• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotshot Racing | Official Reveal Trailer | Curve Digital

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Hotshot Racing is a blisteringly fast arcade-style racing game from Curve Digital, Lucky Mountain Games and Sumo Digital. Fusing drift handling, razor-sharp retro visuals and an incredible sense of speed to create an exhilarating driving experience. Perfect your racing apex at a blistering 60FPS in single-player mode to then challenge your friends and the racing community in 8-player online races and 4-player local split-screen multiplayer modes.

Orta

Banned
Doesn't look too bad. I absolutely hate po-faced realistic racers so am always on the lookout for an arcade style one instead.

Sumo Digital being involved is the best thing about this.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I hope it's good and isn't hit by the (true, not Forza or Burnout or whatever kids play nowadays) arcade racer curse that makes all the promising ones like '90s Arcade Racer/Super GP and Racing Apex (yeah, I know we got a couple of half decent Outrun-likes, that's different, Kart games are also very different and personally I don't think any are good enough successors, especially not when Outrun 2 varieties exist, or the recent enhanced Outrun 60fps editions) not release. The visual style seems a little bit off but if the handling is top tier and the tracks sweet then it's fine. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Banned
I hope it's good and isn't hit by the (true, not Forza or Burnout or whatever kids play nowadays) arcade racer curse that makes all the promising ones like '90s Arcade Racer/Super GP and Racing Apex (yeah, I know we got a couple of half decent Outrun-likes, that's different, Kart games are also very different and personally I don't think any are good enough successors, especially not when Outrun 2 varieties exist, or the recent enhanced Outrun 60fps editions) not release.
This is Racing Apex, they've just changed the name.

Alexios

This is Racing Apex, they've just changed the name.
Huh, I saw it was posted on the RA twitter but didn't look to see it's the same dev etc, they had the unveiling video on youtube and stuff, haha, I thought they just pimped another classic racer since their own was clearly not gonna make it.

It looks way different, what happened? I didn't like how some of the cars looked in Apex, especially when broken, and it's better here but the colors and tracks seemed to be more on-point with the Virtua Racing art style before? I guess this kinda looks like the softer Switch Virtua Racing?

At least if they've been working on the game so long hopefully they got the handling and track design down by now and it will be sweet :D

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Banned
It looks way different, what happened? I didn't like how some of the cars looked in Apex, especially when broken, and it's better here but the colors and tracks seemed to be more on-point with the Virtua Racing art style before? I guess this kinda looks like the softer Switch Virtua Racing?
They must have decided to change things up a bit. I agree though, the colours did look better in the video you posted.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Same people who did Sonic Racing Transformed right? That was one of my favourite arcade racers (yeah I know kart racers are a little different) - absolutely tonnes of fun. Fingers crossed on this one being good.

sn0man

The name doesn’t do the look justice. I would have called it Polygon Racer. Also I think the earlier footage had a great Virtua Racing vibe to it, and I wonder if they were talked to by Sega to stop with the white and yellow text and look.

man, covid19... time to bust out my 32X for some VR!

edit: check this out YouTube video. It looks like no more weapons or car conversion either. If they are focusing on the racing, the lack of that Virtua Racing vibe seems like a miss.

Last edited:

Alexios

Yes, the colors were better when it was Racing Apex as was discussed earlier in the thread but it's clearly improved in other ways since. I'm glad they focus on the racing, I thought having weapons was a miss back then. Hopefully they get it absolutely spot-on as such games need to though.

Last edited:

dan76

When is this coming out, Spring is too damn vague! I'm also glad they got rid of guns, I want a pure arcade racer with with drift and boost to get the perfect line.

dan76

Just picked it up on PS4, played about an hour and it's... ok. Handling is very floaty, drifting is nothing special, it actually feels like a lot of other modern racers. Some reviewers have mentioned Outrun 2, this is nothing like Outrun 2. Also, at first glance the tracks seem very similar not only visually but also in layout. There's not much to tell them apart.

But it's fast and the online should be fun.

CyberChulo

Yes I agree that the tracks look all too similar. I think they targeted the Switch to develop on. That's probably why the graphics look that way so they can keep it running at 60fps. That said, I still like the arcade type racing and the music is cool. Tried going online and nobody is playing it right now. Hopefully more people will get it later today or this week. As it is, $15 bucks on the PSN store isn't bad for the tracks you get.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Yes I agree that the tracks look all too similar. I think they targeted the Switch to develop on. That's probably why the graphics look that way so they can keep it running at 60fps. That said, I still like the arcade type racing and the music is cool. Tried going online and nobody is playing it right now. Hopefully more people will get it later today or this week. As it is, $15 bucks on the PSN store isn't bad for the tracks you get.

The stule is nothing to do with the Switch, it’s a style choice, a homage to Virtua Racing.

dan76

Thé style of the graphics has nothing to do with how similar all the tracks look and play. There is no overriding colour theme per track, they are full of the same colours almost every time. No night tracks, no beach or water tracks. I think there is an ice track where certain bits are blue but that's about it. It basic game design, isn't it?

Couldn't gat a game online tonight, I think the release has been a bit screwed on PS4 as it doesn't show up in new releases and when I bought it it said it was released on August 20. Still, it's well worth £12, I just wish it felt nicer to play.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I played this for a bit today, it's pretty fun, nowhere near Outrun 2 but not a bad little game. Cockpit view is a really nice touch I did not expect. The difficulty spike between hard and expert also seems enormous - I went from cruising to 1st in every race on hard but finishing last on expert by a mile.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
AI is kind of terrible. They are smart enough to draft you for a boost but never try to pass you without crashing into you. I was pit maneuvered in each race of GP1. The field also tends to slow down at the end of laps to let you take the lead/win but maybe that changes on the harder difficulties. Only 8 racers on the track is also a bummer. Besides the vehicle designs, I love the graphics. Handling doesn't feel great.

edit: 2nd GP completed. Tried a different more drift focused car. The AI does nothing but ram you. Feels like bumper cars or Burnout's takedown mode without the fun destruction.

Last edited:

Alexios

The controls don't feel very in depth, quite simplistic with that a to drift deal (at least on gamepad, perhaps it's fun with a wheel but I don't have one yet and it's why I don't usually play racing games but the prospect of a SEGA-like one was too good) and I don't like the boost dynamics and as above the AI that just drafts and rams.

Last edited:
I don't like deliberately low polygon counts in games. You can make simple designs and achieve a simple look without the game looking like it's full of early PS1 era geometry. I'm all for more arcade racers, but this game feels pretty lazy.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like deliberately low polygon counts in games. You can make simple designs and achieve a simple look without the game looking like it's full of early PS1 era geometry. I'm all for more arcade racers, but this game feels pretty lazy.
Personally I like the look but each to their own.

Top Bottom