• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever played what you genuinely considered to be a “good” game on Mobile?

jcorb

I don’t mean to dig all mobile games, but I genuinely can’t think of a game on mobile I’ve ever really enjoyed — and I feel like I’ve tried quite a lot.

Warcraft Rumble isn’t the worst, but feels too basic, and I recently tried Albion Online, which I’ll say is impressive, but still hasn’t quite “clicked” for me.

I remember enjoying the original Infinity Blade when it first came out, but I remember still feeling the frustration of “this would be better with a controller”.

I sort of feel like the Pokemon series would actually lend itself well to mobile, or maybe something along the lines of Animal Crossing (which I know exists already, but feels like it could use a bit *more* gameplay).

I’ve often wondered if something like Final Fantasy Tactics or XCOM would work well for mobile, although with such small screens, I feel like things would still need to be fairly simplified?

I dunno; you guys run into any games where you’re like “yeah, this is a legit good game on its own merits, not just because it’s on mobile”?

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I don’t know if I’d call it “good”, but I had a decent time with Archero.

I would probably play it on ps5 if it was there.

Last edited:
dAtcCfH.gif

RagnarokIV

No.

Gameloft Nokia ports were to kill time on lunch (crap like Splinter Cell)

Infinity Blade was a “wow” moment at release purely for the graphics.

Dead Space and RE4 on iPhone was “what a cool novelty, but why?”

And since then it’s all been free to play or gacha shite. The effort isn’t even there.

Last edited:
Looking at my current list of gams I'm playing on my cell phone,
All the The Room games
Genshin Impact and Honkai Star Rail

Netflix games has all these that I downloaded and played
Monument
Wonderputt
Laya's Horizon
Highwater
Raji (you might be familiar with this as it's available on PS+ now in another post today)
Storyteller
Hades
Pinball Master
Highwater
Spiritfarer
Mahjong Solitaire
Oxenfree 1and 2

Crossyroads (The best cell phone game ever made)

Sethbacca

I'll throw Plague Inc on the pile. I'm not entirely positive it was a mobile game from the get go, but that was my first experience with it. The Kingdom Rush games are also fun, and I really liked the Rocket League side scroller variant for a bit.

I had a lot of fun playing Marvel Snap, however I eventually just kinda felt dirty for wasting so much time grinding the insane amount of games you need to play to not lose rank that it turned me off

StereoVsn

I don’t mean to dig all mobile games, but I genuinely can’t think of a game on mobile I’ve ever really enjoyed — and I feel like I’ve tried quite a lot.

Warcraft Rumble isn’t the worst, but feels too basic, and I recently tried Albion Online, which I’ll say is impressive, but still hasn’t quite “clicked” for me.

I remember enjoying the original Infinity Blade when it first came out, but I remember still feeling the frustration of “this would be better with a controller”.

I sort of feel like the Pokemon series would actually lend itself well to mobile, or maybe something along the lines of Animal Crossing (which I know exists already, but feels like it could use a bit *more* gameplay).

I’ve often wondered if something like Final Fantasy Tactics or XCOM would work well for mobile, although with such small screens, I feel like things would still need to be fairly simplified?

I dunno; you guys run into any games where you’re like “yeah, this is a legit good game on its own merits, not just because it’s on mobile”?
XCOM works great in the iPad, so does Divinity OS2, BG1 and 2.

Chrono Trigger and FFVI (NOT the pixel remaster as they doesn’t have controller support) work well on mobile. Even DQVII for all its faults isn’t too bad.

Total War Rome is also pretty cool. So is Atom RPG.

If you mean actual mobile games and not PC/console ports, nope.

Turn based JRPGs and strategy work very, very well on mobile and both genres have thrived on iOS and Android.

The real problem with mobile is twofold: Curation (which is sort of being solved with services like Apple Arcade and Google Arcade) and the fact that everyone competes with each other by making free games, thus forcing each other to put in MTX to compete.

There was a time when Android had games for 1.99 or 4.99 a game, with less MTX, but that all changed with facebook and farmville. I know people like to blame horse armor but things like farmville are why I keep saying that MTX was inevitable. Even if you had a time machine to stop one, anothe was going to capitalize on it anyway.

This is why I can kind of understand why android portables and phones with emulators are slowly (keyword slowly) on the rise, including the increasing amount of people playing older games. In a few years these mobile chips will be able to emulate PS3 games really well.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Find out for yourself, they've both been ported to mobile phones. I think they do work well.

Remember FFT was ported to the PSP, which has a smaller screen than today's phones, and was great on it.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Angry Birds, Tiny Wings, Plants vs Zombies, Kingdom Rush series…. Yeah you can tell how long it’s been since I cared about mobile games, but there were a few good ones that weren’t monetized to death.

Minsc

Gold Member
Mobile phones run emulation through and beyond PS3.

3/DS games in particular run especially well with the portrait screen format.

So there's like 100,000 or so games that run great on mobile.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Many of the mobile game classics are still fun like angry birds, temple run, jetpack joyride, cut the rope, wheres my water, sonic dash, mario run etc

But mobile rhythm games are also very great as well, like arcaea, phigros and Hatsune Miku Project Sekai.

Outside of that Idgaf.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The only Mobile game I EVER played was this...
71hDiUGzJAL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

And I only played that game character designer behind this was same one who worked on Drakengard 3.....but whole gatcha and F2P systems were too much for me and I just quit.

Moochi

Hearthstone is the only game on my phone that works well enough as a mobile title that I play it regularly. I use a Gamesir G8 Gallileo for emulation if I want to play real games on my phone.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Goddamned Tetris robbed my soul on my Nokia ages ago........ And that's about it lol.

Oh jeez, jk, I remember angry birds being absolutely addictive back in the day, I had this Gameloft Halo clone which was very impressive at the time due to the great graphics it had and I rather played angry birds.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I really enjoyed Hearthstone, and played it everyday at work, and often at home.

But as someone that was trying to get by as a free player spending no money, it was tough. It felt as though when I finally would start getting a pretty powerful deck going, a new expansion would hit, and it was back to saving my gold to buy packs for the new cards.

Eventually I got fed up with it and quit cold turkey.

Since then there’s really been nothing. Well, there was a pretty interesting puzzle game I’d played where you found items in a house that could be used elsewhere in the house to unlock secrets. Can’t remember the name, but it was fun.

bender

What time is it?
Snake on Nokia. Brick Breaker on Blackberry. Canabalt, Game Dev Story and the Cave SHMUPS on IOS.

Top Bottom