• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long until Rocksteady cease development of further Suicide Squad content?

When will development cease?

• Within 3 months

Votes: 40 21.4%
  • Within 6 months

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Within a year

Votes: 75 40.1%
  • Within 2 years

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Later than 2 years from now

Votes: 4 2.1%

• Total voters

T-0800

Who Cares Seth Meyers GIF by Saturday Night Live

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They would burn a bridge with the ones who still supported them with Suicide Squad - and send a clear message not to trust them with any future releases.

It’s just one of those situations where they have to follow through, for at least a couple years and try and get something going. No company should ever quickly drop a GaaS style game if it stumbles out of the gate.

Sorcerer

I would guess whatever is already in the can is it. I'm sure they are eager to move on and redeem themselves as soon as possible. Unless the parent company forces them to keep supporting the game. This is the equivalent of trying to redeem Redfall at this point. Too much damage done and who are you fixing it for at this point?

Last edited:

Hudo

I think WB are pretty ruthless about dropping games that can't find an audience. So it shouldn't take that long.

Dazraell

I think they will roll with what they already had in development prior to launch (rumors says about 4 seasons) and pull a plug on it after. If things go extremely bad, they will do it after 3 seasons and cut the last season

Holammer

Save for some unexpected crossover/event stuff, development might already have ceased. The content finished and ready to be drip fed by season passes or whatever.
I'm guessing they have one year's worth ready to roll out. If that's the case it'll be super awkward if they roll out big content updates with nobody playing it.

mdkirby

Prob already stopped. They’ll have pre done a couple of content drops. They’ll prob fix a few more bugs, then either be moved to a new Gaas disaster (given that’s now the remit of DC management) or be shut down. 🤷‍♂️….not releasing anything for 10 years, then spending a few hundred million to release a failure of the scale of suicide squad, meaning their next game much be another 5-6 years away…15 years between successful games releases is just too long esp for a studio of their size/cost (and no guarantee they’ll hit a win next time, the founders left a year ago, and there’ll be an exodus of top talent now it’s released). Studios have been closed for far less.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
With the game industry itself imploding due to private equity fuck ups, two raging wars on two different fronts and inequality being up worldwide. True, the world is healing after GaaS games perform badly 🥰

Ok team, bring out the blue hair dye.

Freeman76

They would burn a bridge with the ones who still supported them with Suicide Squad - and send a clear message not to trust them with any future releases.
Lmao, they done a decent enough job of that already.

No way are they throwing resources at a game nobody is playing, dead within a year max, after they put it every for free and try to cunt people off with skins

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
I suspect they have a year of upfront support budgeted for, which would be WB's investment to build the cash cow they were hoping for. During that year, they'll constantly weigh income from MTX versus projections. Given the game is basically DOA, I imagine by the end of the first quarter, they'll have fallen short of even their worst projections so WB will just straight pull the plug. Rocksteady will run down the clock with a skeleton crew with absolutely minimal updates passing as "seasonal events" before announcing development is done. If players are lucky, the servers will stay up for a year after that before it's finally shutdown for good.

With the game industry itself imploding due to private equity fuck ups, two raging wars on two different fronts and inequality being up worldwide. True, the world is healing after GaaS games perform badly 🥰

This is a videogame/entertainment forum so inside this microcosmos, the world is healing. As for the other points:

- Western studios are imploding only because of their incompetence. Not a bad thing.

- Wars: very bad thing but always been like this. The world has always been at war. Nothing new.

- Equality is not bad. Poverty is. They are not equivalent.

I have no idea what they announced and what they probably feel obliged to follow through. But I guess some updates they already have almost finished will be released. With current super long dev times, that migt already bind them a year to that product?? And the final content updates come along with release on GP, Plus and or EGS. Free did not save Avengers but at least some people will appreciate it for that price. No one really loved Avengers but the story content was okayish and playing as their favorite hero has always at least some appeal. As far as I am aware it's not Gollum quality at all, so people who actually like and or are interested in the Squad might be happy to try it then and have some fun.

Whoever greenlit this and later on pushed to go on, past the we-should-abandon-this-prototypes, and delays (for improving what?), is hopefully not failing upwards in Warner's corporate ladder.

Majukun

my guess is it will depend on the response to the first wave of content and how many users come back for more

xrnzaaas

Who knows how much content they have cut from the game and have ready to be published - my guess would be a lot. They'll likely support this for around a year to fulfill the season obligations and then give it a quiet death.

FingerBang

They have probably already budgeted a few months of content, so it won't be anytime soon and likely more than 6 months. It's not unheard of gaas turning around and be relaunched/gain new popularity, and I'm sure that's what they're trying to do. If everything fails, it'll be by the start of 2025.

The falling players' count makes sense. Even if you enjoyed the game, there isn't much to do after you complete the campaign, but people will come back for the new season to see how the story moves forward and how the new characters feel and play. What I know for sure is that there is absolutely nothing that will justify this game being alive for years.

There'll be a big price cut before that; then they might go the game pass/PS+ route or even make it free to play.

What a shame. It's a fun game with much potential, but something went really wrong.

HL3.exe

This is a videogame/entertainment forum so inside this microcosmos, the world is healing. As for the other points:

- Western studios are imploding only because of their incompetence. Not a bad thing.

- Wars: very bad thing but always been like this. The world has always been at war. Nothing new.

- Equality is not bad. Poverty is. They are not equivalent.
Humanity wipes itself out. How is that not the world is healing.
Ok team, bring out the blue hair dye.
Glad the shitpost worked, I thought the 'smiley' would give it away to easy.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

It’s just one of those situations where they have to follow through, for at least a couple years and try and get something going. No company should ever quickly drop a GaaS style game if it stumbles out of the gate.
What future releases? This studio is going to get shut down.

Saber

Gold Member
Judging how hard they were trying to explain how everyone was wrong during trailers and how they tried keep selling this game as an "Arkhan game at its core", I would say they gonna keep this on life support for quite time until reality finally hits them.

A year is pushing it. It will be less than the Avengers.

They'll bring in all the dead characters. Engagement will still be the lowest, around ~1K players or less. Bring Batman back as the last hurrah. Will still remain the same.

Kill all future planned projects and spinoff into a WB support studio/porting studio.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Like SmokedMeat SmokedMeat suggested, I'd be ready to bet they are just finishing the "post launch" content that was already in development and then planning to abandon ship as soon as possible for everything else.

MiguelItUp

I'd imagine the content that is "done" will still see the light of day, at least I'd assume. But I highly doubt they're going to get much further than that. If they do I'll be shocked.

dorkimoe

Not making it a year. Not a chance. Which is crazy cuz how did no mans sky turn it around? And continue to develop but these bigger studios can’t

Top Bottom