• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

Elysion

Banned
Not gonna lie if WB rebooted Harry Potter as a big budget HBO Max series using the Hogwarts and everything from the game, I'd be so down.

Everything is definitely more accurate to the books and the castle itself is freaking amazing!

If HBO made a HP series now, Hermione would be black, Sirius would be gay, and one of the characters would turn out to have been trans all along (maybe Draco lol). Oh, and there would definitely be flashbacks showing Grindelwald and Dumbledore making out with each other, TLoU style. Thankfully, since JKR is persona non grata now, neither HBO nor anyone else in Hollywood will touch the Harry Potter IP for the foreseeable future, thus keeping our childhood memories safe.

Not a story spoiler, just a big ass image.
stop-lewding-poor-prof-garlick-v0-2wuvrhteutha1.png

Imagine if the game allowed you to date your hot teacher, like in Persona 5? Oh, what could’ve been…

chixdiggit

I'm about 60 hours into Elden Ring and decided to take a break to try Hogwart's out.
I must say it's pretty refreshing. Don't get me wrong, I love Elden Ring but it sure is nice to just chill with a good game stress free.
Also I actually have been following along with the story and listen to the dialogue, where as after 60 hours I couldn't tell you hardly anything about Elden Rings story.

rofif

Banned
That little detail in the intro is amazing. Something I wouldn't understand without catching up on all movies first !

So that George guy is 100% dead since the moment he dies, you are now able to see horses. That's a cool detail

That little detail in the intro is amazing. Something I wouldn't understand without catching up on all movies first !

So that George guy is 100% dead since the moment he dies, you are now able to see horses. That's a cool detail
It's a done in a bit of a meta way because the character isn't even looking at them when that happens, but the player is.

Yeah it’s basically like:

’Oh cool thestrals… oh shit thestrals…wait a minute this is T rated? They killed somebody in the first 2 minutes.‘

Last edited:

Fishels

I’ve barely played it because of being busy. I’m jealous of a lot of u but one day I gotta just dig in and play 4 hours straight I guess

Boneless

The inner man-child in me is real. I cannot WAIT to be done working today so I can spend all afternoon/evening playing. I cannot stop thinking about this game and the enjoyment it’s bringing me.

+1, this i old man went through his working day thinking about playing around in hogsmead. The game has a lovely air to it and the world feels very much alive.

btw, anyone else playing on ps5 notices the awful dirty fingerprint lens mask when looking at the sky?
Not totally sure what you mean (the skyboxes can be weird a weird blurry+blocky at the same time especially with haze, fog or smoke), but in a similar way in the room of reliance if I get a certain character in conversation, in a certain area, every time the camera switches to me it’s like the camera is covered in crud.

I think it’s the alpha images for light motes (the floaty bits of dust in light basically) being too closely zoomed in on in some scenes and the artifacts from it showing up way too clearly when it should be kept from the camera (kinda like zooming in on a modern texture till it looks like it’s from the N64 days, just in this case it’s a translucent alpha image that looks like it’s crap on the camera lens)

Last edited:

phant0m

Boy I sure hope they patch in the option to change the flight controls to be just on a single stick (for console, I see the PC has a mod to do this). My geriatric brain can't get around the default control scheme.
even worse, you can't invert. i play with camera y-axis inverted for normal play but when i'm on the broom it's non-inverted :messenger_weary:

This game is a solid 8.5 to 9. The foundation is laid and is outstanding by itself. But needs to be built upon.

Red Dead 2 had incredible immersion due to unique animations along with the ability to eat, drink, and sleep. But the actual gameplay was sub par and stuck in the mid 2000's.

This game has actually fun and engaging gameplay and wand combat. Though it's simple to pick up it'll take a while to master the perfect combos of spells. But the immersion (other than exploring the map which is great) is lacking.

I'd like to be able to eat in the main hall, sleep in my bed and risk getting caught by the prefects and teachers when roaming the castle at night.

The lighting is also pretty glitchy at the moment and needs some patching. The global illumination doesn't seem to be working properly.

But other than that the game is amazing. I love the broom, I love the views, I love the atmosphere and the architecture if the castle is fucking MIND BLOWING.

If HBO made a HP series now, Hermione would be black, Sirius would be gay, and one of the characters would turn out to have been trans all along (maybe Draco lol). Oh, and there would definitely be flashbacks showing Grindelwald and Dumbledore making out with each other, TLoU style. Thankfully, since JKR is persona non grata now, neither HBO nor anyone else in Hollywood will touch the Harry Potter IP for the foreseeable future, thus keeping our childhood memories safe.

Imagine if the game allowed you to date your hot teacher, like in Persona 5? Oh, what could’ve been…
theres no need to make it harry potter. Just make it about life at Hogwarts.

Yes I noticed that. And I kept it on home cinema since I play on 7.1 surround sound.
Honestly the ‘home cinema‘ mix is even better than the ‘headphones’ mix even for headphones. I’m running it with a basic optical to powered DAC to headphones set-up, and honestly the ‘headphone’ 2.1 mix is just bass toned down shit, and it just dampens way too much sound behind the camera/head.

