• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - Gameplay Trailer

SLB1904

Banned
ASJ1Dnv.png
just realized this are different than the ones in the beach
ZFM4kEU.png

Last edited:

Rea

As far as i know you have to own the dev that makes the game AND publish it to make it first party. Otherwise it's a third party exclusive. Maybe i'm wrong, but like i said, it was more kind of a joke anyways.
No bro, depends on the contract between the publisher and the Developers if the studio is 3rd party independent studio. In Spider-Man case before Sony bought Insomniac, Sony own the IP no matter the status of the developer, Marvel and Sony trust Insomniac for developing the best Spider-Man game, which turns out to be true. They do delivered the Best Spider-Man game.

Joking or not, that doesn't make sense. Is MS Flight Simulator a "third party exclusive"?
In my undertstanding a first party game is made by a studio that is owned by a platform holder, so yes. When i google the definion of first party game it says "developed and published by company responsible for the platform on which it is released (its internal developers), as opposed to third-party". If it's commissioned work, it's not first party to me.

Seems like somebody doesn't know what first party means.
Please enlighten me.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Looks boring.
Just came here to say that. It feels like a dlc. I don't understand why I got bored of this game so quickly. The graphics and gameplay are very good, it pulls you in when you play. I guess because of the soulless and weak story, plus uninteresting and boring protagonist. Probably i will skip this one. Lets wait some reviews of users and critics.

because of the soulless and weak story, plus uninteresting and boring protagonist.
The story was not that bad, it was the narrative style and the NPC with the charisma of a dead fish and their boring dialogues. If they improve those things, that game could be a hit, because the gameplay already looks much better.

Topher

Gold Member
In my undertstanding yes, because a first party developer is a studio that is owned by a platform holder. When i google the definion of first party game it says "developed and published by company responsible for the platform on which it is released (its internal developers), as opposed to third-party". If it's commissioned work, it's not first party to me.

That's a very rigid definition and doesn't reflect the landscape of modern games development these days. If a game is published and funded by the platform holder for its platform then who they pay to do the work doesn't really matter. I think this is why some people refer to devs in this context as second party.

Ultimately it does not matter. Games like Flight Simulator or Spider-Man were brought to their platforms by the "company responsible for the platform". I think the original assertion by O OZ9000 that games developed internally by Sony are "all the same" is a bit absurd. TLOU, Uncharted, GoT, GoW, GT, and Horizon are all very different games. But attempting to isolate those games from other games Sony published for its own platform comes across to me as simply a matter of divide-and-conquer console warrior rhetoric.

That's a very rigid definition and doesn't reflect the landscape of modern games development these days. If a game is published and funded by the platform holder for its platform then who they pay to do the work doesn't really matter. I think this is why some people refer to devs in this context as second party.

Ultimately it does not matter. Games like Flight Simulator or Spider-Man were brought to their platforms by the "company responsible for the platform". I think the original assertion by O OZ9000 that games developed internally by Sony are "all the same" is a bit absurd. TLOU, Uncharted, GoT, GoW, GT, and Horizon are all very different games. But attempting to isolate those games from other games Sony published for its own platform comes across to me as simply a matter of divide-and-conquer console warrior rhetoric.
Of course it doesn't matter, it's just a terminology. Who gives a shit if the game he plays is called first party or third party? Doesn't change anything, but it's interesting. I think second party means that the developer actually is indepent, but works exclusively for one platform holder. Like Quantic Dream in the past or like some Nintendo studios. But maybe it's more complicated.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This game is turning into my Deathloop because everytime I see it my hype decreases. All these trailers just showcase the graphics, animation, art etc...

When are we gonna get the trailer that showcases "player choice" as Herman Hulst said?

In my undertstanding a first party game is made by a studio that is owned by a platform holder, so yes. When i google the definion of first party game it says "developed and published by company responsible for the platform on which it is released (its internal developers), as opposed to third-party". If it's commissioned work, it's not first party to me.

Please enlighten me.

1st party is when the publisher owns the IP. It does not matter who actually makes the game.

Case in point: Demon's Souls PS5. No one is calling that game a 3rd party exclusive even though From made the original AND Sony outsourced the remake to Bluepoint who at the time was an independent developer. 2nd Party is just some made up term by gamers.

Markio128

This game is turning into my Deathloop because everytime I see it my hype decreases. All these trailers just showcase the graphics, animation, art etc...

When are we gonna get the trailer that showcases "player choice" as Herman Hulst said?
I’m pretty sure that Hulst only confirmed that there would be more player choice in combat, which has been shown. Not sure what you are referring to.

arvfab

Banned
Please enlighten me.

It's easy: does the platform holder own the IP? If yes, it's a first-party game, independently of the actual developer.

Insomniac explained how second-party doesn't really exist, but is often used to describe games of first-party IPs developed by non-in house developers.

It's easy: does the platform holder own the IP? If yes, it's a first-party game, independently of the actual developer.

Insomniac explained how second-party doesn't really exist, but is often used to describe games of first-party IPs developed by non-in house developers.
Today i learned Sackboy: A Big Adventure and Microsoft Flight Sim are not first party games

Last edited:

It's not that easy otherwise you could find more definitions on the internet, but i couldn't find any that includes who owns the ip, just this. Or do you have a source that is not just an opinion? Second party seems to be pretty common for not really existing. But i guess it's just like AAA, lots of different opinions for almost every game. To me first party games are only games from Naughty Dog, Guerilla Games and so on. But in the end like i already said it's just words. There is no difference if a game is a first, second or third party exclusive.

arvfab

Banned
It's not that easy otherwise you could find more definitions on the internet, but i couldn't find any that includes who owns the ip, just this. Or do you have a source that is not just an opinion? Second party seems to be pretty common for not really existing. But i guess it's just like AAA, lots of different opinions for almost every game. To me first party games are only games from Naughty Dog, Guerilla Games and so on. But in the end like i already said it's just words. There is no difference if a game is a first, second or third party exclusive.

I remember that, but that's not a definiton, just what some devs say. That's why i said, it's not that easy. Just like what is AA or AAA. There is no 100% exact definition. But It's ok if you stick to his opinion, i find the dictionary definition more logical and the result is the same.

arvfab

Banned
I remember that, but that's not a definiton, just what some devs say. That's why i said, it's not that easy. Just like what is AA or AAA. There is no 100% exact definition. But It's ok if you stick to his opinion, i find the dictionary definition more logical and the result is the same.

Well, you have the statement of a dev, you know, the ones who should know. This statement was never denied by other devs.

It is also totally logical to me.
A car manufacturer might pay external companies to design and build a new car model for them. In the end, the car would still be a "first-party" car.

DragonNCM

Excellent gameplay & graphic.
Cant wait to play this on PS5.This generation started at last. First MFS then FH & Halo infinite then we will have HZ, GT7, Forspoken & list goes on.
Damn good time to have two consoles.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So by your own definition, Spiderman and Wolverine are not first party games because Marvel, not Sony owns those IPs.

Jstevenson or whoever gave that interview is confusing IPs with Studios. I would never call Bloodborne a first party game. It makes no fucking sense to conflate a third party developer with a first party developer. Thats why the term second party was coined. I dont care if devs arent using it. We used it on message board to differentiate between first party exclusives like Gran Turismo, third party exclusives like GTA3 and FFX, and second party exclusives like Ratchet, Heavenly Sword, and Demon Souls.

So by your own definition, Spiderman and Wolverine are not first party games because Marvel, not Sony owns those IPs.

Jstevenson or whoever gave that interview is confusing IPs with Studios. I would never call Bloodborne a first party game. It makes no fucking sense to conflate a third party developer with a first party developer. Thats why the term second party was coined. I dont care if devs arent using it. We used it on message board to differentiate between first party exclusives like Gran Turismo, third party exclusives like GTA3 and FFX, and second party exclusives like Ratchet, Heavenly Sword, and Demon Souls.
Bruh, give it up. Everyone and their mothers will tell you you’re wrong on this. Bloodborne is 100% first party.

Spider-man and wolverine are 100% first party because sony own the gaming rights to them. You’re working too hard for no reason for a major thread derail

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I’m pretty sure that Hulst only confirmed that there would be more player choice in combat, which has been shown. Not sure what you are referring to.

I thought, though I can't find it now, Herman Hulst said something along the lines of "Horizon FW is all about player choice". Everything we've seen so far makes it look like a Devil May Cry game.

kyliethicc

Killzone 2 was their Uncharted 2 moment.

