• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

JaggedSac

II CETRA II said:
May be old news but I'm just now seeing it. Halo 3 is up on Games on Demand for Xbox Live. I thought Halo 3 had tons of problems running from the hard drive, is the GoD version different in that regard?

If you install it to a USB device it could be faster than disc, depending on the quality of your USB device.

Digital Foundry wrote an article about the USB thing and Halo 3 was brought up. They said it was faster most likely due to the caching not being done to and from the same device the game data was saved on.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-storage-update-the-flash-factor-article?page=3

GhaleonEB said:
haloreachjpg.jpg

http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_10340/Halo_Reach_is_Releasing_in_Standard_Limited_and_Legendary

Spotted via HBO. Nothing even close to official, but it does seem plausable.

Legendary edition cover looks like poo.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
electricpirate said:
Guy said something false about bungie and reach, specifically putting words in bungies mouth.

Luke, or someone pretending to be him posted that he would Sue for it if it was up to him. He then admits that it isn't up to him and says Bungie wont.

N4g goes crazy.

Yeah, that's not Luke. No news here.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Would be really cool if the Legendary edition came with a certificate letting you pick helmet style and colors for a wearable replica, you mark down what you want then send it in and they make it for you.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I actually missed the boat with the Halo 3 special editions and just bought the Vanilla version. I some what regret it because I really want to see the "Making of" video. If the Reach special edition is good, I'll jump all over it.

EazyB

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
I actually missed the boat with the Halo 3 special editions and just bought the Vanilla version. I some what regret it because I really want to see the "Making of" video. If the Reach special edition is good, I'll jump all over it.
Ugh, brings back the nightmare that was the limited edition's case. Game was so scratched to shit I couldn't even play it and spent 2 hours taking the bus to exchange it for a new one. I'm pretty sure Halo 3 was the last special edition game I've ever bought and I wouldn't be surprised if it were the last. Rather spend that extra Halo cash on Bungie Pro and rendering points (hint: include these in the special editions).

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Deadly Cyclone said:
Would be really cool if the Legendary edition came with a certificate letting you pick helmet style and colors for a wearable replica, you mark down what you want then send it in and they make it for you.

Would be cook but waaaaay too expensive. :lol

I am hoping for
a memorial for those lost on Reach.

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:

I have an extra set of the essential discs if you want them.

urk said:
If you're looking for codes you'd probably want to have them in before the undisclosed and impossible to guess F&F start date. If you just want to slap together a jingle, take your sweet time. Next cast isn't recorded yet.
Shweet. I'll take my time so. HaloGaf, any suggestions for a genre? I play keyboard but my bro plays guitar and I know a fantastic drummer :p I will muck up a few bits in the meantime but nothing final this side of the beta me thinks (exams T_T).

Popeck

Inflatable Jason Jones doll or a Sage beard would be an awesome replacement for the cat helmet. Maybe the Jones doll would say things like "I am the monument to all your sins" if you'd press it in the right places. Okay, maybe not. I would really pay for decent collector's edition like the Halo 3 Legendary Edition, but without crazy cat or dog helmets. The Legendary DVDs are all full of win. If you don't have it, you can watch the Halo 2 commentaries on YouTube.

Blueblur1

urk said:
If you're looking for codes you'd probably want to have them in before the undisclosed and impossible to guess F&F start date. If you just want to slap together a jingle, take your sweet time. Next cast isn't recorded yet.
Is original music preferrable? Are Halo tune remixes okay?

nilam01

Banned
sorry but i'll be skipping the Limited editions this time. I still remember the horrible boxin of the halo 3 disc. Almost all my friends who got that one had a cracked disc myself included.

nilam01 said:
sorry but i'll be skipping the Limited editions this time. I still remember the horrible boxin of the halo 3 disc. Almost all my friends who got that one had a cracked disc myself included.
*remembers Legendary Halo Wars box... smh*

Wizman23

Banned
Yeah I'm going to pass on the cat helmet version if there is one. I remember when the cat helmet version was announced Frankie made it seem like it was super rare and a privledge to own one though his BWU's. 3 years after launch you can still find them in bargain bins at Best Buys everywhere!

MrDaravon

Popeck said:
Inflatable Jason Jones doll or a Sage beard would be an awesome replacement for the cat helmet. Maybe the Jones doll would say things like "I am the monument to all your sins" if you'd press it in the right places. Okay, maybe not. I would really pay for decent collector's edition like the Halo 3 Legendary Edition, but without crazy cat or dog helmets. The Legendary DVDs are all full of win. If you don't have it, you can watch the Halo 2 commentaries on YouTube.

:lol :lol :lol

Also agreed; the Legendary DVD's are fucking awesome, and the helmet is bullshit. Would have gladly paid $99 for a version that had the discs without the helmet, which has sat in a closet for years now.

I just go with the regular edition. This will be the 3rd time at walmart that I've stood in line waiting for midnight to come around.

Blueblur1, your avatar is so creepy, but it makes me laugh every time I watch it.

DualX

Not a Jellyfish said:
I am hoping for
a memorial for those lost on Reach.
There already is one, it's called
Hang'em High. Each pyramid shaped object on the ground floor represents a Spartan that is "M.I.A."

After listening to the latest (awesome) podcast, I've got a question. They mention Team Headhunter, but I thought I heard the guys (or maybe it was just urk) mention previously that only the FFA version was to be in the beta. Anyone have clarification on this? Being a relatively crappy player, FFA-type playlists aren't really my thing. I do much better in a team setting playing more defensively.

If the Reach Legendary edition comes with an exclusive in game BR ill pay whatever they charge.

Believe

Theres an in game memorial on ODST for those fallen on Reach by the way.

SailorDaravon said:
:lol :lol :lol

Also agreed; the Legendary DVD's are fucking awesome, and the helmet is bullshit. Would have gladly paid $99 for a version that had the discs without the helmet, which has sat in a closet for years now.
Yeah, I didn't get that legendary because I have a life policy of turning down anything that will sit on a shelf and not get used. :lol

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
After listening to the latest (awesome) podcast, I've got a question. They mention Team Headhunter, but I thought I heard the guys (or maybe it was just urk) mention previously that only the FFA version was to be in the beta. Anyone have clarification on this? Being a relatively crappy player, FFA-type playlists aren't really my thing. I do much better in a team setting playing more defensively.
The weekly update said only FFA would be in the Beta, which is a bummer since I too will scarcely touch it there. It sounds like a fantastic team game. Hopefully I get a lot of time in Stockpile though, which sounds really fantastic.

WORKS FOR TEAMS OR FFA, BUT FOR BETA, YOU’LL BE GOING IT ALONE.
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU_041610

Wizman23 said:
Yeah I'm going to pass on the cat helmet version if there is one. I remember when the cat helmet version was announced Frankie made it seem like it was super rare and a privledge to own one though his BWU's. 3 years after launch you can still find them in bargain bins at Best Buys everywhere!

I think im with you on that. I really want the dvd's though. If there included with the Limited edition (middle version), then ill just stick with that. Im looking at my helmet right now.

Also, with the pre-order bonus craze going on now, who wants to bet that there will be one for Halo Reach. Halo CE armor permutations if you pre order at Amazon. :lol

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
DualX said:
There already is one, it's called
Hang'em High. Each pyramid shaped object on the ground floor represents a Spartan that is "M.I.A."

I know this. :lol
But I want something along the lines of an art book, dog tags, or something like that remembering the fallen. I am sure when the big ads for Reach start that is the approach they will take.

Wizman23

Banned
I wonder when the release day for Reach will be announced. Wasn't Halo 3 announced for September 25th 2007 the same day the beta launched? The sooner the better so I can let work know which week I will be taking off in (hopefully) September.

GhaleonEB said:
The weekly update said only FFA would be in the Beta, which is a bummer since I too will scarcely touch it there. It sounds like a fantastic team game. Hopefully I get a lot of time in Stockpile though, which sounds really fantastic.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU_041610
Thanks, man. Glad to know I'm not going senile on top of being too lazy to check for myself. :D

I'm sure I'll be trying all of what the beta has to offer, but I'll most likely be steering clear of the FFA options. Too much team goodness for me to get my mitts on.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:
I have an extra set of the essential discs if you want them.

For real? That'd be awesome! Thanks bro.

Also, I think I will be making an intro to the Bungie podcast. I don't know which route I want to take though. The funny route
Am I funny? We'll soon find out I guess lol
or the just cool music route. We'll see how it goes.

I listened to Froman's part of the podcast again. Really awesome stuff in that part. I love the idea where there are certain playlists that require a "fat pipe" to play in. My FiOs pipe is uber fat so I'm excited about that.
lolz pipez
Also the host follower. I knew that the Xbox already keeps record of how your host was and that having a new Xbox will likely pull you host in often in not just Halo. I'm happy that Bungie is taking it a step further this time. Xbox's are getting older and internet connections are getting better and it seems like Bungie is using this info more dynamically. I'm happy that if the game starts with a shitty host that it can change mid game if it finds a better one to attempt to salvage the game. Halo 2 and 3 did this but it is incredibly rare to see. Also, locale matching. I like that Halo Reach will make a better effort to match you with people who are closer to you I guess by just measuring ping. This should make for better matches for us in the US and probably in EU as well. I don't know what that means for the Aussies and New Zealanders down the road. All of these little changes make for a much better experience. I think that if Bungie is willing to open up in game voice chat to support a full team, it shows what they've done to the more important things on the networking side. I'm very excited to say the least.

Theres a really good GTTV analysis video here:

http://blog.tiedtheleader.com/article/886/

The TTL guys noticed a lot of stuff I havent seen mentioned before.

Out of interest can anyone fill me in on what was actually on the Halo 3 Legendary edition? What came on the interactive disk? Was it just like the Warthog Jump game and the TV calibration thing, or was there more?

GhaleonEB

electricpirate said:
Whoa, we get scored as a fireteam? That video shows individual fire teams taking the lead...
Looks like it's team based scoring - going by the classic score keeper on the lower right - but beneath that fire team tracking is also kept. I'm guessing there's multiple cR rewards for Invasion Slayer: extra cR for being on the winning team, and a separate set for being the winning fire team. That way, if even if you're on the losing team, the best fire team gets a reward.

At least, that's what I'd like to see.

After watching that video, I can finally finish writing up the Invasion description tonight. I can tweak it based on any news tomorrow morning right before posting the thread. Great analysis, he spotted tons of stuff I'd never picked up on, such as the time resetting to four minutes after the initial territory was captured, the Phantom being the core extraction mechanism, and how the weapon drops worked. Awesome.

Phase 1: unlock the Core
Phase 2: steal the Core
Phase 3: extract the Core to the Phantom

I presumed time was added on with each capture because that's how it works for similar gametypes in UT and TF2, but spotting that the Phantom picks the core up from that gantry was pretty badass.

Wizman23

Banned
I wonder if each Invasion map is going to come with a different set of objectives different then the 3 we have to do on Boneyard. I also wonder if some maps will be switched around to where it is the Spartans attacking and Elites defending.

Striker

Invasion sounds awesome, even as the Slayer variant.

Is the Grab Bag game-types going to be included in the beta also (CTF, Assault, etc.)?

But there's a lot of things in the matchmaking-networking side that we've done that will make the game more accessible and friendly to people outside North America, in terms of being able to match regionally, which in Europe was kind of a challenge with "Halo 3."
Love you, ManCannon.

RdN

bobs99 ... said:
Theres a really good GTTV analysis video here:

http://blog.tiedtheleader.com/article/886/

The TTL guys noticed a lot of stuff I havent seen mentioned before.

Out of interest can anyone fill me in on what was actually on the Halo 3 Legendary edition? What came on the interactive disk? Was it just like the Warthog Jump game and the TV calibration thing, or was there more?

Really good. Thanks for sharing.

Louis Wu said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvDta8m5y58

Another analysis by TTL Hoovaloov. Awesome piece of work.

Edit: beaten.
Very good analysis; it really provided good context to what we saw in the trailer. There's something I'm wondering about fire teams, though: When it says "Covenant A takes the lead!" I'm assuming it means that Team A has the most kills for the Elites, or has the most kills of any fire team. Am I reading into that correctly?

That tied the leader analysis was awesome - love the "Spawn on Teammate" feature! Really looking forward to this and the "Tiered" approach to slayer! Totally excited now!

My own wedding is getting in the way of my Halo enjoyment blargh. But I made a girl a promise...

feel

Thanks, I love those analysis vids, but waiting until youtube processes the HD version.

Plywood said:
I hope there is a difficulty above Legendary.
Mythic Balls of Steel
Yeah, and have achievements for completing each difficulty solo.

And about coop, I hope they do something about how forgiving it is. Iron Mythic is the only way I actually enjoy playing coop with friends, maybe Iron Legendary if it's just 2 of us, because coop becomes pathetically easy with these default fast respawns. Death should be punishing and something we really try to avoid, not just a sweet ammo refill and back into the action 5 seconds later.

Top Bottom