• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever played what you genuinely considered to be a “good” game on Mobile?

Bond007

I used to be addicted to

Running with friends (Bull running game) and some Home Run game back in like 2011- 2012. Great games i could jump in and out of.
Ultimately, i cant stand mobile gaming

chilichote

I really liked the first Angry Birds games, but I rarely play mobile games beyond that, most of them are kind of shit^^

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Chaos Rings

Chaos Rings 2 is one of the greatest RPGs I have ever played. Square outdid themselves with that one.

Vainglory was the best MOBA at the time it released, and still holds up today.

Hearthstone was an incredible card game until they made it fully pay-to-win.

Tams

Bounce Evolution.

It was only a demo on the Nokia N900, with one level and one track in a time trial mode.

MetalRain

I think good game on mobile is different category from other gamed, I liked 1024/2048 they felt like built for mobile. Plants vs Zombies 2 could have been amazing, but it wasn't.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Mobile phones run emulation through and beyond PS3.

3/DS games in particular run especially well with the portrait screen format.

So there's like 100,000 or so games that run great on mobile.

Show me a phone emulating PS3 please (with good results).

Rifts seemed good but I don't know if you would consider it a mobile game? It was a physical cartridge that you plug into the N-Gage. The big problem with that game was the repetitive graphics.

I can't believe we never got a console or PC game based off of Rifts.

I gave up on mobile a long time ago. The only games which were fun was the room series.

In all other games I can initially see their shortcomings and can only wonder how they would have turned out on PC or console.

However, for retrogamimg mobile is a good choice these days.

no man GIF

Minsc

Gold Member
Show me a phone emulating PS3 please (with good results).

Guess I was wrong about PS3, my bad. You at least can swap in Switch for it. That should keep the game count roughly the same. Plus there's always streaming, that adds a ton of games to the device too, if your environment allows it.

Strange since Switch runs and is significantly more powerful than PS3, but I guess the hardware is just too different and the interest in PS3 emulation hasn't progressed enough to where they can sell it and expedite it further.

With the progress on EmuDeck / Emulation Station on Android recently, sooner or later it'll happen, I'm sure. Probably not for today's phones, but I don't see it being a problem forever.

wondermega

There used to be tons of great little mobile games, it's been a very long time since I payed any attention to the scene (like 10 years) but for a time there was a lot of fun to be had. The zenith for me was Drop7, I had to uninstall the game without looking back as it was literally too addictive for me. I'd get completely sucked back into it right now if I reinstalled it.

There were some of those match-3 breakers (Zuma and such) that were also really well done. And of course things like Robot Unicorn Attack and Flight Control, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Damn wish I could actually play Flight Control right now, it was pretty perfect.

I put out a few mobile things myself which I was pretty proud of - once you started to design focusing on the strengths of the touchscreen, rather than in spite of it ("here's pictures of traditional buttons") then it started to get pretty interesting. There's honestly still a lot of potential there, I'd like to get back to it for many reasons (but impossible to make money off of that, so basically just for fun really). I'd actually like to see a pretty well-curated list of worthwhile mobile gaming in 2024.

Otherwise, Wordle is basically all I will play anymore (and even then, I go in and out)..

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Guess I was wrong about PS3, my bad. You at least can swap in Switch for it. That should keep the game count roughly the same. Plus there's always streaming, that adds a ton of games to the device too, if your environment allows it.

Strange since Switch runs and is significantly more powerful than PS3, but I guess the hardware is just too different and the interest in PS3 emulation hasn't progressed enough to where they can sell it and expedite it further.

With the progress on EmuDeck / Emulation Station on Android recently, sooner or later it'll happen, I'm sure. Probably not for today's phones, but I don't see it being a problem forever.

The Switch really isn't significantly more powerful than the PS3 or 360. It's better than them in some ways, but worse in others (mainly CPU). Overall it's rather comparable to them though, just more modern. Very much in that same generation in terms of overall power.

But yeah, the PS3 is very weird and difficult to emulate, the Cell in particular.

Pallas

Gold Member
Strictly speaking mobile games, and games that can only be found on mobile phones.

Romancing SaGa Re: Universe

gsvy47z.jpg

Lambogenie

I think there was even a GAF thread, but Teeny Titans was fun and funny. Worth a bash. It's a figure battle game where Robin is obsessed to become the very best.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Adventures of TinTin, Steven universe attack the light and a few of the radiant games. Oh and soul knight.

Robb

Gold Member
I’ll put it this way. I don’t think I’ve ever played anything on mobile that wouldn’t play better on a dedicated console.

Shut0wen

I don’t mean to dig all mobile games, but I genuinely can’t think of a game on mobile I’ve ever really enjoyed — and I feel like I’ve tried quite a lot.

Warcraft Rumble isn’t the worst, but feels too basic, and I recently tried Albion Online, which I’ll say is impressive, but still hasn’t quite “clicked” for me.

I remember enjoying the original Infinity Blade when it first came out, but I remember still feeling the frustration of “this would be better with a controller”.

I sort of feel like the Pokemon series would actually lend itself well to mobile, or maybe something along the lines of Animal Crossing (which I know exists already, but feels like it could use a bit *more* gameplay).

I’ve often wondered if something like Final Fantasy Tactics or XCOM would work well for mobile, although with such small screens, I feel like things would still need to be fairly simplified?

I dunno; you guys run into any games where you’re like “yeah, this is a legit good game on its own merits, not just because it’s on mobile”?
Robbery rob, a kids mgs game is goty, id also say hearthstone is still a good game even today

Minsc

Gold Member
I’ll put it this way. I don’t think I’ve ever played anything on mobile that wouldn’t play better on a dedicated console.

I really couldn't imagine playing something like Kingdom Rush properly on a console w/ gamepad.

Game needs KB+M or touch screen controls.

And the game is legit. "Overwhelmingly Positive" is an understatement, it's up there if not as the best of genre, right with them.

Darchaos

If i can put the words 'for what it is" before, sure ive played som "ok" mobile games. But in the end, they are pure shit and should be deleted togheter with f2p and catcha shit.

Minsc

Gold Member
If i can put the words 'for what it is" before, sure ive played som "ok" mobile games. But in the end, they are pure shit and should be deleted togheter with f2p and catcha shit.

You could just as easily say this about any gaming system/platform. Pick a handful of shitty games, ignore the good ones, and say the platform should be removed from existence.

Robb

Gold Member
I really couldn't imagine playing something like Kingdom Rush properly on a console w/ gamepad.
I haven’t played it so I can’t really comment on it. But my guess is that it’d work just fine with gyro controls + buttons in that case.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Snake on Nokia is the only one that comes to mind. I mean, how the fuck can a game be any good with touch controls.. It's an utterly absurd "gaming platform". But I guess if you have none other..

Cattlyst

There was a WipEout clone called AG Drive for iOS that was really quite good. Had superb visuals and a massive campaign mode. Sadly it was removed from the App Store years ago and has never been updated. Shame. So yeah - AG Drive was great.

Orenji Neko

terra battle。
Puzzle and dragon。伊藤さん music
fantasian 坂口さん he say FFVI inspired。great

rest i play are classic dq and ff release on mobile。

- Heroes of might and magic 3.... Yeah that legendary game... It was a port, that didn't have expansions and crashed a lot but was amazing having it a tablet. Of course ubisoft never updated it and it's gone... Grrrr

- Any of the spiderweb software games like avernum(no longer on android because dev is lazy and an apple fanboys grrrrrre..

- Doom rpg (gone)
- cardinal quest 1 and 2 (both not update and gone)

-The quest.. 3d grid based open world old school rpg with no micros. And 2 expansions

- waz hack
-pathos
- shattered pixel dungeon
- brotato
- baldurs gate /ice wind dale
- pocket rogue
- caves
- gems of war
- galaxy on fire 2
- ancient empires
- block fortress
- age of strategy
- wesnoth
- quest for dungeons
- hoplite
- nimble quest (not updated.)
- dungeon crawl stone soup

There are a bunch more. If you like rogue likes there some good ones... What sucks is that if an app isn't updated it gets taken off the store and if it's from Android 24 or earlier you can't even side load it anymore. It's bs as the app will work, Google just blocks it for "security".

Top Bottom