• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade II: Senua's Saga - New Trailer | The Game Awards 2021

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Very, very nice in-engine cinematic. Quibbles aside about it being presented as gameplay (because it isn't), extremely high quality work as usual from NT.
Nicely balanced use of a whole host of post-fx and craftily composed to limit the number of elements in scene at any given time, (very Koji Pro like in that respect) and most of all was a great little snippet of narrative.

arvfab

Banned
Go play hell blade 1 first.
That game isn't even close to cinematic.

Its psychological horror simulator, where your brain messes up with you.

God of war is straight up cinematic, because that is what game revolves around. Same for tlou2. You need them in that cinematic mode, to make sense of the story.

God of war shows this alot, when you are fighting the enemies. Slightly defeating a boss enemy, will lead to a cinematic scene, where both Kratos and the boss fight (the stranger fight).

Look, I can see why you are upset at Sony fanboys coming and talking about downgrades. I can see you feel the necessity to defend this game.

But what you wrote is just bullshit and not better than what the other side is saying.
Hellblade 1 (one, uno, eins) is at least as cinematic as all the Sony games you seem to despise, if not even more, and has less actual gameplay (not only in length, but actual stuff you can do) than all of them.

And that's not a bad thing, so no need to go full console warrior mode.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Looks like another game for ASMR lovers.
”Gameplay” looks like the first game, which didn’t have much during the hour I endured it before quitting and uninstalling without a second thought. That’s the future of the medium? Good lord, even Kojima makes more interesting stuff.

kingfey

Banned
Look, I can see why you are upset at Sony fanboys coming and talking about downgrades. I can see you feel the necessity to defend this game.

But what you wrote is just bullshit and not better than what the other side is saying.
Hellblade 1 (one, uno, eins) is at least as cinematic as all the Sony games you seem to despise, if not even more, and has less actual gameplay (not only in length, but actual stuff you can do) than all of them.

And that's not a bad thing, so no need to go full console warrior mode.
The game revolves around psychological aspect. The slow walk, the fear, everything is there to question your sanity.
That isn't cinematic experience.

The better example is specs op, where you will see the effect of your mind.

Sony cinematic games is there to tell the story, while hell blade uses the gameplay walking narrative. It's more of tell tale narrative.

I can see why people mistake the game to cinematic.

oldergamer

To the people claiming the in engine trailer before was "cg" it was not. It was realtime running on pc hardware. We just got a matrix demo that looks even better then the first hellblade trailer and i can play it on my xbox.

Anyone claiming a downgrade here is lying to themselves. If u follow any of the hellblade stuff since then we all saw screenshots of this model getting changed over time. Its just as high res as before, only difference is the lighting and scene composition. Also note that was on unreal 4.

If you played hellblade you know this is a cutscene with some interactivity, but its not the full gameplay. I can clearly see which parts are interactive, but again its not the full gameplay. Looks like its the start of a scene.

Saying downgrade is pretty dumb considering its now on unreal 5 and no longer an in engine trailer. It shows more then a few close ups of characters with an extremely moody atmospheric scene.

Xbox fans have this and some other potential showcases on unreal 5 coming. Its super impressive to see a glimpse of this now.

Despite this being an obvious crazy impressive video there will always be some sony fans that come in xbox threads and claim " wheres the gameplay" or "wheres the graphics" or make dumb comparisons to the order 1886 (sorry but hellblade 1 was better then the order, longer then 3 hours of gameplay, and only made by 22 people. The order did look pretty tho.)

TBiddy

Very, very nice in-engine cinematic. Quibbles aside about it being presented as gameplay (because it isn't), extremely high quality work as usual from NT.
Nicely balanced use of a whole host of post-fx and craftily composed to limit the number of elements in scene at any given time, (very Koji Pro like in that respect) and most of all was a great little snippet of narrative.

It is, though. Some of it, at least.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
what technical level?

the animations, world scale, enemy designs, and interactivity are all better in H:FW

Hellblade is much smaller and more confined. The character modeling is weaker and animations aren’t nearly as good. It has good lighting and fire effects certainly.

there are pros and cons to each, i don’t see hellblade being a step up at all technically, it’s doing far less on screen

and artistically it’s not even close to me personally I much prefer the vibrant tropical look over the gray and colorless vibe in Hellblade

both games are at the top of what we’ve seen though overall, but I give HFW the nudge

It had a huge downgrade in facial detail and animations. Massive. This isn’t even up for debate

I think they still managed to capture the essence of what the initial trailer was trying to suggest, and I liken Hellblade to that as well.
I’m gonna have to watch it in 4k but this looks a gen ahead of horizon in every way except for maybe animation and lead character model. The big monster looks next Gen. the lighting looks next Gen. atmosphere has this thick cg feel to it while horizon looks cross Gen which is ok because it is.

Artistically i can see you having a preference but this looks a gen ahead of even tlou2.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Anyone claiming a downgrade here is lying to themselves.
hellblade.png

Justin Timberlake What GIF

UnNamed

Banned

There is a clear difference, no doubt about it.
Skin looks like plastic in this new trailer, and eyes are glowing without reason. Materials and lighting was much better in the first trailer.

