• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many copies will GTA 6 sell in its first week?

Usually GTA is console exclusive for at least a year which means it’s limited to the PS5 and Xbox Series install base.

PS5 is at like 41 million consoles sold and Xbox Series is at like 21 million.

Day one I think it will sell like 15 million copies which would still be crazy.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Usually GTA is console exclusive for at least a year which means it’s limited to the PS5 and Series install base.

1 in 4 console owners? That seems simultaneously insanely high and yet also possible to me. Edit: surely not. First week?

My guess is that it'll sell about as well as a new COD does in it's first week, whatever that is.

Last edited:

Tomi

Dont know how many copies but console sales WILL EXPLODE!
Probably millions and millions of ps5 and xboxes will sell in the first week

Last edited:
Usually GTA is console exclusive for at least a year which means it’s limited to the PS5 and Series install base.

Games not out till late 2024/25 so your console estimates are completely wrong, also he said 1 week not 1 day so that's wrong as well 🤣

1 in 4 console owners? That seems simultaneously insanely high and yet also possible to me. Edit: surely not. First week?

My guess is that it'll sell about as well as a new COD does in it's first week, whatever that is.
GTA 5 sold 11 million in one day, I think 15 million is very possible day one for GTA 6

Games not out till late 2024/25 so your console estimates are completely wrong, also he said 1 week not 1 day so that's wrong as well 🤣

You have no idea when the game is releasing so you could be completely wrong also lol.

It'll probably be the fastest and best selling game ever. I don't want to attach any numbers to this but you can bet it'll break all records.

Kerotan

21,456,378 and a half copies. Yes that's right I believe a disgruntled warehouse worker will snap one of the disc's in half.

Krieger

Enough that other publishers will stop with the garbage GaaS trend and go back to copying GTA for the next 5 years.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Enough that other publishers will stop with the garbage GaaS trend and go back to copying GTA for the next 5 years.
You think they will abandon the gaas format that has been making them all these millions with 5 for 6? What? We'll hopefully be lucky in that it's still largely a separate experience and the base game is meaty but let's not pretend they don't do gaas when they've been making all this bank from it🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

GHound

Consider the following.

It'll sell more than 5, but the game itself will end up disappointing everyone who had ridiculous expectations for it.

Last edited:
Consider the following.

It'll sell more than 5, but the game itself will end up disappointing everyone who had ridiculous expectations for it.

Who has ridiculous expectations though? Most people seem to think it's gonna disappoint and be woke theft auto because of the way things are today and that rockstar isn't the same without dan houser. If anything, it has the potential to blow us away. It's been 10 years since the last GTA game. The leap should be massive.

Last edited:
If microsoft snags a Gamepass day 1 deal it‘ll probably be around 50-70 million. If not I think it‘ll be more like in the 20 million range.

I don't know about that, possibly but I remember back then people who didn't even game were talking about GTA 5, gonna be similar this time as well though so who knows but it's going to be amazing I know that.
Yeah, maybe I'm a tad over optimistic there with my prediction. If it releases holiday of next year the install base will be around 90M for current-gen consoles, so even with the massive hype the GTA6 launch will inevitability get, it will be a bit hard to reach 25M, so 14-18M is a more realistic ballpark.

Last edited:
According to vgcharts as of August this year:

"The PlayStation 5 has sold 39.64 million units, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 22.36 million units."

So 62 million console owners as it stands who could potentially buy the game. If gta5 sold 11 million day one, imo you're looking at 15 to 18 million day one.

That's just day one. Some people may buy it a few days later or when they get paid at the end of the month. I say Sony and Microsoft will shift alot of consoles around release window too.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
If it launches on PS5, Xbox, Switch 2 and PC on the same day then it'll sell 150 million in its first day.

In its lifetime, it'll sell over 4 billion copies.

It is pretty crazy to think that GTA 6 will probably cover the entire production and marketing costs(1billion) on its first day. Before a single dime has been spent online. And if you thought GTA 5 online was popular, just wait. Rockstar is actually building a game from the ground up with that in mind. How many more players will play GTA online with a much improved combat system? It's absurd how much of a cash cow this game will be

radewagon

Probably a ton, but, y'know, it's weird. I don't think I've ever been as disinterested in a new GTA as I am right now. That could change once we see some good footage, but right now I just don't care. After my disappointment with RDR2's boringness, the shark-card dominance of GTA V's online mode, the lazy recent RDR port, and the embarrassing mess that was the GTA Trilogy, I'm just not looking forward to what this studio has to offer.

Top Bottom