• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade II: Senua's Saga - New Trailer | The Game Awards 2021

Ozriel

M$FT
Depending on what you consider AAA: Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2, Zoo Tycoon, The Gunk, Grounded or Bleeding Edge for example.

Not a single one of those games are AAA games. How can you list Zoo Tycoon, The Gunk or Bleeding Edge as AAA games? Not even State of Decay 2 either.

The hype for Hellblade 2 doesn’t even come close to the hype we just saw for Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5. None of those are ‘cinematic games’.

You’ll see hype for Avowed, Fable, Starfield etc. that’s just how it works.

Not a single one of those games are AAA games. How can you list Zoo Tycoon, The Gunk or Bleeding Edge as AAA games? Not even State of Decay 2 either.
It's sometimes difficult to tell what's AAA and what's not these days. Some say Returnal is AAA, some say it's not and so on. I think at least Crackdown is considered AAA, but in the end it doesn't matter what is AAA and what is AA as long as a game is good (not saying Crackdown 3 is good lol).

Negotiator101

Gold Member
Yea they've always been a very efficient studio in a similar vein to Insomniac but on a much smaller scale. It's amazing what they did with Hellblade 1 on a small budget, with a bigger budget they will be even more spectacular.
I'd liken them more to naughty dog to be honest. This showing is making every other game shown so far look average, ND will as always lead the way graphically for Sony.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Looks absolutely lovely, but would have liked a clearer indication of what was gameplay and cutscene. Use of the hud, or removal of the cinematic black bars would have helped.

Easily getting this though. The first game was awesome.

Banjo64

cumsessed
the reason Geoff had to stress it was gameplay is because there was like 1% gameplay and 99% cutscene

I wish it was the opposite because it looked really boring for a gameplay showcase. But that’s…you (who are you?) :)

like I said, cool lighting and fire but other than that plenty of next gen stuff that looks at the very least comparable overall and better in areas this title is weaker at

I’m not too upset about the downgrade because I totally expected it
Hope the constant trolling was worth the ban (y) I’m surprised no one picked you off for your Halo trolling to be honest.

Back to Hellblade, the first one really did nothing for me gameplay or puzzle wise. I hope they polish things up a bit for the second. I’ll give it a go for sure.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I will be honest, I loved the first game and I would like to play the next.
But this is nowhere near the “real-time” trailer they showed us back then, nowhere near. Don’t pretend it’s the same.

I completely agree with you, they never are. Remember uncharted 4 was 60 FPS in that initial trailer. These target renders are never achieved BUT this is pretty damn close in many respects. It looks insane!

Loope

Is sony paying the people in this thread or do they just donate their time and energy?
I don't think you can use the shilling accusation like that man. It's usually reserved to the other party, they are the one that throw that shit around like nobody's business. Also, people complaining on the GT7 thread can look to this one thread as an example. In the first 2 pages, lots of shitposts and the usual suspects throwing lol reactions all over the place, as soon as someone mentions looking next gen.

Imagine working your ass off on a game, just to have some edgelord fanboy pointing fingers at a cutscene done in completely different environment and lighting.

Just ignore them and move on. Also, no interest whatsoever in playing this game, i don't like cinematic games, don't care if it's Sony or MS doing them.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Depending on what you consider AAA: Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2, Zoo Tycoon, The Gunk, Grounded or Bleeding Edge for example.

Only Crackdown 3 had anywhere near the budget of a AAA game.
And thats more because of development basically being restarted midway.
All in on the project as a singlular final release even Crackdown 3 wasnt really AAA.

Bleeding Edge probably cost less than even indie games.

Grounded hasnt actually been released yet.

I gotta say it looks great, but if that was gameplay I really hope it’s just some opening sequence, and the whole game isn’t just flashy set pieces. The first game had a good blend of decent melee combat, puzzle sections, a bit of exploration, and all that came together well to make a good budget-priced game.

But if this is supposed to be a AAA $60 sequel, it’s gotta improve the gameplay of the original by a significant margin, not just have expensive looking scripted sections. Time will tell I suppose.

Easily the best graphics presented on a console.

0O7wDTi.gif

kikkis

Gold Member
While geometric detail levels look good on rocks, i would still like to see non-rocky environments with UE5 preferably at 60 fps with lumen disabled. Murky color grading also tends hide some of potential issues on this demo.

God of war

When Xbox fans see God of war they claim it's cinematic qte with minimal gameplay. But when the same shit comes to their side suddenly is the best gameplay ever... hypocrisy at it's finest
There is a difference. The best example would be Shadow of the Colossus, one of my top 10 game ever. Does this game have good gameplay or an exciting world to explore? No, but it has a very special atmosphere that plays with your feelings and gives you goosebumps all the time. Hellblade gives you that same oppressive feeling that makes it a unique experience. The atmosphere in God of War is nothing special, it's just a default cinematic. If the Xbox Indiana Jones will be some kind of Uncharted 4 rip-off (god, please no) i'll be the first to admit that i hate it.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Can't see the video, but from the pics the DoF looks nice, God awful CA though, I get why some games use it but its just ugly.
She looks like an old lady in some of the pics, I think it's just the change in face paint and facial expressions though.
Light on the skin looks nice.

There is a difference. The best example would be Shadow of the Colossus, one of my top 10 game ever. Does this game have good gameplay or an exciting world to explore? No, but it has a very special atmosphere that plays with your feelings and gives you goosebumps all the same. Hellblade gives you that same oppressive feeling that makes it a unique experience. The atmosphere in God of War is nothing special. If the Xbox Indiana Jones will be some kind of Uncharted 4 rip-off (god, please no) i'll be the first to admit that i hate it.
Don't know about this atmosphere thing, I play something if it's a fun game I don't try to enlighten me. This game looks very good maybe it will be good also and I will add one more reason to buy a Xbox but outside If the game is good or not I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy. It can't one game be qte snorefest because it is not on my console of choice and when something similar comes to my console suddenly there is hundreds of post praising the awesome gameplay. Sometimes I feel people haven't seen themselves in a mirror.

Stuart360

Looks honestly amazing, the lighting and cloth physics are ridiculous. Whether it looks as good as the orig trailer, i wont judge to i see 4k footage, as i only found a 1080p version on Gamespot.
People have to remember that graphics can change over the years when making a game, and the orig demo was probably something cut together just for the orig trailer. This right here is what we will be getting in the actual game, and it looks glorious.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Can't see the video, but from the pics the DoF looks nice, God awful CA though, I get why some games use it but its just ugly.
She looks like an old lady in some of the pics, I think it's just the change in face paint and facial expressions though.
Light on the skin looks nice.
Its in dark mode, in raining environment. Facial Picture would look weird.

If you go outside on a rainy night, you will get this Picture.

We need to wait for a day light Picture. The 1st trailer, there wasn't too much rain, and everyone was In a circle, where the fire light showed their face clearly.

Watch how the npc quality is, when they are walking, vs when they are drumming. Their walking looks like the trailer we saw in TGA.

kingfey

Banned
God of war

When Xbox fans see God of war they claim it's cinematic qte with minimal gameplay. But when the same shit comes to their side suddenly is the best gameplay ever... hypocrisy at it's finest
Go play hell blade 1 first.
That game isn't even close to cinematic.

Its psychological horror simulator, where your brain messes up with you.

God of war is straight up cinematic, because that is what game revolves around. Same for tlou2. You need them in that cinematic mode, to make sense of the story.

God of war shows this alot, when you are fighting the enemies. Slightly defeating a boss enemy, will lead to a cinematic scene, where both Kratos and the boss fight (the stranger fight).

Don't know about this atmosphere thing, I play something if it's a fun game I don't try to enlighten me. This game looks very good maybe it will be good also and I will add one more reason to buy a Xbox but outside If the game is good or not I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy. It can't one game be qte snorefest because it is not on my console of choice and when something similar comes to my console suddenly there is hundreds of post praising the awesome gameplay. Sometimes I feel people haven't seen themselves in a mirror.
Like i said, not all Xbox fans or fanboys are hypocrites. Many like Shadow of the Colossus which is a PlayStation game. I absolutely don't like most of Sony's nowadays cinematics, but i like Hellblade and that doesn't make me a hypocrite, because this game has a unique selling point. The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter is another example of a great "walking simulator" with shitty or no gameplay.

But at the end of the story it's just "normal" fan(boy) behaviour to dislike stuff you can't have or pretend to be not interested in and love it when you can have it. Watch how 90% of the Sony fan(boys) orgasm in excitement as soon as Sony announces a real Game Pass competitor although they are hating it with a passion now. Business as usual, nothing special to talk about.

Raekwon26

Go play hell blade 1 first.
That game isn't even close to cinematic.

Its psychological horror simulator, where your brain messes up with you.

God of war is straight up cinematic, because that is what game revolves around. Same for tlou2. You need them in that cinematic mode, to make sense of the story.

God of war shows this alot, when you are fighting the enemies. Slightly defeating a boss enemy, will lead to a cinematic scene, where both Kratos and the boss fight (the stranger fight).
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

I wonder how many negative comments Hellblade II would have if it was a full cross-platform game and not owned by Microsoft.
I'm sure it'd be pretty close to the same, I bought the first one at launch when it was a PS4 exclusive and got bored within an hour. The people trying to say this looks anywhere near the "in engine" reveal need to have their eyes checked. The face alone has had a HUGE reduction in detail and animation quality and that's fine it still looks good enough it's just not anywhere near that original in engine video.

Abandoned the first game repetitive and crap gameplay. This sure looks pretty but don't know if I can stand all that cringe whispering again.......the bones that'll be you next

winjer

That looked very good. Even better than the original game.
But that motion blur is absolutely disgusting.

Cyborg

Looks so good but I wonder if this is how the game will play... Its hard to describe but it feels like a ''trick''

kingfey

Banned
The face alone has had a HUGE reduction in detail and animation quality and that's fine it still looks good enough it's just not anywhere near that original in engine video.
This is how you know, when a person doesn't know how lightning works.

Tell me how environment is, when this trailer is happening. Do you think those environment doesn't affect the quality mode?

Wait for the game to show day light mode.

Last edited:
I'm sure it'd be pretty close to the same, I bought the first one at launch when it was a PS4 exclusive and got bored within an hour. The people trying to say this looks anywhere near the "in engine" reveal need to have their eyes checked. The face alone has had a HUGE reduction in detail and animation quality and that's fine it still looks good enough it's just not anywhere near that original in engine video.
[X] doubt
I think it wouldn't even have 3 pages, i mean look at all the other Game Award threads, they' re not even close to 8 pages (maybe already 9 with my post) and there is some really new stuff like the Wonder Woman game. Even the winning game just has 3 pages.

Top Bottom