• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

Mossybrew

I had a big ol' grin the whole time I was doing that because it reminded me so much of the Sheogorath questline from Skyrim.

I just wish the reward for finishing it was something a bit more substantial than what we get. By the time we reach the point we can do this quest, money is not too big of an issue anymore. Or at least wasn't in my playthrough.
You get the shopkeep outfit, and Im all about wizard dress up so any unique gear rewards are well worth it imo.

7Da1ypg.jpg

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I’ve played this game for quite a bit now and I think I’m ready to beat it and be done with it. It’s a very well made game and very good, but at the end of the day still suffers from the same issues 99% of open world games suffer from. To make it open world and bigger it needs to be watered down in certain areas. And I’ve had my fill of exploring and collecting, especially since all the gear looks the same. If there was some unique awesome stuff to get, I’d be more willing to go out looking, but open world games rarely have stuff like that these days. Think I’m gonna race to the finish line and get to my other games. I’ve had quite a good time with it though.

raduque

Not sure what the newest patch did, but my game is running significantly better than it was. Maybe it's just because I've been almost everywhere in the world, but with RTX off and all settings Ultra, 1080p Native (TAA upsampling) and in general, like 97% of the time, it's tagged right at 75fps, my monitor's refresh rate.

Yeah it definitely does.

I've seen up to 21GB RAM usage (with 32GB ram capacity). VRAM usage is 11-13GB on the GPU. The game is memory intensive. 16GB ain't gonna cut it.

I've seen total system usage peak at over 33GB with a total of 64gb.

PC gamers:

Highly recommend this mod that fixes the horrible broom controls:

I don't use a controller for this game, but I figured out flying controls: While fast flying after pressing shift, if you hold W you can use the mouse to steer.

ABeezy1388

There’s a chest in Hogsmeade that when I use revelio it glows yellow. However it’s already open so nothing to collect… does this cause any issues with completion and getting all the collection chests, etc. ?

Topher

Gold Member
There’s a chest in Hogsmeade that when I use revelio it glows yellow. However it’s already open so nothing to collect… does this cause any issues with completion and getting all the collection chests, etc. ?

I don't think the game tracks if you've found all the chests. There are so many....

I think that's just a visual bug, I've had it happen on a lot of the legendary and eye chests. I don't think those chests count for completion at all though, I believe it's just the small, triangle topped wooden chests that give you decorations, and the bandit camp chests. I could be wrong though.

If you hover over an area in the world map, it will show you x of y chests collected. It also shows Demiguises which is extremely helpful, because they don't show up with Revelio during the daytime.

However iirc the vivariums also contain some of those decoration chests, and I don't know if they show up in Hogwarts count. So if your missing a few double check those.

Last edited:

Nydius

I don't think those chests count for completion at all though, I believe it's just the small, triangle topped wooden chests that give you decorations, and the bandit camp chests. I could be wrong though.
No, you are correct. "Collection Chests" are the small triangular ones and the long round ones, which always contain wand handles.

Collection Chests also always show on the minimap when near them regardless of whether or not one is using a Felix Felicis potion. (To add: Felix Felicis simply adds the same chest icon for all other large chests on the minimap for an in-game day... with an annoying af yellow glow around the edges of the map that makes it harder to see.)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I think that's just a visual bug, I've had it happen on a lot of the legendary and eye chests. I don't think those chests count for completion at all though, I believe it's just the small, triangle topped wooden chests that give you decorations, and the bandit camp chests. I could be wrong though.

If you hover over an area in the world map, it will show you x of y chests collected. It also shows Demiguises which is extremely helpful, because they don't show up with Revelio during the daytime.

However iirc the vivariums also contain some of those decoration chests, and I don't know if they show up in Hogwarts count. So if your missing a few double check those.

Ah....that's right. There are collection chests and then there are just regular loot chests. Most chests are just loot, I believe.

ABeezy1388

I don't think the game tracks if you've found all the chests. There are so many....

No, you are correct. "Collection Chests" are the small triangular ones and the long round ones, which always contain wand handles.

Collection Chests also always show on the minimap when near them regardless of whether or not one is using a Felix Felicis potion. (To add: Felix Felicis simply adds the same chest icon for all other large chests on the minimap for an in-game day... with an annoying af yellow glow around the edges of the map that makes it harder to see.)

Thanks everyone! Going mad over here trying to find a single collection chest in Hogsmeade as well as needing a single one in other regions. Same with needed one field guide page in Hogsmeade. Ugh.

Thanks everyone! Going mad over here trying to find a single collection chest in Hogsmeade as well as needing a single one in other regions. Same with needed one field guide page in Hogsmeade. Ugh.

Might be a flying book in Hogsmeade? Try looking up. I don't think those rumble like normal collection pages do.

nath999

I spent 40 hours in the game before realizing that all those challenges you do give rewards in the menu. I was so frustrated with the 20 gear gear limit but had like 12 spaces unlocked from Merlin Trials.

G-Bus

Banned
Hmm...

I'm 17 hours in. Doing a side quest for deek. Die during the quest at a boss. When it loads back up it's frozen.

Let it sit for a bit to see if it crashes or what ever. Nothing. So I shut the game down and restart. Loads right into a frozen state I turned it off at.

Restart PS5 and still frozen game file.

Have I lost the my save?

Hmm...

I'm 17 hours in. Doing a side quest for deek. Die during the quest at a boss. When it loads back up it's frozen.

Let it sit for a bit to see if it crashes or what ever. Nothing. So I shut the game down and restart. Loads right into a frozen state I turned it off at.

Have I lost the my save?
The game keeps I think 5 auto saves. At the start menu choose load save instead of continue and choose something a little further back.

Gerdav

Hmm...

Have I lost the my save?
Is it by any chance a spider boss as that happened to me? And no you shouldn’t haven’t lost your save, it keeps multiple auto saves, when I loaded one up I ended up losing no more than 2 minutes of progress.

Beat the campaign a few minutes ago at 42 hours. Did a lot of the optional activities and quests, but nowhere near everything. Really a solid title that exceeded my expectations, only making a few stumbles along the way.

Easy 9/10 game for me.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Oh really? Need to check it out, depends on how close to the ground we are talking about :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The entire point of the broom upgrades side mission is to be able to go higher while still having the boost indefinitely; the sprintbitches spintwitches guy explains that.

G-Bus

Banned
Is it by any chance a spider boss as that happened to me? And no you shouldn’t haven’t lost your save, it keeps multiple auto saves, when I loaded one up I ended up losing no more than 2 minutes of progress.

Yup, spider boss.

Don't know why I didn't think about that. Thanks.

Posting this again from the steam deck thread:

Someone found a way to get hogwarts legacy running pretty well. I am getting 50 - 60fps pretty stable with it

Omg. People....
Please remember that our Steam Deck has an INTEGRATED FSR.... If you stick to 1280x720 or 1280x800 it will remain OFF. You can check using the performance overlay....

Just set the resolution to 960x600 (like in other games)
Keep game's FSR also enabled.

On 9 or 10W Tdp limit and HIGH Setting in the game I'm getting 40-50fps.

I'm doing the same with Witcher3 : 960x600. You can't see the difference with 720 or 800p and the performance boost is HUGE.
Got it from a reddit post but it works really well.

The game will have a visual hit but it just runs way better. If you are keen about 60fps, with fsr it's really amazing how much it can help.

raduque

Installed on my laptop to test it out. With AMD FSR2 at Balanced, Textures at low and the rest at Medium, I'm getting around 40fps.

i5-9300H, GTX 1050 3gb (a Ti with 1gb less, custom HP model), 16gb, WD Black SN750 500gb, 1080p

Pretty impressed.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Finished it today. I can't do the final post game main quest because it has a level 34 requirement. I'm halfway through level 32. Any tips on the quickest way to get to level 34 so I can do the final quest and wrap this up? Not sure if I should fly around looking for quests or focus on challenges.

Nydius

Not sure if I should fly around looking for quests or focus on challenges.
Challenges are the only way to earn XP; the only reason quests give you XP is because they’re also tied to specific challenges. That said, the XP you get for completing quest challenges is much higher than the XP you get for completing things like combat challenges, so running around doing side quests would probably be the quickest way to level.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OK got the house cup! Not sure why they gated it behind level 34.... but ok.
Loved the game! It feels kinda old fashiony honest if you know what I mean

Finished it today. I can't do the final post game main quest because it has a level 34 requirement. I'm halfway through level 32. Any tips on the quickest way to get to level 34 so I can do the final quest and wrap this up? Not sure if I should fly around looking for quests or focus on challenges.
If you've got combat challenges left the Battle Arenas would probably be the most fun way to level.

I can see how playing the game to 100% would be a slog. I used to be that way. These days I play open world games and mostly follow the main quest and meander to side quests and challenges randomly. It makes everything feel a little more real instead of just doing it to do it. I miss some content for sure but at the end I usually have a better feeling about it.

