• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Ike: People Not Evacuating Face "Certain Death"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Ole' Dubbya is in H-town. Last I heard he's taking a copter to check out the coast.

ScythD

UH is definitely busier than I expected. Daytime classes are running normally except that no tests or hw are allowed this week and the graduate classes are being shortened because of the curfew so most of my professors are just canceling classes.

West Chester Ohio here. Just got my power back 2 hours ago since losing it around noon on Sunday. woot. First thing I did was preorder Lich King CE ><

Smokey

guess said:
Still no electricity

Still none at my house either in Northwest Houston off of Eldridge & 1960.

tedtropy said:
At this point going to school is, tragically enough, just something to do.

I agree. My classes were shortened today, and I've been done since about 12pm, but I'm still on campus simply because I like A/C and it's the only way I can have access to the internet.

Mashing

Still without power here. A friend that works on the line said our area was hit the hardest (speaking of the houston area) and power would probably not be back on for atleast a week. He also loaned us a 6000 watt generator, so we can run some appliances. Thankfully power is the only damage we took. Lots of trees to clean up but that is about it.

I do want to say that if you feel that you do not need to evacuate from a hurricane then you may want to think again. It is not fun having no electricity. If you have the means, then you should leave.

Be well GAF

y2dvd

My car was flooded. I'm not sure where to go from here. Guess I'll call my insurance co. and get a mechanic to check it out.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
y2dvd said:
My car was flooded. I'm not sure where to go from here. Guess I'll call my insurance co. and get a mechanic to check it out.

That's about all you can do. Open a claim with your insurance and get the ball rolling with them as soon as possible.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Seems like major media isnt covering it that much. Right now there's one or two articles on cnn, one of which isnt even about galveston/houston.

Drudge Report has the best coverage as usual.

JayDubya

Banned
Yeah, we didn't get any coverage on Rita either, and that was awful.

My old next door neighbors had moved to Bridge City - their new house is fucking wasted. Dead animals and fish in the home, all major appliances floated up and around and banged up the walls... All the keepsakes and photo albums pretty much washed away.

Fuuuuuuuck.

Beaumont, Port Arthur, Port Neches, Nederland, etc. don't have a lot of damage, but there's no electricity, gas is hard to come by, the refineries are way understaffed (understandably)... it's bad.

ruffles

ScythD said:
UH is definitely busier than I expected. Daytime classes are running normally except that no tests or hw are allowed this week and the graduate classes are being shortened because of the curfew so most of my professors are just canceling classes.

Same here. My evening classes are getting canceled for the week.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
JayDubya said:
Yeah, we didn't get any coverage on Rita either, and that was awful.

My old next door neighbors had moved to Bridge City - their new house is fucking wasted. Dead animals and fish in the home, all major appliances floated up and around and banged up the walls... All the keepsakes and photo albums pretty much washed away.

Fuuuuuuuck.

Beaumont, Port Arthur, Port Neches, Nederland, etc. don't have a lot of damage, but there's no electricity, gas is hard to come by, the refineries are way understaffed (understandably)... it's bad.

My dad has been trying to go to work since yesterday but the plants been closed.. no one seems to know when it will be up and running again.

I told him to talk to FEMA and register for DUA so he can atleast have some money coming in.

ToxicAdam

Ike decided to get artistic with this tree on his way through my town ..

9usqwy.jpg

MechDX

power crews in my subdivision right now. tonight or tomorrow hopefully. Rest of east Texas where I am at is still a fucking disaster though.

Southeast houston/telephone rd still without POWER

I drove around the area around 5am and it was all dark and scary :(

Fuck UH , only fucking school open...then again these days wont affect our holiday vacation.

Smokey

SuperAndroid17 said:
Fuck UH , only fucking school open...then again these days wont affect our holiday vacation.

That's what I said but my professor put it a different way. They probably opened the school because they had electricity obviously, but people could take showers in the wellness center if needed, there was A/C, and the internet was up and running. So in a lot of ways it was better than at home for most people.

And I just got home and power is back on for me!! NW Houston off of Eldridge & 1960. For those who still don't have it hang in there. Centerpoint is working hard but with them having to turn 2,100,000 people back on it may not seem like it. I saw CP trucks all over on my way to and from school.

day 4 without power, posting from my iPhone with candles burning for light. It's really been quite an interesting experience, but not one I would want to repeat. Lots of reading and sleeping, and thinking as well.

I propose that after this whole ordeal is over, those gaffers that have lived through this should get together for a little happy hour. I'd be happy to organize.

Be safe the rest of you...and hopefully my next post will be from modern civilization.

TaeOH

I live in Columbus Oh too. It has been really odd to see all these snapped tree's everywhere and half the traffic lights not working. I got lucky, I live in a subdivision with underground lines, we never lost power. Thank god, I had lightning hit my furnace chimney in March and my roof needed replaced because of hail damage two years ago. My insurance company upped my deductible because of those claims. I can't afford another claim.

But half the county has been out of power since Sunday. A lot of bad food, whole grocery stores lost their refrigerated stock. Restaurants that are open are packed with so many people not able to cook at home. My work still won't have power tomorrow to the building tomorrow, I am working from home this week through VPN.

I have never seen a wind storm like this, feel like we dodge a bullet since the rain did not come.

ScythD

Definitely smirk, well at least we'll have an interesting story for our grandchildren.

What worries me is that it took this long for FEMA to start to distribute supplies, God forbid anything on a larger scale happens.

Miguel

My apartment is still without power. Mom's/Aunt's houses have power. Dad's house doesn't. All have water, cleared out my fridge/freezer yesterday. Ice in there had run its course and wasn't going to save anything from spoiling.

Work is open, so I was there yesterday, things semi-back to normal at least in the other office, my main office is toast for now (Chase Tower)

I'm a bit in zombie mode, before last night, I had slept a grand total of 10 hours since Friday morning. (woke up at 5am that day)

Everyone on my contact list on my phone has been accounted for, except one person :(

Hope she's alright.

Miguel

Continental offers $69 fares to help Gulf Coast residents

06:05 PM CDT on Tuesday, September 16, 2008

KHOU.com staff report

HOUSTON - Continental Airlines is offering special round-trip fares for travel originating in Houston and Beaumont/Port Arthur, TX to any destination in the contiguous United States to help people affected by Hurricane Ike.

Beginning today through Sept. 19, travelers can book any domestic flight under 500 miles for only $69 each way and any domestic flight over 500 miles for just $119 each way.

“As Gulf Coast residents pull together to recover from the damage caused by Hurricane Ike, we want to help make their lives a little easier by providing special discounted fares for travel from the region,” said Jim Compton, Continental’s executive vice president of marketing. “We want our customers to know that if they need to travel soon or are just ready for a break, we are here to help.”

Travel with the special fare must originate in either Houston or Beaumont/Port Arthur and be booked before midnight on September 19 and completed by October 1.

Fares are one-way based on round trip purchase. No advance purchase is required for the special fare.

Fares do not include passenger facilities charges of up to $18 per segment, September 11 security fee of up to $5 each way or Federal excise tax of $3.50 per segment.

For reservations or information go to continental.com or call 1-800-523-FARE.

Miguel

Latest is that 34.5% of those with power outages (Centerpoint customers) in Houston are back online now.
38% of all customers are back (seems about 158,000 never lost power)

Information as of Sept. 16, 2008, 9:28 p.m. CST
Total number of customers: 2.26 million
Total customers restored: 750,000
Total customers with power: 858,000 (38% of total customers)
Total customers without power: 1.40 million (62% of total customers)

radjago

TaeOH said:
I live in Columbus Oh too. It has been really odd to see all these snapped tree's everywhere and half the traffic lights not working. I got lucky, I live in a subdivision with underground lines, we never lost power. Thank god, I had lightning hit my furnace chimney in March and my roof needed replaced because of hail damage two years ago. My insurance company upped my deductible because of those claims. I can't afford another claim.

But half the county has been out of power since Sunday. A lot of bad food, whole grocery stores lost their refrigerated stock. Restaurants that are open are packed with so many people not able to cook at home. My work still won't have power tomorrow to the building tomorrow, I am working from home this week through VPN.

I have never seen a wind storm like this, feel like we dodge a bullet since the rain did not come.
The local weather guy kept saying the winds wouldn't have been as bad if it had rained, as the sun heated the air and tapped into the faster winds in the upper atmosphere. Who knows if that's true or not.

Still out at home in Dayton. I've heard scattered reports of people at work here who are getting their power back their houses.

I saw my first power company truck last night. They were trying to cut through to the next major street over and realized the bridge across the highway was blocked and turned around. Oh well, maybe I'll have power by next week.