But in the end, that was a controlled scene where developers spent days to adjust details, lights and material VS the actual gameplay where you don't have this type of control.
In terms of assets, the game still have lot of polygons and effects, it looks solid and next gen.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I’m gonna have to watch it in 4k but this looks a gen ahead of horizon in every way except for maybe animation and lead character model. The big monster looks next Gen. the lighting looks next Gen. atmosphere has this thick cg feel to it while horizon looks cross Gen which is ok because it is.

Artistically i can see you having a preference but this looks a gen ahead of even tlou2.
It's really hard to compare though.One in a dark cave with barren environements and limited playability, While the other is open world more action oriented in a colorful lush environements.I think a good game to compare it with would be the new Plague tale.

SlimySnake

It's really hard to compare though.One in a dark cave with barren environements and limited playability, While the other is open world more action oriented in a colorful lush environements.I think a good game to compare it with would be the new Plague tale.
Fine. It looks way better than plagues tale.

I can promise you horizon 3 will look a gen ahead of horizon 2.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Fine. It looks way better than plagues tale.

I can promise you horizon 3 will look a gen ahead of horizon 2.
Probably, unless the studio pull out a halo infinite.Maybe we'll see the difference with Spiderman 2 Insomniac crafted a great looking open world with the first and MM so we'll see.

Markio128

Gold Member
In all honesty, I did play the original game and enjoyed it for what it was. I’d say the combat was more visceral than fun and the puzzles got a little tedious by the end. It did have some pretty cool ideas and moments, but it isn’t a game I’d replay. Most of the playtime was spent walking/rowing from one area to the next, so more focus had to be put into the visuals and atmosphere to keep it engaging. The sequel looks the same.

BootsLoader

Banned
I completely agree with you, they never are. Remember uncharted 4 was 60 FPS in that initial trailer. These target renders are never achieved BUT this is pretty damn close in many respects. It looks insane!
I agree that it looks very very good. But I think uncharted is somehow closer to what they promised instead of Senua. But in the end it’s the game that matters. I’m going to play the hell out of it. It’s pretty awesome.

Bartski

Gold Member
hmmmm that doesn't really sound like in-engine gameplay

“This deadline for the troll was really right,” Simon Clutterbuck, VP of Creative at Ziva Dynamics said in a press release. “We had 3 artists working on it and only one month to get it all done. Building out a realistic body utilizing our existing datasets as a starting point saved us a lot of time. The tech is really changing the way our partners tackle character work.”
The team notes that it took six hours of rendering per 50 frames, which was baked using 15 AWS (Amazon Web Services) clusters in order to handle the process. Additionally, in order to bring the troll to life, they used machine learning in to train the troll’s assets to pull all kinds of animations in real-time, all while maintain the original quality they produced.
“By utilizing their latest runtime technology Ziva helped Ninja Theory bring the full fleshy horror of the Troll to life in a way conventional workflows just can’t do.” says Andrew Vidler, Technical Director at Ninja Theory. Since its inception, Ninja Theory has been devoted to pushing the envelope for interactive digital content. They have continued to work with new, paradigm-shifting technology teams to uncover and create the bleeding-edge of gameplay experiences, and the partnership between Ziva Dynamics and Ninja Theory is set to generate even more best-in-class character results into 2022.

Riky

$MSFT
Being in the UK only got chance to catch up this morning, visually that was pretty incredible, probably the best looking game ever made.
Seems to have one hell of an atmosphere as well, want to see more of the general gameplay but this looks as next gen as it gets.

Papacheeks

Banned
Hellblade 2 looks so much better than everything else shown.

In terms of gameplay? Not even close. In terms of Graphic Fidelity its a looker and at certain angles are to believe its real-time. But there was nothing there that showed me anything interesting or any kind of improvement to Hellblades gameplay which to me is the thing that needs attention.

Also this game was so dark it made Death Stranding look like sunshine and rainbows.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Please don't be hung up on it as a "fault", its not. Just bear in mind when you have to execute a sequence like that, which is naturally very constrained in terms of what's going on and has very limited opportunity for variation, you can budget a lot tighter, make fewer compromises etc. Than you would in game with a lot of variability and dynamics due to player agency.

Not a knock, its just a reminder that it's more-or-less a best case scenario for what the tech and art team can do. So if/when they have to dial stuff back over time to keep the presentation consistent over a full game which will likely include sequences that stretch them harder resource-wise, they weren't being deceptive. Its just how dev works.

We've already seen this effect with the difference between the initial reveal and this. Its not a trick, you need to look at every sequence as a problem to be solved within a certain resource budget. So if like in the initial reveal you have a trailer composed of a number of jump-cuts between some simple scene-setups, you need to understand that what you're seeing is what they were capable of doing when that's all they had to do.

Its why cries of "downgrade" bug the shit out of me in many cases, the subtractive effect of the entire weight of a project as it moves towards completion is quite often way greater than what you can claw back through optimization.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Probably, unless the studio pull out a halo infinite.Maybe we'll see the difference with Spiderman 2 Insomniac crafted a great looking open world with the first and MM so we'll see.
What we have seen from Spider-Man doesn’t look as good as hellblade or the matrix demo. I think ue5 is so far ahead of everything its going to be tough to catch up. At least Spider-Man looks next gen compared to miles and horizon.

