• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Any Character Been Ruined More Than Jin Kazama (Tekken)?

DerZuhälter;237249642 said:
I feel like Tekken 4 ruined Jin more to me than his story in Tekken 6.
Changing his complete fight style from 3 to 4 was terrible.

Didt jin was in low profile in that game ?

Dessa

Neo Member
People can keep citing this forever, but all it takes is to make a new Metroid game that never references Other M. It is super easy to write that one out of canon.

Sure, they could make her un-canon in the Metroid games, but Smash Bros will ensure that Zero Suit Samus lives on as a reminder (and she's too popular to ever drop from Smash).

SOLDIER

I...don't even know what you're talking about lol. Case of Tifa? Case of Denzel?

Somewhere around that time period Square Enix got the bright idea of crafting stories where nothing makes sense unless you go well out of the scope of whatever you're playing/watching to understand it

Kingdom Hearts, FFXIII, Advent Children, FFXV....

Since XV was written back during that age, hopefully that is the last Square title that suffers from this blunder.

https://thelifestream.net/on-the-way-to-a-smile-episode-tifa-revised/

Seriously, I wish this got an adaptation.

It even has the ending to FFVII that was missing all these years! You actually learned what happened to the group right after!

Cloud is a good choice, but I feel like Squall gets it even worse. Most people only remember him for his standoffish persona in disc 1 and that photoshopped "whatever" picture. The translation made him seem more uncaring than he was supposed to, as well. Nobody ever seems to remember his development into a caring leader, his internal thoughts, or his romance with Rinoa. He wasn't even flanderized in supplemental material - his "Leon" persona in KH was exactly what I imagined his older self becoming. People still remember him falsely, though.

I certainly don't disagree, but from my experience people who dismiss Squall are the ones that just generally dislike VIII and couldn't be assed to put any kind of detailed thought into the way he was written. You'll be hard-pressed to find FFVIII appreciators that don't think very highly of the character, naturally.
For my money he was the most well designed FF protag on an internal level.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Ashley Williams' portrayal in ME3 upset me a little. From a dutiful soldier trying to break free from a stigma that's dogged her family for multiple generations to a tube top.

Ashley Williams was always a space racist though which sticks out heavily in the game.

Two Words

The bigger mistake was Namco making Tekken centered around Jin. Tekken is about Kazuya and Heihachi. Tekken 7 is correcting this.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The bigger mistake was Namco making Tekken centered around Jin. Tekken is about Kazuya and Heihachi. Tekken 7 is correcting this.

Really? Did honestly think they would have been able to stretch out that story for 7 games? Jin was introduced for a very good reason. There's only so many times you can throw each other into a volcano.

Synth

Sure, they could make her un-canon in the Metroid games, but Smash Bros will ensure that Zero Suit Samus lives on as a reminder (and she's too popular to ever drop from Smash).

Zero Suit Samus was introduced in Metroid Zero Mission though.

SarusGray

Really? Did honestly think they would have been able to stretch out that story for 7 games? Jin was introduced for a very good reason. There's only so many times you can throw each other into a volcano.

this. The plot even got redundant at the second tekken tournament. at this point because of heihachi throwing him off when he was a child, then kazuya throws heihachi off, then heihachi throws kazuya into a volcano.

I bet in tekken 7 heihachi will say it was an accident... and they'll both throw themselves into a volcano.

cordy

Banned

You're going to be pissed when Jin takes out Kazumi as Heihachi/Kazuya do their thing. Yall are underestimating Jin here.

He's just holding the IC title a bit before WM season where he'll win the world title again.

rackham

Banned
Corvo goes from being a silent badass in dishonored 1 to an annoying generic male in dishonored 2

...I just hate dishonored 2

Nottle

People can keep citing this forever, but all it takes is to make a new Metroid game that never references Other M. It is super easy to write that one out of canon.

Not so much for Jin Luther.
Then the problem is that Metroid Fusion which is the furthest game in the Metroid Timeline constantly acknowledges Other M through Adam. People will still want to play Metroid Fusion because it's pretty fantastic and if a game takes place after Fusion it will have acknowledge the how Samus was saved by Adam and her Fusion suit.

hrab

Jim Darlin' Raynor and the whole Starcraft 2 crew. Basically completely different people then they were in the first games. They should apologize and do it again :(

?

How? Kazuya is a terrorist who's at war with the Zaibatsu lmao.

All this thing with his mum, Jinpachi etc. It's like they trying to touch on the good in him. Basically anime "I'm sorry for all my wrongs" and everyone forgives him kinda deal. Like a war means anything in Tekken.

LordKasual

Banned
https://thelifestream.net/on-the-way-to-a-smile-episode-tifa-revised/

Seriously, I wish this got an adaptation.

It even has the ending to FFVII that was missing all these years! You actually learned what happened to the group right after!

I'll read through that at some point...this isn't fanfiction though is it? :O

I think the best part of FFVII's ending is that it was ambiguous. It really didn't need any clarification, the scene at the end with Red was all we needed. It got the point across

There's really nothing wrong with the Zero Suit...it's just an outfit. It's Other M's fetish with it that's the issue.

mzmend4.png
mzmend2.png

The suitless Samus shown in the Zero Mission / Fusion ending artworks looks like an interesting Samus that would be really fun to see. But since they can't get over demolishing her personality with the skinpaint suit on, I think we have no chance of that ever happening.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I never really played my of World of Warcraft, but I really liked Chieftain Thrall in the Warcraft III games.

latest

I heard they ruined him in the MMO though? Like they made him do questionable things that really didn't fit his character, all for the sake of a twist and keeping a war?

Nottle

If Metal Gear wasn't dead I would have 100% expected Kojima to retcon MGSV Ocelot into being a body double
like Venom Snake
I've sort of felt like the MGSV portrayal was interesting. What reason would Ocelot have to be a backstabbing asshole in V? Ocelot idolized Big Boss. Maybe there could of been a few more scenes where he does something quirky or maybe he could actually do some sharp shooting. Otherwise Ocelot had no reason to act how he normally does, antagonistic.

cordy

Banned
All this thing with his mum, Jinpachi etc. It's like they trying to touch on the good in him. Basically anime "I'm sorry for all my wrongs" and everyone forgives him kinda deal. Like a war means anything in Tekken.

Kazuya in T2 was doing far worse things than Heihachi had ever done up to that point, at one point he abducted animals just to experiment on them lol. If anything, Heihachi's the one who's more redeemable given the story. Kazumi's evil, he had to kill her because of it, Kazuya's angry because he doesn't know anything besides the fact his mom's died, Heihachi's forced to toss him down that ravine due to him having what Kazumi had that makes her evil and he wants to nip it in the bud lol, Heihachi's even crying in T7. He ain't living past this game.

Not a deep or complex story and all but it makes more sense that Heihachi's the most redeemable of them.

At the end of the day though, all 3 Mishimas will be redeemed regardless. It's just a matter of if the writing is great enough to make it make sense to the majority which it likely won't be.

OP as far as I'm concerned, Jin is still the main character of Tekken. I hated how they brought in Lars, trying hard to make a cool looking new addition to the Mishima family in the dirtiest way. The Tekken story could've done without him or Alisa.

But like I said Jin is still the protagonist. Even though everything in the promo practically makes it look like Tekken 7 is a Kazuya vs Heihachi story, remember that is the same exact thing that took place with Tekken 4 and JIn still ended up taking the spotlight and being the most important in the end, literally

Linkark07

Banned
Prince Kael'Thas from Warcraft.

In TFT, the prince was doing everything he could for save his people. His only concern was the safety of the blood elves, nothing more. He allied Illidan since he found in him a way for save the blood elves from their magic addiction. He even helped people despite his desperation in saving the blood elves, as we can see when his forces helped Malfurion and Maiev stop Illidan in Dalaran.

Come Burning Crusade, Kael is now a madman who has pledged loyalty to the Burning Legion and not only betrayed Illidan, but also the blood elves. And his personality completely changed too; now he is prone to scream like a lunatic. I love Burning Crusade, but I will never forgive what Blizzard did to Kael.

cordy

Banned
OP as far as I'm concerned, Jin is still the main character of Tekken. I hated how they brought in Lars, trying hard to make a cool looking new addition to the Mishima family in the dirtiest way. The Tekken story could've done without him or Alisa.

But like I said Jin is still the protagonist. Even though everything in the promo practically makes it look like Tekken 7 is a Kazuya vs Heihachi story, remember that is the same exact thing that took place with Tekken 4 and JIn still ended up taking the spotlight and being the most important in the end, literally

Lars is basically the Roman Reigns of Tekken.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Jim Darlin' Raynor and the whole Starcraft 2 crew. Basically completely different people then they were in the first games. They should apologize and do it again :(

This is the truth. Kerrigan was a irredeemable piece of shit, she revelled in it and that was point. It took until the end of broodwars for Jim to see just how much she was but even he did not trust her at the start of it.

The whole love story was forced and contrived and simultaneously ruined both characters.

dawgparty

I'd argue that he wasn't that good in the first place but heh, I'm not a Tekken fan so I don't have a strong case for it.

What gets me is what Sega did to Vanessa in the Virtua Fighters games. Started as a buff black woman in VF4 and they kept on giving her a lighter skin tone and less muscles in each of the sequels. She went from being a unique character in fighting games to hot chick #561
vf_vanessa.jpg

Ugh, I forgot about this. She was great in 4.

Linkark07

Banned
This is the truth. Kerrigan was a irredeemable piece of shit, she reveled in it and that was point. It took until the end of broodwars for Jim to see just how much she was but even he did not trust her at the start of it.

The whole love story was forced and contrived and simultaneously ruined both characters.

Oh yeah, forgot Raynor and Kerrigan.

BW Kerrigan: I'm evil and I love it. I kill my enemies and betray all my allies. Now the Koprulu sector is mine.
BW Raynor: I'll fucking kill you Kerrigan. For Fenix and all the noble souls you have destroyed in your mad quest for power. Even without an army on my back. Be sure of it.

Come SC2:

SC2 Raynor: I'm depressed. I still love Kerrigan, despite she is a Zerg now. And despite she killed Fenix. But still I love her and want to save her.
SC2 Kerrigan: Help me Jim. I'm being possessed by somebody. I wasn't evil to begin with. Somebody forced me to kill all those people.

SOLDIER

fuck Lars.

but as much as I hate him, no matter my opinion he will probably be important in the story.

Also OP yes I'm pretty sure xiao and Jin will hook up in T7 (yay)

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/718011622086709248

This stinks of troll dung.

please don't have her marry Lars or something. Fighting games love to arbitrarily pair two characters together (Kazuya and Jun).

Still salty Dizzy and Kye hooked up.

pbayne

Llyod Irving in Symphonia 2.

One of the few times i thought kind of straight forward hero guy was done pretty well. Then the sequel turns him into a cryptic asshole who doesn't trust his friends for a large part of the game. Some of it is body double shenanigans but still Llyod himself is unrecognizable in that game.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Jin Kazama was so fucking awesome in Tekken 4. Then for some reason they decided they wanted nothing to do with him anymore and downgraded him from the hero of the game to a side character :/

Thats what happens when your game flops all the way to hell

bumpkin

I mostly hate that they used his fighting style as a plot device and changed it from Tekken 4 on. People say he's more powerful now as a character, but I don't care. I spent years getting to be a bad-ass with Jin in Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag, and they hit the fucking reset button him. I haven't used him regularly since.

I'm still pissed about this to this day. Jin was awesome before they decided to Mishima him up. The point of the character was that he was the the one who got clear of his family's assholery.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Even with the space races being fiction her dialog grossed me out. Fuck Ashley, never kept her in my party in my countless play throughs.

She was litterally like one of those fox news nuts complete with the justification for her racism and everything which always me side eye whenever I had anything to do with her.

Taffer

Corvo goes from being a silent badass in dishonored 1 to an annoying generic male in dishonored 2

...I just hate dishonored 2

I just started it a few days ago and HE'S SO CHATTY. We won't be escaping anything any time soon if you have a million chats for every piece of furniture in the place. I can't help pressing square on things with press square prompts on my first playthrough.
You don't need to tell me that's the train station every time I go near the train station. I know! I knew last time you said it as well!

Yep. The only argument one could make against it is that he's technically not the same character.

Jin was bland and directionless after his debut in T3. Clearly Namco didn't know where to take him even in T4.

Pretty much, which is sad as it was not only my main but one of my favorite Tekken characters. His boy scout personality was a breath of fresh air coming from all the asshole / outright evil main characters.

Ashley Williams was always a space racist though which sticks out heavily in the game.

Agreed. Thanks for taking a bullet for the team in my ME1 playthrough, Ashley, you weren't missed in 2.

Superman in Injustice.
He was an asshole in Injustice 1, he became an irredeemable asshole in Injustice 2.

I dunno, he
punched a hole right through poor Billy's face
in 1, it would take quite a bit to redeem him. If anything he's more relatable in 2.

Unless you mean they ruined them in Injustice in general (which is the entire point of the series), but I have to disagree, I quite liked what they did with the plot.

Murkas

That wasn't Aya in 3rd Birthday.

I knew someone would bring this up and should have added it in my post but I'm gonna say that don't mean shit.

Just because it's some comatose 12 year old girl body morphing or whatever the fucking BS story they pulled in that disgusting game doesn't mean the character hasn't had a nice steaming pile of shit laid on her.

Momentary

Banned
Hopefully Lars becomes the center of attention for the next line of TEKKEN games. I find him to be pretty awesome. The thing is... what else is left to do after the Mishimas are done?

Hopefully Jin isn't the center of attention in this story. I much rather this be a Kazuya vs Heihaichi venture. I really feel like this final showdown is going to be ridiculously hype.

Top Bottom