• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy fuck, Red dead Redemption 2 is an incredible game

Hero_Select

3llaEYW.png
Marisa Tomei Movie GIF

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Man, the fact that this game even exist is mind boggling., This is the best open world ever made, and might just be the best written game ever.
I'm not even past chapter 2 btw, but the characters feel so fucking real, it's like they're really real. Arthur is such an amazing protagonist so far
One thing I'm wondering is how the hell did rockstar not make an 60fps patch for the current gen consoles? The game looks downright incredible but the 30fps cap is definitely an issue

Welcome to 2018. It's a potential GOTG.

Certinty

It’s by quite a distance the best game i’ve ever played.

The characters, story, open world, side content, visuals, attention to detail, soundtrack and God knows what else are so far beyond any other game. It feels like a work of love.

I will admit the gunplay is trash which is a huge shame given it’s somehow even worse than the first game and GTA V but it was tolerable enough to not hamper how good the rest of the game is.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's Wild West Shenmue. It's incredibly immersive, detailed, and loaded with atmosphere. I'm not sure how fun it is.

anthraticus

Banned
I think that mission design might even be a worse offender than the gameplay even.

No matter how great that other stuff is, it's waaay too uneven to be considered great.

Puscifer

Its the most predictable story ever made. Doubly so with rdr1 starting where it left. Open world is great but not the best. Play some good games guy.
I mean if you couldn't tell Dutch was going to betray you then I don't know what to tell you lol.
Mama Mia this is a spicy take.

That's absolutely right, because notice that literally everyone mentions the first half but start asking them why the game fails you for turning left instead of right in some missions and suddenly you "don't get it" lmao.

Also there's no freedom in ANY MISSION. Remember that one mission with the Indian guy who made it seem like you were just going to break in and steal some treasure only to murder an entire family who were just minding their own business? But you want me to feel bad when everyone gets what coming to them? It's like GTA 4 when Niko was a poor European slavik guy just trying to get away from the violence by associating himself with the mob and committing assassinations.

At least they finally got it right with Gay Tony when Luiz said "GT, I like killing people for money" at least they knew they were making a game again.

nikos

I still haven't been able to finish the game. I ended up getting into RDO for a while and probably played that more than the single player.

Muffdraul

When GTA3 took over the world, my friend had to drag me kicking and screaming to get me to play it. It just didn't sound at all appealing to me, despite the revolutionary 3D open world hook. I played it for a few hours, it bored me to death. I ignored GTA and all similar games from then on. I remember when GTA4 released, co-workers would come up to me and say stuff like, "Heh, I know what you're doing tonight! GTA4 IS FINALLY OUT BABY!" Oh, I won't be playing it. "What?! I thought you were into video games?" Oh totally. But not GTA.

Then a few years later it was right here on gaf when I noticed people saying, "PSA: Even if you hate GTA, you should play Red Dead Redemption. It's SOOOO good. And it's not GTA set in the old west, it's totally its own thing, it's completely different. It's the best game in like 10 years." So after it had been out for about a month, I decided to try RDR. And I loved it. It ended up being my gateway drug, it led me to give GTA3 another chance, and with my new mindset that finally clicked for me and I loved it. Then I played Vice City, and San Andreas, and GTA4. I gotta say, those people who claimed "RDR is not just GTA set in the old west" were completely full of shit. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT RDR IS.

Anyway, here's the thing- RDR literally changed my life and opened the door for me to enjoy a whole ton of open world games I'd never given a chance to before. Yet... when RDR2 was unveiled, somehow I didn't give a shit. I felt zero hype. I knew I'd play it on day 1, and I assumed I'd fall in love with it once I started playing... but somehow that's not what happened. I bought it on day one, but I don't think I even cracked the cellophane on the case until a couple months later. I started playing, and I thought it was OK. I played for a few hours. The last thing I remember is one of the NPCs in my camp accompanying me on a very long hunting trip to bag a grizzly bear. And I just stopped there. I wasn't thinking, "THIS GAME SUCKS, I'LL NEVER PLAY IT AGAIN!" But I didn't go back to it. I told myself I'd play it later, when I was in the right mood. Here I am almost five years later, still waiting for that mood to hit.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Eh, anything related to production is great, but as a game it sucks ass.

