• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy fuck, Red dead Redemption 2 is an incredible game

I also love some of the areas people don't really pay attention too in this game.

hYRqhmz.jpg
qVh7sXj.jpg
rJP9hVb.jpg
9jjlJwX.jpg

Gobjuduck

Banned
It’s definitely in the top 10 games of all time. I still don’t know how GoW beat it for the award, that was bull.

I love westerns but I’ve tried to play this game on three different occasions and having to fight the controls made me drop it each time.

It's genuinely sad to me that when people are going on about how RDR 2 is the best game ever made (Like many are doing in this thread), they don't mention a single word about the gameplay, general game design of the controls, missions, fluid and not-time-wasting animations, so on...

Because when it comes to RDR 2, there's nothing to talk about there. The GAME part, of this video GAME.
But you guys, knowing that, still proceed to call it the best game ever made, or one of the.

All I will say, is that I hope you play more games...

And... I hate to say stuff like this, but I'm happy that developers aren't listening to you.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's genuinely sad to me that when people are going on about how RDR 2 is the best game ever made (Like many are doing in this thread), they don't mention a single word about the gameplay, general game design of the controls, missions, fluid and not-time-wasting animations, so on...

Because when it comes to RDR 2, there's nothing to talk about there. The GAME part, of this video GAME.
But you guys, knowing that, still proceed to call it the best game ever made, or one of the.

And... I hate to say stuff like this, but I'm happy that developers aren't listening to you.
I play a ton of games, have for over 40 years. Still one of the best game expereiences ever made to me.

Definitely the most intricately crafted open-world ever created with many complex systems that came together perfectly to make the immersion into the wild-west all the easier. Every dev team who is attempting to make an open-world game with high production values should study this game intimately.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
they don't mention a single word about the gameplay, general game design of the controls, missions, fluid and not-time-wasting animations, so on...
Easy, in GAF graphics has more value over everything else, you can have crappy gameplay but it has high tech graphics then all forgiven.

But boy if the graphics don’t meet their standard, they will whine and cry about it multiple threads, like first Elden Ring was coming out.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned

Nonsense. You didn't enjoy it and that's fair, but don't call others who liked it being disingenuous. See Stafford Stafford post in previous page.. that's how i also feel, a bit like Killzone 2 was heavy on movement and it felt good, so does RDR2, are there cons to the game? Yes.. things like skins gets rotten over time is frustrating when you are exploring, but the gameplay to me match the amazing world they created, the shooting is very good to me, i have no reason to pretend i enjoy something i actually don't as i will only be fooling myself.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
Easy, in GAF graphics has more value over everything else, you can have crappy gameplay but it has high tech graphics then all forgiven.

But boy if the graphics don’t meet their standard, wine and cry multiple thread, like first Elden Ring was coming out.
Whatever... millions of players played it and enjoyed the gameplay but are lying to themselves, ok.
Isn't it more possible that people actually liked the gameplay? i can speak for myself that i liked the combat very much.

Pimpollo818

I tired of playing as that Yes-Man. Good riddance. Hated the linear mission design, but the open world is jaw droppingly gorgeous. Would like to revisit this gameworld with mods in the future once I have the hardware to run it at max settings.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Whatever... millions of players played it and enjoyed the gameplay but are lying to themselves, ok.
Isn't it more possible that people actually liked the gameplay? i can speak for myself that i liked the combat very much.
Same. This was a more laid back game game than a lot of twitchy styled there that I found myself immersed in every single time I played, lost hours of time (over 1,000) in this game. When you master the systems, especially the combat, the game feels highly rewarding as a cowboy simulator.

Last edited:

_Ex_

RDR2 is my all time most favorite game ever. This is coming from someone who has been gaming since 1982. It truly is a masterpiece within this medium. The amazing graphics are just the icing on its cake of awesome. It's a phenomenal experience but I'll add some caveats: I love westerns and nature in general, which makes me biased towards the theme. I played the game 99% of the time in first person view, which I found to be far more immersive than the third person view. So play the game in first person view, with the field of vision slider set to max. Brilliant game.

I tried to play the game like 5 times, always lost interested past the first few hours but now on the 6th try I‘m totally addicted to the game, it‘s amazing how authentic the world seems, how R* made a totally believable, lively open world game. And it looks amazing too, unimaginable that it‘s just a PS4 game without a PS5 upgrade.

Del_X

The proper way to play this game is first person on foot and third person on horseback. You can have it auto-switch.

I felt the gunplay was very punchy and the euphoria animations added to it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The focus on the western theme already happened with red dead revolver, you could argue redemption doesn’t evolve the genre. Redemption 2 became about the graphics, pace is important and Redemption 2 breathes heavy.

Humdinger

I tried to get into it recently. It's been in my backlog forever. I appreciate the graphics, character models, the attention to detail, and immersion in the world. However, I struggle with controls and the amount of time investment required. Also, it seems to be another of those highly cinematic games, where you end up spending hour upon hour watching cutscenes. I rarely watch movies as it is, so I certainly don't want to watch the equivalent of 6 movies within one videogame.

Anyhow, I just don't find myself in the mood for a game like this. Maybe some other day.

Last edited:

Raven117

I liked the first one all the way up to Jack. Did not want to play as Jack, so a backup save is important.
I mean, thats the end....I don't even think of that very much (other than I appreciated the arc).

The vibe of RDR1, to me, was more "western", while RDR2 was more "southern", and yes, that matters. RDR1 felt like I was playing a clint eastwood movie in all of the best ways. RDR2, while absolutely excellent in its own right, felt more...I don't know....forced soap opera.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I mean, thats the end....I don't even think of that very much (other than I appreciated the arc).

The vibe of RDR1, to me, was more "western", while RDR2 was more "southern", and yes, that matters. RDR1 felt like I was playing a clint eastwood movie in all of the best ways. RDR2, while absolutely excellent in its own right, felt more...I don't know....forced soap opera.
I meant for "free roam" after. You are locked into Jack and can't have John back.

Woggleman

Quite honestly I found adult Jack to be annoying as hell. Anyway I don't understand why some people have an issue with the fact that so many people like this game. If it is not your cup of tea then move on. Praising it is not some crime against gaming.

Marvel14

Banned
Man, the fact that this game even exist is mind boggling., This is the best open world ever made, and might just be the best written game ever.
I'm not even past chapter 2 btw, but the characters feel so fucking real, it's like they're really real. Arthur is such an amazing protagonist so far
One thing I'm wondering is how the hell did rockstar not make an 60fps patch for the current gen consoles? The game looks downright incredible but the 30fps cap is definitely an issue
Not even close. Try getting a legendary pelt, then get mauled by a bear and lose your horse and the pelt down raging rapids.

The pelt will magically appear in some pelt dealers storeroom for you to pick up killing all immersion.

Also hunting and faffing about with your tent and appearance are boring.

Famipan

Caved in and bought it some months ago on PS4/5 but couldn’t stand 30 fps so will wait for Rockstar to try and take 70 EUR for it.
Spoiler: I won’t even pay 30 EUR for a 60fps upgrade

Top Bottom