This game kind of shoves it in your face with its checklists. I have to try hard to not fall into it.

Loving the game so far!!!

The more I think about it the better it becomes that there‘s no way to earn money except selling clothes. It‘s a brilliant way to regulate the currrency in open world games so you never have too much money without any idea of what to do about it. Same with the items, it‘s amazing that Hogwarts Legacy is the first open world RPG that keeps it sinple, 8 usables, that‘s it. This way they made sure that the game doesn‘t appear bloated with items. Geniouses!

Moneal

If you are just trying to hit the level and don't care for anything else, drop difficulty to story and hit the Beast dens and tame everything. Fastest way I've seen to level.

The more I think about it the better it becomes that there‘s no way to earn money except selling clothes. It‘s a brilliant way to regulate the currrency in open world games so you never have too much money without any idea of what to do about it. Same with the items, it‘s amazing that Hogwarts Legacy is the first open world RPG that keeps it sinple, 8 usables, that‘s it. This way they made sure that the game doesn‘t appear bloated with items. Geniouses!
Not sure how far you are in the game, but selling clothes is not the only way to earn money. And you definitely hit a point where you don't need to buy anything anymore but the money keeps coming in. I just (finally!) finished the game 100% and by the end I had about 40,000 gold with nothing left to spend it on.

JayK47

I hardly remember to use my items and very rarely any plants. The plants never seem to be much use against monster spiders or trolls. My inventory of spells and plants is full. I need to use them more.

I paid 5000 for a broom and it doesn't feel any different than the 600 broom. Did I just get scammed?

I hardly remember to use my items and very rarely any plants. The plants never seem to be much use against monster spiders or trolls. My inventory of spells and plants is full. I need to use them more.

I paid 5000 for a broom and it doesn't feel any different than the 600 broom. Did I just get scammed?
The plants are extremely powerful if you build for them. Too powerful. To the point where you don't even need to cast spells.

The different brooms are just skins, the only thing that effects performance are the 3 quest upgrades.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Last night might have been the first time I saw my daughter get so frustrated with a game that she yelled at the tv, lol. She was struggling with a dungeon puzzle. Probably didn’t help that I was smiling. But I helped her out and she was happy.

She’s still living the game.

There sure are a lot of juggling spells.... push, pull, lift, lift and move, smash to floor, flip over :messenger_astonished:
The only thing on my journey to 100% that I looked up a guide for were the two Depulso challenge rooms, because screw that. They were about a hundred times more complex than any other puzzles in the game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There sure are a lot of juggling spells.... push, pull, lift, lift and move, smash to floor, flip over :messenger_astonished:

Later in the game you can unlock more crazy spells and there's even abilities to chain spells, so you can take out 4, 5 enemies in a single spell at the start of a battle and just juggle the rest lol.

What's everyones completion time averaging ?

Mine was 28~ hours

And all I used in combat was glacier and then explode or slice the fools. So satisfying

Your're missing out man, Dissendo is so fun. Accio>Dissendo>Glacius>Inscendo is my favorite combo for movable enemies.

Flippendo>Dissendo>Glacius>Diffindo for single target damage at range.

Anytime a target is up in the air (which is a lot) just hit em with a Dissendo for a stun and aoe damage.

If you DIssendo a big spider during their unblockable slam attack it shoves their fangs into the ground and sticks them there.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Your're missing out man, Dissendo is so fun. Accio>Dissendo>Glacius>Inscendo is my favorite combo for movable enemies.

Flippendo>Dissendo>Glacius>Diffindo for single target damage at range.

Anytime a target is up in the air (which is a lot) just hit em with a Dissendo for a stun and aoe damage.

If you DIssendo a big spider during their unblockable slam attack it shoves their fangs into the ground and sticks them there.
This is why the game is good. They made ranged combat that is not about aiming at all and still allows for great combinations

anothertech

Holy fuck this game!!

Just rolled credits and I'm about to start another character and house.

Hot Dam! I saved the world but more importantly my house won the house cup bitches!!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I really like the combat but there are too many spells and switching between spell trees is a bit annoying. They shouldve mapped them to R1 and L1 instead. I never use the potions and items so that button is a waste and i cant even tell you what R1 does.

There is also so little of the combat that it kind of ruins the pacing when you spend 50% of the time doing hogwarts tasks. Im doing the first trial right now and its got very little combat and a lot of push pull puzzles that are just a big time sink. Surely a game with dozens of spells couldve used more than just a force pull puzzle. I hate BOTW but the puzzles made great use of its 5 abilities.

Top Bottom