What ue5 has shown is that you can have this incredibly realistic lighting. As well as photo realistic textures and geometry. Spider-Man during the dusk Time actually looks rather photo realistic. So while the nighttime might not look as good as hell blade, I’m curious to see how close they get to the matrix demo lighting during the sunset sections. The only fear i have is that they don’t have access to nanite which might mean rendering the city might have a bigger cost limiting the rendering budget elsewhere. But that’sa topic for another day.

Right now I’d say the best graphics on consoles is ranked something like this:
1) The Matrix
2) Hellblade 2
3) Spider-Man 2
4) A plagues Tale 2
5) Horizon 2
6) Suicide Squad
7) Ratchet
8) forspoken

Forspoken is proof that last gen engines will hold back games from looking too good. Traditional rendering models clearly have their limitations.

Papacheeks

Banned
laughing at people saying it looks bad

I think you all need glasses fam

Visually its super impressive especially for being real-time gameplay. But the gameplay is hard to distinguish in a lot of the scenes, and honestly we need to see something that was not a tailored section like this is. Also seeing the game maybe in a better lighting scenario would help too. It was super dark, but then again so wasn't the original so 🤷‍♂️.

I find it a good example of what consoles can do, but similar to my experience with Hellblade its not something that grabs me gameplay wise. Same with Plagues tale, cool atmostphere, but I hate sneaking games so its a turn off even though visually it's pretty great not only in fidelity but in art design of that kind of time period.

This is similar, there's a lot to like in terms of how they are representing a viking, druid type of asthetic. But in terms of translating to something that looks appealing to play, not so much for me anyway.

That might be why I also still have not played death stranding. I want to badly. But I feel I would get bored with it?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

When is that coming out? 2027?
That’s what’s so depressing about cross gen. With 5 year dev times, we are looking at 2027 for several franchises from halo to forza horizon to gt8, horizon 2, GoW and Ghost of Tshushima 2. An entire Gen would’ve gone by.

Maybe after people see just how good hellblade and the matrix look, they will realize why i was so miserable all year. This problem can’t be fixed in a year. These studios are literally half a decade or a full gen behind.

arvfab

Banned
The main key point of Hell blade is the gameplay. Where the sound question your sanity.

Sony on other hand, especially Spiderman focus on cinematic cut scenes.

Yeah right... Keep trolling or live in denial that Hellblade (at least part 1) is more of a cinematic experience than whatever Sony has ever done.

I don't care, I will (hopefully) enjoy Hellblade 2, no matter if it's more or less cinematic than part 1.

Clearly it does not look as impressive as you thought it would else we would not have 9 pages debating. The first trailer was clearly just a tech demo/cgi while this was clearly an in-game cinematic but I will also go in the crowd that says this does not look that good. Blurry with tons of post processing effects is not somehting i'd call visually impressive. This is an indie team and just like Bright Memory they know how to hide lack of details through effects jut like the first game. Also this is not an open world game, it's very much linear so it should be easier to add a ton of details.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

You can see the point were she turns around and the camera switches for a milisecond to "gameplay mode" then she throws something and it turns again into cinematic or a running gameplay sequence. It was short gameplay mixed with cinematic moments.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm not. I'm just saying that when you're saying it's not gameplay, you're wrong.

Not to get drawn into a semantic battle, but the whole point of in-engine cut scenes is for them to appear seamlessly within the flow of gameplay. QTE events, dialogue sequences, long narrative cut-scenes or short "hero" moments are all fundamentally the same from the tech-end. The only difference is what other systems and assets need to resident in memory either side of or concurrently with them.

Always judge based on possibility for variation and user agency radically changing the sequence.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
What we have seen from Spider-Man doesn’t look as good as hellblade or the matrix demo. I think ue5 is so far ahead of everything its going to be tough to catch up. At least Spider-Man looks next gen compared to miles and horizon.

What ue5 has shown is that you can have this incredibly realistic lighting. As well as photo realistic textures and geometry. Spider-Man during the dusk Time actually looks rather photo realistic. So while the nighttime might not look as good as hell blade, I’m curious to see how close they get to the matrix demo lighting during the sunset sections. The only fear i have is that they don’t have access to nanite which might mean rendering the city might have a bigger cost limiting the rendering budget elsewhere. But that’sa topic for another day.

Right now I’d say the best graphics on consoles is ranked something like this:
1) The Matrix
2) Hellblade 2
3) Spider-Man 2
4) A plagues Tale 2
5) Horizon 2
6) Suicide Squad
7) Ratchet
8) forspoken

Forspoken is proof that last gen engines will hold back games from looking too good. Traditional rendering models clearly have their limitations.
No you misunderstood me, when I said Spiderman 2 I meant the next gen only that will come later.This one may give a great example of what next gen only means.I am also very interested in what sucker punch will make be it GOT or another Infamous.But once again I'll repeat what I said to the people disapointed at the year 1 games, it is only the beginning.

Top Bottom