• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hamas terrorists infiltrated Israel. 1400+ killed, 2400+ wounded, 240+ abducted. Israel declares war

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Oof man this is bad. I wish we could just get rid of all the wars and violence.
Does this mean that the US is going to be giving tons of money to Israel like we've been doing to Ukraine?
Does this have any impact on the chances of a US recession?
Could this actually kick off WW3?

Wait... We've been giving Israel BILLIONS every year for decades! You think we haven't?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Totes, won't someone think of the poor Muslims.

F73o7lOWgAAcT80

Ok, so you hate Muslims. Because after 9/11 there actually WERE attacks on Muslims here ... Even on Sikhs because dumbass Americans see a turban and think "Moooslims!" ... Even though they had NOTHING to do with isis or isil or whatever they're calling themselves these days.

So yeah, that was something that actually happened! There's like 2 billion Muslims in the world. They aren't all sympathizers or terrorists.

zeldaring

Banned
I find the videos of the people celebrating to be fake, not because i don't believe people will celebrate but every Palestinian i talked too says were fucked, and they cant do shit and everything is blocked off and are scared of settlers coming back and getting revenge.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Only 2% of the Israeli population owns a firearm. Typically only allowed a handgun, can only possess a maximum of 50 rounds, per Google.

So the bad guys didn't have much to worry about when they rolled in to commit their atrocities.

Europeans never fail to tell me how afraid they are that Americans have so many guns, but the world isn't made of gumdrops and rainbows. Groups like ISIS and Hamas would love nothing more than to rape and murder everyone in the West, if only they had the power to do so. The modern world only continues to exist through a position of strength.
As if it would have changed anything if Israeli civilians had more weapons stored somewhere. Israeli Soldiers were overrun while on the shitter in their camps.

Something went wrong within the Israeli defense. They will adapt and it will serve the people better than any other measure. I’m sure Israel has rigorously thought about the most effective way to save themselves from all the surrounding people who want their extinction.

Jsisto

Eh. I really don’t want to argue with anyone….I completely understand why everyone is angry right now, I just hate to see that anger misdirected at an entire group of people when most are completely innocent. That’s going to unfortunately become more common in the coming days and I saw some of that here. It saddens me. I happen to work with a Palestinian girl and I distinctly remember her going home early one day in tears because some jackass customer said something hateful to her. She still works there and I’m sure it’s probably going to happen again. My mother is Jewish and she faced pretty terrible bullying when she was younger simply for being Jewish. We don’t have to pick a side if we’re not directly involved in a war, we can just be kind to and stand up for our neighbors. I know that’s preachy and corny, but I’m tired and sad, so I’m going to bed.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Eh. I really don’t want to argue with anyone….I completely understand why everyone is angry right now, I just hate to see that anger misdirected at an entire group of people when most are completely innocent. That’s going to unfortunately become more common in the coming days and I saw some of that here. It saddens me. I happen to work with a Palestinian girl and I distinctly remember her going home early one day in tears because some jackass customer said something hateful to her. She still works there and I’m sure it’s probably going to happen again. My mother is Jewish and she faced pretty terrible bullying when she was younger simply for being Jewish. We don’t have to pick a side if we’re not directly involved in a war, we can just be kind to and stand up for our neighbors. I know that’s preachy and corny, but I’m tired and sad, so I’m going to bed.
Beautiful post.

I have no love for religion, as an institution, lines like that aren't making me any more positive about it.
Don‘t let these lines, totally taken out of context, influence you. I‘m not relgious myself but took it on me to read the Bible once. It’s a huge book, especially the Old Testament. There is loooot of stuff in there. By taking a sentence and then judging it you are not much different than the one who takes that sentence and commits atrocities because of it. The religious texts are not that bad.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I've seen so many accounts on Twitter with the "I support Palestine" flag. All of them left wing. All of them clearly don't understand this attack came from the Hamas controlled Gaza Strip. A regime that is totally at odds with these people's left wing values. Do they even know that homosexuality is a crime in Gaza and punished with a long prison sentence?

It seems like people are just randomly taking sides in a conflict they know next to nothing about.

zeldaring

Banned
Don‘t let these lines, totally taken out of context, influence you. I‘m not relgious myself but took it on me to read the Bible once. It’s a huge book, especially the Old Testament. There is loooot of stuff in there. By taking a sentence and then judging it you are not much different than the one who takes that sentence and commits atrocities because of it. The religious texts are not that bad.
There is a lot of crazy things in those Scriptures that don't make sense. how about the one in the old testament where god says kill the woman and children and only spare the woman virgins so you can take them as your booty when they were at war. or the penalty for a cheating on spouse is death by stone.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29
If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Because you see from history (Versailles treaty) how economically punishing a group of people can cause resentment that leads to violence? I mean, you can go on with the current situation where every single one of your neighbours hates you, but that doesn’t seem like a good idea for the future.
This is a naive view thinking this is about economic future. They don't care. They want to kill Jews.

They get a shit ton of money from EU, US, Arab states, it all goes to themselves and terror.

There is a lot of crazy things in those Scriptures that don't make sense. how about the one in the old testament where god says kill the woman and children and only spare the woman virgins so you can take them as your booty when they were at war. or the penalty for a cheating on spouse is death by stone.

If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.
Again, taken out of context. Read the whole damn thing instead of going to Google and searching „questionable stuff in the Bible“.

Here you go buddy. Took literally less than a minute to find this.
That's mostly a list of threats and less then 5 deaths in 10 years. For the backlash against the mass murder of 3000 people in a nation of 300 million it's not that much.
Especially looking at the hundreds murdered in a few hours apparently in response to Jews entering a mosque and these attacks coming from a semi-nation of 2 million.

Is there something missing in this list? A violent religious extremist ideology?

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned

I'm just glad I don't have to concern myself with it any further than this post.
Non-religion is incorruptible, anyone who attempts to write a supreme nontheist text, or form a central governing body for it, will find themselves laughed at for failing to understand that the *absence* of religion is our most defining trait. (an atheist government who persecutes against religion, is also missing the point here. we owe no alligience to them either!)

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Ok, so you hate Muslims. Because after 9/11 there actually WERE attacks on Muslims here ... Even on Sikhs because dumbass Americans see a turban and think "Moooslims!" ... Even though they had NOTHING to do with isis or isil or whatever they're calling themselves these days.

So yeah, that was something that actually happened! There's like 2 billion Muslims in the world. They aren't all sympathizers or terrorists.
Kinda amazing that you read this post and came off thinking that I hate Muslims, instead of realizing what this is about. And that's the issue, this isn't about Muslims, this is about terror and Israel being the line of defense against it in the West which has succumed to immigrants who don't share its values and don't want to assimilate.

I Read the book and meh sound like man made stories.
I somewhat doubt it. The way I see it the Bible is an a book with an evolving story. Yes, some of those laws given are questionable, but they were clearly given to some tribe thousands of years ago and are no applicable today any more, especially, as the book goes one, the laws given evolve as well.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I somewhat doubt it. The way I see it the Bible is an a book with an evolving story. Yes, some of those laws given are questionable, but they were clearly given to some tribe thousands of years ago and are no applicable today any more, especially, as the book goes one, the laws given evolve as well.
The diff is that two religions have evolved from that line of thinking, and one is still at it.

zeldaring

Banned
I somewhat doubt it. The way I see it the Bible is an a book with an evolving story. Yes, some of those laws given are questionable, but they were clearly given to some tribe thousands of years ago and are no applicable today any more, especially, as the book goes one, the laws given evolved as well.
Why would god change his mind? you are assuming that these laws are not applicable today. when god is suppose to know the future, many things just don't line up. god also clearly wishes death to anyone that seeks to change the religion or claim it's false it's right there in the scriptures. why wouldn't god just come and say what the true religion or update his book since it's clearly a big deal to him enough where he tells his people to kill them.

Last edited:
I'm just glad I don't have to concern myself with it any further than this post.
Non-religion is incorruptible, anyone who attempts to write a supreme nontheist text, or form a central governing body for it, will find themselves laughed at for failing to understand that the *absence* of religion is our most defining trait. (an atheist government who persecutes against religion, is also missing the point here. we owe no alligience to them either!)
Well, maybe you should anyway because as much as non-theists like to believe, religion is the foundation of our society and it is a valid question if we would be where we are today without it.

Do we still need it today? Who knows. Will we digress back to barbarism in a few hunderet years if we ditch religion? Who knows. People rarely look much further than their own nose. Hardly anyone is asking these questions because of course it won’t affect THEM.

Last edited:
Can we not derail a thread about real world events with religious nonsense?

People are dying in all this. Nobody cares what chosen deity or magical book they subscribed to. They deserve to be mourned regardless.
The religious part is an important one. It helps explain why women are taken (as trophies, this is tradition in jihad ), why a music festival was attacked (music is haram, see also Bataclan), why no one was spared (again, playing by jihad rules, until the enemy submits there can be no mercy) and why Israel is hated by so many but also supported irrationally by others.

Looking at it in cold rational terms these things make no sense. Hamas has done a tiny bit of damage which will be inflicted on them a hundred times over. And unlike the Tet offensive brought up as a comparison, there is no large Arab army ready to finish the conquest.

Last edited:
Why would god change his mind? you are assuming that these laws are not applicable today. when god is suppose to know the future, many things just don't line up. god also clearly wishes death to anyone that seeks to change the religion or claim it's false it's right there in the scriptures. why wouldn't god just come and say what the true religion or update his book since it's clearly a big deal to him enough where he tells his people to kill them.
Look, I really don’t want to go too deep down that rabbit hole…. It’s just how I read the book. And that’s the beauty of it… No one has to tell you how to read it and what it means because no one knows for sure. It’s up to you.

That being said, I thought the laws given in the early Old Testament are very specific and aimed to establish a community from desert people/tribes, who are by the way not portraid as the smartest people out there. I mean, I raises an eyebrow or two quite a few times when they again abandoned god after he didn’t show himself for a couple of weeks.

But then later on the story goes on everything gets more benign. Ok, it’s not explicitly stated that the laws given at the beginning are not to be used any more but for me this is a given within the evolving context of the book.

Again, this is how I read/saw it.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The religious part is an important one. It helps explain why women are taken (as trophies, this is tradition in jihad ), why a music festival was attacked (music is haram, see also Bataclan), why no one was spared (again, playing by jihad rules, until the enemy submits there can be no mercy) and why Israel is hated by so many but also supported irrationally by others.

Looking at it in cold rational terms these things make no sense. Hamas has done a tiny bit of damage which will be inflicted on them a hundred times over. And unlike the Tet offensive brought up as a comparison, there is no large Arab army ready to finish the conquest.
You have misunderstood the point I was trying to make. I understand that the conflict itself is driven by unhinged religious nonsense. However there is no need to derail this thread itself with debate surrounding that religious nonsense.

This thread should be about news and facts regarding the situation. Not random opinionated religious takes that only serve to derail the thread and probably get people banned.

Last edited:

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
Utterly sickening acts and equally sickening apologists trying to ‘both sides’ the situation. The utter hypocrisy of the Western left who go to absurd lengths to excuse the rape, murder and persecution is utterly astonishing. And I’m not even talking about this in isolation, this is just the moment that makes it clear for everyone to see.

cormack12

Gold Member
I've seen so many accounts on Twitter with the "I support Palestine" flag. All of them left wing. All of them clearly don't understand this attack came from the Hamas controlled Gaza Strip. A regime that is totally at odds with these people's left wing values. Do they even know that homosexuality is a crime in Gaza and punished with a long prison sentence?

It seems like people are just randomly taking sides in a conflict they know next to nothing about.

Yep, that sounds like twitter. A group of morons quickly jumping on a trend, without any understanding or context. Exactly the same as all the little 5 second shock videos with all context removed.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
This is a naive view thinking this is about economic future. They don't care. They want to kill Jews.
Considering how once Egypt wanted to kill Jews and then became the first country in the region to have relations with them I would say there is more to it. But hey, “they hate Jews” is a lot easier than looking in depth at a situation. Kinda like “nothing can be done about school shootings” in a country with free access to guns.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Religion doing what it has done best for millennia.

Still see people on social media desperately trying to claim this isn’t about religion, because they are religious themselves, and the whole damned thing is far too uncomfortable for them. Which is understandable.

And religion isn‘t necessary for this kind of barbarity to exist (see the Russians in Ukraine) but it certainly powers every single aspect of this particular conflict - which would not be happening if they all didn’t want the same bit of dirt because of their ancient books.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

'They were going tree by tree and shooting' - Israeli festival goer​

Gili Yoskovich was among hundreds of young people at a dance music festival in southern Israel, near the Gaza Strip, when militant gunmen opened fire in the early hours of Saturday morning.

She describes to the BBC how she hid under a tree in a field as gunmen roamed about, shooting anybody they saw.

"They were... all over the place with automatic weapons.

"I saw people were dying all around. I was very quiet. I didn't cry, I didn't do anything.

"I was... breathing, saying: 'OK, I'm going to die. It's OK, just breathe, just close your eyes.'"

She says she hid for three hours before Israeli soldiers arrived to rescue her.

"I was the first one to get out of the field. It took others two or three more hours to get out [and] all the way people were dying - all the way on the road, young people, [as] it's a festival for young people.

"Many many people were dying on the road.”

zeldaring

Banned
Considering how once Egypt wanted to kill Jews and then became the first country in the region to have relations with them I would say there is more to it. But hey, “they hate Jews” is a lot easier than looking in depth at a situation. Kinda like “nothing can be done about school shootings” in a country with free access to guns.
This is a huge problem here, they are still living like the whites and blacks used to 100 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/EChcxGBeJJo

Have to push back on this a bit. The Quran is full of hate, bigotry and calls to violence.

But then so is the Bible and the Torah.

These conversations get real uncomfortable, real quick.

Hamas are Muslims. Extremist ones.

Are you replying to the right person?

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Egypt went to war several times, and lost. Lost so bad Israel conquered part of Egypt, the peace agreement gave them that peace of land back. That's why there was a peace agreement. Trust me, given the opportunity Egypt will strike.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
This is a huge problem here, they are still living like the whites and blacks used to 100 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/EChcxGBeJJo

Except it wasn't 100 years ago (it was within my big brother's lifetime... He's only 10 years older than me.... It isn't ancient history) and segregation was the law of the land. There was also red lining and other laws keeping folks separate. It's become the norm because of it. The racist laws separating us is why we have enclaves like Little Tokyo or Chinatown or little Italy or little Israel or "the black side of town"

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
As a Jew It's kind of sickening seeing so many anti-semite comments in here. Kind of scary actually.
Here at least you can counter people's uneducated stuff with facts. The other place you'll get banned if you say you're pro-Israel.

I'm amazed at how badly Israel has handled it's messaging across the years, and allowed lies to fester and manipulate people into thinking it's committing genocide (!) when the Palestinian population has grown five fold since 1948.

But Jews always had to contend with conspiracy theories.

why not take it up with antisemitic posters in this thread since you’re in it anyway, instead of vague gesturing and then insulting
I wasn't talking to you. And I am not insulting anyone. Was just stating a general observation. I have no interest in talking to those anti semitic degenerates. They know what they said and what they are doing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom