• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West releases on Steam with lower player count than Horizon: Zero Dawn

Exclusive things are inherently more valuable. The brand is perceived as stronger.

To me, the mediocre PC sales don't justify the losses in branding. For MP and GaaS or VR, yes, PC day 1, single-player AAA should be only on Playstation consoles.
In other words...

"If no other players outside our ecosystem can play our games, they won't find out how mediocre our games really are"

Channel 9 Reaction GIF by Married At First Sight

Anybody saying the game is not good or "more of the same" clearly havent played it, or are just disingenuous in their criticism. Everything in this game has been improved since the first entry; melee combat has more depth and combos, side quest are better and rival main missions, traversal and flying added with a cloud system that is exclusive to ps5 and pc versions, more weapons and combat mechanics than the first game, under water exploration added, has no MTX and facial animations put 90% of the industry to shame.

This is just another circle jerk thread to parade around the "sales failure" of a game people with conservative views call woke, despite this franchise having more than 30 million copies sold. An original character, with an original story and gameplay mechanic, yet on Gaf, it's just a Ubisoft clone. You may not like the game, but it's far from a bad game.

Nobody has articulated what they dont like about the game specifically. Just vague terms used by people to hide the hate boner for an franchise thats been used as console war bait to pivot against other games because of its exclusivity.

Maybe people aren't at the edge of their seat waiting to buy a 2 years old game for $60.
Yet a lot people are still begging for a Soulsborne remake from 2009, and a game from 2015 and to be ported over from the ps4. So that's false.

Last edited:
Idk, is it bizarre? I’d say it’s a normal reaction about wanting the exclusives the stay as real exclusives and system sellers and not just timed exclusives with definitive versions coming elsewhere later. And if a userbase of 40 million isn’t enough to fund more projects for the console then the industry is broken, it should be enough.

The result, I’ve basically retired my PS5 now because of these ports. I only used it for the exclusives (and Hogwarts) and have a PC in the living room for those now where they’re better. I guess my kids could start it to play some PS4 Skylanders some day but all in all the console is collecting dust, sad but true.
Tell PlayStation owners to buy more of these exclusives then. Sony has already determined that money coming in from console owners is not enough. Can't blame Sony for looking for revenue elsewhere when Sony boys react like this when a new Sony IP launches...

2 Chainz Pockets GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

10 years ago everyone was asking guerrilla to move away from killzone because they couldn't do justice to the franchise. Now it's "bring back killzone". Gtfo.

Btw what's up with the fucking insults in GAF as of late? Must be the climate change.
Nah it’s a bunch of snowflakes on spring break, I would ignore those cry babies.

10 years ago everyone was asking guerrilla to move away from killzone because they couldn't do justice to the franchise. Now it's "bring back killzone". Gtfo.

Btw what's up with the fucking insults in GAF as of late? Must be the climate change.
Pretty sure when people were asking them to move on a decade ago, they meant move on to a new IP that can top Killzone. Nothing about the Horizon franchise has come close to the highs of Killzone 1 or 2. In fact, most would probably argue Horizon is by far a less interesting IP.

Kacey Musgraves GIF by Paramount+

Releasing 2+ year old $60 games isnt going to light sales charts on fire.
I'm gonna buy Ghosts of Tsushima day 1 full price. I can't wait for that game and I already bought it for PS4.

I think in regards to Horizon, I just don't think the IP is as exciting in general. I bought it twice, once for PS4 and again for PC and it cemented that it's just not a game that I like as much as I want to like.

Fredrik

Holy…
I’m in Plainsong now
❤️

12 hours in. I’m enjoying this a ton tbh.

But as with the first one it still pisses me off that they’ve included human fights. Major missed opportunity to make it a 16+ game for no reason, the human fights are super boring and with those you can’t play it with younger kids. And it really is the ultimate kids game up to the point with the embassy. Dinosaurs and robots. Perfect combo.

//DEVIL//

I am very happy and glad it didn't sell well.

This will go one of 4 ways
1- Sony realize their greed isn't working and they shouldn't charge that much for an old game.
2- they realize that PC gamers aren't into their woke shit and we don't want that fat bitch.
3- they stop porting games to PC and this makes the PlayStation more desirable. At the end of the day. This is what killed the Xbox and instead of Sony learning from this, decided to be follow MS steps and you can already see the PlayStation is not meeting sales expectations. The only reason the sales didn't flat out is because of the 1 to 2 years console exclusivity
4- they keep being idiots and blame low sales on gamers because people in the management are morons and clearly none of them thinking of long term. They all think of their financial quarter sales.

Whatever they go for . I am happy

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
3- they stop porting games to PC and this makes the PlayStation more desirable. At the end of the day. This is what killed the Xbox and instead of Sony learning from this, don't decided to be follow the same steps and you can already see the PlayStation is not meeting sales expectations. The only reason the sales didn't flat out is because of the 1 to 2 years console exclusivity
Bullshit it is. Xbox was falling long before porting their games.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Fuck Killzone.
I just checked with someone and they don't care. I hope you feel good about this while living your real life and being a bad ass here. I was afraid of posting this and had to talk to my lawyer. I went all out and have my legal fees ready to be covered.

Kokoloko85

Can't say for sure, but as far as we know Returnal flopped on PS5 and than flopped on PC. I posted the numbers, if Kokoloko85 Kokoloko85 could find where is the profit in that numbers I'll glad to confirm what he did.
It was considered a success. Maybe not a 5-10+million plus seller or ground breaking but good enough for Sony.

The insomniac leaks showed something like 1.1million sales? Alot of those images were taken down. Just like it showed R&C sold over 2million.
The game didnt cost too much to make. 20-30Million from what I remember.

Last edited:

TheloniusFabdul

Neo Member
Might not play the best but my God it is so beautiful, looks insane maxed out in 4K, I just saved Errnd, mapped F12 to Xbox Series share button, I’m like a paparazzi taking screenshots. Can’t wait for the modding community to wake up!
I may pick it up eventually just for that reason.
Most of my playthrough of the first one was
Spent taking photos.

WitchHunter

Banned
Yesterday was the official launch of Horizon Forbidden West: Complete Edition on PC, which is now available through Steam and the Epic Games Store, but the game had a poor launch on Steam. According to data shared by SteamDB, Horizon Forbidden West: Complete Edition reached a peak of 25,258 simultaneous players 16 hours ago (the number may rise over the weekend).

With this result, Horizon Forbidden West: Complete Edition failed to beat the first game, Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition, which registered 56,557 simultaneous players at launch. Forbidden West was even behind Days Gone, with 27,450.

105524.png

On the other hand, Horizon Forbidden West: Complete Edition managed to beat Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves, which had 10,851 simultaneous players at launch.
Look, numbers! The hollowed out ones watch the numbarz. It's lower than last time. This means there is a problemz somewhere. Things need to change, more intravenous money needed.

//DEVIL//

Bullshit it is. Xbox was falling long before porting their games.
No it wasn't. The 360 was at its prime. And people bought Xbox for titan fall 1.

But the Xbox one it self was a disaster. And they had to give up Kinect instead of sticking to their guns. The result was a broken promise of console that is weaker than the PS4.

Yes they did shitty moves. But people were super excited about the first titan fall. Fuck I bought an Xbox one for that game.

But when they started with PC game day one. That was it. People started not give a fuck about Xbox and many people Xbox one was their last console or even sold it .

Xbox would sell so much more if their games was console exclusive. Imagine all their games on Xbox only with game pass and no PC. ... Yeah .. anyway.

I can't tell what is worse . Don with his stupid ideas about the Xbox becoming your TV, or Phil making MS almost a third party company and Xbox is irrelevant

rsouzadk

It is an old game with mediocre story and ok gameplay. What did they do expect? People paying full price for this shit? C'mon.

Kokoloko85

Nothing you said proved that the game made 'profit'.

Legs was extreme poor and got discounts pretty quickly.
And nothing you showed has proved it was a flop despite Sony saying it was a success and buying the studio.

