• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellena Taylor (Voice of Bayonetta) Describes How She was Offered only $4,000 USD to Voice Her Again in Bayonetta 3.

Considering she has voiced the character for a decade and was screwed over and insulted in their offer to continue as the character, I understand her voicing her frustration on the situation. What don't YOU get about a person reacting in such a manner? I'm not justifying any calls for boycott or anything just that she is pissed, rightfully so.
For a decade? That's just being disingenuous.
She admitted in a video that I've posted in this very thread that her recording sessions for Bayonetta 1 and 2 took only four days (four four shifts) each, so calling that voicing a character for a decade is over exaggerating.
Even if you throw that one Bayonetta movie in things wouldn't change.

And if you're assuming that she's in the right in this drama when we still don't have a full and clear picture of the whole situation; she broke the NDA but still won't spill the whole beans? That makes everything she said questionable.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Kind of funny for westerners to think a dude making a game in Japan gives two thoughts to an American VA that is in no way iconic to the role.
Hellena Taylor is British and Bayonetta was all English voice acting even in the Japanese release. There was no "Japanese cast" until the Bloody Fate anime came out. She's been Bayonetta since 2009. Iconic to the role is kinda her status at this point or was.

Arachnid

And said nothing. And proceeded to say that he will say nothing. And that he will block anyone that asks for him to say something.

Probably more to the story but that story will never be told.
I wouldn't say nothing. He's clearly saying that the situation is being misrepresented in some way without giving details.

Hopefully we get the full story eventually, but you're right in that we probably wont. I doubt he cares enough to go into detail.

Hellena Taylor is British and Bayonetta was all English voice acting even in the Japanese release. There was no "Japanese cast" until the Bloody Fate anime came out. She's been Bayonetta since 2009. Iconic to the role is kinda her status at this point or was.
When I say "western" I mean more from Kamiya's POV, not the US. He probably doesn't see the UK as any different. All english users to be blocked.

Interesting tidbit about the original release having no Japanese voice actors until later though. I don't think I've ever played a J game that only had English voice actors. I stand corrected on that one

Last edited:

Kilau

Nah, he has always blocked English users. I doubt he's blocking specifically because of this fiasco. It just looks like it because the only people who care about this change are those who play the game in English. Kind of funny for westerners to think a dude making a game in Japan gives two thoughts to an American VA that is in no way iconic to the role. Even Kojima ended up doing Hayter dirty.
Apparently if you block a lot of accounts in a short time frame it triggers the system for unusual activity.

Given his rules and the probable massive influx of people tweeting at him in English or anger yeah I can see him blocking a lot.

Gambit2483

For a decade? That's just being disingenuous.
She admitted in a video that I've posted in this very thread that her recording sessions for Bayonetta 1 and 2 took only four days (four four shifts) each, so calling that voicing a character for a decade is over exaggerating.
Even if you throw that one Bayonetta movie in things wouldn't change.

And if you're assuming that she's in the right in this drama when we still don't have a full and clear picture of the whole situation; she broke the NDA but still won't spill the whole beans? That makes everything she said questionable.
Now you're arguing just to be contrary...NDA?? Bro 😂 I'm not gonna argue why it's justifiable to be upset over getting screwed.
QrEZJfI.gif

daveonezero

Banned
How much per hour?

Who and what roles get paid more per hour?

Good for her as she is able to refuse work while most people in the US can’t make $4000 in a month and if they do have had most of their wealth decimated by inflation.

Am I supposed to be outraged?

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I wonder what Jennifer Hale earned for bayonets 3?

when marketing and budgeting they clearly didn’t think the returning voice actor was that important.

Should she get more yes, but a company has every right to not use you.

Very proud of her for doing this. Shame their asses. I definitely won't be supporting the game. This is disgraceful. I pray Microsoft never works with Platinum Games again. If they do, that's one game I sure as hell won't be supporting. Whoever is directly responsible, be it, Nintendo, Platinum, I think the buck stops with Platinum as definitely having the means to pay her better than that.

Nintendo should be similarly ashamed but probably aren't. As for work, she'll definitely be receiving tons of it now. Unfortunately, they'll be using that NDA to come after her income. If they have any shame they won't come after her, but something tells me they won't let her off.

Fnord

Pretty fucked…Nintendo is probably thinking most don’t even care about the voice and hardcore fans would buy it anyways. They’re not thinking long term, of the legacy of the series.
In general, Nintendo is correct. Most people don't care. And when I first saw this story, I didn't really care. But I was assuming that the pay was something WELL north of $4000. $4K for voicing an entire video game is ridiculous. I'd be shocked if that even approached minimum wage in the US. $4K isn't even worth showing up for.

nikolino840

How much per hour?

Good for her as she is able to refuse work while most people in the US can’t make $4000 in a month and if they do have had most of their wealth decimated by inflation.

Happen when someone achieve a professional role in the jobs world...if you want that name you pay...or you use some recent graduate or an intern..

I met a thermohydraulic engineer with whom I had a chat and he told me that for less than 6000 € a month he did not accept jobs.

PJX

Nintendo got publishing rights somehow. I just refuse to believe that their offering couldn’t be topped.
Because you won't get major 3rd party companies going after the IP of other majority third party companies unless the company is up for sale.

So turns out Hale herself is under union and receives set wages. It's not that. That really just leaves two scenarios (both of which point towards Platinum wanting to replace her as voice actress themselves). Either they truly just didn't like he work as the character and wanted to go for a different delivery or she's difficult to work with. Nothing else really makes sense now.
I can't pretend to know how these things work, but like, Hale was not credited for Samus' grunts and often these people go uncredited or they change their names to get around Unions for projects. Laura Bailey is a big name now, but Funimation still somehow got her back to reprise some role she played in the Fruit Baskets anime. I doubt Funimation opened up the wallet big for that. I imagine it was a combination of the role being something Laura was passionate and nostalgic about, and working out a deal with Funimation that was acceptable to both parties. Troy Baker, also now a big name but used to be a prolific game/anime VO, implied that he was willing to be flexible to reprise his role as Yuri for the Tales of Vesperia remaster, but Bandai Namco simply didn't ask him (likely assumed he would cost too much).

Add to that, Jenna Cox, who's basically Britain's Hollywood star, who played Melia in the Wii version of Xenoblade Chronicles, looking for any small job she can, before she hit the jack pot with Doctor Who. Nintendo still got her back for the Switch games. How? I dunno what deal they got behind the scenes, but I imagine it was something they worked out for both parties and she was willing to take something small for the fans she appeased several years ago. I doubt Nintendo payed big for the smaller than Bayonetta role to be reprised, even if Xenoblade is the bigger, more popular game. With Hellena, the two parties couldn't find an agreeable deal, and I can't say I know what that deal really comprised of. I mean, an on-going theory with Bayonetta 3 is that the Bayo we play as is the grown up version of the little girl from the first game, and this title will deal with crazy multiverse crap that's infested pop culture these days, so maybe Hellena's lines were going to be limited for that reason. I don't know.

Rejection is a BIG part of the VO world, and I imagine having your sole defining role looked at as low value (hence low compensation) and taken from you (recasted) would be a pretty big blow to the feels. But you can't settle your life on one role in this business, much less one with such a limited appeal to internet savvies. Bayonetta ain't Batman or Joker, or even Solid Snake. Bayonetta's sales are closer aligned to the Atelier series (okay, maybe a bit better than that WW). Astral Chain, Platinum's other Nintendo game, has been far more succesful than Bayonetta. The lady needs to pull up her boot straps and find new roles and flex her talents. She's now shot her Bayonetta chances on the foot. That role's gone now. I do wish her luck for her future, something she should think more about now, and less about her Bayo gripes.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

She called for a boycott completely disregarding all the workers who have a stake in the game's success and have nothing to do with the decision to hire or compensate her what she feels she deserves for the role. Low character behavior. Entitlement that I see prevalent in Western society today and the default to weaponize social media when certain demographics of individuals do not get their way.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

How much per hour?

Yes. Yes you are.

/sarcasm

But seriously...
- Without knowing how many lines were recorded, this means nothing.
- Without knowing typical VA payscale, this means nothing.

People see $4k and think it's nothing... but this isn't a job that is year round nor is it even continuous 40 hours/week for a month straight.

Besides Platinum Games is a cheap studio by nature, so not sure why some of you guys are acting flabbergasted.

Last edited:
I was lowballed on a contract job one time a few years ago. Put in a ton of work, and my unique expertise in contemporary art installations worth 10’s of millions of dollars was disregarded for petty reasons by the client (one of the richest families in the world). I took my lumps, and next time shifted my negotiation strategy and came out with a significantly better outcome for the next job. Sometimes you get shafted, but you readjust and keep selling your assets as best as you can. Not everything is fair.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
The number of people here who place a couple of hours of voice work above the actual pain, sweat and tears put in by all of the development crew is tragic.

She didn't create the character. She didn't create the story or lore. She didn't design any of the game mechanics. She didn't create any of the art. She didn't spend years laboring over the code.

She did absolutely bugger all in comparison to the people who she's now placing herself above and trying to ruin because of her own misplaced sense of importance. Your game is the product of hard work, pain and very long hours put in by people who don't get a fraction of the recognition and acclaim she does for doing little more than a few hours reading lines that she didn't even write. Get your heads out of celebrity simp-think and into the real world.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

4k USD? oof. Replacing her with Hale that probably costs more? Double oof.
It's been noted that this was most likely a tactic they used to push her out, i.e. intentionally low balling her to get her to quit.

Japanese production teams will move heaven and earth to ensure their Japanese voice acting casts return but don't seem to give two shits when it comes to English voice actors (e.g. FF7R, MGSV).

• Empathy
Reactions: RNG
Shameful. The lead voice actor of a big budget AAA game is only offered $4000 to reprise her role. According to the video we are talking about a franchise that has made in the region of ~$450 million worldwide.

The director is a disgrace. Referring to non-Japanese speakers insects and cockroaches. Seriously, that guy can go fuck himself.

radewagon

This post presumes that the current information about a 4k offer are accurate:

I think it's weird how many people are fixated on the idea that the amount of work done somehow is the sole deciding factor in what an artist (or any professional, really) deserves to be paid. More important than time, I think, for an artist is the quality of their work and their connection to a potential audience.

The price for quality work in an ongoing franchise in which her voice for the character has been iconic should not be looked at in as simply a way as how much "work" (time) will go into it. She's not laying bricks, here. She is acting and she brings something that only she can bring to the role.

4K is an insult to her craft. She was right to have not taken the money. If she did, in the future, she'd have a hard time adequately negotiating for respectable pay. She also, as she did, should have called them out on their awful lowball offer. She shouldn't, however, have made such a big deal out of it. She's burning important bridges.

kiphalfton

She called for a boycott completely disregarding all the workers who have a stake in the game's success and have nothing to do with the decision to hire or compensate her what she feels she deserves for the role. Low character behavior. Entitlement that I see prevalent in Western society today and the default to weaponize social media when certain demographics of individuals do not get their way.

The sad thing is she seems to be in denial; in pretty much all her roles listed on IMD she is some no-name character, BESIDES in Bayonetta.

Sounds like an entitled twat.

Last edited:

Reallink

Crazy how Sony delayed God of War Ragnarok so Chris Judge could heal and do his performance capture for Kratos..... while PG and Nintendo can't fork over an acceptable amount of money to maintain their lead character actress...

Sony would cancel Ragnarok and eat the $200 million dollar loss before they'd replace or fire a people of color. Every one of their studios would stage walk outs if they did and Black At Bungie™ would be on Twitter within the minute pleading for people to buy Xbox's.

Last edited:

Camreezie

Maybe she would have had very few lines to voice? Isnt bayonetta from 1 or 2 involved in timeline fuckery in bayo 3. Whos to say they didnt plan to cast someone as alternate timeline bayonetta?

Yoboman

The number of people here who place a couple of hours of voice work above the actual pain, sweat and tears put in by all of the development crew is tragic.

She didn't create the character. She didn't create the story or lore. She didn't design any of the game mechanics. She didn't create any of the art. She didn't spend years laboring over the code.

She did absolutely bugger all in comparison to the people who she's now placing herself above and trying to ruin because of her own misplaced sense of importance. Your game is the product of hard work, pain and very long hours put in by people who don't get a fraction of the recognition and acclaim she does for doing little more than a few hours reading lines that she didn't even write. Get your heads out of celebrity simp-think and into the real world.
Those peoples hard work gets them the opportunity to move up in the company to bigger and better paying roles.with experience

The experience of a voice actor or actors (time, education, auditioning, smaller roles, surpassing your peers) is rewarded when they land the big role that pays well. Platinum are trying to pay small for a big role and it's a joke

Mister Wolf

The sad thing is she seems to be in denial; in pretty much all her roles listed on IMD she is some no-name character, BESIDES in Bayonetta.

Sounds like an entitled twat.

Pretty much. When a person has gone through most of their teen and adult life getting smoke blown up their ass, especially from the opposite sex, this is usually what you get.

Last edited:
There are a few points that need addressing/clarification:

-Why was royalties NOT put on the table for negotiation?
-How much did she get paid for her role on bayonetta 1 and bayonetta 2 as a basis for comparison?
-Why is she speaking about this NOW?
-Asking to boycott a game which was 5 years in development is purely retarded on top of that shedding crocodile tears to play the victim and gain sympathy. Helena= victim, and Nintendo = Evil Japanese Empire. She is an actress-be careful

Both sides have muddied the water with biased viewpoints and partial truths.

Buy Bayonetta 3 for the franchise to survive, and for *you* to be entertained. It is a win-win situation. Father Balders voice changed from bayonetta 1 to bayonetta 2. Where was the outrage for that?

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Those peoples hard work gets them the opportunity to move up in the company to bigger and better paying roles.with experience

The experience of a voice actor or actors (time, education, auditioning, smaller roles, surpassing your peers) is rewarded when they land the big role that pays well. Platinum are trying to pay small for a big role and it's a joke

Can you not see the disconnect in your thinking there?

All of those people had to put in time, education (far more than her), applying and interviewing, surpassing their peers in order to get the promotions and opportunities. The only difference is that they put in a hell of a lot more work for FAR less recognition, praise and likely per hour pay than an entitled VA who is ultimately easily replaceable.

You're just simping for a celebrity.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So average is $37 an hour. A game like bayonetta that doesn’t have much talking probably takes like 2 work days so around 16 hours. So if she is not lying she was offered well over the average.

There is a lot of information on VA on the net so instead of being stupid and doing a REeee blind rage… go look it up. VA is a not some prestigious high paying career. You have to build it up. Get some tv series work to really make some money.

voice-actor-salary.png

Top Bottom