• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Xbox Was Finally Proven Right in 2021

Caio

Xbox had a great year no doubt but I had more fan playing on my PS5 this year.

Most of the new big games on game pass expect Halo and Forza wasn’t that great to me. Plus Xbox has always had Halo and Forza so they didn’t do anything new. I want to see some great new IP from Xbox and I think Starfield will be a great start to that next year.

It’s been so long since Xbox has had this much positive momentum and I think people are over exaggerating a bit. Game pass showed great potential with bringing Halo infinite and Forza horizon 5 to it day one but they will need more great new IP IMO.
I think the perceived value towards Xbox is increasing considerably, when compared to last generation, where PS4 dominated unchallenged (I leave the Switch out of the equation). And I would not take Halo and Forza for granted, the developers are always "forced" to offer something more and higher quality otherwise they would be sucked into the sad sack of obsolete and forgotten toys.
In my opinion, Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon5 and Microsoft Flight Simulator have been a true showcase of strength, all of them great Games and available for the Holiday Season, and let's not forget Stalker 2 which will be released in April, and Starfield the next holiday season. BC is really good, Game Pass has a great value, the Bethesda deal, and XSS, even though is not for me, still is gonna cover that sector of gamers who don't care that much about improved graphics and higher Res. Competition is so healthy for Everybody, and and no one can afford to rest on their laurels anymore, not even Sony.

Last edited:
how isn’t this Rivet loser banned? They just post their sad little emojis on every single actual point of Sony hypocrisy that’s pointed out.

Please. Go ahead and address a single point anyone here is making. Hint: you don’t because you realize you can’t. the points on hypocrisy are 100% valid and gaming is a war to you, not a hobby.

Last edited:

Rivet

I have! Day 1 PS5 owner and day 1 Returnal buyer.

Are you really claiming a bullet hell shooter that runs at 1080p/60fps was impossible on an Xbox One X? The only thing it does that was impossible last gen is loading and haptics.

It’s a great game, but stop this madness.

Of course it was impossible. It has 3d sound and haptics and hundreds of objects and particles on screen. Instant loading too, yeah.

Of course it was impossible. It has 3d sound and haptics and hundreds of objects and particles on screen. Instant loading too, yeah.

3D sound isn’t new…

Oh! You’re one of those that things the tempest engine is entirely revolutionary and not just created to side step Dolby licensing fees.

I literally said loading and haptics already. Try harder.

Last edited:
LMFAOOOO!

“Sony isn’t making a comeback though. They don’t need to follow the insane rules of “what a next gen game is”.

This is what I mean when I say the warring is transparent.

What? Halo infinite isn’t a sequel to a HIGHLY successful franchise? Forza 5 isn’t a sequel to a HIGHLY successful franchise? Just stop lmao.

I think if that were obvious we wouldn’t need puff piece articles like this telling us why xbox is doing so great now
Confused Politician GIF by Chicken Licken SA

Are you really claiming a bullet hell shooter that runs at 1080p/60fps was impossible on an Xbox One X? The only thing it does that was impossible last gen is loading and haptics.

Physicalized particles, which Returnal uses, destroy performance. But I think it could maybe run at 1080p30 on a One X. Who knows.

Once again, a total BS editorial piece backed up by zero real data or facts. But at least he states he thinks Xbox is going to remain a distant third to cover his rear.

Software, software, software. That’s what it always comes down to. Xbox needs to pump out more and better software. Halo and Forza games (especially ones that are clearly built for last gen) are not going to move the needle. Remember how the criticism of the Xbox was that it was a Halo/Forza/Gears box? So this year we get … Halo and Forza? XCloud is also not going to move the needle. No one wants lag or compressed video streams. Network latency and bandwidth issues are going to be a fact of life rendering this solution an also ran. It just feels like MS still is not quite getting it, but we will see what they announce soon.

Make new, fresh, exciting, fun games. No one buys a system because of “the power of Azure.” Or how many studios MS bought. Or because of the slogan that “YOU are at the center of gaming.” People will always buy hardware because they want the software. The hardware is just a means of accessing that software. If that wasn’t the case the switch wouldn’t be dominating right now.

MS still doesn’t seem to know how to cultivate a game studio. Look at the difference with Dread. MercurySteam explained how working with Nintendo was so tough because of the high standards they maintained and also how much they learned. Contrast that with 343i that has spent decades spinning their wheels and turning out mediocre products. Or any studio that Sony has bought, turning out hit after hit in a fairly timely manner. MS has no equivalent of this. Just buying up a bunch of independent studios and hoping for them to now carry you isn’t quite the same thing.

Anyway, another silly internet piece backed up by nothing. What kind of person thinks “MS might be losing in every category but at least they are ‘right’”? It’s completely asinine.

After some of the revelations in the recent DF thread I have to question everything like this that we now see.
What software software software has Sony dropped in the past 7 months? Going to be 9 by the time horizon drops. That’s with me even including deathloop which released SAME DAY on PC. By your logic, this isn’t even an exclusive, right? Right? Nope. “Only Xbox exclusives aren’t exclusives” 😂

I assume you feel the same about this drought right?

Last edited:
You realize they ARE doing much better this gen?
Thats really not saying much, man

Also, i think competition is good and I’m glad microsoft is back in the race and really committing to gaming this time around. I just have not seen a huge turn around from them in terms of software yet.

Halo, and Forza has been the ongoing franchises for xbox for the last 3 generations and they haven’t turned the tide.

Last edited:
There is nothing to debate because in my personal opinion Game Pass is better than any other subscription of its kind. But others could make the case that Humble Bundle is superior (subjective opinion) to Game Pass because Humble Bundle games are permanently added to your Steam library (objective fact). That's just as valid a thing to say as anything you've stated and it is no more an incorrect personal opinion than yours. Steam could make the case for having a better BC solution as a platform than any console. That too would be opinion. These are examples of opinions, I'm not posing them to debate your opinion that Game Pass or Xbox BC is better.
It sounds like a semantic discussion at this point. You are focusing on the term 'better' over the objective metrics that make the statement true. If I said Sony did objectively better than MS in the last generation of consoles would you honestly push back and state it's just an opinion? Feelings have nothing to do with the reality.

With regard to humble bundle and Steam I specifically mentioned consoles in my statement. PC doesn't really need any backward compatibility so it's not really a comparison. When opinion is based on actual definable metrics it stops being just an opinion. MS is doing things objectively better in specific areas that has nothing to do with my personal opinion. There is plenty of data to back it up.

Also, i think competition is good and I’m glad microsoft is back in the race and really committing to gaming this time around. I just have not seen a huge turn around from them in terms of software yet.

Halo, and Forza has been the ongoing franchises for xbox for the last 3 generations and they haven’t turned the tide.

no, you don’t.

If you did, you’d be posting about the extreme drought Sony has had all year. Concern is transparent.

Last edited:

FrankWza

You know the thing that keeps me coming back to console over PC though? Loading times. I fired up FH5 and Halo Infinite on PC and the difference is stark. Games on PS5.....same deal. And considering upgrading my PC isn't going to happen for a while, yeah.....these consoles are looking pretty damn good right now.
I was just mentioning PC because when they hitched their wagon, they also made gamepass available along with day 1 games and I think the $1 loophole works there too.
Everyone is getting a good deal and value. But the ones that are buying in at $1 now without having purchased games and consoles prior are really making out.
Why do people complain about the Series S being less powerful and “holding back games”
last gen support will end. Microsoft has no choice to keep the s around because they gimped x retail production for the sake of their servers and needed something on shelves.
They released their 2 big franchise titles and didn’t put enough of their best hardware out there for the optimal experience on either title.
Just turn the settings down
This was the narrative for the s. It was supposed to be the same experience but they’ve already started taking features away on a per game basis that the x has, On 3rd and 1st party. It will probably get worse, not better. That’s what makes their decision to anchor their availability to the s a concern that even industry professionals have expressed. The hours spent by devs has been, and will continue to be a hindrance to the lead consoles.
You What software software software has Sony dropped in the past 7 months?
Which new first party games were released in the first year after launch on Xbox? Then they released a game in pieces that still isn’t complete after a year long delay and god knows how much additional funding and left out next gen features from the series s.

Why would I lie?

Idk. Probably the same reason you entirely sidestepped my original post to you.

Care to address why you think horizon 2 is totally “next gen” on a PS4 but halo and forza are not? “Because they’re successful and aren’t playing from behind”

Stop moving goalposts and try addressing someone’s original comment to you instead of bringing up a new conversation. As I said, transparent.

Idk. Probably the same reason you entirely sidestepped my original post to you.

Care to address why you think horizon 2 is totally “next gen” on a PS4 but halo and forza are not? “Because they’re successful and aren’t playing from behind”

Stop moving goalposts and try addressing someone’s original comment to you instead of bringing up a new conversation. As I said, transparent.

When did i say halo and forza are not next gen?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
how isn’t this Rivet loser banned? They just post their sad little emojis on every single actual point of Sony hypocrisy that’s pointed out.

Please. Go ahead and address a single point anyone here is making. Hint: you don’t because you realize you can’t. the points on hypocrisy are 100% valid and gaming is a war to you, not a hobby.
Come on man - don't start asking for users to be banned. Don't agree with the thread, put it on ignore or don't read it.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Lol. This is what I mean. Sony hasn’t released a single first party game since April. May if you count deathloop. Haven’t turned mine on since I beat Returnal.

“No drought! I love playing single player 8 hour games for months” 😂
Same thing for xbox. No next gen games. Only current gen games.

Riky

$MSFT
I was just mentioning PC because when they hitched their wagon, they also made gamepass available along with day 1 games and I think the $1 loophole works there too.
Everyone is getting a good deal and value. But the ones that are buying in at $1 now without having purchased games and consoles prior are really making out.

last gen support will end. Microsoft has no choice to keep the s around because they gimped x retail production for the sake of their servers and needed something on shelves.
They released their 2 big franchise titles and didn’t put enough of their best hardware out there for the optimal experience on either title.

This was the narrative for the s. It was supposed to be the same experience but they’ve already started taking features away on a per game basis that the x has, On 3rd and 1st party. It will probably get worse, not better. That’s what makes their decision to anchor their availability to the s a concern that even industry professionals have expressed. The hours spent by devs has been, and will continue to be a hindrance to the lead consoles.

Which new first party games were released in the first year after launch on Xbox? Then they released a game in pieces that still isn’t complete after a year long delay and god knows how much additional funding and left out next gen features from the series s.

Hilarious how people think the £1/$1 is a "Loophole" it's an offer that Microsoft want to do, to get people to try the service. You don't know what the retention rate is and since they seem happy to continue that offer then they must be happy with it being available.
The "optimal" experience would be the PC version on high end hardware, Microsoft don't seem to care where you play as long as you do.
The Series S is on the same GDK as the PC versions, the minimum specs are lower than Series S so your point has no relevance at all.
Gears Tactics and Flight Simulator were released before Forza and Halo, both high scoring on MC. We can add Psychonauts 2 also, another high scoring game. Top quality releases.

dotnotbot

Lol. This is what I mean. Sony hasn’t released a single first party game since April. May if you count deathloop. Haven’t turned mine on since I beat Returnal.

“No drought! I love playing single player 8 hour games for months” 😂
I value quality over quantity. If you expect your console maker to shit out mediocre single-player games every 3 months, PS5 isn't for you.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Class leading games :

One of best fps ever made: Halo Infinite

Best driving game ever made bar none: Forza Horizon 5

One of best platformer if you are mature: Psychonauts 2.
I haven't quite finished it yet, but wouldn't say Halo is one of the best FPS games ever made.

Not sure what you mean by one of the best platforms 'if you are mature' means? Which games are you excluding by using this term and why?. It's a good game that deserves respect in its own right, but no need to introduce strange caveats to try and make it seem like something it isn't.

No denying Forza Horizon 5 is one of if not the best open world driving games.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It sounds like a semantic discussion at this point. You are focusing on the term 'better' over the objective metrics that make the statement true. If I said Sony did objectively better than MS in the last generation of consoles would you honestly push back and state it's just an opinion? Feelings have nothing to do with the reality.

There is absolutely nothing objective about saying Sony did a "better" job than MS last gen. That is factually an opinion. If you or anyone else said that to me then I would correct them.

When opinion is based on actual definable metrics it stops being just an opinion. MS is doing things objectively better in specific areas that has nothing to do with my personal opinion. There is plenty of data to back it up.

No, you are still just using objective data to back up your subjective personal opinion. Your opinion that something is "better" than something else is, by definition, a subjective opinion. Your opinion never stops being an opinion. Call it an "informed opinion". Call it an "opinion backed up by facts". But factually, it is still an opinion.

When did i say halo and forza are not next gen?
Excuse me, you said “game changers”.

Stop playing semantics. Why did you put some insane restriction like “a top selling franchise” and “playing from behind” on Xbox games in terms of what is a “game changer” but have nothing to say about horizon 2? PS4 version of GT being dropped? Will you say the same if God of War 2 is cross gen?

You’ve replied how many times now and haven’t once address my actual question.

Yeah. We are so blind about returnal and Ratchet and clank, that there is no next gen games on that system. Definitely nothing to see there.
big mouth coach steve GIF by NETFLIX
Dude… do some of you not even remember what you post?

I was making a joke of you saying “same thing for Xbox. No next gen games” hence you agreeing that Sony has none with the use of “SAME THING”.

I didn’t say that. You did.

Christ, English is tough.

Last edited:

Why can’t the S just play with setting lowered?

So, you think horizon 2 isn’t next gen because it’s gimped on a PS4 then, right?

Last edited:

MikeM

The idea that resolution is the sole criteria in determining what is next gen and isn’t is telling.
There’s plenty of videos out there explaining the physics and the hardware accelerated lighting used in the game. It could be possible on One X, but big if considering the weak CPU.

The idea that resolution is the sole criteria in determining what is next gen and isn’t is telling.
There’s plenty of videos out there explaining the physics and the hardware accelerated lighting used in the game. It could be possible on One X, but big if considering the weak CPU.
Okay. Now apply that logic to the S.

The point I’m making with all my posts is the same arguments Sony players use against Xbox, are exactly what Sony has done countless times and it’s obvious when users pretend Sony doesn’t.

kingfey

Banned
Dude… do some of you not even remember what you post?

I was making a joke of you saying “same thing for Xbox. No next gen games” hence you agreeing that Sony has none with the use of “SAME THING”.

I didn’t say that. You did.

Christ, English is tough.
Sony released next gen games, Xbox didn't.

No one cares if Sony hasnt released a game, since april. MS haven't released any game for their console, until MS flight sim released in july this year. Same situation.

Difference is, 1 released next gen game, while the other havent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom