• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How the FUCK do devlopers keep getting away with visual downgrades? latest example, Forspoken

supernova8

Banned
On the flipside, how often do visually ambitious games release looking as good as what is initially shown?

I've always assumed games will never look as good as their original concept renders etc. As long as they show plenty of footage beforehand and everyone knows what they're getting visually (you don't have to preorder and if you do that's on you) then joke's on you.

Plus, I think most people outside this bubble have terrible memories. Vast majority of people who bought Watch Dogs (ie everyone who doesn't frequent GAF) probably didn't even remember the initial footage and thus wouldn't have thought anything. Same goes for The Division and Rainbow Six Siege (oh yeah all Ubisoft games haha what a massive coincidence!!!).

The only footage I can remember thinking "they should be sued for this" is that Killzone 2 reveal back in the day. Didn't they initially lie and say it was in-game?

Last edited:

hussar16

Seriously. The world is huge. Clouds are moving, lighting is changing, volumetric fog can come and go. It's not static in this regard. Although there is no dynamic time of day or raining I think.
IMO it looks fantastic. Luminous engine will die sadly. I say sadly because it looks and feels unique. Not another Unreal game you know?
Great draw distances and no loading.
(tv pics because HDR looks great in this)

9l10dFl.jpg

lhgo2OO.jpg

mzixxXn.jpg
It's stil a downgrade

MScarpa

This kind of reminds me of Haze a little bit with the lackluster showing. I understand it's 2 different games etc but for some reason Haze kind of comes to mind.

CGNoire

Jesus Christ the amount of Mental Gymnastics in here is fucking hillarious.

And what the fuck is going on where people still act like there is some mythical PC version that never was to explain away bullshots. Tell me you never gamed on or edited High end PC game settings without telling me youve neved gamed on or edited High end PC game settings. Those Vertical slices are almost always willfull distortions of exspectations designed to mislead from the get go. Devs are not that clueless of what the hardware can and cant do there just aware how adamant defense forces are.And no we havent hit Killzone 2 trailer untill we get volumetic dynamic fluid simulations in realtime ingame. Which we havent really.

Last edited:

Aaron Olive

Jesus Christ the amount of Mental Gymnastics in here is fucking hillarious.

And what the fuck is going on where people still act like there is some mythical PC version that never was to explain away bullshots. Tell me you never gamed on or edited High end PC game settings without telling me youve neved gamed on or edited High end PC game settings. Those Vertical slices are almost always willfull distortions of exspectations designed to mislead from the get go. Devs are not that clueless of what the hardware can and cant do there just aware how adamant defense forces are.And no we havent hit Killzone 2 trailer untill we get volumetic dynamic fluid simulations in realtime ingame. Which we havent really.
What makes this instance in particular bad is the hardware is capable but the talent at the studio isn't.

Cyberpunkd

why isn't this illegal?!!!!!!
how many times we gonna get fucked over like this before the sheep actually wake up?
Notice the small letters: “Product in development, version not final” in every trailer? Or in your very screenshots: “SUBJECT TO CHANGE”?
Your fault for falling for it.

Last edited:
I beg your pardon? In my world, aka the real world, the entire community grabs torches and pitchforks at the sight of the slightest graphical differences, ones that might have been prompted by aesthetic preferences, let alone at obvious technical downgrades. Plus, what do you suggest we should do exactly? Hang the culprits by the neck?

Aaron Olive

Notice the small letters: “Product in development, version not final” in every trailer? Or in your very screenshots: “SUBJECT TO CHANGE”?
Your fault for falling for it.
It’s fine when it’s a game mechanic or this red shirt is now purple or the grass here is moved over there with some bushes and trees but this shit… nahh.

Jimmy_liv

Been happening since the dawn of gaming. I remember the spectrum version of Sam Fox Strip Poxer had Amiga screen shots on the back of the box but as a Spectrum owner I knew I wasn't getting those gfx.

Last edited:

Mayar

Neo Member
Forspoken problem is not even that his engine is far from ideal and obsolete. The problem is how designers and developers use it. It is quite difficult to create a picture that is pleasing to the eye, everything should be concise, connected with each other, various elements of the design of the landscape and the environment should blend harmoniously and concisely with each other. In Forsopken, one gets the impression that someone just went to the Asset store, bought a pack, and then stupidly scattered them around the map. The world looks torn, it does not look laconic and modeled. And all this from above is exacerbated by very poor work with lighting and shadows. Since in 2022 they were still using the old node system for working with lighting, which you have to manually adjust in each individual location, but who will be doing this in 2022.

Graphics are far from everything in games, but not everyone can work beautifully and competently with graphics. Everyone can buy a set of oil paints, but not everyone can paint a beautiful picture with them. Unfortunately, visually the game looks very presentable and torn, even against the background of very old games..

GHG

TK4J06U.png
3EOPeMp.png

The lighting, environments and foliage are noticeably weaker. Look at the grass. Look at the trees. Cutscenes are comparable(ZD is still slightly better) although ZD cutscene quality is more consistent whereas Forspoken has some rough looking cutscenes.

When you can see the compression artifacts around text from a mile away you know someone is either trying too hard or intentionally trolling.

Whatever you need to do to cope I guess.

It's impossible to tell from these screenshots if they've downgraded anything, because locations and TOD are completely different, and these conditions can absolutely affect lighting to this extent.

Dorago

There were a couple of years there where bull-shots stopped being used as much and in game footage was used in lieu of pre-rendered sequences. THEN they had to try and make PS4 launch titles look impressive and that went out the window. Then came the Steam Greenlight scam games Chinese developed MMOs. The coup de grace for me were the multimillion dollar propaganda videos they made to dupe people into buying Cyberpunk day 1. Literally dozens of slickly produced videos telling you exactly what the game was going to be using ALL prerendered footage. I thought I was having a stroke after watching several of them and couldn't believe the guys who had put out Blood and Wine just a few years prior had had to stoop to such a low level.

Top Bottom