People guess the game cost between 10-30million max to make. So selling roughly 1.1 million between $70-40 dollars would be a rough guess that it didnt lose money.

Ill take Sony’s word saying it was a hit, over yours saying it was a flop. Pretty sure the Insomniac leaks said that all the games apart from Destruction All stars made a profit

Last edited:
Nothing you said proved that the game made 'profit'.

Legs was extreme poor and got discounts pretty quickly.

They are a small studio.

Compare Returnal's sales to their previous game efforts - they are quite a bit better.

You can't judge a game based on sales alone without factoring in cost, you are just wildly speculating. As if Returnal is somehow supposed to sell on the same level as Spider-Man. It's not.

Fake

And nothing you showed has proved it was a flop despite Sony saying it was a success and buying the studio.

I posted what was leaked. And we have steam sales between 500k.

And Sony never told what was the cost production of Returnal. They never do. Everything is flowers on their blog.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I posted what was leaked. And we have steam sales between 500k.

And Sony never told what was the cost production of Returnal. They never do. Everything is flowers on their blog.
Roughly a million or over for Returnal sales.
Nowhere shows it was a flop.

Housemarque team ended with 80 members, it had a short full time production of 18 months supposedly.

Sony doesnt always come and say things are a hit, plus they purchased them soon after.
Neither has “proof”, Sony saying its a success and the rough numbers is good enough for me

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
The game looked beautiful and the combat was nice, but Aloy was a cunt and the story was a dumpster fire. I have no hope for a 3rd game to be better, except in the graphics part.
I'm going to playthrough this on the hardest difficulty and probably touch it again to finish the achievements. I won't after that, unless to show it off to some friends or whatever. It's not a bad game, it's just, the dialogue, the story(somewhat, I've beaten the first so I am continuing from that one) It's been this huge graphical + Gameplay showcase and I'm playing through it slowly, just to enjoy it.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
No it wasn't. The 360 was at its prime. And people bought Xbox for titan fall 1.

But the Xbox one it self was a disaster. And they had to give up Kinect instead of sticking to their guns. The result was a broken promise of console that is weaker than the PS4.
Yeah and that was when things went off the rails. 2011-2012.
Yes they did shitty moves. But people were super excited about the first titan fall. Fuck I bought an Xbox one for that game.

But when they started with PC game day one. That was it. People started not give a fuck about Xbox and many people Xbox one was their last console or even sold it .
No, it started way back in 2011 when they stopped making games to chase Nintendo’s casual gamers. Following that, all they did was talk about the Kinect and movies. E3 2013 was a travesty and Don Mattrick quite literally told people to go buy the Xbox 360 instead of the X1. They gifted Sony the win on a silver platter.

Halo 5 was an Xbox One exclusive and utterly failed to move the needle whereas Halo 3 is still the best-selling Halo to date. Nothing to do with PC.
Xbox would sell so much more if their games was console exclusive. Imagine all their games on Xbox only with game pass and no PC. ... Yeah .. anyway.
All of their games? What games? They had fuck-all for years. When is the last time that Microsoft produced a legitimate GOTY contender? They always had presentations with promises of big games but never delivered. List me all of their games from 2012 until now and have a laugh. A bunch of mediocre trash. You can count the good stuff practically on one hand.

They wouldn’t have sold much more because their exclusives weren’t good to begin with. If anything, selling games on PC let them recoup their investments.
I can't tell what is worse . Don with his stupid ideas about the Xbox becoming your TV, or Phil making MS almost a third party company and Xbox is irrelevant
How about not having a steady supply of good games for over a decade?

You made up this narrative in your head that porting their games to PC killed Xbox when the descent had begun 5 years before this. Microsoft started porting their games to PC in 2016. The wheels had fallen off way before that. The PC ports were seen as a solution to a failing business, they weren’t the cause.

8sjp8fnjc60a1.jpg

In 2023, Nintendo had TOTK and Sony had Spider-Man 2, but it was totally the PC ports, gaiz! The Xbox One would have sold twice as many units if people had bought it to play...hum...mmmhh...Crackdown 3? Microsoft had Redfall: trash. Forza Motorsport: trash. Starfield: trash.

As for Playstation? Lol. I swear you guys never bother looking at the numbers. They started porting their games in 2020 and what has come out since then despite people knowing PC ports were coming? TLOU Part II that outpaces the original. HFW that sold as quickly as the original. GOWR that outpaces the 2018 game. Spider-Man 2 that has become their fastest-selling game to date. The PS5 was selling quicker than the PS4 even with supply constraints. Sony's PC ports initiative hasn't damaged them in the slightest. They have nothing to learn from Microsoft besides: don't make shit games for over ten years. Sony has clearly explained why they're porting their games to PC a few years later with how budgets have ballooned up. The talk about Xbox is a non-starter because their games haven't been good for a long time. This has been the problem, not Game Pass, not the Day 1 PC ports, not even Don Mattrick who did hurt the brand but not 10 years following his departure.

Reality and cold hard numbers completely go against what you're saying.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I am very happy and glad it didn't sell well.

This will go one of 4 ways
1- Sony realize their greed isn't working and they shouldn't charge that much for an old game.
2- they realize that PC gamers aren't into their woke shit and we don't want that fat bitch.
3- they stop porting games to PC and this makes the PlayStation more desirable. At the end of the day. This is what killed the Xbox and instead of Sony learning from this, decided to be follow MS steps and you can already see the PlayStation is not meeting sales expectations. The only reason the sales didn't flat out is because of the 1 to 2 years console exclusivity
4- they keep being idiots and blame low sales on gamers because people in the management are morons and clearly none of them thinking of long term. They all think of their financial quarter sales.

Whatever they go for . I am happy
Come on Aloy is not fat. Go play the game.

Anyway Sony bought Nixxes to do PC ports so they’re fairly invested I’d say, pulling out now seems highly unlikely.

And concurrent player numbers on Forbidden West has been going up every day since release, 35k last 24 hours. I think it’s above everything they’ve released except Spider-Man, God of War and Zero Dawn. Much talked about Rift Apart peaked at 8k.

But there will be no Helldivers 2 numbers, which was there day 1 and is selling more on PC than Playstation. That will be in talks among the suits I’m sure.

Also, you say you’re happy but you don’t sound happy. Go play the game. Enjoy the visuals. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen better game visuals on my TV. Feels incredibly fresh when it’s so punchy with the colors.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

HFW reached 35,168 yesterday which makes it higher than Days Gone (27,450). Could go slightly up again today to pass The Last of Us (36,496) and become the 4th highest ATP for a Sony single player game. I know it doesn't reflect sales but it's not bad to be honest, I expected less. Releasing a quality and scalable port does make a difference, good job Nixxes.

blue velvet

Guerrilla is a mediocre dev let's be honest here, their best game imo is Killzone Liberation on PSP. They're a technical powerhouse and have one of the best engine in the industry but their games are so mid. I've played the first Horizon game on PC and got bored after a few hours. A generic ubisoft open world inspired slop has no staying power.

Gudji

Pretty sure when people were asking them to move on a decade ago, they meant move on to a new IP that can top Killzone. Nothing about the Horizon franchise has come close to the highs of Killzone 1 or 2. In fact, most would probably argue Horizon is by far a less interesting IP.

Well talk about being delusional.

Senua

Who knew Killzone 1 had highs

Fredrik

It just doesn't look very interesting and that's probably why it didn't sell much.
It’s at the top of the best seller list for single player-only games right now, and concurrent players are moving up, higher low for the 4th day in a row, going to push it’s peak number up again today. It’s doing fine. I’m about to jump in again, all I’ve been playing since it’s release. Nixxes are porting gods 👌

Fredrik

How big is the open world. Saw this game has mounts which gives me a bit of a chub.
It has fairly good sized biomes. Big enough that I want a mount to get around faster and small enough that I haven’t bothered using fast travel yet.

Top Bottom