• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever played what you genuinely considered to be a “good” game on Mobile?

MarkMe2525

There used to be a tower defense style "Evil Dead" game for iOS that really could grab me for hours at a time. You paid once, it was well built, with great execution. It was built for touch so using a controller probably would have been more of a hindrance than anything.

IAmRei

Dots (dots connected, i think) its simple puzzle, minimalist flat graphic, which seems nice. Addictive games

Also there is pixel art simple rpg like ultima, aether moon or something, i forgot, but the graphic is simple smart pseudo anime jrpg but with ultima alike gameplay

Also colopl games, but all of them is not available now, some are small yet polished games

I mostly use phone for emulator, for lot of fan translated rpg usually.

drganon

rzUsDE.gif

Tons of great experiences on mobile from f2p to buy-to-play games. You’re only limiting yourself by ignoring mobile as a platform. Too many games to list and tons of console/pc games make their way to mobile as well.

DeepSpace5D

They are few and far between but I thought Plants vs Zombies 1/2 were pretty high level for a mobile game.

I also used to be totally hooked on a competitive card game called Shadow Era back in the day.

Sentenza

Personally? None that wasn't a port of a desktop/console game.
And even then chances are the mobile version was not the "good one" and rather a compromise when the alternatives weren't made available.

GymWolf

Yep, when i was using the gameboy emulator to play pokemon.

Heartstone was pretty fun aswell.

I haven't played mobile gams in a while tho.

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
There was a really good racing game later ported to consoles, it even got a sequel. But I played it on an ipad back in the day.

Horizon Chase

I'd say it worked in spite of the touch controls, though, not because of them.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Loads.

My favourite are Rome Total War and Medieval 2 Total War.

These are watered down versions. These are perfect ports of the original PC games. In fact, the only difference is the touch controls which take some time to get used to. Besides that, they're PC classics in your pocket. These are also paid titles as well, so no adverts.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
A lot of us played and loved Jetpack Joyride in college. Great way to kill time when you're just hanging out or whatever but mobile games were extremely novel then.

Cut the Rope (imho the Braid equivalent moment for early mobile)
Burn the Rope (the unrelated cousin, that did not depend on touchscreen but on gyro which made it imho the second only-possible-on-mobile game)
2048 (works on anything, but swiping is fun for that)
Gun Bros (twin stick on touch is a bit meh, but otherwise it was nice)
Real Racing 3 (gyro steering works very fine)
Solitaire Collection can't remember the exact name, with various modes and a not annoying ad system

All are older or very old, and were free. My current phone should be able to handle more advanced games, but I always leave the store empty handed since nothing seems to look actually nice.

How has no one said Sword and Sorcery yet???????
Agreed definitely one of my favourite mobile games. Sadly not compatible with my latest phone.

Others I like:

Tricky Castles
Monument Valley
Plants vs Zombies
Among Us
Hole.io

Yet to check out pixel heroes

Roberts

I used to play games on my first two iphones. So, yeah, I played tons of Angry Birds and Plants vs Zombies and they helped pass the time (when on trains or planes) and I genuinely enjoyed them because of that. The last mobile game that I have played for more than a few minutes was probably Bastion and that was more than 10 years ago.

Goalus

Sorcery! quadrilogy
Microsoft Solitaire Collection

Other than that, none. Gaming on mobile is bad. I wouldn't call it "gaming". It's something else that doesn't feel like gaming.

Kabelly

Jetpack Joyride was always a fun and simple truly mobile game. Can play it with one hand. Very similar to Mario Run. It has the typical mobile microtransactions but you can unlock pretty much everything just by playing.

giphy.gif

I don't really play mobile games anymore because I have already a million other things to play but I just recently tried that Nikke game because of Stellar Blade coming out soon and that game is actually horny. I only played a few starting missions but the game seemed simple enough. I might try it again later.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Kingdom Rush.

There was a game about 10 years ago called Battle ‘something’, I forget the full title. It was a wave based rpg with timed spells and simple movement. Really good fun.

I think simple style mobile games are fine.

MiguelItUp

I'm sure they exist, but I've personally never played one. Closest I played was probably Peggle. It's just not my preferred platform at all, and nothing will change that for me.

Griffon

I love how half of the recommendations are games that aren't in distribution anymore and/or decades old shit.

I did some research a while ago, there are games that seem good like the Sorcery! RPG series, and all the FFs and DQs. The DQ ports are especially well made for mobile use.
But my main issue is that no matter how simple those games seem, they all are huge battery hogs... so I end up never playing them. I need my phone for important shit through the day and I can't risk killing off the battery on a short game session.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

They are few and far between but I thought Plants vs Zombies 1/2 were pretty high level for a mobile game.
Yeah PvZ is a classic.

I rarely play mobile games, but Marvel Snap was pretty good. I only eventually got bored because of the community, 90% of players seemed to play variations of like the same four decks. Just got old after a while but not really the game's fault.

Fredrik

Absolutely!

Dark Nebula 1 and 2

Inotia 1 and 2

Chaos Rings

Infinity Blade 1, 2, 3

Oceanhorn

Fantasian

No idea if you can still purchase any of them

xrnzaaas

I haven't touched mobile gaming in 10+ years. Back in the old Java days I would say that both Doom RPG and Wolfenstein RPG were awesome dungeon crawlers. I'd definitely buy their "bigger" modern versions.

Top Bottom