Its basically really good to look at and play passively, but try to engage with it in any deeper mechanical level and you'll have a terrible time.

Guilty_AI

The fuck you guys complaining about gameplay? Its slow pace completely suits story, it's great game. It was great choice from Rockstar to made it like that, thanks to this we could immerse even more deeply into the game world.
Its not simply about slow pace. Shooting is terrible without auto-aim (and boring with it), extremely railroaded mission design that completely clashes with your open world activities, tons of inconsistent mechanics, bad control scheme, tons of bloat activities that often aren't fun and don't really add anyhting to the game, nonsensical systems... its just a poorly designed game.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Its not simply about slow pace. Shooting is terrible without auto-aim (and boring with it), extremely railroaded mission design that completely clashes with your open world activities, tons of inconsistent mechanics, bad control scheme, tons of bloat activities that often aren't fun and don't really add anyhting to the game, nonsensical systems... its just a poorly designed game.
None of that matters when you have GRAPHICS!

Last edited:

jayj

Banned
When GTA3 took over the world, my friend had to drag me kicking and screaming to get me to play it. It just didn't sound at all appealing to me, despite the revolutionary 3D open world hook. I played it for a few hours, it bored me to death. I ignored GTA and all similar games from then on. I remember when GTA4 released, co-workers would come up to me and say stuff like, "Heh, I know what you're doing tonight! GTA4 IS FINALLY OUT BABY!" Oh, I won't be playing it. "What?! I thought you were into video games?" Oh totally. But not GTA.

Then a few years later it was right here on gaf when I noticed people saying, "PSA: Even if you hate GTA, you should play Red Dead Redemption. It's SOOOO good. And it's not GTA set in the old west, it's totally its own thing, it's completely different. It's the best game in like 10 years." So after it had been out for about a month, I decided to try RDR. And I loved it. It ended up being my gateway drug, it led me to give GTA3 another chance, and with my new mindset that finally clicked for me and I loved it. Then I played Vice City, and San Andreas, and GTA4. I gotta say, those people who claimed "RDR is not just GTA set in the old west" were completely full of shit. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT RDR IS.

Anyway, here's the thing- RDR literally changed my life and opened the door for me to enjoy a whole ton of open world games I'd never given a chance to before. Yet... when RDR2 was unveiled, somehow I didn't give a shit. I felt zero hype. I knew I'd play it on day 1, and I assumed I'd fall in love with it once I started playing... but somehow that's not what happened. I bought it on day one, but I don't think I even cracked the cellophane on the case until a couple months later. I started playing, and I thought it was OK. I played for a few hours. The last thing I remember is one of the NPCs in my camp accompanying me on a very long hunting trip to bag a grizzly bear. And I just stopped there. I wasn't thinking, "THIS GAME SUCKS, I'LL NEVER PLAY IT AGAIN!" But I didn't go back to it. I told myself I'd play it later, when I was in the right mood. Here I am almost five years later, still waiting for that mood to hit.

I feel like this is me when it comes to most big hyped up epic games these days. I struggle to get into them, don't exactly hate anything about them, but after seeing what they're all about I just never feel any desire to play them.

flying_sq

It's a real love it or hate it kind of game. I personally thought it was a massive slog with meh writing. I pushed myself to finish the main story. My friend has put hundreds of hours into it and loved every second of it. I couldn't wait for it to end. Glad you're liking it though, stunning looking game though.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Fun worlds buuuuut gameplay was not that goord but still much better then Witcher and Cyberpunk gameplay

