• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Ike: People Not Evacuating Face "Certain Death"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lhadatt

Phoenix said:
"we don't like in a bowl like New Orleans"
Anyone who lives in Galveston that says that is a moron.

Most people in Houston aren't saying that, though. The fact of the matter is most Gulf Coast buildings and houses (yes, even in Galveston - they learned their lesson 100 years ago) can withstand a Cat 2 or 3 hurricane. Example - most of the damage in NO from Katrina wasn't from Katrina, it was from the flooding. People who live in Houston should be aware that every so often they will get a storm that knocks out power for a week and creates a mild amount of chaos.

It's a testament to the goodwill, positive attitude, and sheer tenacity inherent in the Texan spirit and those influenced by it that we've gotten the cleanup effort organized this well in such a short period of time. It's "a Texas thing" -- we've done this before, and we'll do it again for the next storm.

joesmokey

metalmania4evr said:
I live in Cincinnati, Ohio, and we just had winds today up to 75mph. Trees were down on almost every side street I took, I saw an aluminum frame of some sort (heavy ntl) fall 50ft onto an oncoming car fucking this dude up bad. There about 1,000,000 residents in my area that are completely without power. Some surrounding cities don't even have any power at all. I really did not expect this shit to happen this far north from Texas. The last time we had hurricane winds was a little over a hundred years ago. Shit got real.
Yeah it's definitely a shitty time to be in Columbus. We're still without power but it's pretty hit or miss on who has power and who doesnt. Sigh, great way to start a week off.

radjago

joesmokey said:
Yeah it's definitely a shitty time to be in Columbus. We're still without power but it's pretty hit or miss on who has power and who doesnt. Sigh, great way to start a week off.
Posting this from the library in downtown Dayton. Most of the suburbs are out of power, but downtown seems to be okay.

I'll have to see if I can get a picture posted when the power gets back up at home, but one of our neighbors down the street had a huge pine tree that snapped and fell over their driveway and into their house. Pretty nasty stuff. Worst wind damage I've ever seen around here.

I'm in Cincinnati. Lost power at 3pm yesterday. Will be lucky to have power by this weekend. The ice storm a couple of years ago left me without electricity for 70 hours, the damage is much worse this time.

MIMIC

Banned
Wow. I live in Cleveland, OH and I JUST got my power back (went out around 4pm yesterday). The winds yesterday were something nasty.

Ciel

West U area. Finally got power on.

So I was hammered at a friend's the night of the storm and tried to walk home around 5ish. Took me an hour to walk a block and a half, dodging shingles and the random debris I could see. You don't really appreciate nature til you stumble home through a Cat. 2.

It was the first time I'd thanked God non-sarcastically. Felt like a champ when I got home.

Seth C

I can only imagine what the winds must have been like in Ohio yesterday. In Lexington we got some pretty strong winds, as strong or stronger than I'd ever seen here, and the storm tracked north of us. We didn't get any rain from it and it still broke some limbs off trees.

Dirtbag

Lhadatt said:
Anyone who lives in Galveston that says that is a moron.

Most people in Houston aren't saying that, though. The fact of the matter is most Gulf Coast buildings and houses (yes, even in Galveston - they learned their lesson 100 years ago) can withstand a Cat 2 or 3 hurricane. Example - most of the damage in NO from Katrina wasn't from Katrina, it was from the flooding. People who live in Houston should be aware that every so often they will get a storm that knocks out power for a week and creates a mild amount of chaos.

It's a testament to the goodwill, positive attitude, and sheer tenacity inherent in the Texan spirit and those influenced by it that we've gotten the cleanup effort organized this well in such a short period of time. It's "a Texas thing" -- we've done this before, and we'll do it again for the next storm.

Because Mississippi received the much more intense easterly winds, New Orleans got the strongest sea surge. But have you seen what Katrina did to the Mississippi coast?
Don't use New Orleans as the only example of the scurge of that hurricane.

The fact that New Orleans is a bowl might even help us avoid some of the major wind damage, but I'm just going off my own reasoning here - I've read nothing that woud indicate this.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I'm in Cincinnati. Lost power at 3pm yesterday. Will be lucky to have power by this weekend. The ice storm a couple of years ago left me without electricity for 70 hours, the damage is much worse this time.
Yeah man I remember that ice storm, it was fucking crazy. Dead forests looked like they were made of glass there was so much ice. But yeah, agreed, this is pretty bad. I live in a huge house with four other college dudes, and we have enough room to put some friends up for a few days until this gets resolved. I started calling people yesterday.

DustinC

beermonkey@tehbias said:

Same here. I should ask my boss if I can just live in my office until the power kicks back on. At least I can toss some food in the fridge here before that shit goes bad.

Raxus

I am in Kentucky where there is an estimated 500k without power. Estimates say we may not get power back for even a couple weeks in some areas.

joesmokey said:
Seriously. I'm in Grove City, and the wind was killing trees left and right. My neighbors broke in half (on to his house too!)
IMG_1297.jpg

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Punchy said:
There go a bunch of intelligent, upstanding McCain voters.
Yea the McCain supporters got drunk and taking care of themselves, the Obama supporters are busy complaining that shit isnt happening fast enough.

captive

Well, my parents just got here from Conroe, they havent had TV. And what i thought was confirmed, the first words out of their mouths when they saw the TV were oh my god and holy cow.

