• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
81 rated game is a turd?

VJFtz3q.jpeg

damidu

I just love the journos that gave the 1st an 80-90, praising it for its cinematic style and immersion, yet trashing the 2nd for doing the same thing.

The whole is trending the same average, but the outliers definitely have some questionable bias.
yeah re-relaesing the same extremely barebones experience without any improvements other than graphics, 7years in the future will do that to you.
games do not exist in a vacuum.
plus, seems they even managed to fumble the story this time on top.

yeah re-relaesing the same extremely barebones experience without any improvements other than graphics, 7years in the future will do that to you.
games do not exist in a vacuum.
plus, seems they even managed to fumble the story this time on top.
Plus anyone that's honest and played both knows they changed combat for the worse not better.
It's borderline QTEs at this point. The Hellblade 1 combat had more to react to, and each button press meant things.
Now half your button presses starts some scripted animation.

LordCBH

I’ll wade in. I’m an hour and a half in. It does some things very very well. Graphics, sound, and animations are excellent.

Gameplay, puzzles, and story seem like total crap so far. Somehow they did downgrade all 3 of those aspects from the first one. Good job.

Just like with The Order, the black bars during gameplay don’t bother me at all.

eNT1TY

Like the first this is definitely not my type of game so i wont judge it based on my arbitrary preferences though i will say i forced myself to finish it. The sound design is something else, it is a pretty game but it sounds even better than it looks. Thematically not my cup of tea but man was it an ethereal and visceral experience, like ASMR's bizzaro roided out cousin.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Alright finished it and with that I just want to say, that I am watching all of you who is hating on Blooper games and loving this. Its the same, that "combat" here can't be counted, because its so straight forward and "on rails".

But at least its much less obnoxious than first game, so that's a plus.

All in all, very pretty, but extremely limited with absolutely meh "story".

Topher

Gold Member
Alright finished it and with that I just want to say, that I am watching all of you who is hating on Blooper games and loving this. Its the same, that "combat" here can't be counted, because its so straight forward and "on rails".

But at least its much less obnoxious than first game, so that's a plus.

All in all, very pretty, but extremely limited with absolutely meh "story".

Yeah, it's gorgeous. That's about the only positive I have so far, but I'm only half way through the game. If they had just put a little more effort into the combat then I think it would have made a world of difference.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Play time at completion is a few minutes over seven hours, without all collectibles. Took me quite a bit longer than the first game. That final chapter is legitimate greatness.

I still prefer the combat in the original but I have come around to the sequels combat a bit more. I just hate that it’s focused so much on, well, focus.

Puzzles are a wash to me. Some of the portal/gateway puzzles in the first were very cool. Some of the orb puzzles here are equally good. Way less symbol puzzles here it seemed.

Story started off meh but really comes around in the second part of the game.

Obviously it’s the best looking game there is around. Take that for what it’s worth, it sacrifices a lot to get there just like games such as The Order did.

I can see why it has a high 80’s on Steam and 80’s with critics, it is really good.

This game is making me feel like I shouldn't have shrugged off the A Plague's Tale games. ha!
I'd prefer the first game's combat with a lock on system and more enemies compared to this.
Just feels like a graphical barely not QTE to win game.

ToadMan

I’m confused? He said he didn’t like the first game and the new one looked like trash last year - then he played the game and really liked it?

Do a test - watch a stinker of a movie.. Barbie or Ms Spiderman or whatever that was called... terrible right?

Now watch it again, but push up on the left stick of a controller while you're doing it.

10/10 film of the year, oscars all round.

Apparently.

Last edited:

Vroadstar

Gold Member
I played the game since it's free on GP. Graphically it's jaw-dropping, definitely one of the best-looking games so far and the sound is very well done. Unfortunately, after the initial graphics wow factor, as some Gaffers here said, it sacrificed a lot in actual gameplay (barely any), so it's not hyperbole to say it's a snoozefest. This is more video than a game.
You pushed forward a lot in a set path and..yeah I'll say no more, it's not for me. I hope Ninja Theory survives after this game.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Banned
If you went into this game expecting it to be gamey, it's not that great.

If you went into this game OK with the idea that it's more of an interactive movie, this is one of the best "games" to do it. I personally loved it. The final few hours was just amazing. The cave sequence of combat mixed with the visuals and the amazing sound design to it (with headphones on) was some of the most immersive and intense visually combat I've experienced in a game. I say "experience" because the combat is largely fight one enemy, then another, then another, where it's more an "experience", but holy crap is it done so well.

Last edited:
Do a test - watch a stinker of a movie.. Barbie or Ms Spiderman or whatever that was called... terrible right?

Now watch it again, but push up on the left stick of a controller while you're doing it.

Apparently.

*play it as a PlayStation exclusive = it sucks and is a slog

*re-play it on Xbox gamepass = GOTY, wow it’s incredible now, my tastes totally shifted, thank you Mr. Phil for showing me the way

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
This game is making me feel like I shouldn't have shrugged off the A Plague's Tale games. ha!
I'd prefer the first game's combat with a lock on system and more enemies compared to this.
Just feels like a graphical barely not QTE to win game.

If you haven’t played those games they’re great.

Topher

Gold Member
If you went into this game expecting it to be gamey, it's not that great.

If you went into this game OK with the idea that it's more of an interactive movie, this is one of the best "games" to do it. I personally loved it. The final few hours was just amazing. The cave sequence of combat mixed with the visuals and the amazing sound design to it (with headphones on) was some of the most immersive and intense visually combat I've experienced in a game. I say "experience" because the combat is largely fight one enemy, then another, then another, where it's more an "experience", but holy crap is it done so well.

I think that's why reactions are so polarized. A lot of folks are just put off by the lack of a game. But going by reviews on metacritic and Steam, folks like me who feel this way are obviously in the minority.

But you and Bumblebeetuna Bumblebeetuna both remarked on the ending chapters so I'll try and keep an open mind as start the second half.

Last edited:
Let me guess, it didn't click while it was a Sony exclusive but when it was on Xbox it suddenly did.

I'm sure we've all had games that clicked on the second or even third attempt, but when you've been on GAF for years and seen all the fanboy crap certain users have been constantly posting without shame it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt even if they did happen to be honest for once. That's on them.
I don’t pay attention much to this he could be a fanboy I genuinely don’t know I haven’t read his other postings

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member

Apparently.
Let's begin with a fact that Hellblade 2 is even worse as a move than as a game. If it was a movie it would've been panned universally because outside of UE5s tech it's very unimaginative in direction, editing, palette and story is just a randomly-cut word salad. Half of cutscenes are just boring slog with camera doing idiotic angles around Senua while voices speak complete nonsense.

Mortisfacio

Banned
I think that's why reactions are so polarized. A lot of folks are just put off by the lack of a game. But going by reviews on metacritic and Steam, folks like me who feel this way are obviously in the minority.

But you and Bumblebeetuna Bumblebeetuna both remarked on the ending chapters so I'll try and keep an open mind as start the second half.

With any luck, you'll enjoy the latter half. I thought the puzzles in the 2nd half of the game were better than the first half as well. Still nothing amazing puzzle wise, but the first couple puzzles just... weren't good.

I totally understand why some people won't like this game though and that's fine. From a cinema perspective, I've always enjoyed the more indie/artistic movies and despise the generic Marvel style formula (The Ubisoft of Cinema) so there's some bias there for me as well as this style of game appeals to my interests. I absolutely recommend headphones if you aren't using them already. Some scenes in particular just really hit for me largely due to the sound design of the sequence that really helped get me immersed in it.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
With any luck, you'll enjoy the latter half. I thought the puzzles in the 2nd half of the game were better than the first half as well. Still nothing amazing puzzle wise, but the first couple puzzles just... weren't good.

I totally understand why some people won't like this game though and that's fine. From a cinema perspective, I've always enjoyed the more indie/artistic movies and despise the generic Marvel style formula (The Ubisoft of Cinema) so there's some bias there for me as well as this style of game appeals to my interests. I absolutely recommend headphones if you aren't using them already. Some scenes in particular just really hit for me largely due to the sound design of the sequence that really helped get me immersed in it.
I initially felt the game was slow in the 1st chapter, then got much better in the 2nd, then was great 3-6. That's part of why I replayed it right away, partially because I loved it the 1st time but also because I wanted to confirm what I thought about the beginning since it was jarring and unusual the 1st time. And 2nd, because I just wanted to keep practicing the timing on the combat.

2nd time through, the beginning went way, way faster and the pacing felt great. That 1st boss fight is really good, but it hit harder the 2nd time when I had more experience with the combat and could really notice how well he fights and the subtle facial animations and details. What was a bit more clear is that most of the puzzles are actually contextualized in the story. Her main ability is seeing the world unlike other people and I missed a ton of the hidden faces the 1st time. Then the more gamey puzzles are contextualized in the story as trials. You can probably figure out what is causing the Rune blocks if you follow the story. It actually flows really well imho.

Last edited:

reektann

Finished the game, a graphical masterpiece but a fucking shit game. Press forward to win. I understand the concurrent players droped like a shit from an airship.
I lasted 60 minutes then just felt really really bored the second I had to find the symbol things. I don't think I will bother even though I know its only 4-5 hours. I'd rather spend 4-5 hours playing something I enjoy! Very nice textures though.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member

Go take a long shit and finish this game at the same time bro ... how many days do you need to finish this pseudo-game ?

Also... making a turd while playing a turd.. is poetic in many ways.

Im waiting for your review.. anything other than 10/10 goty and we riot.

Kataploom

Gold Member
The weird hate this game have is absurd, there's definitely some console warring factor into it.

The funny/cringy part of it is that most of the arguments used to criticize this game are things that many of us that are mostly into other types of games (RPGs, Nintendo and mostly japanese stuff for me) use to criticize most Sony and western games, but those are praised somehow lol.

Get your mind together people, you don't like it don't get wild on internet trying others not to like it, the ones that like this game are pretty happy and even amazed by it, including myself.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Banned
The weird hate this game have is absurd, there's definitely some console warring factor into it.

The funny/cringy part of it is that most of the arguments used to criticize this game are things that many of us that are mostly into other types of games (RPGs, Nintendo and mostly japanese stuff for me) use to criticize most Sony and western games, but those are praised somehow lol.

Get your mind together people, you don't like it don't get wild on internet trying others not to like it, the ones that like this game are pretty happy and even amazed by it, including myself.

If you notice the trend of hate for this game in this thread alone, majority of the negativity comes from primarily PS5 players. There's a pretty clear console warring aspect to the hate. Some people genuinely aren't a fan of the style, and that's fine, but the most outspoken are all pro-Sony and anti-Microsoft posters (ass of can, demigod, james sawyer, etc.).

If you notice the trend of hate for this game in this thread alone, majority of the negativity comes from primarily PS5 players. There's a pretty clear console warring aspect to the hate. Some people genuinely aren't a fan of the style, and that's fine, but the most outspoken are all pro-Sony and anti-Microsoft posters (ass of can, demigod, james sawyer, etc.).

Here we go again with that persecution and victim complex.

Let's make one thing clear here : The ONLY reason people are "hating" on the game is due to the absurd, bloated and biased 10/10 reviews from (xbox-affiliated) sites/"journalists".
This is in no way, shape or form a 10/10 game, shit, it's not either a 9/10 or a 8/10 but hey, you have to blame someone...

That, and the 7-ish years it took for it ending as a super-short, one and done type of game.

I wish you'll show the same enthusiasm come Death stranding 2 release.

God damn, absolutely zero self-awareness, fanboys calling other people fanboys...

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't...etc etc 😉

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

This works both ways. Are the same people who criticized Sony games as "movie games" now suddenly in love with this "movie game"? As a fan of Sony's "movie games" I can say quite confidently that those games are not nearly as lacking in the gameplay department as Hellblade 2. Not even remotely. So I think the criticisms here don't really match up at all. If I were playing God of War predominately with my left thumb then that would absolutely be something worth criticizing, but that just isn't the case. Here....it absolutely is, at least for the first half of the game.

Don't "get wild on the internet" trying to get people to like a game they don't like. Also works both ways.

Top Bottom