• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

yamaci17

Bully was never this good haha.

Btw, the dualsense implementation is so good in this, I am having trouble imagining how it works on Xbox and pc?
The r2 shoots and stops mid way. If you press it then, you get to choose other spell. That is quite genius and very intuitive
it doesn't work at all :messenger_poop: regular vibration

i play with my trusty old dualshocks. at least i get proper old school vibrations

xbox and pc works smiliar man? you fully press it, u change the spells. to cast basic casts you simply soft press. sure there's no stop or gap in between like ps5 but that doesnt stop r2 being dynamically mapped to two different functions for full press or partial press

Bkdk

Its gonna be the biggest selling game of the year, I can't think of much else this year thats going to compete

Keep in mind, this is before the PS4/Xbox One and Switch releases in April as well
Perhaps launch, but starfield will almost certainly beat this as long as it's as moddable like previous bethesda single player rpgs.

Why does the Dualsense not work more like R&C? You could have one spell bar at half press and one at full so you don't have to move from the trigger to the dpad as often. Would make quick chaining 8 spells together much more fluent.

It's such a waste and means it is just a worse version of what you get on XSX (unless you disable the trigger tension in the PS5 UI) as there is arbitrary tension on the trigger that adds nothing.

TrebleShot

Why does the Dualsense not work more like R&C? You could have one spell bar at half press and one at full so you don't have to move from the trigger to the dpad as often. Would make quick chaining 8 spells together much more fluent.

It's such a waste and means it is just a worse version of what you get on XSX (unless you disable the trigger tension in the PS5 UI) as there is arbitrary tension on the trigger that adds nothing.
How does it work on xbox?

rofif

Banned

i play with my trusty old dualshocks. at least i get proper old school vibrations

xbox and pc works smiliar man? you fully press it, u change the spells. to cast basic casts you simply soft press. sure there's no stop or gap in between like ps5 but that doesnt stop r2 being dynamically mapped to two different functions for full press or partial press
Soft half pressing must feel clunky without physical stop there. Dualsense was really a good idea

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Soft half pressing must feel clunky without physical stop there. Dualsense was really a good idea
How does it work on xbox?

It's fine, it's just hold RT to change spells or press RT to cast. Never had a problem.

What my character DOES tend to do is chug a potion when I'm trying to hold LB and change tools so now I just don't bother equipping anything I have stock of.

Osthyvel

I wonder how many people from that REtared purple place that have bought the game and reading and writing here, than play political correct at the Purple place...

I just want to say hi to you, hope you are enjoying the game, its awsome.

SCB3

Perhaps launch, but starfield will almost certainly beat this as long as it's as moddable like previous bethesda single player rpgs.
Nah it won't even be close:

• Hogwarts is a massive IP with a big fanbase already
  • Its on Several Systems: Xbox One, Series S|X, PS4, PS5, Switch, PC (both Epic and Steam)
  • Its reviewed very well

Starfield

• New IP
  • Bethedsa has a bad record with Launches, especially with how bad Fallout 76 launched
  • Only on PC and Xbox so not as many people will have access to it

Not possible now that it's being limited to only Xbox and PC and I believe it's going to be Gamepass on day 1. It's going to sell like shit because people will just pay $1 or whatever for Gamepass instead of $70 to buy it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Also, is it just me or is the Unspeakable Curses aside from Avada Kedavra nor that bad really? Like Causing pain or making someone fight for you doesn't seem like that much of a bad thing, then again I am a Slytherin....
Curses/Dark Magic isn't inherently bad as it's entirely based on how they are used. There is some leeway in recreational uses of Imperio if consent to be controlled is offered and done voluntarily but it more or less is a Dominate Person kind of spell and it at least can be resisted. But in lore if Imperius is successful would can pretty much control that lifeform's actions completely.

Crucio and AK are worse. Given one causes physical pain and prolonged exposure leads to insanity and the Killing Curse extracts and destroys your soul.

What makes the curses bad is say unlike other spells you needed the intent to kill/torture/dominate in addition to the mental fortitude to cast it. And that there is little to no defense against them.

Most spells can just be cast without intention such as levitation or conjuration. These curses are a bit different.

That said given the Player can learn the big 3 Sith Lord curses in the franchise you become a walking war crime death machine.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Finally found a way into the kitchens via a secret "door" near the grand staircase. Amazing detail. The house elves living quarters they made for themselves is great, I wish we could go inside somehow.

Freeman76

I really hope they bring out a ton of dlc for this. It really has been an amazing experience, just wish it was longer or they had included some long term side goals that we could continue with after the story. With RD2 and Elden Ring you could easily get 100+ hours from a playthrough, on this I have put in 70 and almost fully 100%'d it, wish there were ways to drag it out more lol. I havent even used fast travel.

I was planning on doing 4 playthroughs but this is my only real gripe with the game, there isn't a lot of point playing as the other houses as the differences seem too small to warrant a whole new run.

It only bothers me because the game is just so fucking good I didnt want it to end and once the credits roll I'm pissed off it's over 🤣🤣

Last edited:
I really hope they bring out a ton of dlc for this. It really has been an amazing experience, just wish it was longer or they had included some long term side goals that we could continue with after the story. With RD2 and Elden Ring you could easily get 100+ hours from a playthrough, on this I have put in 70 and almost fully 100%'d it, wish there were ways to drag it out more lol. I havent even used fast travel.

I was planning on doing 4 playthroughs but this is my only real gripe with the game, there isn't a lot of point playing as the other houses as the differences seem too small to warrant a whole new run.

It only bothers me because the game is just so fucking good I didnt want it to end and once the credits roll I'm pissed off it's over 🤣🤣
My solution to this has been to halt doing all side quests and open world exploration. I'm just going to railroad the main story to the end and see the ending, then I'm going to restart with a 2nd character and actually do the side quests and stuff. Fortunately I was warned early on that I should be gunning for getting Alohomora ASAP instead of wasting time doing other things. I've explored the castle pretty thoroughly but I have barely touched the open world and I'll just ignore the companion quests. Let's see how quickly I can blast through the main story.

This game really needs a New Game+ feature so I can not have to do stuff I did before. I guess running around the castle is pretty fun so I won't mind re-doing all the collecting pages and shit again.

ABeezy1388

Question about the overall story of the game. I just unlocked traits so you know if it’s safe to read the below spoiler

Last night I just finished the main quest where you go to the chamber for the first time. I’m a bit lost on what’s going on and was wondering if someone could clue me in without additional spoilers?

Basically you’re a new 5th year and you losses some kind of trait for this “ancient magic” but I’m confused with this chamber and book in the restricted section and the dead kid/guy from the owlery…

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Is it me or is the game washed out on Xbox? Not read many of the posts to know if it’s the game or a glitch

Anybody else have a glitch that when you see professor fig in his class room he has strange flickering black on his shoulder? Happens everytime I see him

Nankatsu

As a Slytherin I strongly disprove of this type of behaviour. If I find anyone sneaking into our common room you will be met with swiftly.
I mean, Slytherin should improve their password.

It's too easy.

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

Is it me or is the game washed out on Xbox? Not read many of the posts to know if it’s the game or a glitch

Anybody else have a glitch that when you see professor fig in his class room he has strange flickering black on his shoulder? Happens everytime I see him

It's the game. Easiest way to see it is by opening a door and not exiting right away. Look outside. Everything is way more vivid. As soon as you exit, game casts fogus screenus on your TV.

Last edited:

Freeman76

They have overdone it on the fog, probably to increase performance I imagine

I’ve fiddled with my HDR settings so much only to come to the conclusion that it’s primarily that fog effect that is overused and far too close a lot of the time.

My other theory was that it was part of the autumn aesthetic as I don’t recall noticing at all in the summer season

Ar¢tos

Is there any difference or point for the different houses in the game? Or they are there just to be faithful to the books?

Moneal

Question about the overall story of the game. I just unlocked traits so you know if it’s safe to read the below spoiler

Last night I just finished the main quest where you go to the chamber for the first time. I’m a bit lost on what’s going on and was wondering if someone could clue me in without additional spoilers?

Basically you’re a new 5th year and you losses some kind of trait for this “ancient magic” but I’m confused with this chamber and book in the restricted section and the dead kid/guy from the owlery…
Peeves found the book under the restricted section, and stole the pages from it. Then Jackdaw stole the pages from Peeves and was killed by the knights in the tomb.

Keep playing and the story will make more sense. It is a bit confusing early on.

It's too easy.

Ravenclaw is the only house that doesn't need to hide their common room behind a painting, or behind a giant beer keg, or behind a blank wall. The door to the Ravenclaw common room is just there for you to look at. Too bad you need to be a Ravenclaw to be smart enough that you can solve the puzzle in order to enter the room. Rowena Ravenclaw was literally trolling the rest of the school when she did that. 😂

JeloSWE

I've got DS5 haptic vibrations working on PC. It's really good. You need to play with the controller wired and you need to turn off any type of DS4Windows and you also need to turn off Playstation Configuration Support in Steam Big Picture mode and make sure the Enable Steam Input is set under the the game (right click on the game, properties > CONTROLLER).

If problems persist you can delete this file and relaunch the game. ...\AppData\Local\Hogwarts Legacy\Saved\pc_info.json

phil_t98

#SonyToo

It's too easy.

It's the game. Easiest way to see it is by opening a door and not exiting right away. Look outside. Everything is way more vivid. As soon as you exit, game casts fogus screenus on your TV.

Ah fair enough. The game looks like it massively needs more colour. Would look even better then.

Great game though. Hope they patch the HDR soon then

ABeezy1388

Peeves found the book under the restricted section, and stole the pages from it. Then Jackdaw stole the pages from Peeves and was killed by the knights in the tomb.

Keep playing and the story will make more sense. It is a bit confusing early on.

Thanks!!! I’ll take your word and keep playing!

JeloSWE

I’ve fiddled with my HDR settings so much only to come to the conclusion that it’s primarily that fog effect that is overused and far too close a lot of the time.

My other theory was that it was part of the autumn aesthetic as I don’t recall noticing at all in the summer season
I came to the same conclusion, there is literarily fog everywhere. I think the game is mastered on an OLED for the average users HDR TV with a nit range of around 150-700 nit so the images average exposure level looks a bit dull on my screen. Day times could be a bit brighter and night times could be a bit darker with stronger lanterns. I've got a really good TV for HDR (X95K) and can do about 2-10x what most OLEDs does so I'm using ReShade and a Tonemapper on my PC to increase the image contrast a bit and it looks amazing.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Its a lot more prominent in Winter

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Got an LG C2 from BB after just going in to get a Bluetooth dongle and while this game looked good before - yowza does it look excellent when connected to an actually good TV. In-game HDR does seem to be dumb, but everything else looks fantastic.

. . .also working towards the second Divine Beast and I'm in full, chill and take my time mode. I doubt I'll beat this before Wo-Long and that's fine. I mostly was trying to outrun the rampage of people trying to spoil the game, but that's fine. An hour or so after work to do a main quest or a few side quests is a perfectly fine speed I think.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Upgraded the lock spell to help my B&E career… Guess it’s time to stop all progression and tour the school for side shit again soon.

My solution to this has been to halt doing all side quests and open world exploration. I'm just going to railroad the main story to the end and see the ending, then I'm going to restart with a 2nd character and actually do the side quests and stuff. Fortunately I was warned early on that I should be gunning for getting Alohomora ASAP instead of wasting time doing other things. I've explored the castle pretty thoroughly but I have barely touched the open world and I'll just ignore the companion quests. Let's see how quickly I can blast through the main story.

This game really needs a New Game+ feature so I can not have to do stuff I did before. I guess running around the castle is pretty fun so I won't mind re-doing all the collecting pages and shit again.
I suspect we will get NG+ and dlc eventually.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's a few things that I can easily recommend to be added in the first patch.

- Use skills without breaking sprint
- Add 'auto equip best rated gear'
- Add a 'add to junk' option for gear so you can mass-sell.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Soooo my save (50h) just disappeared. Fortunately I was able to recover thanks to this fix:

Except the game has now created a new folder named Phoenix, for whatever reason. So I had to copy my old save to this new folder.
If it happen to anyone else, go to “C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Local\Hogwarts Legacy\Saved\SaveGames\"
and transfert to "C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Local\Phoenix\Saved\SaveGames".

Hugare

Crazy what modders do. Apparently this will enable VR in nearly all unreal games.

Imagine how many PSVR2 Sony would sell if they have negotiated for a VR version of the game during PSVR2 launch window

Playing om Balanced on PS5. Looks really great. Like top 3 open world games, maybe only behind RDR 2.

Now that I'm fully exploring the map, I got immersed and played for 3h straight. Wasnt feeling the game during the first hours.

Still dont give a damn about any of the characters or story, but man, just walking around doing sidequests is so much fun.
The combat really sings now that I have more spells. Its very fluid and engaging.

Protego perry is too powerful tho. Just finished a lvl 18 sidequest at lvl 8. It breaks all kinds of shields.

And a kids game this is not. The sidequest was about some dude playing with dark magic in order to protect his family, but became a reanimated corpse that I had to kill. This is some shit that I would have found on The Witcher 3.

Wenting from catching some stinky balloons for a little girl to this was like:

ron burgundy GIF

Last edited:
Got a broom, room of requirement (easy access to both potion/pots), talents, and 4 spell slots. I've been having fun but all this makes it better.

I really like this Slytherin dude. Might make my character go dark and evil just for him lol.

Pilgrimzero

Combat got a lot eaiser once I got more spells and talents etc. I'd recommend to any new players to just do the mainline stuff and teacher quests until you get a few more spells and unlock talents. Probably the clothes traits as well. I think Im one or 2 main quests from that.

I kind of wish there as more of a backlash for taking Dark Art talents. Like they are too good not to take without any reprocussions

Last edited:
Top Bottom