• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hooking Up Gamecube For First Time... and Resident Evil Remake

BojTrek

Banned
I bought the Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil 0 for Gamecube and never even had the Gamecube...

I was going to buy the Gamecube when Resident Evil 4 came out in USA...

Well two weeks ago I bought my buddy an X-Box for $99.98 at Meijer's and returned his PS1 and PS2 stuff for my payback...

so with the money from Gamestop I bought the Gamecube for myself...

Well, I am going to open all boxes and load Resident Evil Remake...

I will reply later with my thoughts on Gamecube, Resident Evil graphics and gameplay... and all-around thoughts on Gamecube after an hour or so...

Thoughts?

cvxfreak

This thread makes me happy. Resident Evil fans don't seem to come here much. A lot of people are Silent Hill drones. ;)

AniHawk

BojTrek said:
I will reply later with my thoughts on Gamecube, Resident Evil graphics and gameplay... and all-around thoughts on Gamecube after an hour or so...

Should really be enough time to give you a well informed opinion about the system in general.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Have you at least played the original Resident Evil for psx? Be best to play both the REmake and the playstation version to compare and contrast.
Oh the story for Resident Evil 0 is weak ;)

Ranger X

After that prepare to buy Metroid Prime and to rent Twin Snakes.
And don't bother with Wind Waker and Sunshine even if they are given to you.

AniHawk

Wyzdom said:
After that prepare to buy Metroid Prime and to rent Twin Snakes.
And don't bother with Wind Waker and Sunshine even if they are given to you.

::snaps Wyzdom's neck::

And now for something completely different.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You're supposed to snap the lower spine, not the neck... leave him alive to see all the games he'll never play again.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I replayed REmake earlier this week and the graphics still amaze me. Probably the best looking game this generation, or one of the best

I got Resident Evil Zero for free from Capcom a few months ago and haven't even bothered to finish it. I think I'm all RE'd out...good thing RE4 is using a different formula

ge-man

Wario64 said:
I replayed REmake earlier this week and the graphics still amaze me. Probably the best looking game this generation, or one of the best

I got Resident Evil Zero for free from Capcom a few months ago and haven't even bothered to finish it. I think I'm all RE'd out...good thing RE4 is using a different formula

It took me a long time to get through REmake for similar reasons. The game is excellent but way too familiar for me feel like playing. RE 4 is another mattter altogther--I haven't been this excited about a RE games since RE 2.

mattx5

AniHawk said:
And now for something completely different.

rocky.jpg

cvxfreak

ge-man said:
It took me a long time to get through REmake for similar reasons. The game is excellent but way too familiar for me feel like playing. RE 4 is another mattter altogther--I haven't been this excited about a RE games since RE 2.

Well it was a Remake. ;)

I've played through every RE game so many times I mysefl feel a bit burned out by them, too.

BojTrek

Banned
OK... after one hour... I am a Gamecube expert... not even close to what the X-Box can do... SORRY Gamecube freakos...

RE: Remake pauses at the end of every video cut...

Example: you enter the house and Wesker talks and it changes scene to the chick talking... and it pauses for a half second... like a quick jerk... sort of like a PC that can't keep up with DVD... It looks like a quick hiccup...

RE: 0 cut scenes are much better...

Sorry. But Ninja Gaiden has really made it hard to play these games... it is just to awkward to conrol the tank...

I LOVED, I mean loved Resident Evil on PS1 and Dreamcast Resident Evl Code Name: Veronica...

But so far this is bad... Plus I have no memory card so why continue tonight...

BojTrek

Banned
I did try type C control because I liked running with the R-trigger... but AIM did not work with that setup for some reasons...

It is not bad, don't get me wrong... it is just the tank feeling is really bad... and I loved it a few years back...

I wish the guys who made Ninja Gaiden would make a similar type of survival horror...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
BojTrek said:
I did try type C control because I liked running with the R-trigger... but AIM did not work with that setup for some reasons...

It is not bad, don't get me wrong... it is just the tank feeling is really bad... and I loved it a few years back...

I wish the guys who made Ninja Gaiden would make a similar type of survival horror...

*cough* ok not the same team but ... fatal frame :p

cvxfreak

Yep, if one stays away from an RE game long enough, they'll hate the controls. Playing Ninja Gaiden doesn't help either.

cvxfreak

I don't see why people bitch about the controls in general. They're fine, they work with the game and reviewers shouldn't knock the controls if all those RE buyers got used to them.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
CVXFREAK said:
I don't see why people bitch about the controls in general. They're fine, they work with the game and reviewers shouldn't knock the controls if all those RE buyers got used to them.

Why shouldn't they bitch? It's somewhat of a barrier to immersion when the controls are badly done, and the series has had a famously bad control scheme. That said, the games review very well...because the interesting part of them is the atmosphere they create, impressive visuals, etc. Perhaps the akward controls add to the tension, I don't know. I haven't really enjoyed the series as a whole, but I've had good times here and there playing them. I think I do get their following and iconic status. I also appreciate it's passionate fans, impressive FAQ work (CVFREAK!) and am very much looking forward to part 4.

AniHawk

Ecrofirt said:
good lord, I loved Control type C. Such sweet, sweet, non-clunk.

Yeah, I found nothing wrong with Type C controls, and I never played an RE in my life before the GC remake.

cvxfreak

Musashi Wins! said:
Why shouldn't they bitch? It's somewhat of a barrier to immersion when the controls are badly done, and the series has had a famously bad control scheme. That said, the games review very well...because the interesting part of them is the atmosphere they create, impressive visuals, etc. Perhaps the akward controls add to the tension, I don't know. I haven't really enjoyed the series as a whole, but I've had good times here and there playing them. I think I do get their following and iconic status. I also appreciate it's passionate fans, impressive FAQ work (CVFREAK!) and am very much looking forward to part 4.

:)

I dunno, the controls seem too preferential. But then again reviews are supposed to be like that. Oh well, I retract my comment. :)

DDayton

Too bad Capcom didn't adopt the control scheme Angel Studios came up with for the N64 port of RE2.

DDayton

I think type C might be the "tank" controls.

I never understood why you'd prefer driving like a tank as opposed to moving the joystick, though...

callous

DavidDayton said:
I think type C might be the "tank" controls.

I never understood why you'd prefer driving like a tank as opposed to moving the joystick, though...

Same here. Type C felt awful to me. I stuck with the classic RE setup.

ourumov

This thread makes me happy. Resident Evil fans don't seem to come here much. A lot of people are Silent Hill drones.
I had never enjoyed a RE game a lot...but this changed with remake. The whole game is so polished that you cannot hate it. One of the best games on GC.
However it can't compare to the feelings that SH brought to me...I even had nightmares on nights.

BojTrek

Banned
I NEVER had a problem with Resident Evil myself... but the layoff (last game was on Dreamcast)... and much better control schemes (Ninja Gaiden,
Max Payne, Buffy, etc.) on better games made me reailize how bad a control system Resident Evil does have...

Top Bottom