Thankfully we finally decided to evacuate from Groves the night before the storm hit. We would have been okay, but this tree crushing our kitchen would have scared the shit out of us.
Photo-0046.jpg

It's not terrible, but it's upsetting since we recently moved in and just kinda got everything fixed up. It's nowhere near as bad as the people one city over had it.

littlepic2.jpg

My dad's house in Bolivar looks like it's gone. There's no way we can really get to it since the ferry landing is fucked along with the small Rollover Pass bridge. The worst thing about it is he left everything he owns there assuming the storm wouldn't be bad. Bleh.

Lhadatt

Checking in.

Dad finally decided to get out Monday, so I took him to his girlfriend's place in San Antonio after work. Sealy had gas a-plenty, so you can get it if you don't mind heading west. San Antonio highway signs are flashing "DO NOT GO TO HOUSTON OR BEAUMONT" - reason being no gas in or around town. I got to a friend's place in College Station on Tuesday, and they are letting me stay until we get power and things normalize.

I couldn't get to work for a couple days this week after Monday due to gas, so I figured leaving was the best bet. As long as I have Internet, I can work remotely. :) Now the extent of my troubles are a dog and three cats - one of which is a jerkass and keeps hissing and swiping at me. I'll gladly brave these odds after the mess back in Houston.

People, get out if you can.

Teknoman

Bunch of city trucks out clearing debris. U of H and all branches are apparently closed until the 22nd. Some ass broke into the Gamestop I work for (and the place I reserved DQ IV...) via the roof during the storm...so now thats got to be fixed, and I guess I wont be working till at least the end of the week, maybe longer.

captive

Teknoman said:
Bunch of city trucks out clearing debris. U of H and all branches are apparently closed until the 22nd. Some ass broke into the Gamestop I work for (and the place I reserved DQ IV...) via the roof during the storm...so now thats got to be fixed, and I guess I wont be working till at least the end of the week, maybe longer.
My friend goes to U of H law and he's in class right now.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
smirkrevenge said:
day 4 without power, posting from my iPhone with candles burning for light. It's really been quite an interesting experience, but not one I would want to repeat. Lots of reading and sleeping, and thinking as well.

I propose that after this whole ordeal is over, those gaffers that have lived through this should get together for a little happy hour. I'd be happy to organize.

Be safe the rest of you...and hopefully my next post will be from modern civilization.

I would be down with that. Just start a thread about it.

I live in Spring. It is an area north of Houston and south of the Woodlands. No power, but I do have water and natural gas so I can cook and take hot showers. My parents have power now, so I high tailed it over there with my dog until I get power at my house. In comparison to Galveston, it isn't really that bad. It is just the fact that no power dominoes into a ton of other problems. Can't keep food cold, can't cook in some cases, can't communicate with others or get news. If the power gets up, many of the problems the Houston area are having will be solved. Hopefully that is soon. Many people are losing hope and depression is setting in. It is a rough situation. Going to the PODs daily has to be getting old for some people. It is harder when there is little to no damage in your neighborhood, yet you have no power. Probably easier to deal with it your house was rubble and lights are the least of your problems.

I stayed with no lights for 3 nights. The night of the storm was not that bad, just got a lil scary when the winds picked up around 5:00AM. It got loud and I could hear the windows straining a bit. But no damage to my house at all.

I must admit, I was not a believer that Ike could do this much damage.

dskillzhtown

captive said:
Seems like major media isnt covering it that much. Right now there's one or two articles on cnn, one of which isnt even about galveston/houston.

Drudge Report has the best coverage as usual.

I know it is trivial, but if this had happened to NYC or LA, there would be a telethon going on right now for them and it would be Ike 24/7 on the news. It doesn't really matter in the big picture of recovery, but kind of disheartening when the nation's 4th largest city is buried under a headline about Meagan Fox dating a stripper at one time in her life.

captive

dskillzhtown said:
I know it is trivial, but if this had happened to NYC or LA, there would be a telethon going on right now for them and it would be Ike 24/7 on the news. It doesn't really matter in the big picture of recovery, but kind of disheartening when the nation's 4th largest city is buried under a headline about Meagan Fox dating a stripper at one time in her life.
Your right it is trivial. Your also right about LA/NYC thing too.
Fuck 'em, we dont need them.

Im watching ABC 13's live coverage at work. They started a look and leave policy yesterday for Galveston.... this was not a good idea, it was a complete and total clusterfuck. They just showed 45 south into Galveston, backed up for 15 miles. This causes problems because electricians, contractors, clean up crews and employees of grocery stores that are trying to become operational cannot get in.

It was a dumb idea and poorly executed, but it was even dumber for EVERYONE to try and get in at once.

They have since suspended this policy, but there are still people sitting on 45 south getting turned around by police.

I would be down for meeting somewhere when things get back to some sense of normalcy. Maybe we can get together and watch a Texans game at a bar.

dskillzhtown

captive said:
Your right it is trivial. Your also right about LA/NYC thing too.
Fuck 'em, we dont need them.

Im watching ABC 13's live coverage at work. They started a look and leave policy yesterday for Galveston.... this was not a good idea, it was a complete and total clusterfuck. They just showed 45 south into Galveston, backed up for 15 miles. This causes problems because electricians, contractors, clean up crews and employees of grocery stores that are trying to become operational cannot get in.

It was a dumb idea and poorly executed, but it was even dumber for EVERYONE to try and get in at once.

They have since suspended this policy, but there are still people sitting on 45 south getting turned around by police.

I would be down for meeting somewhere when things get back to some sense of normalcy. Maybe we can get together and watch a Texans game at a bar.

It was a terrible idea. They should have expected all the residents to try to come at the same time as well as people who just wanted to see the damage who didn't even live there. People can come down when things are a bit cleaned up and they have running water atleast.

guess

dskillzhtown said:
It is just the fact that no power dominoes into a ton of other problems. Can't keep food cold, can't cook in some cases, can't communicate with others or get news. If the power gets up, many of the problems the Houston area are having will be solved. Hopefully that is soon.

I still don't have power either. Will utility lines be buried or at least made so they don't zoom in and out of trees, because if not, the next hurricane will do the exact same thing. We'll be looking at 99% of people without power again.

Trying to find lunch yesterday was just as bad as trying to get gas. Fast food lines were crazy where I live.

I just hope centerpoints worst case (only 50% restored by the 23rd) doesn't happen.

Teknoman

captive said:
My friend goes to U of H law and he's in class right now.

Seriously? Hmm maybe its just main campus, downtown, and clear lake?

EDIT: Nevermind, its just downtown and clear lake.

Miguel

They're getting about 5-10% a day it seems like. Slower going now, but still moving along at least.

Information as of Sept. 17, 2008, 4 p.m. CST

Total number of customers: 2.26 million
Total customers restored: 806,000
Total customers with power: 914,000 (40% of total customers)
Total customers without power: 1.34 million (60% of total customers)

* Outage and restoration numbers approximated
** Next expected update: 8 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 17, 2008

I'm still without power as of last night. About to swing by my apartment again after work, check on that (not holding my breath) then heading over to my brother's to play some RB2.

MechDX

new_jersey.jpg

TEXAS! WE'RE HERE!! A caravan of electrical workers from new Jersey.

got this from my electric provider:
http://www.samhouston.net/

My power came on a couple hours ago. Got my water well back up, cleaned the fridge and then the damn thing decides to stop working. This shit just never seems to stop.:lol

dskillzhtown said:

No, this is the fucking truth!! I beleive the problem is the Houston and Texas goverments arent fucking it up nearly as badly as others do when disasters happen. Just no news in it.

Fuck em!

I flew to Dallas this afternoon after my parents decided to foot the bill...and it's really quite something when a hot shower and a hot meal revitalizes the soul. I'm unsure if the power has returned to my complex, but I'm here until next week when hopefully work starts up again.

As for the happy hour stuff, be ready HOUSTON GAF! I'll make sure to get a thread going once things get back to semi-normal...

Miguel

I'm normally very good about keeping my cool and just letting things go, but I've lost it a few times over the past few days. I don't even have it bad at all. No power at the apartment but my mom's house does, and I'm staying there. Job is back, family is ok. I pretty much feel like a jackass for basically having to hang up on someone I was talking about that was asking me about the storm (she lives in California) because I couldn't even talk anymore. I've probably lost like 10 lbs since friday, and not due to lack of food. We had plenty. I just haven't been hungry. I've slept 18 hours since Friday night. 10 of those hours came in the past 30. I see stuff on TV that's 1000000000000000x worse than what's happened to me, and it makes me feel like more of a jackass for not being able to deal with this all that well, but well, I don't know.

blank.gif

guess

Miguel said:
Well, Jennifer Reyna has made my morning just a tad bit better.

1 half of the reason my tv is on channel 2

Finally got power back yesterday afternoon. Just in time too, since I have to go to work today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom