists. =/

Cetra

May be old news but I'm just now seeing it. Halo 3 is up on Games on Demand for Xbox Live. I thought Halo 3 had tons of problems running from the hard drive, is the GoD version different in that regard?

squidhands said:
He is Bungie's version of Tarantino, without question. :lol Loved his part of the podcast.
Correct me if I'm wrong GAF, but wasn't Timmins in the Halo 3 Vidoc where they showed off the SaveFilms feature? And when seen in the VidDoc he was bearded back then, right?

That beard was awesome. I'd like to see it in a Reach VidDoc.

Kinda off topic but does anyone know what the fuck the thing about Bungie suing hiphopgamer is about? Sounds like some stupid stuff made up on gamespot or something. :lol

AwesomeSyrup said:
Kinda off topic but does anyone know what the fuck the thing about Bungie suing hiphopgamer is about? Sounds like some stupid stuff made up on gamespot or something. :lol

Wait what?

I tried to google it but just found forums full of one word answers or text speak, I know I rush my posts a lot, but thats just too going too far. So yeah whats the full story behind this, from what ive gathered he said something about the Halo graphics? :lol

bobs99 ... said:
Wait what?

I tried to google it but just found forums full of one word answers or text speak, I know I rush my posts a lot, but thats just too going too far. So yeah whats the full story behind this, from what ive gathered he said something about the Halo graphics? :lol
Guy said something false about bungie and reach, specifically putting words in bungies mouth.

Luke, or someone pretending to be him posted that he would Sue for it if it was up to him. He then admits that it isn't up to him and says Bungie wont.

N4g goes crazy.

Schmitty

electricpirate said:
Guy said something false about bungie and reach, specifically putting words in bungies mouth.

Luke, or someone pretending to be him posted that he would Sue for it if it was up to him. He then admits that it isn't up to him and says Bungie wont.

N4g goes crazy.
I can't believe people still visit N4G. It was a good idea in the beginning and then it went to the shitter

electricpirate said:

N4g goes crazy.

Thanks!

I found Lukes 'response' - its pretty stupid to say he admits he cant sue, he was using it as a insult rather than a threat. Its like me saying:

"You really get on my nerves and I would kill you if there were no reprocussions."

and then people going crazy about the fact I cant kill. Typical journalism all round. :lol

Schmitty said:
I can't believe people still visit N4G. It was a good idea in the beginning and then it went to the shitter

When it is a slow day (like today) in gaming news, you can always find an interesting or funny story to make your day.

GhaleonEB

Geoff9920 said:
Minor nitpick in case it's spelled that way in your OP, but it's Ordnance, not Ordinance. Two different things. :)

Anyway, can't wait for the new impressions coming tomorrow! :D
....oops. I've pinged m0dus to fix the typo I passed on to him. And thanks. I didn't even realize they were different words. :lol

Will we get new UI screens and details on the Theater, file sharing and b.net features tomorrow? Or is that stuff waiting until later?

big ander

Devin Olsen said:
Hmm... IIRC the EMP burst does not affect you.

I really do not think that you are left without shields after you use Armor Lock.
Oh, I thought you were. I could have sworn that was said in the podcast. Clarification, urk/sketch/shishka?

:lol :lol
Urk is the king of timing.

Lets just say that when Urk made the "That's what she said" quip during the chat with Dave my girlfriend and I both burst out laughing.
Timed to perfection.

Bungie needs to bring back the ability to save films after a match without having to go into theater mode, it was such a nice feature in the beta but was changed for whatever reason.

Gui_PT

Shake Appeal said:
That said, I would estimate 70-95% of my games suffer from Transatlantic latency.

Basically, the experience is that every single thing I do in most games of Halo is between one-eighth and one-fifth of a second off the pace of what's "actually" happening. Every BR duel. Every beatdown attempt. Every sniper shot. Everything. It's hard to appreciate just how consistently enraging this can be until you've played a game of Grifball like this, and the hammer just won't work.

But really, there's not much Bungie can do about the realities of intercontinental networking, other than handing out host more "fairly".

If the new system is better at understanding location and bundling Eurozone players together, that can only be an improvement.

Agree with everything you said, but especially these things I quoted.

Griffball is, most of the times, impossible to play.

And even if you don't notice, you're at an disadvantage every time you enter a duel, especially with a BR(which to me is the most annoying thing in matchmaking)

As you said, it's not bungie's fault but if they could get a way to make this more fair, it would be wonderful

Blueblur1

Urk,

Is there a deadline for podcast jingle submissions (besides the 29th)? My friends and I are working on something and I'd like to know.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Blueblur1 said:
Urk,

Is there a deadline for podcast jingle submissions (besides the 29th)? My friends and I are working on something and I'd like to know.

If you're looking for codes you'd probably want to have them in before the undisclosed and impossible to guess F&F start date. If you just want to slap together a jingle, take your sweet time. Next cast isn't recorded yet.

GhaleonEB

haloreachjpg.jpg

http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_10340/Halo_Reach_is_Releasing_in_Standard_Limited_and_Legendary

Spotted via HBO. Nothing even close to official, but it does seem plausable.

II CETRA II said:
May be old news but I'm just now seeing it. Halo 3 is up on Games on Demand for Xbox Live. I thought Halo 3 had tons of problems running from the hard drive, is the GoD version different in that regard?
Not from anything I have read, so expect long multiplayer loading times if you play the GoD version.
Pappasman said:
It was moved to tommorrow.
How am I suppose to play afterburner climax, chaos rings on my ipod touch AND read about reach beta in one day? MADNESS I SAY!

I see Halo 3 is on Games On Demand, does that mean it's OK to install my disc version now or does the Games On Demand version work differently?

Edit: lol, should've looked up.

Top Bottom