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Man, the fact that this game even exist is mind boggling., This is the best open world ever made, and might just be the best written game ever.
I'm not even past chapter 2 btw, but the characters feel so fucking real, it's like they're really real. Arthur is such an amazing protagonist so far
One thing I'm wondering is how the hell did rockstar not make an 60fps patch for the current gen consoles? The game looks downright incredible but the 30fps cap is definitely an issue
On PC max settings with RT on at 4K you would cream your jeans OP. Console version is significantly uglier in comparison.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I enjoyed my time with the game. I was really blown away when I ran into the ghost train and other specters on the world.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The last thing I remember is one of the NPCs in my camp accompanying me on a very long hunting trip to bag a grizzly bear. And I just stopped there. I wasn't thinking, "THIS GAME SUCKS, I'LL NEVER PLAY IT AGAIN!" But I didn't go back to it. I told myself I'd play it later, when I was in the right mood. Here I am almost five years later, still waiting for that mood to hit.
I quit there too. Drove to bestbuy to trade it in. Sat in my car for a few minutes and decided against it because the writing and atmosphere convinced me to give it another shot.

Went back and did a few more of those missions. then a few more to end what is effectively an introduction chapter where you get introduced to almost every single one of your gang members. it takes a while to get going but once it does, once you get to chapter 3, it is easily THE best story driven game ive ever played and im a die hard MGS and TLOU fan. Arthur Morgan becomes the greatest protagonist in video game history. The game turns into this insane action oriented setpiece driven masterpiece you'd expect from naughty dog and its just one mind blowing mission after another.

It is the best game ever made.

JonSnowball

This is basically every single person who has ever shilled for this game.
# 1 - You need to look up the definition of "shill" as you quite clearly don't know what it means
# 2 - The game plays wonderfully on PC, and doesn't suffer from the "input delay" people complain about in the console version.

In conclusion, get an education and go drunk night swimming in a lake.

CZY

I think that mission design might even be a worse offender than the gameplay even.
I don’t think there’s any debate here at all, the gameplay complaints are way overblown imo, the mission structure and lack of freedom is what’s actually ass.

Jakey’s critique was flawless.

zeioIIDX

I've owned RDR2 for 5 years and only got around to playing it this past weekend. I'm in Chapter 2 and I wanna love it and keep going, all I ever hear is praise for the game. But...it controls nothing like I remember the first RDR controlling. This controls less like a GTA game and more like...a walking simulator. Everything is painstakingly slow and clunky. I just can't do it.

Why can you even jump in this game when it's so realistic that Arthur only jumps 6 inches off the ground? The fuck is the purpose? The comfiest thing I did so far was peruse the shop in Valentine. The dimly lit interior with creaky wooden floors and the occasional background cough from the shopkeeper as I flipped through pages of a catalog...it was all so relaxing and the detail in that shop was amazing.

I just can't find it in me to put in the hours to get buddy-buddy with a horse just for it to die or get lost, I don't wanna manage my fucking weight or eating habits in a video game, I'm already tired of getting my goddamn hat knocked off my head anytime I'm in a fight and either searching around for it or losing it and having to retrieve it from my horse's stash.

The controls are a bit finicky for me too, just in general. Buttons having multiple functions based on context doesn't work as well in this game as it does with other games. Especially shit like the L2 button. Pulling out a weapon has already annoyed me. Having consumables and stuff locked to one item slot that I scroll through does prevent clutter but it also means I'm basically menu-diving still with all the scrolling you have to do if you accumulate a lotta items.

I had a shit-ton of fun with the first RDR, that game was incredible. But I also remember not having to fight the controls. I just can't do it with this one. I went back to Sekiro the other day instead, after a hiatus of a couple years. I'm just now at the Corrupted Monk, I wanna try getting back into the swing of things so I can finally beat this shit. I'm positive I'm going to miss out on a supposed masterpiece by dropping RDR2, I rarely ever do that with a video game. I'm annoyed that I even have to drop it in the first place due to my inability to cope with the controls, slowness, and clunky shit. It's alright though, I'll live.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
I adored RDR2, and honestly after RDR1 I didn't know how it would stack up. Still had some outstanding moments, great writing, music, and characters. It was a great package for sure. My only issue was that there was one part of the campaign that kind of slowed down big time for me, so it felt kind of like a slog to get through. Fortunately right after getting through that it picked back up and didn't stop. Didn't change how I felt about it in the end though, one of the all times IMO, just like RDR1.

You're probably talking about that detour, right? If so, I agree.

MiguelItUp

You're probably talking about that detour, right? If so, I agree.
It's been a long while, but I believe so, yeah. The pacing around that section was so noticeable IMO that it was distracting, lol. Thankfully it was short lived. Everything else was amazing IMO, and in the long run that was forgettable and was outshined by all the great in it.

ungalo

Its the most predictable story ever made. Doubly so with rdr1 starting where it left. Open world is great but not the best. Play some good games guy.
Being impredictable is good for mediocre tv shows. It's not really important in itself, it's pretty obvious the game wasn't trying to be.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I adored RDR2, and honestly after RDR1 I didn't know how it would stack up. Still had some outstanding moments, great writing, music, and characters. It was a great package for sure. My only issue was that there was one part of the campaign that kind of slowed down big time for me, so it felt kind of like a slog to get through. Fortunately right after getting through that it picked back up and didn't stop. Didn't change how I felt about it in the end though, one of the all times IMO, just like RDR1.

I think we all know what your are talking about, but the mission right before it all went down was top notch. Hitting that bank was a crazy action sequence.

Stafford

It really is. Actually, at times I almost forget that I'm playing a game. The reactions by NPCs often is just fantastic, it makes them feel believeable and alive, and I am definitely going to notice in games now where this isn't nearly as well implemented.

This is the only game where I don't mind the controls feeling a little sluggish, there's weight to Arthur and I really appreciate it, it feels good to me. The game is extremely realistic in many things, and can be annoying at times. Like how you have to cook every piece of meat separately. Good luck doing that with 50+ pieces of meat, lmfao.

But it feels good to "live" in this world. Set up camp, drink coffee, eat something, then go hunt or go sleep. It's all very well done. Having put so many hours into it though I do notice how I wish there were more options during missions for the player. Here and there you can a choice but it's not often enough. Had these missions had some immersive sim elements ala Prey and Dishonored......sheesh!

This game is great for people who only care about visuals and nothing else. Fuck actual gameplay, mission design and controls…..graphics is the only thing that matters……basically this is graphic whores wet dream.
That's why the best part of the game is simply going hunting, fishing, camping and just watching the clouds with the sunrise and sunset. It pretty much beats every other game in this regard. It's like Hunter Call of the Wild with an expanded camping system. I'd say hands down these are the features that trump every other game ever made. Certainly not the gameplay or mission design. It's the most realistic nature/camping simulator out there at the moment.

Unless they fixed it from first release, this game had one of the worst HDR implementations i ever dealt with. No matter what i did it was always bright and super washed out, and it was the only game on my tv (at the time ) that had this issue.
They made the HDR better rom what it was buy unfortunately it's still shit. The SDR has color and lighting that actually pops.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's why the best part of the game is simply going hunting, fishing, camping and just watching the clouds with the sunrise and sunset. It pretty much beats every other game in this regard. It's like Hunter Call of the Wild with an expanded camping system. I'd say hands down these are the features that trump every other game ever made. Certainly not the gameplay or mission design. It's the most realistic nature/camping simulator out there at the moment.
The horseback riding feels more "realistic" as well compared to most other games. As good as Ghost of Tsushima was, I very rarely if ever used the horse in the game since I was so used to the way it was in RDR2.

They made the HDR better rom what it was buy unfortunately it's still shit. The SDR has color and lighting that actually pops.
Agreed. The HDR has a slight yellowish sepia film to it and seems more washed out. The SDR looks more like HDR in contrast.

Top Bottom