• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever played what you genuinely considered to be a “good” game on Mobile?

Markio128

I’ve lost more hours playing Dream Quest on iOS than 90% of console games. It’s a simple looking rogue deck builder - the precursor to Slay the Spire, etc., Amazingly addictive game.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
dAtcCfH.gif
Idk what this thread is about after watching this GIF of snake. Holy shit.

In a word, "No". Which is why I do not play games on mobile or tablet devices at all.

I feel they've been cheapened by the so-called free-to-play model, annoying pop up ads and, of course, an overabundance of microtractions, which have sadly trickled over into the mainstream games market as well over the years due to the greed of the games publishers.

If the mainstream games industry ever gets as depressingly bad as the mobile games industry then I will just give up gaming entirely and find something else to do with my time.

T-Cake

Just the one for me and I can't remember its name.

*goes off to research*

Ah, that's it. Puzzle Craft. No longer available on iOS as it's a 32-bit app but it does work on Windows via the Microsoft Store.

DonF

I love the port of slay the spire. But a native phone game... Slice & dice was already mentioned.

No I don't think so

Rickyiez

Nintendo DS games translate really well on mobile phones. I thought we would see games like Advanced War, Elite Beat Agent, Zelda Phantom hourglass, TWEWU

But instead we get butts in Nikke (not a bad gameplay concept but could use less fanservice)
screenshot-20221104-061752-nikke-723fc8226aef8b83906c319b1303c3c5.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I think there were tons of great videogames on iOS. Unfortunately, nearly all of them disappeared once iPhones moved from 32-bit CPUs to 64-bit.

My favorites would be Jeff Minter's Minotaur Project series. Minotaur Rescue and Gridrunner were my favorites, but they're all great and I miss them dearly.

More recently, there's an indie classic called Forget Me Not that's available on iOS once again, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. It's one of my all-time favorites, a beautiful mashup of a Roguelike dungeon crawler, a shoot-em-up, and a Pac-Man dot muncher.

PS: Fruit Ninja was good dumb fun, Jetpack Joyride and Age of Zombies helped to keep me sane on plane trips (I'm a big baby thanks to turbulence), and there was this one retro game where you were a kung-fu dog and you knocked down enemies that appeared to your left and right, just simple reflex action, but very addictive.

PPS: And, of course, who could forget this modern gaming masterpiece? This may very well be humanity's crowning achievement. Move over, Buzz and Neil!

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
I really don't like playing mobile games.

That said I've been playing Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes for years now, along with Pokemon GO (installed but mostly ignored now)

These are games I play while I'm shitting up on the mezzanine floor bathrooms.

I can't really deal with the touch controls and would prefer KB/M and Controller, so by default I play on PC/Switch/PS5.

marjo

Has anyone here tried Google Play Pass? I'm thinking of trying it out and looking for some opinions.

Comandr

HeroImage-8e7f7ffa2d46142a028e.jpg

Pretty much all of the Kairosoft games.

Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Dungeon Village, Mega Mall Story, and Grand Prix Story being stand outs to me. Most Kairosoft games are paid downloads with no IAP or ads. There are outliers though. Those ones are usually not very good. Some of them get converted down the line to premium paid games. Love the humor in these games.

Kaachan

Silly little game maybe but I always loved playing Pixel Dungeon on the train or bus when I was commuting somewhere far away

Top Bottom