• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has any 2023 release topped Elden Ring?

Has any major 2023 release topped Elden Ring?

• Total voters

Bojji

Gold Member
TOTK has the most 10 ratings in metacritic histories and is selling faster than Elden Rings and it's only on one platforms but Elden Ring did great to

I am happies that two great jarpanese games gots such gigantic sales and good scores my friends

It's also a completely different game, both are open world but gameplay is not focused on the same things. Game journalists always had soft spot for Zelda so scores doesn't surprise me.

Elfen Ring is still the best, I doubt any game released this year will surpass it in the eyes of many people.

GymWolf

Gold Member
TOTK has the most 10 ratings in metacritic histories and is selling faster than Elden Rings and it's only on one platforms but Elden Ring did great to

I am happies that two great jarpanese games gots such gigantic sales and good scores my friends
giphy.gif

Spaceman292

Banned
Highly overrated game.
Totk is a game that runs circles around Elden Ring, to answer op question.
It’s just open world Souls but it’s a weak systemic open world and rpg. Dogma did it better waay earlier and is a better rpg.
I love Dragon's Dogma but most of its open world is pretty barren. Elden Ring has tonnes more shit in it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I do have more FUN playing TOTK, and it's also a more relaxing experience. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a better game overall, but yeah.

There have been some really great games since Elden Ring, but in my opinion, nothing has come remotely close to being better than it.

Truly an incredible, unforgettable game that I wish I could erase from my memory and start again.

TotK far and above, but since this is a forum of PlayStation people the survey will not show that.
Weird how people have different opinions about entertainment. Truth is that they are both amazing games.

MagnesD3

No lol, not even close. I haven't player a 9.7-10 level kind of game this year and even then elden ring is on top of most if not all of those.

Last edited:

Gojiira

No OP I dont see any game for a long while topping Elden Ring, it has great worldbuilding, lore, polished combat, replayability, fantastic bosses and enemies, a ton of variety both for locations and weapons/armour/enemy designs, worthwhile exploration.
Not to mention the expansion is out soon.
Really wish people would actually look at what makes ER so special before comparing to other titles. You can have your preferences but it didnt asset flip an entire world map, it has multiple play styles, rewards at every single location etc etc, there is no open world like it at all.

SHA

I started to play breath of the wild last month (played it for like 5h), game is empty as fuck and quite boring. Production values are high but that's it.

I don't know why it got such high scores, and from what I know TotK is more of the same.
That's how I see Zelda games, Mario has way more energy than Zelda, it almost felt like the boring side of empty world, shadow of the colossus is also empty but I liked it this way.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Not yet. I am however hopeful that Lies of P overtakes it for me.

P.S. Playing original Dark Souls games is rough after Elden Ring.

I'm primarily a Playstation gamer, and honestly I couldn't give a shit about ER. I've never found the appeal to Souls games anyway, and I don't think I'm the only one.

You're not at all, my friend.

Elden Ring ain't shit to me. I've put a lot of time into Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro, and Elden Ring, in each case trying to find the fun and engagement that soulsfans love to gush over. I wasn't able to find it at all. The games are all pretty dull to me.

Just empty combat with environmental storytelling, with no compelling reason to keep playing after the first few hours.

So yeah, to me, many games in 2023 have blown way past ER.

I wasn't able to really get into totk, which is the only real competition imho. There have been lots of 9/10s this year though!

Topher

Gold Member

Elden Ring ain't shit to me. I've put a lot of time into Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro, and Elden Ring, in each case trying to find the fun and engagement that soulsfans love to gush over. I wasn't able to find it at all. The games are all pretty dull to me.

Just empty combat with environmental storytelling, with no compelling reason to keep playing after the first few hours.

Pretty much the same. Souls games in general never clicked with me.

Best game to me over the last two years was Hogwarts followed by Diablo 4.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

Fake

Tears gonna pass Hogwarts

Not the point. He is talking about 'beating Elden Ring'.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Why can't I choose multiple? Not everyone is a souls fan. Elden Ring had great exploration but it was a slog and not very engaging. I am really curious to see how the follow up does saleswise. I.e. how many people who bought it liked it enough to want a second round. Zelda destroys it. Hogwarts was more fun too. Final Fantasy has a better story so far, but has no real exploration. Diablo is more enjoyable too but I am doing that in coop with my kid.

Rea

I don't get more fun with Elden Ring than any other souls game, it's just a another souls game with useless big map. I wish it were smaller map with more balanced boss mechanics.

Top Bottom