Actually, Uncharter 2 was Naughty Dogs Killzone 2 moment.

Uncharted 2
96 Metacritic
114 GOTY awards
The first game of all time to win over 100 GOTY awards
The most GOTY awards in 2009 (by a very large gap)
Over 5 million in sales
Considered by many to be one the greatest video games of all time
Considered by many to be the greatest video game of the entire PS3 gen
Considered by many to be the first system selling game for the PS3
The game that launched Naughty Dog to become the most awarded developer of the last 12 years

Killzone 2
91 Metacritic
1 GOTY award
Under 3 million in sales
A good game

Keeping Up With The Kardashians GIF by E!

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

That felt like PR speak to me. As in someone at Sony saw they're first party count was lacking and they said "Tell everyone 2nd party deals are really 1st party. That'll make us look better."

1st party are studios owned by Sony/MS etc...
2nd party are exclusive games from studios not owned by platform holders.
3rd party is herpes.

There's no other reason to go backwards from this terminology as it paints a clearer picture than "Tell everyone Deviation games is 1st party (1 game deal) and Naughty Dog is also first party (infinite game deals).

T0minator

Uncharted 2
96 Metacritic
114 GOTY awards
Over 5 million in sales
The game that launched Naughty Dog to become the most awarded developer of the last 12 years

Killzone 2
91 Metacritic
1 GOTY award
Under 3 million in sales
A good game

That's all great and all but Killzone 2 coming from Killzone 1....it was a HUGE jump in quality. That's what Men_in_Boxes was referring to. Horizon Forbidden West looks like a nice leap as well. It's a great time to be a gamer 👌🏼

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Uncharted 2
96 Metacritic
114 GOTY awards
Over 5 million in sales

Killzone 2
91 Metacritic
1 GOTY award
Under 3 million in sales
A good game

Killzone 1 (74) to Killzone 2 (91) metascore jump (+17) was more impressive than the metascore jump from Uncharted (88) to Uncharted 2 (96), which was only (+8).

Also, Killzone 2 came out before Uncharted 2.

tumblr_luuamkObFH1r13ces.gif

kyliethicc

That felt like PR speak to me. As in someone at Sony saw they're first party count was lacking and they said "Tell everyone 2nd party deals are really 1st party. That'll make us look better."

1st party are studios owned by Sony/MS etc...
2nd party are exclusive games from studios not owned by platform holders.
3rd party is herpes.

There's no other reason to go backwards from this terminology as it paints a clearer picture than "Tell everyone Deviation games is 1st party (1 game deal) and Naughty Dog is also first party (infinite game deals).

1st Party and 3rd Party terms come from the legal transactions of buying a game.

Scenario 1 - You buy God of War on PS4
The 1st party involved in that deal is Sony. They make the hardware, license the software. They get paid.
The 2nd party involved is you. You're paying.
There is no 3rd party involved. Sony publishes the game. Hence its a "1st party game."
All games published by the platform holder are 1st party.

Scenario 2 - You buy Call of Duty on PS4
The 1st party involved in that deal is Sony. They make the hardware, license the software. They get paid.
The 3rd party involved is Activision. They get paid. Activision publishes the game. Hence its a "3rd party game."
All games not published by the platform holder are 3rd party.

Its a simple 1st / 3rd binary because the game is either published by the platform holder, or it is not.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Killzone 1 (74) to Killzone 2 (91) metascore jump (+17) was more impressive than the metascore jump from Uncharted (88) to Uncharted 2 (96), which was only (+8).

Also, Killzone 2 came out before Uncharted 2.

tumblr_luuamkObFH1r13ces.gif
Wasn't a significant enough leap to be called an Uncharted 2 moment.

There's more to it then just "our last game sucked."

Also - "Killzone 2 moment" is already used for referring to lying about one's game using a pre-rendered CGI trailer but saying its real time.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
1st Party and 3rd Party terms come from the legal transactions of buying a game.

There is no 3rd party involved. Sony publishes the game. Hence its a "1st party game."

The 3rd party involved is Activision. They get paid. Activision publishes the game. Hence its a "3rd party game."

Its a simple 1st / 3rd binary because the game is either published by the platform holder, or it is not.

And yet, calling Deviation Games a 2nd party studio tells everyone a more exact nature of their relationship than calling them 1st party.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Wasn't a significant enough leap to be called an Uncharted 2 moment.

There's more to it then just "our last game sucked."

Also - "Killzone 2 moment" is already used for referring to lying about one's game using a pre-rendered CGI trailer but saying its real time.

+17 > +8

kyliethicc

And yet, calling Deviation Games a 2nd party studio tells everyone a more exact nature of their relationship than calling them 1st party.
SlimySnake SlimySnake

Their GAME is 1st party. They are an external studio.

Internal studio = owned by Sony
External studio = not owned by Sony
1st party game = published by Sony
3rd party game = not published by Sony

This stuff is super simple.

Last edited:
I didn’t get along with the first one (loved it for the first two hours, then fell off into hating it) but I want to give it another try. Feel like I missed something. It looks really good in the trailer. I have a list for the holidays - Halo, GOTG then AC Valhalla - I’ll add a second attempt at the first one after those.

No way on Earth I’m paying asking price for it though, but the first time it gets a decent sale I’ll be on it. Or when Sony panic attempts a Gamepass competitor…

mejin

Surprise! they don't care about you, me or anyone here either.

It doesn't matter If it's first or second party for a manufacturer. It simply doesn't matter. that's all you have for an answer.

SlimySnake

I have been on forums for 20 years now. I never thought I was the one who was 2nd party.

Like I said before, the term second party was invented specifically for scenarios where a third party developer would make a first party game.

Everything else is just semantics.

arvfab

Banned
It is clear in this case, that the agreements between the different parties are more complicated because of licenses etc.

In this case, the IP is not "Spider-Man" per se, but "Marvel's Spider-Man". No other company outside of Sony has the rights to make a direct sequel or a spin-off to this particular version of Spider-Man. But whenever the agreements between Sony and Marvel expires, other studios might be contracted to create a new Spider-Man videogame.

So regarding this version of Spider-Man, it is indeed a first-party game of a third-party franchise.

kyliethicc

Like I said before, the term second party was invented specifically for scenarios where a third party developer would make a first party game.
Your term is predicated on the idea that any game published by Sony is 1st party.

Its self-defeating logic.

You literally defined a 2nd party game as "a 1st party game made by an external developer."

If you want to use 1st and 2nd party as terms, like rectangle and square, go ahead. But everyone knows every square is a rectangle. If you want to use 2nd party as a term to differentiate between 1st party games on whether Sony owns the developer, feel free. But they're all still 1st party games at the end of the day, as you even said.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Your term is predicated on the idea that any game published by Sony is 1st party.

Its self-defeating logic.

You literally defined a 2nd party game as "a 1st party game made by an external developer."

If you want to use 1st and 2nd party as terms, like rectangle and square, go ahead. But everyone knows every square is a rectangle. If you want to use 2nd party as a term to differentiate between 1st party games on whether Sony owns the developer, feel free. But they're all still 1st party games at the end of the day, as you even said.
Yes, it's about filling in scenarios where a third party studio makes a first party game. If both Bloodborne made by third party is first party and TLOU2 made by first party is first party then what's the difference?

So people came up with 2nd party. I will concede that even I am now confused about whether its a second party game or a second party studio, but I do know we have been using second party for years now. Just feel weird about burying that term now as if it never existed.

kyliethicc

Yes, it's about filling in scenarios where a third party studio makes a first party game. If both Bloodborne made by third party is first party and TLOU2 made by first party is first party then what's the difference?

So people came up with 2nd party. I will concede that even I am now confused about whether its a second party game or a second party studio, but I do know we have been using second party for years now. Just feel weird about burying that term now as if it never existed.
Studios are just studios. Internal, external, independent, etc.

Games are 1st / 3rd party. Just check the publisher.

Bloodborne is a 1st party PS4 game. (You'd call it 2nd.)
Sekiro is a 3rd party PS4 / XBO / PC game.

FromSoftware are just an external developer. The publishers of their games don't own them.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Or you can just be accurate and call the games first party. Same amount of words

I'm not going 25+ years with the term 2nd party being universally accepted, not a single person on a planet of 6 billion contesting it, only to change it now because Sony likes playing with language. Especially with a worse term that's less specific.

If it was fine for everyone that long, it's fine today.

Last edited:
Top Bottom