• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Is your TV/console set to limited RGB?
It's automatic. Tried it out with full RGB and it's exactly the same.

For you guys to get an idea how foggy this game gets. Same area, one screenshot is still inside the boat harbour, while the other is just a few inches outside the Harbour.

Look at how washed out the game becomes.

pj4vF6w.jpg
Fy4sI5W.jpg

Last edited:

Boneless

It's automatic. Tried it out with full RGB and it's exactly the same.

For you guys to get an idea how foggy this game gets. Same area, one screenshot is still inside the boat harbour, while the other is just a few inches outside the Harbour.

Look at how washed out the game becomes.

pj4vF6w.jpg
Fy4sI5W.jpg

Thats the game, same for everyone.

Is the performance in this terrible for anyone else on series x? It feels almost as bad as cyberpunk. Not a big deal for me but yeah - im on the 60 fps option

I feel like they made a big deal out of Simon Pegg being the headmaster, but his role in this is just a substantial as Patrick Stewart’s in Oblivion, in which it was almost nonexistent.
Yeah but that one mission though...it's pretty amazing.

Is the performance in this terrible for anyone else on series x? It feels almost as bad as cyberpunk. Not a big deal for me but yeah - im on the 60 fps option
Same here.

JeloSWE

Fellow PS5 users who just patched: is it just me, or is the broom now turning way faster and sharper than it used to, or is it just me?

And when close to the ground, the boost bar (yellow gauge) looks like it is lit afire and I have endless L2 boost speed. Was that a thing before?
This has been an issue on PC since the launch patch. R3 has a large horizontal dead zone and makes steering the camera real freakin pain in the ass.

Certinty

Whilst the castle feels somewhat alive, far more than most other open world games, I think they missed the trick with how much the player interacts with things going on. Instead of just watching and listening it would be nice if the player interacted as well.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
About the right bottom portion of the map... I've been unlocking fast travel points but I can't get to those. Can I assume they're locked behind story progression?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
About the right bottom portion of the map... I've been unlocking fast travel points but I can't get to those. Can I assume they're locked behind story progression?

No, you can go there any time. You can't fly directly there, there's one portion you have to get off and run through a tunnel in a mountain to get to the bottom region. Once you get there, you can broom away and get all the fast travel points.

nath999

Whilst the castle feels somewhat alive, far more than most other open world games, I think they missed the trick with how much the player interacts with things going on. Instead of just watching and listening it would be nice if the player interacted as well.

Considering the scope of the game, that seems like asking for way too much.

This is how my wife plays. She’s 20h in and just got Room of Req
I'm about 60 hours in and I think I'm getting ready to do the last main story quest....just as soon as I wrap up these 3-4 other sidequests.

The most dragged-out part was finishing what seemed like a hundred sidequests for each of the 3 main "friends" in the game. I could not possibly be more tired of Sebatian's bullshit attitude.

Foilz

Banned
I love the game but man is it a buggy mess. My save game is glitches and now I can't get the unforgivable curses. 😢

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I ended up dropping the game after 8 hours. The pacing was just too much of a slog. I think I had a total of 30 minutes of combat in 8 hours ? I was beyond over leveled, gear to the eyeballs, etc.

It’s great I could explore as much as it let me, and it gave you rewards for doing so, but the game wore on me hyper fast to keep grabbing flying papers, and Batman scan every 2 feet to inspect a thing I skip all the lore on. The “side quests” so far were just beyond dull.

I liked the story and where it was headed, but I really wanted more of the combat. My buddy said the last 30% of the game is just overloaded with combat so it sounds like it is a pacing issue .

I may come back to it over the summer when and if we get the usual summer drought, but it seems like this was a typical bloat open world experience.

If I could erase my mind and do it all over I would’ve just powered out story only and ignore the rest so I didn’t get burnt out so fast.

Neolombax

Im abt 30hrs in, I feel like they should have included more spells or spell customization. I've unlocked every spell, with their spell talents, feels like I've hit a ceiling. World map has interesting points to explore still, so theres that. Jusy wished there's more progression to go along with the length of the game.

zkorejo

If it's just because you declined Sebastian's offer, and don't have a save from before then, you can still get them. If you go to the undercroft and ask him he'll still teach you.
Without spoilers. Learning and using unforgivable curses.. does it effect anything? Like the story? Or ending?

Last edited:
Without spoilers. Learning and using unforgivable curses.. does it effect anything? Like the story? Or ending?

No. Some NPCs will mention it, but it doesn't actually effect anything afaik.

I think it probably should, but the MC is already out there committing bad-guy genocide on a level that would make Nathan Drake blush, so 🤷‍♂️

I ended up dropping the game after 8 hours. The pacing was just too much of a slog. I think I had a total of 30 minutes of combat in 8 hours ? I was beyond over leveled, gear to the eyeballs, etc.

It’s great I could explore as much as it let me, and it gave you rewards for doing so, but the game wore on me hyper fast to keep grabbing flying papers, and Batman scan every 2 feet to inspect a thing I skip all the lore on. The “side quests” so far were just beyond dull.

I liked the story and where it was headed, but I really wanted more of the combat. My buddy said the last 30% of the game is just overloaded with combat so it sounds like it is a pacing issue .

I may come back to it over the summer when and if we get the usual summer drought, but it seems like this was a typical bloat open world experience.

If I could erase my mind and do it all over I would’ve just powered out story only and ignore the rest so I didn’t get burnt out so fast.
A friend of mine who's playing the game now is saying the same thing. He bought into the hype and now regrets it because he said after the initial 5-8ish hours, the gameplay loop just feels like an Ubisoft game dressed up as Harry Potter. He hasn't beaten it yet, but he is saying if you're not an HP fan it's a 7/10 at best. I'm glad I decided to wait for a sale.

Bought it. Never been interested in the Harry Potter books or films but I'll try it out. It must have a good story.

Last edited:

yamaci17

i couldnt stop myself and went on to do the use ancient magic on all enemy types achievement

i made a list and was going one by one, and halfway there I killed a venomous scurrior with ancient magic and achieve popped

im happy. only two achievements reman, reach map chamber with slytherin + hufflepuff. thankfully each house has a unique quest for reaching the map so at least there's that

As a level 40 dude with not just unforgivable curses, but also powerful ancient magic and upgraded spells I feel like I could have kicked Voldemort's ass in a second.

Also It’s funny when I kill my thousandth Ashwinder and my character is like „wow an ashwinder, no one is gonna believe this!“

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Stealth is pretty OP in this game and in most scenarios gives a valid alternative to a straight up fight. I prefer concentrating on keeping a rotation of spells going constantly (the ABCs of ‘always be casting’) but it’s nice to see they have options for different playstyles.

I was just randomly thinking about this: I wonder if the stealth damage traits on gear extend to your plant minions. Trait up on stealth damage and plants if so. Watch them Chinese cabbages spread glorious Mao's red edicts as you are concealed in the shadows.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I was wondering why dualsense discharges so quickly and the speaker is on for few sound effects in this game. There seems to be no ingame toggle

Edit: wow this is sick. Mute the tv and controller speaker and put the controller closer to your ear and cast some spells. Sick haptics. Especially depulso and diffindo

Made a yt short for you. All audio is muted. Controller rattles a bit less when I hold it with both hands… but it’s also launch controller.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
We did it boys. First 0.3% of wizards in the world to collect all the things.

REALLY cool bug where you get stuck at 139/140 furniture collection so if you're in the same spot you might have to use the achievement unlocker to get that. Same for the 3 others houses via the sorting hat, or use the save game on Nexusmods. Other than that, in-game clock says 41hr, Steam says 51hr but I was AFK for a lot so I have no idea what's more accurate.

Really great game, good slice of junk food pie to chew on.

j6rWomL.png

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
As a level 40 dude with not just unforgivable curses, but also powerful ancient magic and upgraded spells I feel like I could have kicked Voldemort's ass in a second.

Also It’s funny when I kill my thousandth Ashwinder and my character is like „wow an ashwinder, no one is gonna believe this!“
Sometimes i feel all roads lead to hogsmead

Avada Kedavra does 10,000,000 damage in this game. I think it's awesome they didn't nerf it. It's "ludologically" cohesive as the appeal of the Dark Arts is that it makes things trivially easy.

But it seems weird that they didn't include a downside to it. I even used it to one-shot a boss. None of the characters comment on me nonchalantly using an Unforgivable Curse like it's Lumos. Death Eaters don't come around recruiting me. I don't start growing devil horns. No points docked from Gryffindor lol

Anybody know if there's some sort of drawback to using it that I'm missing?

Top Bottom