Might be a good ‘headphone’ mix for a set of earbuds you got with your phone, but other than that ugh.

Last edited:

Flabagast

Agree to those saying lighting is very instable at the moment. As soon as you transition somewhere the engine needs to catch up, and you get a lot of weird glitches on the screen in the process, it makes the picture kind of dirty to be honest.

Let's hope they will be able to patch it.

This game is a solid 8.5 to 9. The foundation is laid and is outstanding by itself. But needs to be built upon.

Red Dead 2 had incredible immersion due to unique animations along with the ability to eat, drink, and sleep. But the actual gameplay was sub par and stuck in the mid 2000's.

This game has actually fun and engaging gameplay and wand combat. Though it's simple to pick up it'll take a while to master the perfect combos of spells. But the immersion (other than exploring the map which is great) is lacking.

I'd like to be able to eat in the main hall, sleep in my bed and risk getting caught by the prefects and teachers when roaming the castle at night.

The lighting is also pretty glitchy at the moment and needs some patching. The global illumination doesn't seem to be working properly.

But other than that the game is amazing. I love the broom, I love the views, I love the atmosphere and the architecture if the castle is fucking MIND BLOWING.
This pretty much echoes my thoughts. Also not a major deal, but for a school that's supposed to be brimming with students it feels mostly empty and devoid of NPCs.

I guess you could argue that all the students are in classes, but then wtf is my character doing? :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think it's funny that the retcons JK Rowling herself has done to the series make her comparable to the woke she now hates. She made dumbledore gay AFTER he had died. She said she shouldnt have had Hermoine end up with Ron because Ron isnt cool enough like Harry. Last I heard, She was getting super butthurt over Draco becoming a famous character because he's supposed to be a bad guy. Umm, it's not binary.

The success of this game will convince WB that they need to exploit this IP in tv shows and in more movies. Fantastic Beasts is probably done, but expect a new HP tv show or more sequels soon. Their new CEO said as much last year.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Alright fams, started. Balance mode is the way to go. Good mix of IQ and fluidity. Performance looks too soft and 30 FPS is pointless when there's a solid 40 FPS mode available.

I think it's funny that the retcons JK Rowling herself has done to the series make her comparable to the woke she now hates. She made dumbledore gay AFTER he had died. She said she shouldnt have had Hermoine end up with Ron because Ron isnt cool enough like Harry. Last I heard, She was getting super butthurt over Draco becoming a famous character because he's supposed to be a bad guy. Umm, it's not binary.

The success of this game will convince WB that they need to exploit this IP in tv shows and in more movies. Fantastic Beasts is probably done, but expect a new HP tv show or more sequels soon. Their new CEO said as much last year.
You guys have this really, really weird misunderstanding of JKR. She doesn't hate woke. She's gender critical, rightfully so, but JK Rowling is as far left as the furthest left. SHe donates to far left causes, by the tens of millions of dollars. Please stop pretending she's some symbol of the right, she is the complete opposite of that. Overall, the woman is beloved, and the property is extremely popular. This game proves that. But the outrage against JKR is very online and very, very manufactured, Mostly, outside of twittter, she's an icon of the sane left.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You guys have this really, really weird misunderstanding of JKR. She doesn't hate woke. She's gender critical, rightfully so, but JK Rowling is as far left as the furthest left. SHe donates to far left causes, by the tens of millions of dollars. Please stop pretending she's some symbol of the right, she is the complete opposite of that. Overall, the woman is beloved, and the property is extremely popular. This game proves that. But the outrage against JKR is very online and very, very manufactured, Mostly, outside of twittter, she's an icon of the sane left.
It was just a poor choice of words. I was trying to say shes one of them.

Alright fams, started. Balance mode is the way to go. Good mix of IQ and fluidity. Performance looks too soft and 30 FPS is pointless when there's a solid 40 FPS mode available.
I recommend this to everyone that just starts out, but turn off the minimap and objective markers, you have an ingame way of tracking things and it's much more immersive; heck at this point I know a lot of areas so well I don't even use that anymore.

Last edited:
This pretty much echoes my thoughts. Also not a major deal, but for a school that's supposed to be brimming with students it feels mostly empty and devoid of NPCs.

I guess you could argue that all the students are in classes, but then wtf is my character doing? :messenger_grinning:

It’s mainly at night that it’s empty, which I prefer since they perfected that empty castle draft noise (creepy yet comforting), but since I keep practicing my dark arts, having slaughtered hundreds of people now with unforgivable spells, and having used levioso and depulso after petting a cat….I’m not surprised how the rest of the school wouldn’t want to touch me with a 10 foot wand 😈

Last edited:

saintjules

Regarding DF. Timestamped. Richard says at the time of recording that they would get the digital code from Warner Bros. once the day 1 patch became available. So leading up to launch they didn't cover it. Their job though is to properly assess games from a technical aspect. In this case it seems that they would do so, but to figure out how to best present it to the audience.

It was a long reply in response to questions asking whether or not they would be covering the game.

Last edited:
Ugh, reflections in the mirrors without rtx look really ugly, even compared to some last gen games. I wish this studio has a massive success with this game so that the next game gets a better polish.

Freeman76

Game oftentimes looks stunning.

No idea how that person in this thread can actually think this looks like "an early PS4 game". Here's some gameplay shots I grabbed on Series X:

52687668590_a141888d8b_o.png

52687243786_820bff8ac6_o.png

52686725517_13f916b57f_o.png

52686725612_da924ab3ba_o.png

Anyone saying anything like that either hasnt played or needs a visit to specsavers. Its so wrong it isnt even worth dignifying with a response of any kind. The game is gorgeous and truly new gen.

Regarding DF. Timestamped. Richard says at the time of recording that they would get the digital code from Warner Bros. once the day 1 patch became available. So leading up to launch they didn't cover it. Their job though is to properly assess games from a technical aspect. In this case it seems that they would do so, but to figure out how to best present it to the audience.

It was a long reply in response to questions asking whether or not they would be covering the game.

I mean I don’t blame John for his stance he just didn’t want to do it; I knew a sound engineer who had to do a mix for the ‘Macarena’ in the 90’s and absolutely hated doing it (he had to listen to this thing on repeat hundreds of times) but while it was his job to do it, I honestly thought through his complaints like: ‘why did you bother doing it if it bothered you so much?’. In this respect John just stepped away…albeit in not quite the most elegant of ways but it’s better than him ranting on about something he doesn’t like.

If they want to step away from something let them….otherwise you end up with:

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Question: what's the deal with the lockpick spell? I'm level 16, about to start my first trial, have an arsenal of offensive spells to wreack havock but I can't pick locks! I saw Sebastian use it but he didn't teach it to me.

Am I missing something obvious or does it come later?

Last edited:
Question: what's the deal with the lockpick spell? I'm level 16, about to start my first trial, have an arsenal of offensive spells to wreack havock but I can't pick locks! I saw Sebastian use it but he didn't teach it to me.

Am I missing something obvious or does it come later?
It’ll come later. The drunk as fuck professor (how did this get a T rating?) from the beginning will teach it to you.

rofif

Banned
I only just started playing it since I was catching up on the movies and then I had a little break.

OH MY FUCKING GOD HOW GOOD CAN A GAME BE !!!!!!!! I now cannot put it down.
I am level 10 and I only did first 2 tutorial classes lol. I can't stop running around the castle. It is so huge, dense and so beautiful, I am having trouble containing myself. The puzzles are easy but it's very addicting to find and collect them.
Like... seriously... the castle is so big and looks so good. How did they even pull this off.
I am playing in balanced 40fps mode btw.

The HDR is fantastic too. And I really appreciate the fact that I can have good gear and look like an idiot on the outside. I love what they did with this game so far.
Uj2bcN1.jpg

Last edited:
I only just started playing it since I was catching up on the movies and then I had a little break.

OH MY FUCKING GOD HOW GOOD CAN A GAME BE !!!!!!!! I now cannot put it down.
I am level 10 and I only did first 2 tutorial classes lol. I can't stop running around the castle. It is so huge, dense and so beautiful, I am having trouble containing myself. The puzzles are easy but it's very addicting to find and collect them.
Like... seriously... the castle is so big and looks so good. How did they even pull this off.
I am playing in balanced 40fps mode btw.

The HDR is fantastic too. And I really appreciate the fact that I can have good gear and look like an idiot on the outside. I love what they did with this game so far.
Uj2bcN1.jpg

I have seen some of the character outfits that look good outside of Hufflepuff stuff, but dat Hufflepuff gold brings out the bling (I can’t help it):
j9JVCeK.jpg

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Completely fair response. Think is DF is 100% right on with this approach.

Seems I misjudged what was happening with DF and this game and so that's on me. I should know better than to make assumptions.

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Anyone know if there’s any digital SKU with dual entitlement? I gave my oldest daughter my OneX when I got the Series X, and it doesn’t come out for that until April. So I am wondering if I buy the SX version now, if she can play it when the last gen version comes out (my account is shared on both consoles).

Maybe the safer bet is to wait for it to come out for last gen in April and see if there’s an upgrade path, that should work.

rofif

Banned
There is no hud auto hide or opacity setting is there ? I only found one for mini map
Edit: there is hdr brightness for hud. That’s something

Last edited:
Completely fair response. Think is DF is 100% right on with this approach.

Seems I misjudged what was happening with DF and this game and so that's on me. I should know better than to make assumptions.

They did hammer Gotham Knights (WB) pretty hard and the DF video dropped basically the moment (literally in the same hour of the review) the patch dropped to fix a lot of the problems they were complaining about. Not surprised they might make them sit at this point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom