• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Patricia, strongest east pacific hurricane, set to make landfall in Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't wish this storm on anyone but a small part of me wishes it would hit the U.S. instead only because the storm of the century may be the only thing that can convince republicans that climate change is motherfucking real! And convincing the majority party of the world's superpower is important to all of us!

You want people to die to prove a point. How well-adjusted of you.

Dai101

Banned
jYlLETf.jpg

Zabka

I wouldn't wish this storm on anyone but a small part of me wishes it would hit the U.S. instead only because the storm of the century may be the only thing that can convince republicans that climate change is motherfucking real! And convincing the majority party of the world's superpower is important to all of us!

You mean the storm sent by God to punish America for legalizing gay marriage?

Ledbetter

GAF you're making me worry, is this really dangerous for Guadalajara? The day after Tomorrow level dangerous or worst/less? I'm I already dead? Because I have like no food supplies or medicine and its just raining a little bit and I'm actually chillin here watching GT Time....

It is already raining here, but nothing unusual. I think at about 7:00 it will start raining worse, I don't know how bad. But yes, get something to prepare at least for the weekend.

Wow, great news. Eyewall replacement happened at just the right time and it has weakened a lot.

Flight Level Wind (30 sec. Avg.): 142 knots (163.4 mph)
Peak (10 sec. Avg.) Flight Level Wind: 144 knots (165.7 mph)
SFMR Peak (10s Avg.) Sfc. Wind: 131 knots (150.8 mph)
Extrapolated Sfc. Pressure: 902.6 mb (~ 26.66 inHg)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Wow, great news. Eyewall replacement happened at just the right time and it has weakened a lot.

Isn't there still a chance the storm can reintensify once the new eyewall establishes itself?

Oh man, that's really good to hear. This thing looked to be an absolute terror a few hours ago.

I would never have believed only getting hit by a 165mph storm could seem like a boon

Looks possible hurricane hunters have aborted eyewall penetration.

Delay in second fly through due to extremely rough first penetration.

Insane Metal

Gold Member

And people laughed at me when I said it had weakened. Hah. That's great.

Where is that reading from it looks like they have aborted penetrating the inner core.

I know absolutely fuck all about hurricanes.

Does a shrunken eye mean it's gained power, or lost power?

More defined eye = more organized storm with tighter cyclone and stronger winds.

If the eye becomes less obvious and more "messy" it means the storm is weakening.

Tubie

Winds are still at 190MPH as per the last advisory.

This was all expected tho, they predicted it hitting land at ~150 MPH, still a catastrophic Hurricane.

Where is that reading from it looks like they have aborted penetrating the inner core.

No they didn't abort. They got the pressure from the eye and then turned and sampled the northeast quadrant. Pressure has risen and windspeed has dropped.

Still a very dangerous hurricane.

oOwOH18.jpg

Velcro Fly

These things always tend to weaken right before landfall on a bigger landmass. Passing over more shallow water limits the energy a little bit.

200 mph threshold though that is insane. And it was 200 mph for most of the day too.

I'm just very glad it is not a big storm. The devastation would be so much worse if the wind field was bigger.

I don't even know if it's possible for a large storm to get that strong.

Dai101

Banned
Well, it just stoped raining here. Still very cloudy and cold tho'

Also, thi guy owes me a new monitor:

Melchor • hace 2 horas

Que yo sepa el Huracán más poderoso del planeta es "El Huracán Ramírez" la historia no miente.

AmyS

This Hurricane seems to be like a more powerful version of Andrew, small but absolutely devastating winds & storm surge

pulsemyne

Actually the telemetry looks like they skirted the eye and bugged out of the there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom