• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Any Character Been Ruined More Than Jin Kazama (Tekken)?

CO_Andy

Harada's got an answer for you OP

Cm0Z_k-VIAAgJu-.jpg

BadWolf

I knew someone would bring this up and I'm here to say that don't mean shit.

Just because it's some comatose 12 year old girl body morphing or whatever the fucking BS story they pulled in that game doesn't mean the character hasn't had a nice steaming pile of shit laid on her.

Except it does.

She acts like a different person because she is a different person.

Village

Nah i'd say Jin got it worst

That is more your view of the character than SEGA's approach, or at least how the internet cnditioned you to see the character.

No i honestly have to agree.

He didn't do the usuall , all friends are shitty , classic is best , I don't really have much of an argument thing.

The critcism that sega seems largely directionless with what they want to do with sonic, is very apparent in the products they are making. This is a company who, despite all common sense made a game with sections that will be will most likely look worse due to them making sonic mania where the physics and look are perfect.

It is very clear they don't know what they want to do , nor do they have confidence in their directionlessnes. Further more the idea that sonic as a franchise has fallen into the trap of, if we laugh with you its ok. Is very apparent, its not ok, one because people still shit on sonic, so didn't work. But two because they are still making the same mistakes they were making, no amount of humorless self referential laughter will fix that.

I'm wait and see on EVERYTHING they put out because of this.

They could directly address me. They could go

" hey village you, there I see you. We got platinum to make a shadow the hedgehog character action game like rising with time stop parries"

and my response would be

" how me the fucking recipts"

Aleh

The last Tekken I played is 5, but even then I found Jin to be kind of a douche. He doesn't deserve Xiaoyu, which also happens to be my favorite character so maybe I'm just over protective :p

You either die as an awesome character (rip Jun and Michelle) or live long enough to become a Jin.

TheSun

This is the truth. Kerrigan was a irredeemable piece of shit, she revelled in it and that was point. It took until the end of broodwars for Jim to see just how much she was but even he did not trust her at the start of it.

The whole love story was forced and contrived and simultaneously ruined both characters.

Like I tend to ignore bad writing in games if the game is fun enough, but damn.

Heart of the Swarm is the worst of the lot. Even the story writer feels some of his writing was not great.

The whole Kerrigan deal was so bad. Then the finale just went full stupid with her character.

SarusGray

The last Tekken I played is 5, but even then I found Jin to be kind of a douche. He doesn't deserve Xiaoyu, which also happens to be my favorite character so maybe I'm just over protective :p

You either die as an awesome character (rip Jun and Michelle) or live long enough to become a Jin.
or live long enough to become Law and Paul. If female Nina, a woman who hasn't aged ever.

Neptonic

I saw someone saying Ocelot was ruined in MGS4 in this thread. It is a fact that Ocelot got better in every sequel, then MGSV ruined him.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
jin has always been a lame cornball kazuya

always

He is his son. He is a balance of power and movement. He gets his grace from his mother, Jun. Tekken is a lot about family and relationships. I think he's a perfect addition, but he's been treated like crap for characters that aren't really that exciting. A lot of the new characters aren't really that interesting to the grand scheme of things.

I saw someone saying Ocelot was ruined in MGS4 in this thread. It is a fact that Ocelot got better in every sequel, then MGSV ruined him.

Notcelot.

Agreed, though I do like ramifications of Ocelot and Miller in MGSV of course (and do love MGSV). Mainly agreed that Ocelot's culmination over the years was great. Total bad ass, boss af. That de-fragmenting slugfest is one of the most memorable highlights in the series for me, because of how all encompassing he became over time.

PtM

Banned
At the end of the day though, all 3 Mishimas will be redeemed regardless. It's just a matter of if the writing is great enough to make it make sense to the majority which it likely won't be.
As far as I'm concerned, Tekken is the Saga of Irredeemable Assholes. The best ending ever was all three of them burning in the atmosphere.

MGS2 Solid Snake to boring ass almost mute Old Snake (MGS4) is the biggest drop in quality I've seen.

Solidus Snake in MGS4 was also earth shatteringly shit, how they treated such a great character. And Liquid Ocelot not being either Ocelot or Liquid in a sense (just Ocelot pretending to be Liquid, so you get neither the best of either character) in MGS4 was also incredibly lame. Then in MGSV he's even worse, he's just a nothing character.

MGS1 Naomi to MGS4 drama queen Naomi was also lame.

I've sort of felt like the MGSV portrayal was interesting. What reason would Ocelot have to be a backstabbing asshole in V? Ocelot idolized Big Boss. Maybe there could of been a few more scenes where he does something quirky or maybe he could actually do some sharp shooting. Otherwise Ocelot had no reason to act how he normally does, antagonistic.
The best portrayal of Oceleot in MGSV was in the trailer for Metal Gear Online.

LaserHawk

2x5FhnN.gif

I hate what they did to Cody. I liked him in Final Fight, but as he transitioned over to Street Fighter he became an asshole jailbird. I don't want to play as that.

Frank West.

I really agree with this one. It seems like Capcom misunderstood what people liked about Frank West when they put out Dead Rising 4. Of course, I think they generally misunderstood what people like about Dead Rising, too.

I hate what they did to Cody. I liked him in Final Fight, but as he transitioned over to Street Fighter he became an asshole jailbird. I don't want to play as that.
Nah, having Cody be a adrenaline junkie that couldn't stop fighting people to the point where he became a criminal is a surprisingly neat twist on what happens to a video game protagonist that can't move on with their life after beating up all the bad guys because it turns out that's all they ever knew.

Also Ashley from Mass Effect actually had character development in 1 and was a solid character. I can't fathom why people prefer the sentient piece of wet cardboard named Kaidan over her.

SarusGray

2x5FhnN.gif

I really agree with this one. It seems like Capcom misunderstood what people liked about Frank West when they put out Dead Rising 4. Of course, I think they generally misunderstood what people like about Dead Rising, too.
Isn't cody like uber OP thats why he has handcuffs? he could break em off or get out of jail whenever he wanted to. I thought that was pretty cool.

Veedot

Not when they want to keep pushing Lars and Alisa.

Like I seriously can't believe those two are still getting top-billing. At least they're not as bad as the twins in Soul Calibur.
Worst push than both of those examples is Marie Rose and Honkers in DOA.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
sean matsuda from second impact to third strike. a joke character in second impact with a beastly two hit reduced to that shitty whirlybird thing they gave him in 3rd strike which left him as just a joke. i cant even look at what they did to him.

Slater

Banned
FOUR PAGES DEEP WITHOUT AYA? GAF YOU FUCKING POSERS

Aya.Brea.full.568473.jpg

LOOK AT THIS ABOMINATION

FUCK 3RD BIRTHDAY, TORIYMA AND NOMURA'S GREATEST SIN

petran79

Banned
2x5FhnN.gif

Guy was even dumber. Beats Cody due to jealousy, Jessica dumbs Cody after he goes to jail and then Guy decides to become celibate and turn into ninja.

Then the problem is that Metroid Fusion which is the furthest game in the Metroid Timeline constantly acknowledges Other M through Adam. People will still want to play Metroid Fusion because it's pretty fantastic and if a game takes place after Fusion it will have acknowledge the how Samus was saved by Adam and her Fusion suit.

But Fusion came out before Other M. Yes, Fusion references things that happened in Other M, but who is to say those things happened the way the Other M says they did?

(Disclaimer, I never finished Metroid Fusion. One of those games I keep meaning to get back to some day.)

HeatBoost

Jin wasn't really ruined because he always kinda sucked. I mean I don't want to over-exaggerate, I don't find him offensive or anything, but he was always the brooding, angsty prettyboy to Kazuya's crazy asshole and Heihachi's raving loon.

Gonna slide this in riiiight here.

banjokazooie-620x.jpg

Nuts and Bolts Banjo and Kazooie was a completely fine redesign IMO. Just made them a little more boxy is all. And the characters themselves were basically exactly the same personality wise (what little dialog they had in the game).

The game itself being completely different is another matter, but I loved it for what it was (a fun, inventive vehicle creation challenge completing game). And after playing some of Yooka Laylee, I think I'd rather just play Banjo Kazooie 1 again than hope for a "faithful" Banjo 3.
I think they just hit lightning in a bottle with BK1, since Tooie, DK64, and now YL failed to live up to it.

mas8705

Two words: Skylanders Spyro

spyro.png

Now bare in mind, that this has been discussed plenty of times previously back when Skylanders first started, but the reason why I'm saying that Spyro got ruined was because after he was introduced, he was basically shoved off and pretty much never seen again afterwards. It is hard to say if he or Crash has had a harder time in this age of gaming, but it does seem like while Crash is going to relive his glory days, Spyro is stuck in purgatory.

heihachi throwing him off when he was a child, then kazuya throws heihachi off, then heihachi throws kazuya into a volcano.

Haha god Tekken is a masterpiece. There's this, and Heihachi's central conflict as a character being that everyone else in his family is a Satan and he's not and that makes him really mad.

Arklite

I'd argue that he wasn't that good in the first place but heh, I'm not a Tekken fan so I don't have a strong case for it.

What gets me is what Sega did to Vanessa in the Virtua Fighters games. Started as a buff black woman in VF4 and they kept on giving her a lighter skin tone and less muscles in each of the sequels. She went from being a unique character in fighting games to hot chick #561
vf_vanessa.jpg

Not that I'm excusing it, but at least for this case her complexion is a super easy fix in FS, and she's still plenty buff.

Ogodei

This is very common in Japanese media. Westerners are very averse to supplemental material being important whereas it seems to be a popular method of world building in Japan. The problem is when the stories are hidden away or not translated... usually they're advertised in some way in Japan, where companies in the west think they won't catch on with their audience or aren't important. I can't even recall if all of the stories for AC were translated or not.

I know why he did it, it has an in-universe justification. But it could have easily been written another way and the creative decision to make Liquid Ocelot
not Liquid
is very disappointing, IMO.

To tie to another part of this thread: Other M was a lot less "out of the blue character assassination" to people who read the Metroid manga, though the manga was never officially published outside of Japan (so it's still a case of wtf were they thinking, but there is context to why Samus is the way she is in that game).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Imagine humans, in the future, finally overcoming Earth racism completely only to become space-racist.

That shit is inevitable you can set your clock by it. It sad but humans have enough trouble empathising with and not sterotype other humans for whom they're fundamentally the same as. Actual aliens will be a completely different level.

I fully expect a first contact war like what was also stated to happen in the game.

Tizoc

This is how I view the character as a life-long fan. Every other Sonic game is practically a complete reboot of the franchise and universe that pretends to be canon for some reason.

Continuity? The games are the usual save the day fare, there's no major plot connecting them at all. Any connection is something bare and simple.
As a life long fan, I see Sonic's character just as Mario; protagonist out to save the day, no form of fanart or the like could change that.

No i honestly have to agree.

He didn't do the usuall , all friends are shitty , classic is best , I don't really have much of an argument thing.

The critcism that sega seems largely directionless with what they want to do with sonic, is very apparent in the products they are making. This is a company who, despite all common sense made a game with sections that will be will most likely look worse due to them making sonic mania where the physics and look are perfect.

It is very clear they don't know what they want to do , nor do they have confidence in their directionlessnes. Further more the idea that sonic as a franchise has fallen into the trap of, if we laugh with you its ok. Is very apparent, its not ok, one because people still shit on sonic, so didn't work. But two because they are still making the same mistakes they were making, no amount of humorless self referential laughter will fix that.

I'm wait and see on EVERYTHING they put out because of this.

They could directly address me. They could go

" hey village you, there I see you. We got platinum to make a shadow the hedgehog character action game like rising with time stop parries"

and my response would be

" how me the fucking recipts"

Ah when you put it like that I see what you mean. My understanding from reading the OP and the thread title is that it is more based on plot elements. I do agree that SEGA make the most needless issues when some Sonic games would benefit from being at least, smaller scale.

Top Bottom