ScythD

Punchy said:
There go a bunch of intelligent, upstanding McCain voters.
Galveston and Harris county are two of the most democratically leaning counties in the state, both with large African-American communites.

KY GAF....Louisville has 273,000 homes without power due to the high winds that came through as part of Ike

im in the south end, i know that Portland, Newburg, Upper and Lower Highlands, Jtown, Aburndale, Fairdale, Fern Creek, PRP, Riverport, Okolona all without power

last i heard my specific neighborhood could take up to 9 days to get fixed

Morts

I'm in Dayton, and the wind knocked out our power around two or three yesterday, and supposedly it might not come back for 3-5 days, worst case scenario. All of our academic buildings have generators though, so we still get to go to class. Yay. I wish I could cook something. All the restaurants with power around here are packed.

captive

I found out FEMA has taken over Tmobile towers which makes sense since i dont have any signal what so ever.

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
Miguel said:
me too...

Hopefully I get power back as well.

Me three.

My fence is destroyed, but little else damage done. Pretty thankful.

Now get on the ball CenterPoint! Gimme mah watts!!!!!!!

Note, you're doing a good job so far CP.

dionysus

Yaldog
My apartment complex inside the loop is one of the few with power, I would estimate we have 3x the normal amount of people staying over right now. I know I have 4 people sleeping on my couch.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
dionysus said:
My apartment complex inside the loop is one of the few with power, I would estimate we have 3x the normal amount of people staying over right now. I know I have 4 people sleeping on my couch.

Ours is one of the few just outside the loop that presently has power and our parking lot is PACKED. I have three people crashing here myself.

I walked to my car earlier just thinking I'd drive around abit to get out of the apartment, saw people circling for spots and said fuck it.

Macam

Banned
Boston.com consistently seems to take some of the best pictures of any news organization. Thanks for sharing that link, MrJames.

ike19.jpg

greepoman

Phoenix said:
Reminds me of the Mississippi Gulf Coast after Katrina.

Yeah it's crazy...makes you wonder how many people might have been washed out to sea. Only 4 official deaths in Galveston so far cause there were bodies, but you gotta think it might take a while to figure out if anyone was washed out to sea. Surely someone that close to the beach would at least evacuate to higher ground right?

Also it never ceases to amaze me how many people rely on past experience from hurricanes that hit in completely different places, etc. to guide their decisions. Every day I see another interview to the effect, "well I've stayed through every hurricane in the last 50 years and I didn't expect it to be this bad...I wish I had evacuated".

News flash...hurricanes don't care what other hurricanes in the past have done.

B.K.

GodfatherX said:
KY GAF....Louisville has 273,000 homes without power due to the high winds that came through as part of Ike

im in the south end, i know that Portland, Newburg, Upper and Lower Highlands, Jtown, Aburndale, Fairdale, Fern Creek, PRP, Riverport, Okolona all without power

I wonder if that's where all the electric crews were going today. I was going south on I-75 to Knoxville, TN today and there were at least 100 vehicles from electric companies going north.

DustinC

B.K. said:
I wonder if that's where all the electric crews were going today. I was going south on I-75 to Knoxville, TN today and there were at least 100 vehicles from electric companies going north.

I know Duke Energy had called in some crews from Carolina, and this morning as I was going N on 275 you could see a whole fleet of trucks in the parking lot of Eastgate Mall in Cincy. My power was still off last night, here's hoping it's on tonight.

Smokey

Just got to school at University of Houston, been without power since I last posted on GAF on 9/12.

Let me tell you something, going through Ike was especially at night was one of the scariest things I've faced. The entire 2nd story of my house was shaking, things were flying off of roofs trees were snapping, there is a powerline a few streets away from me that snapped in half.

:/

Grocery store here are packed. My uncle went out yesterday and said it was a 30 minute wait for ONE bag of ice at the Randalls on 290 & Barker Cypress.

Haven't had any connection with the outside world since power is still out at my home and it's very hard to use the cell phone because the networks are overloaded. It's pretty bad.

I haven't had a chance to look but were there a lot of deaths in Galveston?

DustinC said:
I know Duke Energy had called in some crews from Carolina, and this morning as I was going N on 275 you could see a whole fleet of trucks in the parking lot of Eastgate Mall in Cincy. My power was still off last night, here's hoping it's on tonight.

Heh, I drove past the trucks too. I live in Mt. Carmel but work up in Monroe.

We had power for 20 min this morning and then we heard transformers popping. And I actually saw the trucks leaving the street about 1 min beforehand. Power is still out. :(

DustinC

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Heh, I drove past the trucks too. I live in Mt. Carmel but work up in Monroe.

We had power for 20 min this morning and then we heard transformers popping. And I actually saw the trucks leaving the street about 1 min beforehand. Power is still out. :(

I've been watching the numbers of on Duke's site showing how many people are without in the area. This morning Clermont was at 52k, right now they're at 64k. >_<

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Smokey said:
Yeah the only school that appears to be open!

Awesome!

At this point going to school is, tragically enough, just something to do. :D

We're lucky in that we've got power, and the Internet connection through my phone has steadily improved, but no cable, no point in going out unless you want to wait in some insane lines. I've got half a tank of gas in my car that I don't want to waste unless I absolutely have to considering all the gouging going on. About the most entertaining thing to do in the last few days is sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom