• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 previews dropping

This is their 1st attempt making a bigger 3rd person game like this. If they successfully pull it off, we can expect similar-sized projects from them going forward. Sony may even buy them.

We may even get that 12v12 PvP eventually who knows.
Arrowhead is only like 100 employees. It is crazy they put out a game this polished to begin with. Also, if HD2 sells well enough, they will surely be dedicated solely to HD2 for the foreseeable future. They got Mechs coming sometime after launch!

Just admit that you don't like the game and want it to do worse than Suicide Squad.

Hell no. I have already mentioned this is my type of game. I am looking for more games like this.

I am questioning relevance of reviews here.

I mean, ideally I am supposed to base my purchase decision on what they say. But reviewers have absolutely irresponsible, cavalier attitude with what ratings they are gonna give, based on interest outrage and clickbait articles.

Musilla

JlUSgEl.gif

Hell no. I have already mentioned this is my type of game. I am looking for more games like this.

I am questioning relevance of reviews here.

I mean, ideally I am supposed to base my purchase decision on what they say. But reviewers have absolutely irresponsible, cavalier attitude with what ratings they are gonna give, based on interest outrage and clickbait articles.
reviewers are generally terrible when it comes to multiplayer games. Especially nowadays, where gaming journalists as a whole despise multiplayer only or GAAS genre. I bet HD2 will review slightly better than most just because it is not chasing trends and is fairly unique

Last edited:
I want it but I don't know if I have the time for it since I'm neck deep in Suicide Squad. Also planning on replaying FF7 Remake on PC before Rebirth...

Decisions, decisions...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
i have the standard edition in my cart at CD keys, i'll wait for reviews and if its really great ill jump on it to support.

There's just too many games, man. FFS. Someone pause the year.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Lads, I'll never say no to having fun with a co-op game (especially if playing with GAFers) but...I've found that online games can't hold my interest for more than a couple of weeks, plus, these GaaS games start feeling like a 2nd job after a while and...

My last MP GaaS title was Exoprimal on the PS5 and while I played it to death (100+ hours) I already uninstalled it with no chance of me getting back to it since I had my share and pretty much got bored of it.
Couple that with my PS plus extra expiring soon and unfortunately, it's gonna be a no go from me.

Hope you boys have fun

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
"Though, it strikes at the heart of what Helldivers 2 is all about: fun. The game is the perfect excuse to switch your brain off..."
I don't understand the "turn your brain off" bit. These games excel when the difficulty is balanced in such a way that turning your brain off results in mission failure. Helldivers 1, and I'm assuming Helldivers 2, made playing at that balance point pretty easy.

Lads, I'll never say no to having fun with a co-op game (especially if playing with GAFers) but...I've found that online games can't hold my interest for more than a couple of weeks, plus, these GaaS games start feeling like a 2nd job after a while and...

My last MP GaaS title was Exoprimal on the PS5 and while I played it to death (100+ hours) I already uninstalled it with no chance of me getting back to it since I had my share and pretty much got bored of it.
Couple that with my PS plus extra expiring soon and unfortunately, it's gonna be a no go from me.

Hope you boys have fun
A multiplayer game isn't automatically mediocre if it only holds "100 hours" of your attention. That is the problem with the GAAS landscape. It sounds like you easily got your money's worth with Exoprimal but are still disappointed. Some games, even multiplayer games, you play for a few weeks and then you move on. That is ok, lol. Not everything needs to be a Fortnite or Apex Legends

fart town usa

Gold Member
Looks like great coop fun. Definitely interested but 2024 is already shaping up to be an absolute juggernaut so I have to plan accordingly.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Getting it day 1, but the camera bugs me. It seems like it's still a 3/4 overhead game and they just zoomed the camera as far in as they could.

marquimvfs

If I had a PS5, probably would buy it. First one were a joy both on ps3 and 4. Playthe hell out of it with my wife. The sad part is that the camera bugs her, she's not very good at, lets say, pure shooters.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Not at all. The 1st game -- while may not be for you -- is far from overrated. It is quite good in almost every aspect, and gamers love it.

4IerTLP.jpg
I had a lot of fun playing local splitscreen with my kids even though we were constantly killing each other, running over each other, forgetting the controls and blowing everyone up with a grenade as soon as we spawned, dropping stuff on each other, stepping on each other with giant mechs, forgetting how to reload etc etc.
We probably only completed a handful of missions and most of those were thanks to some poor soul spawning into our game.

Last edited:
Well, Suicide Squad did dipped below that.

It has brand new gameplay system, AAA polish etc.

But both Rocksteady and Arkane are prolific developers and their games are step up over generic stuff.

What this game is doing that deserves to be rated higher??
I'm going to take your post seriously.

It is clear that the character movement and gameplay in SS aren't the problem, but it's a great system surrounded by badly designed missions and enemies. As stated in the review thread for SS, the enemy design and enemy encounter design are both the things hindering SS from being a better game.

• The enemies in SS barely move around compared to the player character to the point where some of them are stationary.
  • There are only a few enemy types in the game.
  • The city itself feels too empty even considering the circumstances.
  • The bosses in the game all have a moveset of 3-4 moves and use them on repeat with zero strategy or change.
  • One important late game boss literally has the exact same moveset as another boss you fight earlier in the game even though this is literally an entirely different person.

What you essentially have with SS is a game where the character movement/gameplay is attempting to carry for everything else that's lacking in the game that feels severely undercooked, thus explaining the reviews.

The only thing I can't explain with reviews is how Redfall's score comes so close to SS, so I agree with people here that something is off with Redfall's critiques. Part of the difference I suspect with not only Redfall but also with Helldivers is expectation. Rocksteady had almost a decade of cancelled projects, rewrites, dev changes, etc. to the point where everyone thought they were a dead studio. They come back after a long hiatus, and this is what they have to show for it.

I don't know about you, but I don't have many expectations with Helldivers 2 except for it to be a fun video game. HD 1 was a fun romp and it knew exactly what it wanted to be and achieved that. That's what I expect from HD 2. Something I worry about are Destiny fans seeing the cool armor and capes and thinking this game is trying to be a competitor. Thankfully, I haven't seen that type of discourse online, so I think Helldivers 2 is in the clear on that front.

Also second worry, HD 2 has bad marketing. It is a gamers' game. You can tell because there is barely any cinematic flair and you're just shooting things and blowing shit up. However, knowing how Helldivers 1 was, there will be some deeper gameplay here. Therefore, Sony has no idea how to market this game and they just keep mashing clips together of creatures and stuff blowing up. The problem is that it makes this look like a nice looking B-game when I presume it probably has an AA or AAA budget.

This State of Play trailer should have been a slice of the game like Rise of the Ronin, showing hints of it's systems and complexities. Instead they teased a Metal Gear mech to say 'look how cool this is'. Again, gamers' game, bad marketing.

skit_data

Previews sound way more positive than I expected.
I haven't played the original game but it feels like Playstation haven't found a good angle on how to show its strengths. Performance being good is a big one, it looked pretty bad at times in the earlier trailers

BlackTron

With both this and Warhammer SM2 coming out we really went from 0 to 120 on Starship Troopers/Starcraft type action games overnight...which is something I felt a void over ever since SC Ghost got cancelled.

I mean they've probably been working on it since 2016. 8 years is more than enough time to make a great game. Seems like Sony let them work at their own pace.
One of my biggest concerns about HD2 was that Arrowhead is not a part of Playstation studios. Wouldn't Sony of Bought Arrowhead if they thought it would be good? I guess the people leading Arrowhead had great confidence in themselves, because if this game launches well, there is a lot more money to potentially be made for them in the future

Last edited:
Top Bottom